Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Else Is Rooting For A Colt's Loss Every Week?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not true. I'm a real fan, have been for a long time, I'm not sure what hoping for a win does except provide a warm fuzzy feeling that your hoping your team can win a game and still finish last in the divison. Maybe it's just because I' m a realist that I think like this.

I'm a realist as well, but my perspective is completely different. I love Peyton, I really do, but there are 52 other men on this team that are still fighting and giving it everything they have to win a game/ numerous games left in the season. I hope each and every game that they fit that final piece in the puzzle and we become the competitive Colts again. To sit back and hope or expect to lose the rest of the season is to give up on every other man on that team, and fan or no fan, no one should do that.

If we end up with the #1 draft pick, so be it. I'll probably be glad to see a chance for an eventual replacement for Peyton to come aboard, but that's not a thought I'm entertaining at the moment. For now, I go into each game thinking, "Maybe this will be the one." I go into each game rooting for the other 99% of the team to get it together and make a stand and prove that the Colts aren't going down easily and they are not giving up without a fight. Even though we lost this weekend, I chose to go out on the excitement of seeing Dallas come to life again and make that grab. That was my highlight of the game.

Everyone is entitled to different opinions, but I have never understood why we should give up hope, or root for the team to fail just so we can get that pick. I know what can realistically happen, but I've also seen what the Colts are capable of when no one is expecting it. I'm still waiting and watching for that moment to happen this season!

I'm a realist as well, but my perspective is completely different. I love Peyton, I really do, but there are 52 other men on this team that are still fighting and giving it everything they have to win a game/ numerous games left in the season. I hope each and every game that they fit that final piece in the puzzle and we become the competitive Colts again. To sit back and hope or expect to lose the rest of the season is to give up on every other man on that team, and fan or no fan, no one should do that.

If we end up with the #1 draft pick, so be it. I'll probably be glad to see a chance for an eventual replacement for Peyton to come aboard, but that's not a thought I'm entertaining at the moment. For now, I go into each game thinking, "Maybe this will be the one." I go into each game rooting for the other 99% of the team to get it together and make a stand and prove that the Colts aren't going down easily and they are not giving up without a fight. Even though we lost this weekend, I chose to go out on the excitement of seeing Dallas come to life again and make that grab. That was my highlight of the game.

Everyone is entitled to different opinions, but I have never understood why we should give up hope, or root for the team to fail just so we can get that pick. I know what can realistically happen, but I've also seen what the Colts are capable of when no one is expecting it. I'm still waiting and watching for that moment to happen this season!

I would normally agree with the above, but the "99%" of the team has really let me down. The colts built that team around Manning and without Manning you have a couple great players, and few good players and all the rest are at or below average. They may be playing hard, but it's only to save face. Everyone in that locker room realizes they are going to be home on the couch this January.

Wow! Good insight! I understand that Brady was a big loss for the Pats, so you probably understand how it feels. Anyways, I was happy for the last 12 years, and I do understand why the OP might think of this, but I never go into a game hoping to lose. I bleed blue! I hope you see where I'm coming from, but as a fan that has been through the good and the bad, I never want to lose. I hate losing, it sucks, that's why it ticks me off a bit when someone makes a thread saying that he wants the Colts to lose. Well, I guess it seperates the fakes from the real. Now this guy confuses me, he says he's a fan, but he wants us to lose....

Andy, I hope you do not think that I was picking on you, but I just wanted to get a quote and wanted to put in my two cents before, what i kind of saw, as a thread perhaps going south . . .

from my reading of the OP, I am not sure he is actually say "lets plan to lose" but more "if we try but lost will you all be dissappointed?"

I think there may be a difference between the following three situations/philosophies

1) having a game plan to lose in the hopes of getting a high draft pick (which to a degree would alter the competativeness of the sport where a team would get a higher draft pick that it "deserves" by intentionally looses and thus move up the draft board),

2) trying to win, but loosing in the endeavor and being happy about it to the extent that the loss gives one a benefit in the future; and,

3) trying to win and loose and be anger and upset in the loss and not care about the long term consequences and let the chips fall as they may . . .

i think philosophy (1) would be out of line for a fan and expecially for a team to undertake . . .

so the issue becomes is does one fall under philosophy 2 or 3. I see you are under 3 and have a great deal of respect for your fanhood as falling under number 3 . . .

from the way i read the OP, he/she falls under philosophy 2 and simply asking are there others that have a similar philosophy . .

for me i kind of fall between 2 and 3 . . . if it is late season the last few game and the end is in site i would lean towards #2, but earlier in the season would lean towards 3 . . . by as for the OP i can see his point that if a team is not going to make the playoffs how many are under 2 above . . .

Edited by Yehoodi

<sarcasm> Yes, I am not a fan because I want my team to improve. Makes perfect sense now, thanks for enlightening me. <sarcasm>

Realistically, I should tell all you people wanting the colts to win as many games as possible they you are not real fans, you want to handicap this team for years to come when there is great opportunity to address serious issues in this years draft, but I won't because I know we are all fans here and our opinions may differ, it may be hard to wish a loss on your team, but just look at the big picture. 0-16 = New Head Coach, and #1 overall pick (which should be traded) That is the real win of this season.

Thank you(no sarcasm) I realize that I was emotional with my comments and not looking at the whole picture. Of course I want what is best for this team in years to come.

Still missing the point.

