Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riddell No Longer Official Helmet of the NFL

BrentMc11

I have to wonder what discussion does go on about helmet choice at the Rookie orientation/Symposium?

Was Riddell the only helmet brand allowed to be there?  I do not know, but I am pretty sure they (Riddell) would not want others there.  

I hope this allows other companies to come in and discuss their helmet and give the players better choices....IF they are indeed better choices!!

I agree with your very last sentence 100% Brent. No blatant or hidden bias at all NFL helmet manufacturers just put all the head gear on 1 long table & have representatives from each company speak about what they believe makes their helmet the right fit for each athlete. Is there such a thing as a test drive, full contact trail run for each helmet on display? 

I also wonder as you do Brent if the NFL Rookie Symposium discusses drugs & alcohol abuse, female gold diggers, & money management skills etc. Why not discuss helmet choices, safety, & what items to look for in comfort & protection with headgear. Create a checklist if you will. 

This doesn't really change the practice of the NFL. Players have been able to pick their helmet brand for a long time. It does take money out of the league's pockets, for the sake of appearances. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn't. In a 2010 Article Goodell was quoted as "When the current contract with Riddell expires we will absolutely open up on-field advertising to all helmet manufacturers," meaning that next year everyone's branding can go on the nameplate (if Goodell's stance remains the same).

Maybe it does, but maybe it doesn't. In a 2010 Article Goodell was quoted as "When the current contract with Riddell expires we will absolutely open up on-field advertising to all helmet manufacturers," meaning that next year everyone's branding can go on the nameplate (if Goodell's stance remains the same).

On field advertising has nothing to do with the brand of helmet players wear.

In addition, SW1 always wants to know if there is an independent agency that has no contract or allegiance with the NFL or helmet manufacturer that can offer a honest evaluation of all the different helmets like a Consumer Reports organization that can provide a truthful assessment of how each helmet distributes the impact of a collision after an intense hit & what each helmet does when it is literally brought to it's breaking point. How well does each design protect the skull & the brain? 

I realize that the NFL wants to protect it's players & their is no way that the league would willing advocate for the use of a defective helmet, but that why independent evaluators are so important. They have no vested interest in lying to players. They are not being paid to put a positive spin on anything. If a specific helmet design fails miserably, an independent evaluator will tell you that. They are not being bought off to move more product volume. Safety & reliability under extreme pressure are there only concerns period. 

I recall that Jeff Saturday & Roger Goodell met with U.S. military helmet designers to discuss & share findings with 1 another awhile back, but athletes don't typically have to worry about bullets bouncing off their helmets, shrapnel debris, or grenade explosions. Not really a far comparison to what linemen face every down though. But, you still need to protect the brain I guess on a battlefield or football field I suppose.   

Where this whole helmet design evaluation process gets murky is when you have helmet manufacturers who refuse to have their helmets tested based on some lame excuse that the design is trademarked & any attempt to remove it from their company's building might compromise that manufacturer's financial profits. In other words, an independent evaluation agency cannot compel any helmet company to test their head gear if they refuse to comply with this request.

"Company Z declined to have their helmet evaluated by us" really doesn't help a player interested in Company Z's product make an informed decision based on unbiased research findings. Yes, a player could use the Company Z's helmet on his own that is true, but he won't know what its fundamental weaknesses are until it is perhaps too late to prevent serious brain trauma or injury in live drills or game action.

My point is this: Unless all helmet manufacturers were compelled to submit to an independent evaluation process by public demand or outrage, a comprehensive scrutiny protocol for all helmets & their safety results will never take place on a universal scale. It's too bad really. Sigh... 

You're gonna have to support that with a link or something. And I don't say that to be snarky, but the fact is that NFL players have been using different brands of helmets for many years, prior to Collie and Polamalo and the others. Simpson isn't the first company to start designing helmets and receiving endorsements from NFL players. Reggie Bush had a deal with Schutt for a long time. Ray Rice has a deal with Xenith. I could go on.

What was different about Simpson's deal is that people latched on to his helmets as the answer to the concussion problem. I had a problem with that myself, because there's not enough information available for any helmet manufacturer to say that their helmets are better than the standard that's already out there. Even Simpson said that while he believed in his concepts, he wasn't comfortable with the assertion that they were going to fix the issue. 

