Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riddell No Longer Official Helmet of the NFL

BrentMc11

We have had many great discussions about concussions as well as new technology in the 'helmet arena.'  I have been critical of Riddell remaining the "Official helmet of the NFL"  since the debates we have had here.  I just felt it was time for an open mind to all options!!

We have mentioned some great options including SAFER Technology that is used in INDY Car and NASCAR at tracks as well as a new Simpson design..... among many others.  Riddell is what I used from Pee Wee football and beyond.

Will there be a new Official Helmet?  Should there be?  If you were an NFL rookie, what would you do in your helmet selection?  My philosophy is that I would work diligently to find what helmet works the best to protect the 'exact' shape of my head.  

All concussion related comments welcome.   :thmup:  :thmup::)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9875758/nfl-end-official-helmet-deal-riddell-2013-14-season

Ligit point Brother ,something has to be done.NFL net because of concussion issue people on there players will be going for knees and we all know how that ends.The whole thing is full of not good senarios .With tech there has to be better solutions,and with the money the NFL makes theres no excuses IMO !

Ligit point Brother ,something has to be done.NFL net because of concussion issue people on there players will be going for knees and we all know how that ends.The whole thing is full of not good senarios .With tech there has to be better solutions,and with the money the NFL makes theres no excuses IMO !

I think I had a concussion my senior year....never found out...crazy I know.  Doctors just thought I was sick.....I hit someone so hard it put me into the next week...I lost 30 pounds....and did not play after...too small :(

I think I had a concussion my senior year....never found out...crazy I know.  Doctors just thought I was sick.....I hit someone so hard it put me into the next week...I lost 30 pounds....and did not play after...too small :(

There have to be answers if anyone really cares .

Get rid of the helmet made of plastic and the steel facemasks. Give them leather and no facemasks. Cover the face with a see thru shield. They wouldn't be leading with their heads for long I guarantee you.

You would be surprised 'theanarchist!'  Maybe not.  I have played a ton of outdoor football with some crazy ****'s....and I happened o be one of them.  Elbows...heads....anything went.  

We will have helmets that resemble Iron Man at some point.  

I do not ever want to wussify the sport, but as you say some helmets need to go!!

So basically the only change here is that they are going to make it so that different helmet maker's names can appear on the helmet?

Is any helmet or style of helmet safer then another?

It looks like a continuous work n progress....does not seem to be working with the speed of the game IMO....I guess it couls be worse....

We have had many great discussions about concussions as well as new technology in the 'helmet arena.'  I have been critical of Riddell remaining the "Official helmet of the NFL"  since the debates we have had here.  I just felt it was time for an open mind to all options!!

We have mentioned some great options including SAFER Technology that is used in INDY Car and NASCAR at tracks as well as a new Simpson design..... among many others.  Riddell is what I used from Pee Wee football and beyond.

Will there be a new Official Helmet?  Should there be?  If you were an NFL rookie, what would you do in your helmet selection?  My philosophy is that I would work diligently to find what helmet works the best to protect the 'exact' shape of my head.  

All concussion related comments welcome.   :thmup:  :thmup::)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9875758/nfl-end-official-helmet-deal-riddell-2013-14-season

I'd like to see some improvement on helmets and masks. In early 19th century (in 1925 I think) 19 deaths were owed to Football in a single season, safety had been dramatically improving since then, still concussion and its long term effects on the brain are still  major concern.As far as I know, repeated knocks can also damage brain even without concussion. In case of soccer, players who were active in 1950's are suffering more frequently from Alzheimer, because the soccer ball that time was much heavier, and heading caused brain damage in long term.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I had to wear special anti-concussion helmets to play.

You would think those would be worn by every player all the time.

Have you had any health problems since then? You might want to have that checked out and see if they can do anything for you.

Hate to hear that for you. A guy I used to work with had a shoulder injury in college when he played football and it's bothered him ever since.

