Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brad Wells and his Cronies at it again

The Motto

Your right, it must be the coaching.... lol, Probably has nothing to do with a all of our rookies from last year getting a year of experience in, and all of the FA aquisitions we got. 

I'm not sure why some people here are so quick to give the coaches all the credit, if anything this gameplan is leaving points off the board, and I could argue that we should be at the very least 7-1 due to coaching flaws. If we still had Bruce here, you would see the same type of improvement if not even better.

Edit: I'm not saying the coaches are bad though, the coaching of the players seems to be going good, I wouldn't say "stellar" but good for sure. The gameplan's sometimes leave a lot to be desired, and that is where my gripe is with the coaching, When the gameplanning comes together (to which i'm cutting pep slack because he is a rookie) this team and coaching will probably reach great levels, but to say that the coaches are the reason for the colts success is silly, I mean if we don't have Andrew Luck we lose those 10 GW drives over the last two years. Then how does the coaching look?

Do you just assume that players will just naturally get better? Do you think that without the coaches, Luck, Hilton and the 2nd year guys would still be the same? The coaches have pretty much EVERYTHING to do with the development. So if you see guys like TY and these 2nd year guys improve, you can thank the coaches for that.

Leave points off the board? Right, that's why the Colts average 27 points a game and are ranked 8th in points per game. That's not leaving many points off the board. Every team will have a couple of games each year that they will look back on and say, really we lost that? EVERY TEAM! The Colts lost to the Jets last year, who were horrible. You know what though, the Colts may have lost a bad one to the Chargers and/or Dolphins, but for God's sake they beat the Broncos, Seahawks and 49ers (as well as the Texans on the road, which is always hard). I forget who made a thread about it, but he was right in saying that that is a huge accomplishment in itself. A quick side note that's related to the coaches, all had phenomenal (especially in the 49ers game) game plans going in that were executed perfectly. 

Has the gameplan been before every second of the way? No. Do we occasionally yell at the screen saying pass more? Yes we do, but overall, this staff has done a fine job. Pep is progressing in the NFL, he's learning, and Chuck and Manusky have done a great job on defense. They just keep improving. Of course Andrew Luck is the main reason the Colts win games. He has something no coach can coach. But when this defense shut downs the niners, for example, I don't just say, good job defense. I say good job coaches. I think if you look at the way the defense is progressing, I think that's thanks in large part to the coaches. The defense didn't get that much better talent wise. Sure they added a couple of studs, but they take them like 12 spots higher in the defensive rankings, that's thanks in part to the coaches.

These coaches have done a great job this year, and in these last 2 years. 

Do you just assume that players will just naturally get better? Do you think that without the coaches, Luck, Hilton and the 2nd year guys would still be the same? The coaches have pretty much EVERYTHING to do with the development. So if you see guys like TY and these 2nd year guys improve, you can thank the coaches for that.

Leave points off the board? Right, that's why the Colts average 27 points a game and are ranked 8th in points per game. That's not leaving many points off the board. Every team will have a couple of games each year that they will look back on and say, really we lost that? EVERY TEAM! The Colts lost to the Jets last year, who were horrible. You know what though, the Colts may have lost a bad one to the Chargers and/or Dolphins, but for God's sake they beat the Broncos, Seahawks and 49ers (as well as the Texans on the road, which is always hard). I forget who made a thread about it, but he was right in saying that that is a huge accomplishment in itself. A quick side note that's related to the coaches, all had phenomenal (especially in the 49ers game) game plans going in that were executed perfectly. 

Has the gameplan been before every second of the way? No. Do we occasionally yell at the screen saying pass more? Yes we do, but overall, this staff has done a fine job. Pep is progressing in the NFL, he's learning, and Chuck and Manusky have done a great job on defense. They just keep improving. Of course Andrew Luck is the main reason the Colts win games. He has something no coach can coach. But when this defense shut downs the niners, for example, I don't just say, good job defense. I say good job coaches. I think if you look at the way the defense is progressing, I think that's thanks in large part to the coaches. The defense didn't get that much better talent wise. Sure they added a couple of studs, but they take them like 12 spots higher in the defensive rankings, that's thanks in part to the coaches.