I dont have a link, it's what I was told. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not, it happened. 

On field advertising has nothing to do with the brand of helmet players wear.

Not sure what you are talking about. On field advertising = "RIDDELL" being on all of their helmets. Next year "RIDDELL" + "SCHUTT" + "ZENITH" etc will be on all helmets instead of just the 1 company (Riddell).

Not sure what you are talking about. On field advertising = "RIDDELL" being on all of their helmets. Next year "RIDDELL" + "SCHUTT" + "ZENITH" etc will be on all helmets instead of just the 1 company (Riddell).

Riddell isn't on all the helmets. It's only on the Riddell helmets.

reggie-bush.jpg

Players have long been able to wear helmets that aren't made by Riddell.

I dont have a link, it's what I was told. Doesn't matter if you believe it or not, it happened. 

Sure... But players have been wearing helmets not made by Riddell for a long time, so it's hard to reconcile what you were told with the fact that the NFL has never prohibited helmets that aren't made by Riddell.

Riddell isn't on all the helmets. It's only on the Riddell helmets.

reggie-bush.jpg

Players have long been able to wear helmets that aren't made by Riddell.

I know that.

And next year Riddell has no exclusive rights... thus one of two things will happen:

1) All manufacturers can put their name on the helmet nameplates, including riddell

2) No manufacturers are going to be on the nameplates - instead will be blank or team logos

I am just asking which people think is more likely.

I know that.

And next year Riddell has no exclusive rights... thus one of two things will happen:

1) All manufacturers can put their name on the helmet nameplates, including riddell

2) No manufacturers are going to be on the nameplates - instead will be blank or team logos

I am just asking which people think is more likely.

Got it. I don't know, I would think that the NFL would bar any manufacturer names and have the team name. But they don't make players cover up the logos on their shoes or other equipment, so I don't know.

Got it. I don't know, I would think that the NFL would bar any manufacturer names and have the team name. But they don't make players cover up the logos on their shoes or other equipment, so I don't know.

The way I understand is like all shoe manufacturers pay a license fee and can be on the players... this would be the same for the helmets if they go that route... according to @NFLPRguy they are discussing it

Sure... But players have been wearing helmets not made by Riddell for a long time, so it's hard to reconcile what you were told with the fact that the NFL has never prohibited helmets that aren't made by Riddell.

I'm not saying anyone was prohibited. I would say there was some pretty hefty persuasion. Fair?

I'm not saying anyone was prohibited. I would say there was some pretty hefty persuasion. Fair?

I think the NFL promoted Riddell as a part of their sponsorship deal, so for anyone who didn't really care about what helmet they were wearing, they probably got shuffled right into a Riddell helmet. But given how many players don't wear Riddell (and there's a ton, really), and how many players have endorsed other brands, I don't think there's pushback against wearing a different kind of helmet. 

The only time there's really been any flack over what helmets players wear was with the emergence of the Simpson helmet. And that wasn't about not wearing the Simpson helmet, it was just about declaring it as the savior of the game, particularly for players who had history of concussions. 

If there's other information out there, that's cool. I'm not trying to be dogmatic about anything. It just seems like people are under the impression that the NFL has been suppressing the players' freedom of choice because of their exclusive deal with Riddell. That's not the case.

Really hoping Riddell along with the other manufacturers are allowed to remain on the helmet. i own several auto Riddell mini helmets and they won't look quite as cool if that is no longer the headgear that our guys and other players around the NFL wear. It is stupid to make Riddell and the companies that make the equipment the scapegoat here for these injuries.

Really hoping Riddell along with the other manufacturers are allowed to remain on the helmet. i own several auto Riddell mini helmets and they won't look quite as cool if that is no longer the headgear that our guys and other players around the NFL wear. It is stupid to make Riddell and the companies that make the equipment the scapegoat here for these injuries.

According to the ESPN article, only about a third of NFL players wear competing brands. So in the NFL's eyes, it might still seem like Riddell is being promoted if they keep the manufacturers names on the helmets, since a majority of players still wear Riddell. 

