Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fleener/Richardson

Greenoughrunner

I think they both did a better job than they usally do. Richardson didnt have that many good runs but was good in the pass. And Fleener had a couple catches and the 2pt one was amazing.

Fleener has been solid last few weeks, hope this quiets all the Fleener haters out there....He is only in his second year and will continue to get better.  that 2pt conversion catch was amazing...

They need to run more screens and get T-Rich more involved in the passing game, he's dangerous in space.

Yep. Was throwing a fit about it all night. The best we've seen from TRich has been been off of dump passes. I'm a bit lost about Pep at this time. 

On one hand, I can point out a number of great calls, great situational play calling and terrific design/formation. On the other.....SOOOOO many times, predictable situational playcalling and ignoring basic football 101 (screens/passes to the flat is a great way to alleviate pressure from the blitz).

Yep. Was throwing a fit about it all night. The best we've seen from TRich has been been off of dump passes. I'm a bit lost about Pep at this time. 

On one hand, I can point out a number of great calls, great situational play calling and terrific design/formation. On the other.....SOOOOO many times, predictable situational playcalling and ignoring basic football 101 (screens/passes to the flat is a great way to alleviate pressure from the blitz).

I couldn't agree more, we finally got it together in 4th in terms of protecting Luck and look what happened. When they were sending the house every down I was screaming for a screen pass (as much as one dares scream at 3:30AM). 

It just seems like they want him to be that power back which he is not. He is dangerous in space as we've seen.

We bringing the house we would kill them with the dump off! At least he finally attempted to get some passes to him this game. Need to run him off tackle so ha can make a cut and be gone. He's hard to take down and dangerous in space. We need to use him like we do Brown.

It just seems like they want him to be that power back which he is not. He is dangerous in space as we've seen.

...and that's the issue in a nutshell. Actually....this is the issue in a nutshell....Walnut_crop2.jpg

You can't see it because it's in a nutshell. 

TRich can be a great power back, but he's got so many other tools we're barely touching. This offense, Pep namely, isn't being dynamic enough with Richardson so far. 

Fleener catching the 2 PT conversion in double coverage was fantastic. Then to top it off with jazz hands. lol Silly Coby.

Richardson surprised me a little bit. Seems to do well catching the ball moreso than running the ball behind the line of scrimmage. 

Donald Brown, 6 carries and 49 yards. Gees. Our running back situation is confusing on who to use primarily.

Fleener catching the 2 PT conversion in double coverage was fantastic. Then to top it off with jazz hands. lol Silly Coby.

Richardson surprised me a little bit. Seems to do well catching the ball moreso than running the ball behind the line of scrimmage.

Donald Brown, 6 carries and 49 yards. Gees. Our running back situation is confusing on who to use primarily.

Brown had a 24 yd run. He's been doing better but he's not going to get tough yards. Give him a crease and he's gone. Trent throws body blows, Brown throws the knock out.

6 carries...49 yards...Brown should split time with T. Rich...bith have strengths and flaws.

..buit Brown is averaging 6 yards a carry..until that stops..give him the ball a little more

we went away from running the ball and play action. it worked great in the 1st quarter. luck was off in the 1st half. dropping back to pass to wr's dropping the ball luck getting drilled didn'tmake any sense to me. we stop running when it's working, then we keep doing it when it's not working. this offense could be much better.

Such a nice article from PFF showing what a top power back he is. Funny how some see one thing...

No doubt he needs to be used in all aspects.

I see an O-Line that is poor at a basic guard pull, this lack of skill/athleticism makes it even harder for them to get out to make good blocks for screens. A work in progress. This GOOD Line that boneheads were bragging on after a couple weeks is still Really Bad up the middle, and our $7M Rt T is very mediocre. Last night they showed us more of the horror we were subjected to last season.

6 carries...49 yards...Brown should split time with T. Rich...bith have strengths and flaws.

..buit Brown is averaging 6 yards a carry..until that stops..give him the ball a little more

I thought they were doing that more. Splitting series at least. Brown did good. Had a nice 24 yarder

Brown had a 24 yd run. He's been doing better but he's not going to get tough yards. Give him a crease and he's gone. Trent throws body blows, Brown throws the knock out.

