Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell/coaching (Merge)

number28

ESPN clearly intends for this announcement to insinuate that Gruden will not be returning to coaching. Monday Night Football PR guy Bill Hoffheimer

tweeted "Cross this guy off coaching candidate list for 2012" with a link to the news.

However, as Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio speculates, ESPN has declined to release terms of the contract, which makes it tough to tell how punitive the exclusivity clause is were Gruden to leave the network for a coaching gig.

But what this contract does mean is that Gruden won't be in a hurry to move back to the coaching ranks. He has plenty of job security - and undoubtedly also a salary - that will allow him to be extremely picky about any offer to coach.

Perhaps, a job that came with a rookie franchise quarterback such as Andrew Luck could tempt Gruden. But now, he's not going to take a job just because he's desperate to get back in the NFL.

So the door for Gruden to return to the NFL may not shut completely, but it's ajar by a much slimmer margin than it was before this deal.

http://www.nationalf...-but-is-he.html

Yep. His last deal with ESPN was "exclusive", too, and just like that "exclusive" deal, ESPN aren't releasing the specifics of what makes it "exclusive" and what doesn't. Logic says the new deal is nothing more than a re-write of the old one.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. His last deal with ESPN was "exclusive", too, and just like that "exclusive" deal, ESPN aren't releasing the specifics of what makes it "exclusive" and what doesn't. Logic says the new deal is nothing more than a re-write of the old one.

Yep, Gruden could bolt any time he likes. The Colts with Manning are very attractive, the Colts without Manning are not so... even with Luck... WHO IS ONLY A JR.... HE COULD STAY IN COLLEGE ANOTHER YEAR.

hIs last contract prevented him from going to Miami because the school could not come to terms on a buyout. Exclusive means exclusive.

Edited by GoGoColts

Been saying that all along. How are we supposed to land a top tier coach when they have to deal with Polians power trip. That's another reason I think Bill should go as well. Polian will never hand over all the decisions to the head coach. C'mon Irsay. If you were embarrased time to prove it.

Irsay should not only fire the Puppet but also fire BP and his son as well..

I dunno about Chris...personally I think this last draft was one of the best we've had in a long time. I think we should send Bill onto retirement and let Chris have a hand at it for a while. His first job assignment should be finding a new HC, OC, and DC.

Tommie Harris waived Darren Evans waived Taj Smith waived Jacque McClendon waived ....... Donald Brown active roster Jerry Hughes active roster Mike Tepper active roster ummmm wondering who made these decisions?

What difference would Tommie Harris (1 tackle), Darren Evans (still on the team), and Jacques McClendon (0 games played) make right now? Donald Brown has played just fine. Mike Tepper has been irrelevant. Jerry Hughes has been about as effective as Tommie Harris.

Seriously, we just got beat 62-7, and all you can do is whine about fringe players who aren't even good enough to make an impact on other teams in the league right now? But we should have kept them.... why?

You could be complaining about Kelvin Hayden and Justin Tryon. At least that would make sense, given the position they play.

just like how the 18 game schedule was a fait accompli last year according to Polian?

No doubt a shot there by Kravitz with his word choice.

With that said up till the Saints game I thought Caldwell's job was safe. Now it sounds like he is starting to lose the lockerroom and no coach is going to withstand that.

I dunno about Chris...personally I think this last draft was one of the best we've had in a long time. I think we should send Bill onto retirement and let Chris have a hand at it for a while. His first job assignment should be finding a new HC, OC, and DC.

And be willing to draft based on a new defensive scheme and philosophy.

I mean come on now.. Caldwell is BP puppet, and Caldwell isn't making any decisions the Polians are right? So why just fire Caldwell? Caldwell didn't sign Grandpa Collins, Caldwell didn't release Tryon, he wanted him to start. Caldwell didn't draft Hughes, Brown, Gonzales, Ugoh and etc... Caldwell didn't say lets not draft a Quarterback to groom under Peyton because he's a robot and will never get injured. Caldwell didn't say lets not draft any O-Linemen with our picks, lets just sign all UDFA and have them block for our Running Backs and the greatest Quarterback ever. Caldwell didn't say lets release Hayden, Devan and Brooks and keep Lacey, Pollack and White. Caldwell didn't have a say so over none of these things, but he did call that timeout in the Jets game ;) lol. Seriously thou, all of those decisions were made by Bill Polian. Caldwell didn't even know who his starting Quarterback was going to be for Week 3 until Irsay tweeted it, so that should tell it all right there. If you fire the Coach but he's not making any decisions on nothing, don't you think you need to fire the person thats making all those decisions :duh: . Polian knew he could make Caldwell his puppet and knew Dungy wasn't having that with him. They tried to sell that bullcrap about Dungy is retiring to spend more time with his family and do other things outside of football, but as soon as he left he start working for Sunday Night Football. He left because Polian wanted to make all the decisions like he doing now and have say so over almost everything and Dungy wasn't bout to be his puppet so he left. Just like Huey Gene, Tom Moore, Ron Meeks and everyone else who has left the staff. They said Tom Moore was retiring but when they let him go he signed with the Jets. They never gave a explanation why they let Gene go. When we lost the Super Bowl to the Saints, after the game when we got back to the Team Hotel, the look on BP face was like he didn't give 2 :censored: we just lost the biggest game of the year. IRSAY if your'e gonna fire the puppet, make sure you fire the puppets MASTER.

