Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Delone Carter (Merge)

Dtman513

I feel Carter didn't make Brown expendable. I feel both backs can have a role on this Colts team. Most teams carry three backs, Carter brings a toughness to the back field a between the guard back that the team has been lacking for years. Carter is a goal line threat just because of the way he runs(downhill). Brown on the other hand is more of a catch the ball out of the backfield back; not a every down back. I believe they both can compliment each other if put in the right game plan. Go Colts.

To answer the question of the OP, no. Brown YPC 5.6, Carter YPC 3.1. Carter has 5 times as many carries, still only one TD. Brown has been way more efficient, not to mention he's number one on the depth chart now. Brown was averaging 7 YPC against the number one defense in the league, but everybody's hero Carter could barely get out of the backfield.

And please stop with the cherry picked YouTube vids. There are videos of Peyton screaming at Jeff Saturday as well, does that mean we should replace him too?

Oh lord... You said the "5 times as many carries" thing, like Donald Brown is playing every game and just shredding defenses. He's only ran 13 times for 73 yards this year, and luckily for him, three of those runs were matched with decent blocking and poor defense. 43 yards on those three runs, including the 18 yard TD where Nate Clements took a horrible angle and just blew the play for Cincinnati. The other 10 carries for 30 yards are close enough to Donald's usual production, which I am not blaming him for per say.

Sure, he hasn't done what they thought he would, and I believe he will never produce at a high level, even for backup standards, but that's thanks in part to the Colts lousy run blocking. Whether it's Addai, Brown, or Carter, they aren't going to get consistently great blocking, other than one or two games a year. Comparing Brown's production to Carter's production is like comparing stepping in dog poop or tripping over a rock. Both kinda suck, but one's a little better than the other.

What it comes down to is who produces better in the blitz pickup and receiving game. Neither are doing much in these categories. Because of all this, I think Donald Brown could eventually become expendable, because we really don't need two guys who are producing at the same poor level, on a passing team with no run blocking. Not that Brown is that much worse, but because he's not that much better. At least we have Addai, who in open space has good moves, can pass protect like a champ, and has cool hair.

Oh lord... You said the "5 times as many carries" thing, like Donald Brown is playing every game and just shredding defenses. He's only ran 13 times for 73 yards this year, and luckily for him, three of those runs were matched with decent blocking and poor defense. 43 yards on those three runs, including the 18 yard TD where Nate Clements took a horrible angle and just blew the play for Cincinnati. The other 10 carries for 30 yards are close enough to Donald's usual production, which I am not blaming him for per say.

Sure, he hasn't done what they thought he would, and I believe he will never produce at a high level, even for backup standards, but that's thanks in part to the Colts lousy run blocking. Whether it's Addai, Brown, or Carter, they aren't going to get consistently great blocking, other than one or two games a year. Comparing Brown's production to Carter's production is like comparing stepping in dog poop or tripping over a rock. Both kinda suck, but one's a little better than the other.

What it comes down to is who produces better in the blitz pickup and receiving game. Neither are doing much in these categories. Because of all this, I think Donald Brown could eventually become expendable, because we really don't need two guys who are producing at the same poor level, on a passing team with no run blocking. Not that Brown is that much worse, but because he's not that much better. At least we have Addai, who in open space has good moves, can pass protect like a champ, and has cool hair.

Lol stop denying the man his props and give it to him.... i bet you addai wouldnt have been able to make that cut brown did in the bengals game... brown is only getting better

Come on now.. Really Smitto? Just say you like Donald better then Joe because you are blind to the fact that Joe is better then Donald. No matter what offense or team it is Joe will still be better. What do you think Joe would do if he was in a more run oriented offense? Remember he gained 1,000 rushing yards with a mediocre O-line. Just think if he had the Jets or Texans O-line with a blocking fullback, he would put up a 1,000 every year. No matter what offense Donald in, he still wont know how to block and the linemen will have to make all the holes for him to run through or he will hesitate like he has done the past 2 years here. Other then that Jacksonville game last year, when has Donald had a game where us as the fans could say ''Donald really went out there and went beast mode today''? Like when Joe had 100 something rushing and 100 something receiving against the Pats or even the Redskins game last year. Donald has 6 career touchdowns in three years, Joe got 4 in 1 half but he's better then Joe rotfl. We talking about two 1st rounders here.. Donald's a nice guy but he's the number 3 on the depth chart for a reason.

Imma say it like i said it as soon as the colts drafted addai... Addai never deserved a 1st round pick. he's a backup. Donald brown is the better runner ive seen him in college... those seasons addai got those 1000yds the oline was very good... most ppl here are short sighted, the colts were a balanced team in 06 and 07...

