Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our No.1 Pick To The Jets For D. Revis

It's a fantasy..I know but the Jets need a QB

that boy they have couldnt find a chicken dinner in a henhouse...

...Can you imagine our 'D' with Revis locking down one side of the field

..while Freeney and Mathis close in on the unfortunate passer..?

Of course, I'm assuming that Revis would not be 10 yards off the ball....in our 'scheme'

hes good, but has a huge contract. i dont mind have weak corner play as long as we can stop the run consistently, and we can get Peyton back with plenty of healthy weapons and a healthy o line. a shut down corner would not make sense in our defensive scheme since we like to play 10 yards off the ball on 3 and 5.

If we are serious about it, why not sign Asante Samuel for the rest of the season for a 3rd rounder and franchise tag him for 1 year and see what we can get out of him? Cromartie fetched a 3rd rounder, I expect we can have him for a 3rd too. The Eagles are shopping him around. The question is, do we have the cap room to do so?

But if we can make that cap room, it also gives our CB group some experience, Powers will be a good No.2, and Lacey/Rucker/Thomas/Johnson can all be rotated at the No.3 or No.4 spot based on whether we go nickel or dime. This would also allow us to not have to draft CB if it is a reach (it normally is early in the top 5 in most drafts) and if we cannot find trade down partners in the draft (in a fans ideal world, yay for a trade down, but I doubt Holmgren and Mike Brown are going to give up their 2 first round picks for 1 pick; if it were Polian with 2 first round picks, we wouldn't want to trade up either).

Edited by chad72

the eagles are loaded with picks in 2012 and are looking for players instead of picks. i thought the same thing though.

Our pick is going to be low enough that our 3rd rounder would be still attractive.

Besides, I looked up this page and they have enough free agents for 2012 that are likely to leave:

http://www.kffl.com/...tion=All&y=2012

Looking at this speculative draft order: http://walterfootbal...ftorder2012.php - I count 11 picks for the Eagles - 6 in the first 4 rounds - 2 second round picks and 2 fourth round picks.

I don't think they will mind an extra 3rd round pick :). We all know about picks in later rounds - quantity is not the same as quality.

Edited by chad72

This says the Eagles want a veteran for their defensive front seven. Would anybody consider a Mathis for Samual swap and would either team do it.

http://profootballta...d-be-available/

I would do it since our draft pick is low enough to get a quality DE (Quinton Coples fits a 4-3 DE to a tee). Plus, instead of worrying about 2 contracts for Mathis & Wayne, we can retain most of our free agents with an incentive based contract for Wayne and sign other defensive pieces for our D, IMO.

Edited by chad72

I'd have no problem with that deal :) Doubt it happens but it would benefit both sides.

I agree, probably won't happen.

I would do it since our draft pick is low enough to get a quality DE. Plus, instead of worrying about 2 contracts for Mathis & Wayne, we can retain most of our free agents with an incentive based contract for Wayne and sign other defensive pieces for our D, IMO.

I would do it too. Like Jason said, it benefits both teams and we wouldn't have to overpay to keep him next yr. which is what im afraid the Colts will do.

Edited by Balzer40

I would do it since our draft pick is low enough to get a quality DE (Quinton Coples fits a 4-3 DE to a tee). Plus, instead of worrying about 2 contracts for Mathis & Wayne, we can retain most of our free agents with an incentive based contract for Wayne and sign other defensive pieces for our D, IMO.

If I was Wayne I'd be asking my contract be based upon who my QB is throwing the ball to me...HAHAHA :)

I would trade the #1 pick for Revis in a heartbeat.

If we traded Mathis for Samuel, we could trade down, the Dolphins would give us a ton for Andrew Luck. We could get Quinton Couples and maybe Michael Floyd in the 1st round. I really like that idea.

Interesting, but would the Eagles consider it?

Also, isn't the trade deadline like...now?

Interesting, but would the Eagles consider it?

Also, isn't the trade deadline like...now?

I believe it was 4:00pm EST and since you posted at 4:07 then yeah, it's pretty much now...lol... so unless there's just a delay in reporting it then chances are nothing was done.

Edited by Jason

This says the Eagles want a veteran for their defensive front seven. Would anybody consider a Mathis for Samual swap and would either team do it.

http://profootballta...d-be-available/

So, for the system we're designed to implement now that requires a pass rushing front 4 and physical CB's that can help in run support, we're going to trade away one of our two key pass rushers and pick up the most unwilling tackler in the NFL since DeAngelo Hall. And one of the reasons that it would have been beneficial for us is to help us sign people next year, even though Samuel is set to make between $8M and $10M each of the next two seasons?

@bavanlan: Completely out of place for me to say this, but while your signature is cute, it applies to basketball, not football. In basketball, one guy can play four positions. Not only is an individual performance far more important in basketball than in football, each position also has relatively the same goal. Players are often isolated as well.

Can't draft a QB and have him make tackles, or lead the league in pancake blocks. Can't draft a WR and have him lead the league in TFL's or completion percentage.

In the NFL, need trumps talent 9 times out of 10; but finding where they cross matters most.

And one of the reasons that it would have been beneficial for us is to help us sign people next year, even though Samuel is set to make between $8M and $10M each of the next two seasons?

OK, you got me there. I thought Asante Samuel was going to be a free agent after this year and hence thought he could be tagged next year. That was the premise of my suggestion. Also, I made an assumption the Eagles would assume Asante's contract for this year in a straight player swap :). Since those are not the cases, probably not a good idea for a trade.

But then, with Moala having played 3-4 DE at USC, Anderson and Brayton playing run down DEs, Hughes and Wheeler playing a lot of OLB duty stand up and blitzing in their college systems, do the Colts have better personnel than they had in the past for playing a 3-4? Mathis would make a great 3-4 OLB too. Freeney as a 3-4 MLB like a Lawrence Timmons is the dilemma. While he will have an advantage playing against guards for pass rush, would it work if we drafted a big 3-4 NT and strong safety to go with our current personnel? Nevis can be our pass down NT ala Jay Ratliff for the Cowboys.

Just curious, thinking out loud.

Edited by chad72

Luck for Revis? That is absurd. Revis is decent, but not worth what Luck is.

Um...I'm not advocating this move for a multitude of reasons (system, play style, etc.), but that was an absurd comment.

Revis is a proven All Pro. He's the best CB in the league, bar none.

Luck has done nothing in the NFL. He hasn't taken a snap. He's put up good numbers for a mid-major football school in a weak conference that he's never won.

If you are going to root against a trade like this, at least put up something that makes sense.

Edited by doogansquest

Um...I'm not advocating this move for a multitude of reasons (system, play style, etc.), but that was an absurd comment.

Revis is a proven All Pro. He's the best CB in the league, bar none.

Luck has done nothing in the NFL. He hasn't taken a snap. He's put up good numbers for a mid-major football school in a weak conference that he's never won.

If you are going to root against a trade like this, at least put up something that makes sense.

that might be true and all and i agree...but Luck is also more...not because he has proven talent, but because he is #1 pick and above all he is hope.

the dolphins desperately need that.