Brown's 24 yard run was tough yards, with a stiff arm for good measure. He ran through some arm tackles as well. He's not going to just move the pile and squeeze out four yards when there's no hole, but then again, neither is Richardson, based on what we've seen so far. I think we should use both backs interchangeably, giving Richardson traps and draws along with the power runs, and doing the same for Brown. Use them both on third down. At this point, Richardson isn't doing anything better than Brown is, but partially because of the play calling, Brown is getting bigger gains. We should be more multiple with each back, rather than designating one the power back, and the other the change back. 

Richardson isn't very good at sticking his foot in the dirt and exploding, so I don't think screens are the answer. He is very good in space though, I saw Norv Turner trying to use him as more of a Darren Sproles type before he was traded, I think that's where he can be his best. Pass him the pass and get it to him with room to run, he'll break tackles and make guys miss in open space. He's just not a very good running back right now. 

Richardson isn't very good at sticking his foot in the dirt and exploding, so I don't think screens are the answer. He is very good in space though, I saw Norv Turner trying to use him as more of a Darren Sproles type before he was traded, I think that's where he can be his best. Pass him the pass and get it to him with room to run, he'll break tackles and make guys miss in open space. He's just not a very good running back right now. 

It doesn't matter who the back is, when the defense is blitzing like the Texans were, a screen is a good idea. We didn't really run any misdirections to take advantage of their pursuit. Up until the end of the third quarter, I thought Bruce Arians was still in the building...

They need to run more screens and get T-Rich more involved in the passing game, he's dangerous in space.

T-Rich and DB in space via bubble screens, middle screens and dump-offs...

I want to see at least 10 throws to the TE...that is the most dangerous weapon in football not named Megatron and Andre Johnson :)

It doesn't matter who the back is, when the defense is blitzing like the Texans were, a screen is a good idea. We didn't really run any misdirections to take advantage of their pursuit. Up until the end of the third quarter, I thought Bruce Arians was still in the building...

Me too.....

For the first time looking at Pep he looked confused to me....

Brown's 24 yard run was tough yards, with a stiff arm for good measure. He ran through some arm tackles as well. He's not going to just move the pile and squeeze out four yards when there's no hole, but then again, neither is Richardson, based on what we've seen so far. I think we should use both backs interchangeably, giving Richardson traps and draws along with the power runs, and doing the same for Brown. Use them both on third down. At this point, Richardson isn't doing anything better than Brown is, but partially because of the play calling, Brown is getting bigger gains. We should be more multiple with each back, rather than designating one the power back, and the other the change back.

No I agree. He has been running hard. They could do a better job splitting their carries.

Me too.....

For the first time looking at Pep he looked confused to me....

I don't remember seeing any shots of Pep. I saw Clyde talking to Luck on the sidelines, and by the way, kudos to Clyde for helping Luck settle in and make some plays.

However, I thought Pagano looked overwhelmed early in the game. Clearly frustrated, especially after the overturned fumble recovery, and a few times he had an almost blank stare over there, like he didn't know what was going on. Everybody knows I love Chuck Pagano, but I flashed back to Jim Caldwell from 2011 when I saw that. 

End of the day, the coaches made adjustments, the players responded, and we won. But I was concerned that our coaching staff was incapable of making the necessary changes a few times last night. 

I don't remember seeing any shots of Pep. I saw Clyde talking to Luck on the sidelines, and by the way, kudos to Clyde for helping Luck settle in and make some plays.

However, I thought Pagano looked overwhelmed early in the game. Clearly frustrated, especially after the overturned fumble recovery, and a few times he had an almost blank stare over there, like he didn't know what was going on. Everybody knows I love Chuck Pagano, but I flashed back to Jim Caldwell from 2011 when I saw that. 

End of the day, the coaches made adjustments, the players responded, and we won. But I was concerned that our coaching staff was incapable of making the necessary changes a few times last night. 

Well stated.  The loss of Reggie was obvious to me and probably every football fan, and halftime adjustments and a good Pagano pep-talk needed to happen.

I did have a feeling that the momentum would change when Kubiak went down.  (Once again sad that it occurred)  The defensive adjustments were nice.  Angerer was stout as was Landry....not to mention two good games in a row for Walden.