Andy, I love your passion for the Colts, and few can match you. But when you get a little bit older, you'll realize it's just mental *. I was where you are a few years ago, but find my time better just living. Don't get me wrong, when the Colts are on, I'm as devoted as the biggest Jesus freak. But spending every waking moment thinking about the colts won't change anything. Enjoy them when you watch them, then move on. We all have lives we could spend more (useless) time on.  :facepalm:

But sometimes I think we get TOO carried away as if our lives and sanity depended on it. I used to be that way, but thankfully I've toned down a bit. Life is actually easier now. This coming from a man with a Colts tattoo.

We can agree to disagree, I think there is a natural progression from 1st year player to 2nd year player that would show improvement (assuming they were dedicated) regardless of who was coaching. I agree though that the playcalling is progressing along nicely, and I already said I cut pep slack because he is a rookie, I think they will eventually settle into something that works consistently, instead of relying on the heroics of Luck to cover up a botched gameplan.

Your right, it must be the coaching.... lol, Probably has nothing to do with a all of our rookies from last year getting a year of experience in, and all of the FA aquisitions we got. 

I'm not sure why some people here are so quick to give the coaches all the credit, if anything this gameplan is leaving points off the board, and I could argue that we should be at the very least 7-1 due to coaching flaws. If we still had Bruce here, you would see the same type of improvement if not even better.

Edit: I'm not saying the coaches are bad though, the coaching of the players seems to be going good, I wouldn't say "stellar" but good for sure. The gameplan's sometimes leave a lot to be desired, and that is where my gripe is with the coaching, When the gameplanning comes together (to which i'm cutting pep slack because he is a rookie) this team and coaching will probably reach great levels, but to say that the coaches are the reason for the colts success is silly, I mean if we don't have Andrew Luck we lose those 10 GW drives over the last two years. Then how does the coaching look?

Everyone look out - SilentHill is backing up. Ok - so your premise is that, and I quote "the coaches are less than stellar" but then admit above that "the coaching of players seems to be going good". Which is it? You seem to waffle more than my wife, a notrious waffler.

* They are 6-2. Somebody is doing something right.

* The have outscored opponents 101-57 in the 2nd half - doesn't that speak to adjustments the coaching staff makes at halftime?

* I love Luck and can't wait to watch him for the next 10 years but someone is coaching him up to help him be as good as he is.

Everyone look out - SilentHill is backing up. Ok - so your premise is that, and I quote "the coaches are less than stellar" but then admit above that "the coaching of players seems to be going good". Which is it? You seem to waffle more than my wife, a notrious waffler.

* They are 6-2. Somebody is doing something right.

* The have outscored opponents 101-57 in the 2nd half - doesn't that speak to adjustments the coaching staff makes at halftime?

* I love Luck and can't wait to watch him for the next 10 years but someone is coaching him up to help him be as good as he is.

Stellar is on the same level as exceptional, very good, etc.

plain ol' good is on a different level, you should really use a dictionary before you call someone out on stuff you think you know about, it wont make you look so silly in the future.

Let me preface this with, I think some of the game day coaching leaves some to be desired but the HC and OC are still new to their roles and they seem to be learning (and this comment is not directed at you SilentHill but more at Brad Wells and some of the other posts on this thread,I also think that the person that bases their opinion of a coach solely on his game day coaching shows complete ignorance of a coaches responsibilities).

I find it curious that you blame the one additional loss on coaching flaws but not a player execution.  It seems to me that the Colts could have won the Miami game had Luck executed a pass properly rather than trying to force it to Wayne.  Or they may have looked like they belonged in the NFL against the Chargers if the O and D would have executed better.  Even the 10 comebacks you mentioned... yes the players have to have talent to pull that off but comebacks are also a state of mind and that comes from the top.

Andy, I love your passion for the Colts, and few can match you. But when you get a little bit older, you'll realize it's just mental *. I was where you are a few years ago, but find my time better just living. Don't get me wrong, when the Colts are on, I'm as devoted as the biggest Jesus freak. But spending every waking moment thinking about the colts won't change anything. Enjoy them when you watch them, then move on. We all have lives we could spend more (useless) time on.  :facepalm:

But sometimes I think we get TOO carried away as if our lives and sanity depended on it. I used to be that way, but thankfully I've toned down a bit. Life is actually easier now. This coming from a man with a Colts tattoo.

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Don't talk to me like I'm a child. I'm an adult thank you very much.