I had to wear special anti-concussion helmets to play.

No helmet is concussion proof. Supposedly some are better than others. I don't think there will ever be a significant improvement in concussion prevention simply by changing helmet design. It's just and inherent risk of playing the sport.

Have you had any health problems since then? You might want to have that checked out and see if they can do anything for you.

Hate to hear that for you. A guy I used to work with had a shoulder injury in college when he played football and it's bothered him ever since.

Not that I know of Bogie....some on here might thing otherwise :)

The docs at the time thought it was spinal meningitis...never confirmed.  I do not have headaches which is great...have had some depression.  

My ankles and knees can tell a story or two as well...Thanks for asking!!

Not that I know of Bogie....some on here might thing otherwise :)

The docs at the time thought it was spinal meningitis...never confirmed.  I do not have headaches which is great...have had some depression.  

My ankles and knees can tell a story or two as well...Thanks for asking!!

I think back when I was a teen at all the pick up games we had.No pads or helmets and they were knock down drag out games.Lol what were we thinking .Luckily no one got any concusions however there were a few broken bones for some.

I remember well, my first and only concussion. I was playing peewee ball, and I was a SE. My route was a 5 yard route across the middle..the QB threw it, I had to jump and extend to try to get it. Just as my hands hit the ball, I got hit, (from what I was told), in the chest one way, as another player at the same time hit my legs from behind. They said my head slammed into the ground. I woke up about 15 minutes later as they were wheeling me into the hospital, where I spent 3 days for observation for head and possible neck injuries. The coach came to visit and said he and the team sent their best wishes, and that they couldn't wait until I could come back. I told the coach in front of my Mom that I was done with football, and to have my Mom return the uniform.

I then made basketball my sport...I still love football, and I played some pick-up games after, but I will never forget that ringing in my head, and the headaches I had for 2 weeks after...Its not that I wasn't good, or tough, that scared me that it would happen again..and I didn't want to ever have to feel like that again...

Football is a rough sport, but even with the best helmets, people are still going to get hurt and hurt seriously. Its the nature of the game. I wish it weren't true, but it is, and why they get paid what they get paid to play.

So basically the only change here is that they are going to make it so that different helmet maker's names can appear on the helmet?

Is any helmet or style of helmet safer then another?

Read into the Simpsons Helmet and the SAFER tech ones from NASCAR. 

Yes there was

I had to wear an brand new or non refurbished "Air" Helmet to play due to my pre existing condition. My family had to purchase a new helmet going into my Freshman year and Junior Year( this are the helmets in my Avatar)

They are not concussion proof. no such head wear exists. The pump air helmets have been around a long time. They are far from concussion proof

I remember well, my first and only concussion. I was playing peewee ball, and I was a SE. My route was a 5 yard route across the middle..the QB threw it, I had to jump and extend to try to get it. Just as my hands hit the ball, I got hit, (from what I was told), in the chest one way, as another player at the same time hit my legs from behind. They said my head slammed into the ground. I woke up about 15 minutes later as they were wheeling me into the hospital, where I spent 3 days for observation for head and possible neck injuries. The coach came to visit and said he and the team sent their best wishes, and that they couldn't wait until I could come back. I told the coach in front of my Mom that I was done with football, and to have my Mom return the uniform.

I then made basketball my sport...I still love football, and I played some pick-up games after, but I will never forget that ringing in my head, and the headaches I had for 2 weeks after...Its not that I wasn't good, or tough, that scared me that it would happen again..and I didn't want to ever have to feel like that again...

Football is a rough sport, but even with the best helmets, people are still going to get hurt and hurt seriously. Its the nature of the game. I wish it weren't true, but it is, and why they get paid what they get paid to play.

I never understood the point of full contact peewee football. Growing up we had to play flag football until middle school.

I never understood the point of full contact peewee football. Growing up we had to play flag football until middle school.