Yeah, maybe Pagano just didn't anticipate all the rollouts. I mean, not even Schaub ever ran it that well.  We were bringing guys, not bringing guys, and Keenum was blowing us up with it. If he didn't anticipate or underestimated it, shame on him.  No excuses, but even so, it happens to every coach on occasion.  He made good second half adjustments and was able to get a bit more pressure on Keenum.  And lets be honest, Andre Johnson may not be the player he was 5 years ago, but when he's at his best, he'd even give Richard Sherman and Darrell Revis fits.  He's a physically gifted receiver that measurables alone that provide a lot of mismatches in his favor.

Yeah, maybe Pagano just didn't anticipate all the rollouts. I mean, not even Schaub ever ran it that well.  We were bringing guys, not bringing guys, and Keenum was blowing us up with it. If he didn't anticipate or underestimated it, shame on him.  No excuses, but even so, it happens to every coach on occasion.  He made good second half adjustments and was able to get a bit more pressure on Keenum.  And lets be honest, Andre Johnson may not be the player he was 5 years ago, but when he's at his best, he'd even give Richard Sherman and Darrell Revis fits.  He's a physically gifted receiver that measurables alone that provide a lot of mismatches in his favor.

The opener in 2010, Schaub had the bootleg working. Last night reminded me of that game.

As for Pagano, I don't think AJ going off is what worried him. That's fixable. Most of it was mistakes by the secondary: Bethea lost the ball, Davis fell down, Davis bit on a double move, Butler released AJ 25 yards down the field, Cassius Vaughn was Cassius Vaughn... It's irritating, but very fixable.

Same thing for the read option they hit us with. We ran a perfect scrape/gap exchange to shut that down late in the game. That stuff is fixable.

What I think bothered Pagano was the dropped passes, the special teams mistakes, and the poor officiating. We fixed the special teams protections, but it was kind of like "what next?" for a while. (After the false start by Harvey, I was thinking we were gonna have a punt blocked down near our own end zone.) Stuff that you can talk to the players about, but you can't really hold a deep coverage drill in the middle of a game, you know?

The opener in 2010, Schaub had the bootleg working. Last night reminded me of that game.

As for Pagano, I don't think AJ going off is what worried him. That's fixable. Most of it was mistakes by the secondary: Bethea lost the ball, Davis fell down, Davis bit on a double move, Butler released AJ 25 yards down the field, Cassius Vaughn was Cassius Vaughn... It's irritating, but very fixable.

Same thing for the read option they hit us with. We ran a perfect scrape/gap exchange to shut that down late in the game. That stuff is fixable.

What I think bothered Pagano was the dropped passes, the special teams mistakes, and the poor officiating. We fixed the special teams protections, but it was kind of like "what next?" for a while. (After the false start by Harvey, I was thinking we were gonna have a punt blocked down near our own end zone.) Stuff that you can talk to the players about, but you can't really hold a deep coverage drill in the middle of a game, you know?

Well yeah.  Some guy no one knew named Arian Foster had a lot to do with that.  What did he run for that game?  Like 250 yards and a couple of TDs?  But yeah, I get what you mean.  Very similar feeling as the Chargers game.  Nothing could go right, and when it did, we got a few bad breaks with the officiating.  one of the more difficult halves I can ever remember watching.  Credit to the Texans for capitalizing on it and jumping out to a 21-3 lead.  They really were playing lights out the first half and they didn't need our help going into the half with a lead. But we obliged them anyway. 

I thought arians had joined the Texans in the first half the way Johnson kept getting wide open lol.

Well yeah.  Some guy no one knew named Arian Foster had a lot to do with that.  What did he run for that game?  Like 250 yards and a couple of TDs?  But yeah, I get what you mean.  Very similar feeling as the Chargers game.  Nothing could go right, and when it did, we got a few bad breaks with the officiating.  one of the more difficult halves I can ever remember watching.  Credit to the Texans for capitalizing on it and jumping out to a 21-3 lead.  They really were playing lights out the first half and they didn't need our help going into the half with a lead. But we obliged them anyway. 

They should probably have been up bigger. Missed field goal, turned it over on downs, etc. 

But yeah, it's frustrating getting worked over by bootlegs early in the game. It undoes our pass rush for the entire game.