Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Else Is Rooting For A Colt's Loss Every Week?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1997 I was actively rooting for the Colts to lose for the sake of drafting Peyton, and I was pretty happy with how that turned out.

This statement validates much of what some are saying toward hoping we don't win. They want the Colts to lose so that the window opens back up. We've been hearing it for a few years now, the window is closing. As well it is. By the time Manning is gone, so will be Mathis, Wayne, Freeney, Clark, Addai and many others, possibly Bethea too.

To be able to literally pick any player in the draft is an incredible power to wield. I think a person could be every bit as much of a fan as anyone else and still cast this season into the crapper with wanton desire.

Whats irking me are the people that I have seen wearing Colts gear over the years, now making smart mouth remarks about my hat and jersey. "Why would you wear that".........posers.

Wow! Good insight! I understand that Brady was a big loss for the Pats, so you probably understand how it feels. Anyways, I was happy for the last 12 years, and I do understand why the OP might think of this, but I never go into a game hoping to lose. I bleed blue! I hope you see where I'm coming from, but as a fan that has been through the good and the bad, I never want to lose. I hate losing, it sucks, that's why it ticks me off a bit when someone makes a thread saying that he wants the Colts to lose. Well, I guess it seperates the fakes from the real. Now this guy confuses me, he says he's a fan, but he wants us to lose....

I know it may be a tough concept to handle but losing now may create a window in the future for more 12+ win regular seasons. Like another poster said, in 1997 he rooted for the colts to loose and got PM out of it. While I am also not completely sold on luck I am aware of his massive potential trade value ( even without Ditka in the league) and to pass it by because "True fans wanna win" and "you play to win the game" childish quotes/mentality completely misses the big picture. Imagine if the chiefs wanted Luck from us bad enough to give us proven players such as Brandon Flowers and/or Dwayne Bowe. ( I know its a long shot but its a example ).

In short I want to see the Colts win too but not if it costs us the #1 overall pick, because the #2 is going to be worthless in comparison and we would more then likely be forced to over pick there and overpay someone if we are unable to make a trade down.

I know it may be a tough concept to handle but losing now may create a window in the future for more 12+ win regular seasons. Like another poster said, in 1997 he rooted for the colts to loose and got PM out of it. While I am also not completely sold on luck I am aware of his massive potential trade value ( even without Ditka in the league) and to pass it by because "True fans wanna win" and "you play to win the game" childish quotes/mentality completely misses the big picture. Imagine if the chiefs wanted Luck from us bad enough to give us proven players such as Brandon Flowers and/or Dwayne Bowe. ( I know its a long shot but its a example ).

In short I want to see the Colts win too but not if it costs us the #1 overall pick, because the #2 is going to be worthless in comparison and we would more then likely be forced to over pick there and overpay someone if we are unable to make a trade down.

Sorry, but I don't root for my team to lose, and real fans don't either. I don't know how to root against the Colts.

Sorry, but I don't root for my team to lose, and real fans don't either. I don't know how to root against the Colts.

Being stubborn and ignorant doesn't make you more of a fan then us. There is a big picture here. You sound like those packer fans that loved Favre more then the packers themselves. Those people were the ones trashing Rodgers. Now they wear his jersey.

Being stubborn and ignorant doesn't make you more of a fan then us. There is a big picture here. You sound like those packer fans that loved Favre more then the packers themselves. Those people were the ones trashing Rodgers. Now they wear his jersey.

How am I ignorant... I think of the future, I care about our future, either way we're destined for a high draft pick, but I never go into a week hoping that we lose. We're getting a high draft pick either way. Don't think I'm ignorant for loving my team. I think about the future, hope for wins, but don't call me stubborn. I respect your opinion, but I want wins, not losses. I don't hate Luck or the future prospects, just the idea of losing tickes me off.

How am I ignorant... I think of the future, I care about our future, either way we're destined for a high draft pick, but I never go into a week hoping that we lose. We're getting a high draft pick either way. Don't think I'm ignorant for loving my team. I think about the future, hope for wins, but don't call me stubborn. I respect your opinion, but I want wins, not losses. I don't hate Luck or the future prospects, just the idea of losing tickes me off.

I see your point more clearly now. Losing sucks I agree but if we and the phins are both 1-14 going into week 16. Then I know what I'm hoping for because the #2 overall pick is going to be pretty useless in comparison. I'm just worried all this losing will be in vain if we dont get #1 overall. I guess your not as stubborn as I had thought.

With the colts falling to 0-6 and chalking up a few losses to teams under .500 Is anyone else here rooting for the colts to lose? I know I am and I'l also rooting for STL to get some wins. That #1 overall pick is juicy and there are a ton of teams that would practically trade every draft pick in 2011 for Luck.

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking the way I am. I mean nothing good can come from a 6-10 season except a mediocre draft pick, why not go all out?

I agree totally

If you're a real fan you never root for a loss. I have to be realistic with my predictions (I don't want to look like a fool), but on the inside I'm really hoping for a win. If I would want to see the Colts win as many games as they can. I love my team, and if you loved them too, you would want them to win. I know we have to think about he future, but tanking it should never be an option. Hope for a win, but think about the future, but NEVER ROOT for a loss. I -1 this.

I would say that a fan rooting for thier team to loose is NOT a fan. Play fantasy football with that mentality.