I don't think every waking second about the Colts, but when I come on a Colts forum, yes, my mind is usually on the Colts.

Thanks for the insight pop, but I'm ok. Jeesh. 

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? Don't talk to me like I'm a child. I'm an adult thank you very much.

I don't think every waking second about the Colts, but when I come on a Colts forum, yes, my mind is usually on the Colts.

Thanks Andy. I could smell your indignation from 5000 miles. This place is gold......

We can agree to disagree, I think there is a natural progression from 1st year player to 2nd year player that would show improvement (assuming they were dedicated) regardless of who was coaching. I agree though that the playcalling is progressing along nicely, and I already said I cut pep slack because he is a rookie, I think they will eventually settle into something that works consistently, instead of relying on the heroics of Luck to cover up a botched gameplan.

That's not always the case. Some second year players look awful, in some cases nothing like the promising talent they were as a rookie. It's not all that rare, either. I think player progression is somewhat a testament to coaching.

That's not always the case. Some second year players look awful, in some cases nothing like the promising talent they were as a rookie. It's not all that rare, either. I think player progression is somewhat a testament to coaching.

I think it's more of a testament to work ethic, to each their own.

Keep it up and you're going over my knee.

No credit to coaching? 

I'm not trying to take it all away from the players. Talent and hard work are obviously the primary factors.

Nope, I agree exactly with what you are saying there, the coaches make an impact for sure, and we have some decent coaching that is continuing to improve, but I'll always give the majority of the credit to the players, on the flip side a bad coach can ruin a good player, so i'm glad we don't have that going on.

Nope, I agree exactly with what you are saying there, the coaches make an impact for sure, and we have some decent coaching that is continuing to improve, but I'll always give the majority of the credit to the players, on the flip side a bad coach can ruin a good player, so i'm glad we don't have that going on.

Yeah we're kind of saying the same thing. Look at Tim Jennings. Went to a different team that ran the same base defense, and was suddenly a Pro Bowler. It helps that he was playing with more talented teammates, but I think he was being deployed in better situations.

Eh, it wasn't his worse written article. He spelled most of the words right.

I do have a serious question - does he get paid to write, or is the website a hobby for him? Obviously, he's not a very good writer, poor comprehension and poor composition are typical for him. He relies mainly on sensationalism. I can't take him seriously.

For those saying coaches aren't that important remember that the next time someone complains about the play calling. If coaches aren't that important and it's all about the players then when things don't go well it's mostly the players fault too.

Thank you!

They're always the scapegoats when things go badly and never get any recognition go well. Great post!

The more attention people give Wells, the more relevant he becomes.  He gets followers by retweeting Chappell, Kravitz and the other real members of the Indianapolis media.  Unfortunately, they occasionally respond to his tweets at them, which broadcasts all of his tweets to their followers.  On the surface, you see a guy that writes for a site called "Stampede Blue" and following him seems like a no brainer.  Hopefully at some point Indy media learns their lesson and ignores this guy.

Brad is a tool for fools....that is not in question. He writes to sensationalize anything.....If a player tripped coming out o f the tunnel, he would go on a tirade about how horribly constructed the stadium is and that Irsay and upper management was complicit in the faulty design to ensure that they would get another new stadium built when it suits them......The truth about Pagano is, Not enough body of work to formulate an opinion. Many will argue his level of influence in absentia last year....No one outside the club can really say how he may or may not have had an impact on those games. So if you put those aside and look at only the games where he has been physically present....you can draw a few things, and this is where Brad could point out some "rookie coach" mistakes, instead he takes a thread and tries to weave a blanket that would cover the entire state of Indiana.

Pagano is learning and developing his "style" of coaching with each passing week. He has made some dubious decisions or lack there of moves, but that comes with learning the position. Overall, as a fan, I cant argue with the results we are 6-2 giant killers........both losses we looked liked the bad news bears.....but no team and no season is perfect.......I will live with the rookie errors from the coach, because I believe he coaches with "feel" he is not afraid to make the call in the moment......that builds confidence in your player that you wont go all Kubiak conservative when things are going your way, you are going to stay aggressive scoreboard be damned.

But crucifying Pagano for a few rookie mistakes is just wrong, let the body of work accumulate, speculate and second guess the mistakes if you must along the way, and let a body of work be built to extrapolate an opinion on......