This season is a wasted season anyways. We're not going to make the playoffs, we're not going to the Super Bowl, we're not going to win much, if any. That means, these games we're watching mean nothing. The regular season is only worth the seeding you get in the playoffs. We'll miss the playoffs, so there is no value in winning any of these games.

Now, next season, whether we have Peyton back or not, we have a chance to improve based on where and who we draft/sign/fire/cut. Next year is when the regular season will matter again, hopefully. So why not hope we can maximize that opportunity?

This is not asking if we want to see the Colts lose forever and for always. This is asking if we'd like to see them get the most out of a terrible season/great opportunity. I think the obvious answer is yes, I'd love to see them drastically improve as a result of unfortunate circumstance.

Think of it like you've been dating the same girl since sophomore year, and now it's time for the senior prom and she dumps you. Trouble is you've already bought the ticket and tux. Plus side is, she was kinda annoying, and this other, hotter chick has been texting you non-stop lately. Are you going to the prom, dancing with the hot chick to stick it in your ex's face? Or are you going to cry into your ice cream and hope your ex sees the tragic love poem you posted on Facebook and gets back with you?

GO TO THE PROM.

Get whatever positive you can out of a negative.

I definitly see your point(weird analogy aside ha ha ) I just have to be more logical about this situation than emotional.

That's what I'm saying, are you insulting me or the OP?

Not trying to insult anyone just trying to come tto terms with what is best for our team. Such a difficult year for Colts fans, emotions tend to run high. We are all Colts fans and the emotions that come from these topics are proof.

yea but if we get the number 1 pick, then we have to pay like a billion dollars to the first pick. The higher the draft pick, the more you pay! i dont think we have that much cap room. We would probably have to make cuts to Peytons, Freeneys, Mathis, or Waynes contract to bring him in. Which i know they wouldnt mind but i DO NOT want anyone to get cut, i like the team the way it is....

This topic gets me mixed up inside. I don't like to see the Colts lose, but I have to say that I have been very proud of their effort this year. I've enjoyed watching them compete. I've been pleasantly suprised to see Painter develop into a decent backup QB. I have to admit that I didn't think he was worth a roster spot after the preseason he had. I was wrong. The guys that are healthy have gone out there and given it everything they've got. They've played most of their opponents to a close finish.

That said, realistically the season is not going to end with a playoff birth, so its natural for some people to look ahead to the next step: The Draft. It's the next place that a lot of fans will find that wave of optimism that they long for, but high draft picks don't always yield success. Ryan Leaf is the most obvious example, but look at any draft and you can find multiple examples of high draft picks that went bust. How many people remember the name Curtis Enis? He was a running back the Bears took with the #5 pick in the 1998 draft (just 4 picks after Manning). He had a decent season in 1999 but retired after 3 seasons due to a knee injury.

Obviously the Colts have a good track record with draft picks and some teams have found star players late in a draft. Remind me... when were Tom Brady and Gary Bracket drafted?

I would be happy to see the Colts draft a player like Andrew Luck, but I'm not going to automatically expect another 12 year run if do get him. For now, I just want to enjoy watching the guys that are on the field compete.

Andy, I hope you do not think that I was picking on you, but I just wanted to get a quote and wanted to put in my two cents before, what i kind of saw, as a thread perhaps going south . . .

from my reading of the OP, I am not sure he is actually say "lets plan to lose" but more "if we try but lost will you all be dissappointed?"

I think there may be a difference between the following three situations/philosophies

1) having a game plan to lose in the hopes of getting a high draft pick (which to a degree would alter the competativeness of the sport where a team would get a higher draft pick that it "deserves" by intentionally looses and thus move up the draft board),

2) trying to win, but loosing in the endeavor and being happy about it to the extent that the loss gives one a benefit in the future; and,

3) trying to win and loose and be anger and upset in the loss and not care about the long term consequences and let the chips fall as they may . . .

i think philosophy (1) would be out of line for a fan and expecially for a team to undertake . . .

so the issue becomes is does one fall under philosophy 2 or 3. I see you are under 3 and have a great deal of respect for your fanhood as falling under number 3 . . .

from the way i read the OP, he/she falls under philosophy 2 and simply asking are there others that have a similar philosophy . .

for me i kind of fall between 2 and 3 . . . if it is late season the last few game and the end is in site i would lean towards #2, but earlier in the season would lean towards 3 . . . by as for the OP i can see his point that if a team is not going to make the playoffs how many are under 2 above . . .

Ok....I see, but still it rubbed me the wrong way. I always root and hope for a win.

Ok....I see, but still it rubbed me the wrong way. I always root and hope for a win.

cant argue with that and I can understand your position, and I like I said before I respect one who cares about his team win or loose regardless of the consequences, and let fate, and to a degree fairness, dictate how the cards are going to fall . . .

I wouldn't say I'm rooting for a lose.. but I've just stop caring if we do win. No need to root for anything with this team playing the way they do. 0-16, 1-15, 2-14 are all the same. losing season, there is no pride in that. Any given NFL team should be capable of 4-12 no matter how much they suck, but sadly we will not achieve this. So.. no, i really don't mind if we go 0-16 to get the draft pick.

Sooo... what is the point in discussing this? Of course I always want the colts to win. Those who don't are more fair weather fans I would think because they don't care as much if we keep losing.

Why do we still get the random people chiming in on this thread without reading any of it. IF you had read some of it you would have realized that those of us rooting for losses are doing so in the team's best interest.