Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen elevated

Everyone

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Expected this move and glad it took place.

Watching the Pat McAfee show last week, it is clear how much the locker room think of Whalen.

I hate the Welker comparisons, as no one gets open like Wes... he has incredible change of direction and shiftiness, that is not Whalen. If we are going to compare Whalen to a (white) receiver, he is much more like Collie, a tough, in traffic slot guy. Although Collie was borderline elite before he went down in 2010.

Watching the Pat McAfee show last week, it is clear how much the locker room think of Whalen.

I hate the Welker comparisons, as no one gets open like Wes... he has incredible change of direction and shiftiness, that is not Whalen. If we are going to compare Whalen to a (white) receiver, he is much more like Collie, a tough, in traffic slot guy. Although Collie was borderline elite before he went down in 2010.

Let's force ourselves to compare Whalen to a non-white receiver. Whatchu got???

Edit: Here's mine.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=43444

???

Explain that logic, please. One has to get open to be targeted. Denarius Thomas normally gets a ton of targets. But wasn't targeted much last week... Why?... Because he wasn't open.

I haven't read all the posts yet but I think he meant that just because Whalen gets open does not mean he'll be targeted.  Luck's INT in the Miami game is a prime example of that.

I have made some Welker comparison's, in that Whalen like Welker was an UDFA, & both guys really didn't get opportunities early in their careers... Welker went from San Diego, to Miami, & it wasn't until he hooked up with Brady that he blew up. Whalen was hurt last year & is just now really getting his opportunity, so hopefully Whalen can prove to be that tough, in traffic receiver & make the jump...

I have made some Welker comparison's, in that Whalen like Welker was an UDFA, & both guys really didn't get opportunities early in their careers... Welker went from San Diego, to Miami, & it wasn't until he hooked up with Brady that he blew up. Whalen was hurt last year & is just now really getting his opportunity, so hopefully Whalen can prove to be that tough, in traffic receiver & make the jump...

Yeah I know what you mean. I was just talking about comparisons as players.

Definitely plays big, tough and really good hands. Injuries aside I think he would be a great player. He is not unlike Reggie in many ways.

He's struggled to get involved in San Diego even this year, with Floyd hurt and Rivers getting back to business. But it took Reggie a couple years to get going, even with Manning and Marvin on the field. I think he needs to work on running fluid routes and getting off the line against press coverage, but that's one of the nuances of playing receiver in the NFL.

He's struggled to get involved in San Diego even this year, with Floyd hurt and Rivers getting back to business. But it took Reggie a couple years to get going, even with Manning and Marvin on the field. I think he needs to work on running fluid routes and getting off the line against press coverage, but that's one of the nuances of playing receiver in the NFL.

I agree about the routes, but I actually thought he was very good at beating press, at least with my own eye test. Not playing last year hurt his development, but he has elite hands... I think he could turn into a very good player.

Whether out of necessity or by design, I think this is a great move. Give your own talent a chance to shine, and keep the draft picks. What we need most is a pair of reliable hands to move the chains. That is the main thing Reggie brought more than anything else. Hopefully that is what Griff brings.

Whether out of necessity or by design, I think this is a great move. Give your own talent a chance to shine, and keep the draft picks. What we need most is a pair of reliable hands to move the chains. That is the main thing Reggie brought more than anything else. Hopefully that is what Griff brings.

As much as I'd like to see us bolster our roster, the bolded is the truth, especially for us. We're already minus our first and fourth round picks in 2014. We have guys we need to re-sign, and we'll probably have a couple of roster holes to fill in the offseason. Draft picks are precious for us. 

There's no replacing Reggie. Even with a super talented guy like Fitzgerald, there's the playbook to learn, chemistry to develop with the rest of the team, and so on. The ROI is kind of tough to project, but I think it would hurt to give up another pick for any receiver whose learning curve is basically going to last the rest of the season.

Some of these responses are quite amazing. And to think its 2013.

Okay here it goes!

He reminds me of Dwight Clark, Fred Biletnikoff, Lance Alworth, Don Hudson, Ed Mcaffrey, Brandon Stokley, Bob Chandler, Chris Collinsworth and Raymond Berry.

Just off the top of my head!

:thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

Tom Waddle

I haven't read all the posts yet but I think he meant that just because Whalen gets open does not mean he'll be targeted.  Luck's INT in the Miami game is a prime example of that.

