Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Says No Trade

Slick_Rick

I just don't get some of the "(panic) (panic) we gotta trade right now" comments. There are a lot of guys on our team, right now, that can develop into really great players. Remember Pierre Garcon? I never thought I'd live long enough for him to learn to actually catch a football. I did, and he turned out all right.

Ask Marty Schottenheimer how trading that too young, too short Drew Brees panned out. I guess I'd say "Chill".

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Unfortunately you've misapplied the word intranegative.

Unless you meant to say a low-contrast color image is used as a positive...and somehow that has anything to do with this conversation.

Perhaps you meant interrogative? But that doesn't really apply either.

Good way of adding to the discussion.

Unfortunately you've misapplied the word intranegative.

Unless you meant to say a low-contrast color image is used as a positive...and somehow that has anything to do with this conversation.

Perhaps you meant interrogative? But that doesn't really apply either.

Actually, I was joking.

I just don't get some of the "(panic) (panic) we gotta trade right now" comments. There are a lot of guys on our team, right now, that can develop into really great players. Remember Pierre Garcon? I never thought I'd live long enough for him to learn to actually catch a football. I did, and he turned out all right.

Ask Marty Schottenheimer how trading that too young, too short Drew Brees panned out. I guess I'd say "Chill".

Its not panic, its a recognition of the stark lack of talent depth at WR when Wayne is out. TY has speed, but hes small and can be shoved around rather easily. DHB has physical tools, but also has a chronic case of butterfingers. Brazill and Whalen are depth guys on a good day. There is no WR on this team who can just take a game over and be the reliable guy catching 3rd downs. When your QB is only 2nd year guy, that is terrifying to think about

Its not panic, its a recognition of the stark lack of talent depth at WR when Wayne is out. TY has speed, but hes small and can be shoved around rather easily. DHB has physical tools, but also has a chronic case of butterfingers. Brazill and Whalen are depth guys on a good day. There is no WR on this team who can just take a game over and be the reliable guy catching 3rd downs. When your QB is only 2nd year guy, that is terrifying to think about

I think a move would have been made if the coaching staff thought it was needed.

Brazil was pretty much TY 2.0 last year. Dudes good. Once again, how about all those NE teams that had crap for wr's that won multiple Super Bowls.

Heward Bey and Fleener will not be in Colts uniforms next year.

Why in the world would we want to cut Fleener?  

If the game of the GM is to get as much talent on the roster as you can with the cap space you are provided then Fleener is at the very least a decent talent for very little cap space use.

I wouldn't necessarily re-sign him to a new contract but his current rookie contract is in the Colt's favor still.

Besides it would still hurt us cap wise to cut him next year as he's guaranteed half his base salary for next year plus the pro-rated remainder of his signing bonus.  It would cost us a little over $100,000 in cap space to cut him.  Why would you want to do that?

His cap costs are as follows.  2013: 1.2 million, 2014: 1.45 million, 2015: 1.7 million.  You arn't going to find a better deal in free agency for a good #2 TE.

DHB, I can see his contract not being renewed.  But Fleener is still a good deal for the Colts.  

Satele is the guy we need to cut.  He's 5 million against the cap next year and we can save 4 million of that by cutting him.  Probably wouldn't cost but 6 million to upgrade to a top level player at center.  

You do realize Reggie Wayne has more drops than DHB this year right?

Just throwing that out there

I just don't see the value in Fred Davis. Once DA comes back he's disposable...

Nuts! DA is out for the SEASON.

The thought is adding Now to WIN BIG NOW!

ANY addition in a needed are, especially a veteran, might be the difference in a Big Moment in the playoffs.

YOU want a guy that is now on the practice squad or still on the street to be that guy. OK!

Its moot now, but NOT a bad idea to strengthen the team when you can, for the right price.

This is from a Jason La Confora article of CBS Sports:

There is an abundance of receivers available as Tuesday's trade deadline approaches, and no shortage of interested teams, with clubs like the 49ers, Patriots, Lions, Ravens and Colts deep in the process of trying to land another pass catcher..........