Times have really changed since I was a kid, There were no such things as Flag Football leagues, or T-Ball in baseball. I was 12 when the hit happened..in an 11-12 yr old league. When I got to high school in gym class we played flag football. Also, we didn't have any huge kids like they have today. In 1979 was the first time I saw an extremely huge 12 year old. We were at basketball camp, and he was actually in my schools Jr high. at 12 years old he was 6'2 and 210 lbs..(bigger than I was)..He later went on to Penn State and played O-Line, but never really played much. He ended up in college around 6'7, and 290. Today its more common to see very tall or large kids for their age.

My question is say: Andrew Luck wears a Riddell... next year will his helmet still say 'Riddell' on the front, just no longer be the exclusive helmet of the NFL?

Just speculation, but if there is not an "official helmet," the brand name on the helmet 'should' be deemed irrelevant.  We will see what happens.

Would like to see Riddell remain on the helmets for traditions sake but also all other manufacturers allowed to be represented as well. I think it's silly the NFL can have an official beer, but not an official helmet. I am starting to hate Goodell, he is a crook with too much power

Wow finally Goodell doing someting GOOD for the NFL instead of just trying to make more money!! 

This doesn't really change the practice of the NFL. Players have been able to pick their helmet brand for a long time. It does take money out of the league's pockets, for the sake of appearances. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

This doesn't really change the practice of the NFL. Players have been able to pick their helmet brand for a long time. It does take money out of the league's pockets, for the sake of appearances. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

You & I had a good discussion about this topic more than once Superman. I just wish that the NFL Rookie Symposium would deal with this issue directly from a literature standpoint & a public relations standpoint now that the NFL players concussion lawsuit has now been settled. There is no impending legal matter to resolve now. 

How much freedom of choice helmet wise is actually encouraged? I suppose one could make the argument that the termination of the lone Riddell alliance as the official helmet of the NFL is a new step forward in the head gear selection process now among athletes on a universal level of individual preference. 

Just speculation, but if there is not an "official helmet," the brand name on the helmet 'should' be deemed irrelevant.  We will see what happens.

Excellent point Brent! If safety is the primary concern, individual company credit shouldn't matter 1 bit. It's like automobile companies fighting over what brand name to place on their airbags. An exercise in futility if you ask me. 

When Simpson was making helmets for Austin Collie, Troy Polamalo, and a few others the NFL was giving them a whole crap ton of flack for it. I think Riddell had a hissy fit. 

just put the padding on the outside of the helmet, 2 hard pieces of plastic will never absorb impact

There would be a ton of encroachment penalties...lined up in the neutral zone due to bumper pad....OK...bad joke, but 5 yards regardless :)   :flag:  :flag:  :flag:  :flag:  :flag: Walk it off 'Guns' Hocculi!

When Simpson was making helmets for Austin Collie, Troy Polamalo, and a few others the NFL was giving them a whole crap ton of flack for it. I think Riddell had a hissy fit. 

I have to wonder what discussion does go on about helmet choice at the Rookie orientation/Symposium?

Was Riddell the only helmet brand allowed to be there?  I do not know, but I am pretty sure they (Riddell) would not want others there.  

I hope this allows other companies to come in and discuss their helmet and give the players better choices....IF they are indeed better choices!!

You're gonna have to support that with a link or something. And I don't say that to be snarky, but the fact is that NFL players have been using different brands of helmets for many years, prior to Collie and Polamalo and the others. Simpson isn't the first company to start designing helmets and receiving endorsements from NFL players. Reggie Bush had a deal with Schutt for a long time. Ray Rice has a deal with Xenith. I could go on.

What was different about Simpson's deal is that people latched on to his helmets as the answer to the concussion problem. I had a problem with that myself, because there's not enough information available for any helmet manufacturer to say that their helmets are better than the standard that's already out there. Even Simpson said that while he believed in his concepts, he wasn't comfortable with the assertion that they were going to fix the issue.