A fan rooting for thier team to loose seems to fall under the definition of oxy * to me. Stick to playing fantasy football with that mentality

Still missing the point.

This season is a wasted season anyways. We're not going to make the playoffs, we're not going to the Super Bowl, we're not going to win much, if any. That means, these games we're watching mean nothing. The regular season is only worth the seeding you get in the playoffs. We'll miss the playoffs, so there is no value in winning any of these games.

Now, next season, whether we have Peyton back or not, we have a chance to improve based on where and who we draft/sign/fire/cut. Next year is when the regular season will matter again, hopefully. So why not hope we can maximize that opportunity?

This is not asking if we want to see the Colts lose forever and for always. This is asking if we'd like to see them get the most out of a terrible season/great opportunity. I think the obvious answer is yes, I'd love to see them drastically improve as a result of unfortunate circumstance.

Think of it like you've been dating the same girl since sophomore year, and now it's time for the senior prom and she dumps you. Trouble is you've already bought the ticket and tux. Plus side is, she was kinda annoying, and this other, hotter chick has been texting you non-stop lately. Are you going to the prom, dancing with the hot chick to stick it in your ex's face? Or are you going to cry into your ice cream and hope your ex sees the tragic love poem you posted on Facebook and gets back with you?

GO TO THE PROM.

Get whatever positive you can out of a negative.

I get the point of the thread but really it just breaks me heart to see this.

Our players go out there every week and play to win.

I can't not hope anything but the best for them.

They do go out and play to win, and I appreciate that. They're fighting. I'm still proud to say I'm a Colts fan because of the fight they show.

But I don't hope the best for the players. I hope the best for the team. And the best thing for the team is to get as much out of this for the future as possible. The players who are still here next year will be all smiles again next year when we have Peyton back and some new, top-tier talent in the mix. The players who aren't here can console themselves with the paychecks they've received.

They do go out and play to win, and I appreciate that. They're fighting. I'm still proud to say I'm a Colts fan because of the fight they show.

But I don't hope the best for the players. I hope the best for the team. And the best thing for the team is to get as much out of this for the future as possible. The players who are still here next year will be all smiles again next year when we have Peyton back and some new, top-tier talent in the mix. The players who aren't here can console themselves with the paychecks they've received.

You really get it. I started probably the first thread on this topic. Winning 4 or 5 games does nothing to help this franchise for next season. You don't tank but unless the playoffs are a possibility(and they are not) it doesn't bother me as much to see an L. There has to be some silver lining in this mess of a season.

Change "rooting for" with "expecting" and you'd have me pegged.

I can't actively root against them though.

Right On.... As far as I am concerned this is a chance for a team to learn to play with out Manning... and when they get him back this team should have a completely new perception of the "game".

If Manning returns healthy.... I guarantee regardless of who is the coach next year, this season will be a blessing.

This team was naked without PM early this season. Next season it is on.

You really get it. I started probably the first thread on this topic. Winning 4 or 5 games does nothing to help this franchise for next season. You don't tank but unless the playoffs are a possibility(and they are not) it doesn't bother me as much to see an L. There has to be some silver lining in this mess of a season.

I totally disagree with this.

This team is learning for the FIRST time in 13 years to play without..... the great Peyton Manning.

You really don't think that this is a good thing in the long run,\? as long as PM is back?

The "silver lining" is this season....

I would say that a fan rooting for thier team to loose is NOT a fan. Play fantasy football with that mentality.

<sarcasm> Yes, I am not a fan because I want my team to improve. Makes perfect sense now, thanks for enlightening me. <sarcasm>

Realistically, I should tell all you people wanting the colts to win as many games as possible they you are not real fans, you want to handicap this team for years to come when there is great opportunity to address serious issues in this years draft, but I won't because I know we are all fans here and our opinions may differ, it may be hard to wish a loss on your team, but just look at the big picture. 0-16 = New Head Coach, and #1 overall pick (which should be traded) That is the real win of this season.

I think it is best if people take what happens as fate and cease to pursue a strategy for watching games this year with the end result in mind. What happens, happens, what will be, will be. We don't require Andrew Luck to have a successful future, be it for the next 3-4 years, or for the next 15 years. If we end up with the #1 overall, then take it as salve for our wound. If we end up, say, 6-10, then so be it. We get several great picks and lets make the most out of it. Y'all gonna stress yourselves out banking on anything either way at this point. We are winless at 0-6 and little good can come of that this year.

The best band-aid we could apply to our psyche is the immanent return of Manning next year.

Edited by ruksak

Yeah, but 10-6 puts us in the palyoffs, and a super bowl wing at Indy....

Yeah, but 10-6 puts us in the palyoffs, and a super bowl wing at Indy....

I think a 1 game win streak would need to be proven before I'm willing to invest myself in the hopes of a 10 game win streak. Any chance to make the playoffs hinges not only on our team finding a way to win at least 8 (possibly 7) total games, but other teams in our division totally tanking the rest of their season.

If I offered each any everyone of you the option to sit through one 0-16 season, but afterwards you got to have Peyton Manning for another 15 years (at Peyton Manning level) would you do it?

You wann buy my season tickets and go to all the home games that year?

I refuse/don't know how to root against the Colts, but I will be rooting for the Dolphins/rams/broncos/vikings/Panthers(I live in Charlotte so this is my 2nd team),Cards...etc to get some wins.

Edited by Mitch