Luck learns from his mistakes, too.  He saw Whalen was open and still chose Reggie.  He doesn't have that option anymore.  He may go to Whalen more since he seems to have surer hands.  We'll all just have to wait and see.

I don't expect Whalen to be the next Wes Welker, but I don't see why people act like comparing the 2 is blasphemy.  If you look at them on paper they have a lot of similar measurables.

- Draft Scout ranked Welker  #67 out of 156 WRs  & Whalen was #79 out of 282

- Both were undrafted and Welker did not really do anything his first 2 years in the league. Was cut by SD his first year and offered a practice squad spot but chose to play ST in Miami.

- They are similar size Welker 5'8"-5'9" 185-195 & Whalen 5'10"-5'11" 185-197 (depending on where you look)

- Similar measurables (measurements are from pro day since neither were at combine)

40 time - Welker: 4.61-4.65 ... Whalen: 4.55-4.59

20 YD Shuttle - Welker: 4.01 .... Whalen: 4.06

3 cone Drill - Welker: 7.09 ... Whalen: 6.89

Vertical Jump - Welker: 30" ... Whalen: 36.5"

Broad Jump - Welker: 9'5" ... Whalen: 9'2"

Whalen most likely is not the next Wes Welker as players like that do not come along all that frequently.  But, many on here act as if there is no basis at all for the comparison when clearly there is some basis for comparison. Even if the similarities don't result in the same outcome if there is a chance Whalen becomes even 75% of the player Welker is he will be a good addition to the team.

I don't expect Whalen to be the next Wes Welker, but I don't see why people act like comparing the 2 is blasphemy.  If you look at them on paper they have a lot of similar measurables.

- Draft Scout ranked Welker  #67 out of 156 WRs  & Whalen was #79 out of 282

- Both were undrafted and Welker did not really do anything his first 2 years in the league. Was cut by SD his first year and offered a practice squad spot but chose to play ST in Miami.

- They are similar size Welker 5'8"-5'9" 185-195 & Whalen 5'10"-5'11" 185-197 (depending on where you look)

- Similar measurables (measurements are from pro day since neither were at combine)

40 time - Welker: 4.61-4.65 ... Whalen: 4.55-4.59

20 YD Shuttle - Welker: 4.01 .... Whalen: 4.06

3 cone Drill - Welker: 7.09 ... Whalen: 6.89

Vertical Jump - Welker: 30" ... Whalen: 36.5"

Broad Jump - Welker: 9'5" ... Whalen: 9'2"

Whalen most likely is not the next Wes Welker as players like that do not come along all that frequently.  But, many on here act as if there is no basis at all for the comparison when clearly there is some basis for comparison. Even if the similarities don't result in the same outcome if there is a chance Whalen becomes even 75% of the player Welker is he will be a good addition to the team.

You can compare their situations and their measurables all you want, but they play the position very very differently. Welker is the shiftiest player in the league who always gets open. Whalen is an in traffic, tough catcher. 

Yes, the are similar on paper, but watching the film, the do not look the same. The reason people get annoyed is because its a lazy comparison, and one for the box-scorites who don't actually watch football.

You can compare their situations and their measurables all you want, but they play the position very very differently. Welker is the shiftiest player in the league who always gets open. Whalen is an in traffic, tough catcher. 

Yes, the are similar on paper, but watching the film, the do not look the same. The reason people get annoyed is because its a lazy comparison, and one for the box-scorites who don't actually watch football.

shiftiest player in the league? are you serious?

Its not a lazy comparison ... similar size and measurables, both good at making plays in traffic, and both have sticky hands & will catch most anything near them.  Welker does not play the position now like he did when he first started, he wasn't even a WR his 1st season. If you look at the first season he played WR (2005) for the Dolphins he does not look that shifty at all, he did not start looking like the Welker we see now until part way through his 3rd season, and broke out in his 4th season with Brady and the Patriots.  

Part of the reason he looks so shifty is because he is smart about the coverage and how he works his way through traffic (which came partially with experience) ... add that to great hands and playing for Brady and then Manning and you are going to look very "shifty".

Will Whalen ever get to Welker's level? ... Like I said to begin with probably not.  But not admitting there are many similarities between the two is just silly.  I don't see the comparison as being any more outrageous (or "lazy") than some comparisons NFL.com & the "draft experts" make in their pre-draft player write ups comparing potential draftees to current NFL players.