The colts Oline didnt start getting bad until 08... Addai was 226att for 1061 which is a 4.8 avg, in 09 addai had 219atts for just 828yds... meaning the Line got worse then, which was when Brown got with the colts. If brown was the one in the stead of addai I can guarantee you there would be much longer runs than addai has gotten...

Brown knows how to take it to the outside, but he also knows how to run between the tackles, the main reason Addai was resigned was because peyton needs all the protection that he can get and addai can provide that.. but when it comes to running brown excels in that.

Come on now.. Really Smitto? Just say you like Donald better then Joe because you are blind to the fact that Joe is better then Donald. No matter what offense or team it is Joe will still be better. What do you think Joe would do if he was in a more run oriented offense? Remember he gained 1,000 rushing yards with a mediocre O-line. Just think if he had the Jets or Texans O-line with a blocking fullback, he would put up a 1,000 every year. No matter what offense Donald in, he still wont know how to block and the linemen will have to make all the holes for him to run through or he will hesitate like he has done the past 2 years here. Other then that Jacksonville game last year, when has Donald had a game where us as the fans could say ''Donald really went out there and went beast mode today''? Like when Joe had 100 something rushing and 100 something receiving against the Pats or even the Redskins game last year. Donald has 6 career touchdowns in three years, Joe got 4 in 1 half but he's better then Joe rotfl. We talking about two 1st rounders here.. Donald's a nice guy but he's the number 3 on the depth chart for a reason.

I Agree with both you and Smitto, first The part that i agree with you teamaddai is Addai is better then brown. Run and pass blocking running routes etc. But Donald is not cut out for a team like the colts. He would be better in a more run oriented offense. I think donald will be the next Tim Jenning, in the terms of production when he gets cut this year.

As for Addai, this team wants him here. He is a beast when health. Even Peyton was saying when he took a pay cut, he wanted to see guys like Joe Addai signed again.

Its so hard to judge both of these guys because are oline has been playing very bad though.

Edited by joo 2h

Imma say it like i said it as soon as the colts drafted addai... Addai never deserved a 1st round pick. he's a backup. Donald brown is the better runner ive seen him in college... those seasons addai got those 1000yds the oline was very good... most ppl here are short sighted, the colts were a balanced team in 06 and 07...

The colts Oline didnt start getting bad until 08... Addai was 226att for 1061 which is a 4.8 avg, in 09 addai had 219atts for just 828yds... meaning the Line got worse then, which was when Brown got with the colts. If brown was the one in the stead of addai I can guarantee you there would be much longer runs than addai has gotten...

Brown knows how to take it to the outside, but he also knows how to run between the tackles, the main reason Addai was resigned was because peyton needs all the protection that he can get and addai can provide that.. but when it comes to running brown excels in that.

We can't compare them when it comes to College because 1 played against 5 star players every week & the other was playing against 2-3 star players. No team in the Big East can go to the SEC and become a top 5 team in the SEC. You can go play in the Big East & gain 1,000 yards! Addai played in the SEC with the big boys & shared carries with other RB's & still gained a 1,000 yards. He has produced in the NFL, we still waiting for Donald to and this is year 3 for him! We both will have our own opinions about them so there's no need to even debate but I bet if start a Poll Thread on here asking who's the better back, 95% will say Joe!

We can't compare them when it comes to College because 1 played against 5 star players every week & the other was playing against 2-3 star players. No team in the Big East can go to the SEC and become a top 5 team in the SEC. You can go play in the Big East & gain 1,000 yards! Addai played in the SEC with the big boys & shared carries with other RB's & still gained a 1,000 yards. He has produced in the NFL, we still waiting for Donald to and this is year 3 for him! We both will have our own opinions about them so there's no need to even debate but I bet if start a Poll Thread on here asking who's the better back, 95% will say Joe!

Thankyou so much. Smitto's a smart guy but but to say Brown is the better runner is crazy. Brown had his chances and more the past two seasons when Addai got injured and still couldn't produce under the same o-line.

Well i guess we are gonna have to agree to disagree then, it really dont matter what colleges your playing against... to me brown is the better back.

I actually think Delone Carter has been one of the positives of the season so far! For a rookie in his first few games I've been sort of impressed by him when he's gotten carries of the football! He certainly offers something different from Addai and Brown as he's more of a power back.

Carter is fast becoming the guy. As a means of holding onto something positive, we should focus our energies on those things that will benefit us going into next year, and Carter is going to be a big part of the most violent and dramatic 1 season turn-around in history, in 2012. His running Sunday night, while not enough to allow the Colts to remain competitive, was inspired. He offers a different prototype than any RB we've had here.

Donald Brown, selected in the first has run much better of late, but yet again he missed a free-rusher on a key third down, resulting in one of many punts.

Delone appears to be the real deal.