I don't think the NFL is making Riddell out to be a scapegoat. There are some lawsuits against Riddell, claiming that they overstated the effectiveness of some of their products, and that kind of seems like a money grab to me, so maybe you're right. But from the NFL's perspective, I think they just don't want it to seem like they're advocating one helmet brand over the others. Even with the Simpson helmets, while they are making some serious advancements, they aren't the only company pushing the envelope with helmet technology. Riddell, Schutt, Rawlings, Xenith, etc., all have some seriously advanced products. There are even some smaller helmet brands that players wear.

Here's a good article on MMQB about this topic. Kind of mentions the lengths the league has gone to to make sure players can choose whatever helmet they want to wear. http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/22/nfl-helmets-head-injury-concussion/3/

I love the introduction to the Schutt website.  It clearly states that "No football helmet prevents concussions."  You then agree to terms.  They have also listed how to use the helmet to avoid head trauma.  :thmup:

http://www.schuttsports.com/aspx/Sport/ProductListing.aspx?sp=3&id=89

1 big problem though. Their website says that no individual purchase for a helmet can be made & that a person must visit an authorized dealer for the opportunity to make a single purchase. Their dealers are located in Tennessee, Florida, & Seattle, Washington. What do you do if you don't live near an authorized Schutt dealer? You're out of luck I guess. 

Using the store locater on their website provided me with Schutt's exact 3 locations just in case you are wondering where I got that information from. 

According to the ESPN article, only about a third of NFL players wear competing brands. So in the NFL's eyes, it might still seem like Riddell is being promoted if they keep the manufacturers names on the helmets, since a majority of players still wear Riddell. 

I don't think the NFL is making Riddell out to be a scapegoat. There are some lawsuits against Riddell, claiming that they overstated the effectiveness of some of their products, and that kind of seems like a money grab to me, so maybe you're right. But from the NFL's perspective, I think they just don't want it to seem like they're advocating one helmet brand over the others. Even with the Simpson helmets, while they are making some serious advancements, they aren't the only company pushing the envelope with helmet technology. Riddell, Schutt, Rawlings, Xenith, etc., all have some seriously advanced products. There are even some smaller helmet brands that players wear.

Here's a good article on MMQB about this topic. Kind of mentions the lengths the league has gone to to make sure players can choose whatever helmet they want to wear. http://mmqb.si.com/2013/10/22/nfl-helmets-head-injury-concussion/3/

What do you think we're more likely to see based on the two scenarios I mentioned? Good post btw. You seem knowledgable on the subject as anyone here.

Reading that link, I came across a PBS Frontline investigative TV documentary that another forum blogger mentioned awhile back "League Of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis." I ordered it from my local library in WI. Once I see it, I will offer my feedback on it in the "Seen Any Good Movies Lately?" topic. 

1 big problem though. Their website says that no individual purchase for a helmet can be made & that a person must visit an authorized dealer for the opportunity to make a single purchase. Their dealers are located in Tennessee, Florida, & Seattle, Washington. What do you do if you don't live near an authorized Schutt dealer? You're out of luck I guess. 

Using the store locater on their website provided me with Schutt's exact 3 locations just in case you are wondering where I got that information from. 

I did not see that SW....thank you.

NFL players will have them come to facilities...(.they will come)  It does not help out the kids on the youth football field.

I did see a website that offers the Schutt, Zenith and Rawlings helmets...and Riddell.... Upon further review it does not offer Riddell....interesting.

http://www.footballamerica.com/catalog/thumbnail.jsp?Ne=31&N=47+36+1102505&parentCatId=1180&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_1180|0

Good post Sup!   :thmup:

What do you think we're more likely to see based on the two scenarios I mentioned? Good post btw. You seem knowledgable on the subject as anyone here.

My initial feeling is that they'll remove any manufacturer names and just go with the team name. Just my gut. But I could see them going the opposite direction also.

When Simpson was making helmets for Austin Collie, Troy Polamalo, and a few others the NFL was giving them a whole crap ton of flack for it. I think Riddell had a hissy fit. 

There are a lot of players wearing Shutt brand they just cover the logo with their team decal.  Rodgers, RG3, Eli Manning and Cutler wear Shutt to name a few.   Riddell revolution and Speed helmets are the safest though which is how they became the official nfl helmet.