Edited by TeamAddaiOrGoDie

I mean come on now.. Caldwell is BP puppet, and Caldwell isn't making any decisions the Polians are right? So why just fire Caldwell? Caldwell didn't sign Grandpa Collins, Caldwell didn't release Tryon, he wanted him to start. Caldwell didn't draft Hughes, Brown, Gonzales, Ugoh and etc... Caldwell didn't say lets not draft a Quarterback to groom under Peyton because he's a robot and will never get injured. Caldwell didn't say lets not draft any O-Linemen with our picks, lets just sign all UDFA and have them block for our Running Backs and the greatest Quarterback ever. Caldwell didn't say lets release Hayden, Devan and Brooks and keep Lacey, Pollack and White. Caldwell didn't have a say so over none of these things, but he did call that timeout in the Jets game ;) lol. Seriously thou, all of those decisions were made by Bill Polian. Caldwell didn't even know who his starting Quarterback was going to be for Week 3 until Irsay tweeted it, so that should tell it all right there. If you fire the Coach but he's not making any decisions on nothing, don't you think you need to fire the person thats making all those decisions :duh: . Polian knew he could make Caldwell his puppet and knew Dungy wasn't having that with him. They tried to sell that bullcrap about Dungy is retiring to spend more time with his family and do other things outside of football, but as soon as he left he start working for Sunday Night Football. He left because Polian wanted to make all the decisions like he doing now and have say so over almost everything and Dungy wasn't bout to be his puppet so he left. Just like Huey Gene, Tom Moore, Ron Meeks and everyone else who has left the staff. They said Tom Moore was retiring but when they let him go he signed with the Jets. They never gave a explanation why they let Gene go. When we lost the Super Bowl to the Saints, after the game when we got back to the Team Hotel, the look on BP face was like he didn't give 2 :censored: we just lost the biggest game of the year. IRSAY if your'e gonna fire the puppet, make sure you fire the puppets MASTER.

Soup Bean w a slab of onion............

just like how the 18 game schedule was a fait accompli last year according to Polian?

With that said up till the Saints game I thought Caldwell's job was safe. Now it sounds like he is starting to lose the lockerroom and no coach is going to withstand that.

go.. look at the resume... JC has made some catastrophic coaching decisions.

Basically Kravitz believes that Irsay was embarrassed by the performance Sunday night so there is no saving Caldwell and company.

PFT cites Kravitz.

http://profootballta...ell-is-a-goner/

Indy Star Article

http://www.indystar....|IndyStar.com|p

Shall we get one thing straight. Kravitz knows about as much about PRO FOOTBALL. As me. He is a failed "writer" from Colorado.

Need I say more. ???

darn GC.... how about some effort? PRIDE.

3. Jim Caldwell is the worst head coach to ever reach a Super Bowl.

OK, maybe there’s some competition. Bill Callahan, Ken Whisenhunt and Jim Fassel were all unlegendary as well, but
Caldwell is making Peyton Manning look like more of a coach on the field with each passing week.

Caldwell is surely a good football guy, and certainly inspires loyalty from his bosses. When Caldwell was the head coach at Wake Forest, the Demon Deacons had one winning record and a 26-63 overall mark – yet it took eight fruitless seasons for him to finally get the ax.

Can’t imagine he makes it to Year 4 in Indy,
not after Sunday night’s 62-7 loss to the Saints that felt every bit like Alabama vs. Middle Tennessee State.

According to the pro-football-reference.com search engine, the last team that was on a losing streak of 5+ games and lost a game by 50+ points was the 1972 Patriots. They lost 52-0 to Miami in Week 9 under coach John Mazur, who was fired that week.

Will Bill Polian pull the trigger on Caldwell? It’s pretty doubtful, considering the Manning factor and Polian’s pragmatic approach, but it’s also extremely unlikely that the Colts’ uninspiring boss will be back.

Edited by bayone

3. Jim Caldwell is the worst head coach to ever reach a Super Bowl.

OK, maybe there’s some competition. Bill Callahan, Ken Whisenhunt and Jim Fassel were all unlegendary as well, but Caldwell is making Peyton Manning look like more of a coach on the field with each passing week.