Colts GM Ryan Grigson has been working the phones feverishly looking to see if he can replace top receiver Reggie Wayne, who was lost for the season, though he has already dealt his first-round pick and has salary-cap limitations as well. A source said the Colts pulling off a deal for a receiver was “not likely,” though they are exploring options.

So it looks as though Grigson was trying, but the price was probably too high.

This is from a Jason La Confora article of CBS Sports:

There is an abundance of receivers available as Tuesday's trade deadline approaches, and no shortage of interested teams, with clubs like the 49ers, Patriots, Lions, Ravens and Colts deep in the process of trying to land another pass catcher..........

Colts GM Ryan Grigson has been working the phones feverishly looking to see if he can replace top receiver Reggie Wayne, who was lost for the season, though he has already dealt his first-round pick and has salary-cap limitations as well. A source said the Colts pulling off a deal for a receiver was “not likely,” though they are exploring options.

So it looks as though Grigson was trying, but the price was probably too high.

Makes sense. Grigs cant wheel if teams wont deal.

We'll be fine. This will be a development second half of the year for Luck and the gang on offense and I think they will do great. The run game will improve IMO, Luck will develop chemistry with the young group around him and hopefully on defense they continue to go up.

We don't play many teams we may need to get into heavy shootouts with the rest of the year anyway.

Hopefully the big part of the injury bug is out of the way too.......the first half of this season for us was a grind with some GOOD teams all over the place on our schedule.

but it is true none the less

But it's nonesense, none the less.

The drop "statistic" doesn't take into account passes in coverage that should be caught but just take a little more effort. Reggie almost always makes that catch, DHB rarely does and that doesn't show up in the stats.

I hope he can prove me wrong but he hasn't so far. I was actually excited when we signed him, thinking he would progress with us, but he's looked very similar to the DHB from Oakland to me. You can say what you will but I believe my own eyes in this case.

I just hope we grab one in the draft.  Even if Wayne returns 100%, he's still an aging star in the last year of his contract.  He will likely consider retirement after next season.

We need a young possession receiver.  

I think Wayne has at least 2 more years in him.  He is less than 100 catches away from supplanting Marvin as the 2nd all time WR in receptions -- if he comes back and is healthy, there is no reason to doubt that he can have two 50+ catch seasons.

You do realize Reggie Wayne has more drops than DHB this year right?

Just throwing that out there

Guess what Andrew Luck has more INTs this season than Matt Hasselback too. 

Reggie Wayne has been the third most targeted WR in the league till going down.  He has more drops in part because he is being targeted more.  You can't just look at one stat and make judgments based on that.  They don't always tell the whole story.

With that said I happen to like DHB and think he is going to be the guy that is going to get most of Reggie's work load.  I would agree that panicking over DHB is a little pre-mature right now and I would also agree his drops have not been the same issue as they were in Oakland although he has had a couple of big ones in the past couple of games.  So on the bigger point we probably agree. 

I guess now we'll get the chance to see if one of these so-called "no-talent" players (like Garcon or Brees) becomes a superstar during the rest of the season. One of the things about having Reggie out there, as great as he is, is that these other (very talented IMO) players don't get as many opportunities to shine. "Carpe diem" means "seize the day" not complain about the talent.

I'm looking forward to it!

Guess what Andrew Luck has more INTs this season than Matt Hasselback too.

Reggie Wayne has been the third most targeted WR in the league till going down. He has more drops in part because he is being targeted more. You can't just look at one stat and make judgments based on that. They don't always tell the whole story.

With that said I happen to like DHB and think he is going to be the guy that is going to get most of Reggie's work load. I would agree that panicking over DHB is a little pre-mature right now and I would also agree his drops have not been the same issue as they were in Oakland although he has had a couple of big ones in the past couple of games. So on the bigger point we probably agree.

I'm not looking at one stat. The person I originally quoted said that DHB has a chronic case of butterfingers. All I did was point out that Reggie Wayne has more drops than DHB.

Ever heard of sarcasm? If you ever see someone mention a trade for Calvin Johnson, they're being sarcastic . . . or they're insane.

Though it's very difficult to determine which option is correct sometimes, I do try to apply this very logic to anyone who posts anything that I don't agree with.

Call it a defense mechanism, or denial, whatever, but it supports my ego.     :)