Caldwell is surely a good football guy, and certainly inspires loyalty from his bosses. When Caldwell was the head coach at Wake Forest, the Demon Deacons had one winning record and a 26-63 overall mark – yet it took eight fruitless seasons for him to finally get the ax.

Can’t imagine he makes it to Year 4 in Indy, not after Sunday night’s 62-7 loss to the Saints that felt every bit like Alabama vs. Middle Tennessee State.

According to the pro-football-reference.com search engine, the last team that was on a losing streak of 5+ games and lost a game by 50+ points was the 1972 Patriots. They lost 52-0 to Miami in Week 9 under coach John Mazur, who was fired that week.

Will Bill Polian pull the trigger on Caldwell? It’s pretty doubtful, considering the Manning factor and Polian’s pragmatic approach, but it’s also extremely unlikely that the Colts’ uninspiring boss will be back.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4429_10_Things_We_...

Edited by bayone

hIs last contract prevented him from going to Miami because the school could not come to terms on a buyout. Exclusive means exclusive.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/25/cowher-gruden-linked-to-dolphins-job/

Cole says that Gruden, who signed an “exclusive” five-year deal with ESPN that kicks in next year that apparently doesn’t preclude him from returning to coaching, “told more than a few folks” while in Miami for the Week One game between the Patriots and Dolphins “that he’ll be ready to go next offseason.” (Last year, Gruden’s son blurted out that the former Raiders and Bucs coach could be coming back to the game in 2012.)

ipb-whistle.png

You're harping on the word exclusive is overblown at the absolute very least. His "exclusivity" could be little more than he is exclusive to MNF and no other sports program.

He can get out at any time he wants.

http://profootballta...o-dolphins-job/

ipb-whistle.png

You're harping on the word exclusive is overblown at the absolute very least. His "exclusivity" could be little more than he is exclusive to MNF and no other sports program.

He can get out at any time he wants.

I would tend to agree. If he has any interest in returning to coaching then he'd make sure there is some sort of out clause. Of course that is assuming he does have an interest in returning to coaching and whether he does or not is not something any of us would know unless he's made a public statement on the subject.

Edited by Jason

I know that Caldwell couldnt help the injury to Peyton but being 0-6 right now just isnt good enough, we should have beat Kansas City. But he makes no adjustments and has no passion for the game. I love it when you see a coach as pumped up as the players.I know he went to the super bowl in his first year but that wasnt his team, it was dungys team. And i watched the saints game, and the colts defense played in the scheme they played perfect in the scheme but this cover 2 doesnt work. I see talent on the defense but the cover 2 is horrible and should have been gone years ago. Input your thoughts.

I know that Caldwell couldnt help the injury to Peyton but being 0-6 right now just isnt good enough, we should have beat Kansas City. But he makes no adjustments and has no passion for the game. I love it when you see a coach as pumped up as the players.I know he went to the super bowl in his first year but that wasnt his team, it was dungys team. And i watched the saints game, and the colts defense played in the scheme they played perfect in the scheme but this cover 2 doesnt work. I see talent on the defense but the cover 2 is horrible and should have been gone years ago. Input your thoughts.

0-7. I agree I think there is some talent on this defense maybe not the cb position. I just think Caldwell has lost the team. They seem like they don't want to play for him. Painter could throw 6 INT in a row and Caldwell would clap and say it's ok it's ok. The players need a leader. It's like Caldwell is afraid of the players. I think at the end of the season Jim will make a lot of changes and Caldwell being one of them. I'm on the fence about polian but I don't see him going anywhere. I hope the new DC makes changes to the scheme cause I think that would help a lot.

where 0-7

anyway, the way things look Jim Caldwell will be here for years to come, for some reasons nobody feels like hes doing a bad job, they will just blame the DC and the OC and the lockout and on peyton not playing, Its ludacris

The cover 2 needs to go. but the only way is to bring in a Good DC who is not a yes sir type of guy.

Fire CaldWell~~~~

Hey, now here is a fresh topic...

You don't like what Caldwell has done this year - that is fine. I don't know many who do. But the comment that he has no passion for the game is mindless nonsense.

Has no passion for the game? And you know this how?

yeah how do people know who has passion and who doesn't? do they expect everyone to be foaming at the mouth and yelling all game?

Yes...yes they do because that is how you show you have passion. To me it just shows someone who is loud and abrasive...

Yes...yes they do because that is how you show you have passion. To me it just shows someone who is loud and abrasive...

That is what shows passion or does that show someone who is loud and abrasive? lol I think they don't know what they want.

corrupt fans

Edited by number28