Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what's your ideal wide reciever group now

danlhart87

Also could we please stop this love affair with Grif Whalen? Please? He is not that good, and even on the practice squad Da'rick Rogers has more talent (if a bit less maturity). We need someone else for at least depth purposes at WR. Why not trade now and get someone?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Can you please demonstrate that Gordon is a good wide receiver? I mean is he above our other guys? Does he have good hands and can he run routes in our offense like Reggie?

Go watch some film...he's a raw version of Andre Johnson.  He's fast enough to be a deep threat, and would be the only one on our roster that can go up and get a jump ball.  I would rate his route running and hands above DHB, but that's not saying alot.

Can you please demonstrate that Gordon is a good wide receiver? I mean is he above our other guys? Does he have good hands and can he run routes in our offense like Reggie?

I would say hes better than any wide reciever in the draft, and certainly is better than any WR we have on our active roster. He may not be Reggie calibur yet, but hes only 22.

Gordon's upside is tremendous.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I don't know. I am skeptical about a player with off the field problems like that. Guys like Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne are also good citizens besides being accomplished as players.

You can't replace a guy like Reggie with a thug.

Using a recreational drug hardly makes you a thug.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I would say hes better than any wide reciever in the draft, and certainly is better than any WR we have on our active roster. He may not be Reggie calibur yet, but hes only 22.

Gordon's upside is tremendous.

It's not just that Gordon has talent.  He adds a whole new dimension to the offense.  He would be a huge target for Luck,  and he has the strength and speed to be a threat anywhere on the field.  He can climb the ladder and get jump balls.  He's also got the physical tools to be a good blocker.

It's not just that Gordon has talent. He adds a whole new dimension to the offense. He would be a huge target for Luck, and he has the strength and speed to be a threat anywhere on the field. He can climb the ladder and get jump balls. He's also got the physical tools to be a good blocker.

I know, talent wise, hes the perfect fit for this offense. I have a feeling the price Cleveland asks will be too steep though.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I know, talent wise, hes the perfect fit for this offense. I have a feeling the price Cleveland asks will be too steep though.

Yep...there in lies the problem.

IMO, I don't think any WR will match Josh Gordon's talent in the 2nd round of this draft. I wouldn't mind, if we gave up a 2nd round draft pick for him. D'you reckon they are asking more than a 2nd?

He's very young an extremely talented already. I know he has maturity issues. But with Reggie Wayne and Andrew Luck mentoring him, he could become extremely good.

I think that we should just stick with what we have and use the 2nd round pick on an interior offensive lineman. Brazill, DHB, and TY is a lot of speed on the field, maybe one of them will break out in the next few weeks and establish themselves as a good option at #1

None of them will demand double coverage as Reggie Wayne did. We need that number 1, that can demand this. I haven't seen enough in DHB or Brazill, and TY won't thrive as much when Reggie don't help demand double coverage.

Ok, is "junkie" a better word?

Jeez....do they execute people for smoking weed in Romania or what? 

You have a rather archaic view of things IMO. 

Anywho.....Gordon would be great but I'm not sure the Browns want to play that game with us, unless we gave up more than just a 2nd. When they did the TRich trade, they likely hoped our pick would be 15th or less. As it is now, our draft picks have lost trade value due to our collective awesomeness. 

Trades are fun, but they always come with a price tag.

We are already limited in the draft this year. We are missing our 1st and 4th. I am not all for giving up our 2nd. I think we can find a really valuable interior offensive line in the draft, a valuable pass rush in the draft, etc.. If we make a trade, I dont see it being for anything higher than a 5th (think Doug Baldwin).

I love Gordon... absolutely love his potential and skill set, but I dont think we are set up to be sending a 2nd rounder to Cleveland for him. I question if they will take a 2nd rounder for him as well.

I think our best bet at WR would be bringing in a Vet that has good hands and is a good teacher. We are a young team at WR, so veteran leadership is key.

With what we have:

1. DHB

2. TY

3. Brazill

4. Da'Rick

5. Griff

I think adding a veteran is the route that we go honestly. Ala, Brandon Lloyd, Deion Branch, etc.. etc..

If a trade is made, I think it will be for a player along the lines of Doug Baldwin.

Correct but I think our options should be at the backend of the depth chart at this point. I don't want to give up any more draft picks on a band aid at this point.

Nicks would be a band aid. Gordon would be something to build on. Thats why most people here are so high on him. Hes 22 and on his rookie deal for a few more years and already has produced as a #1

Also could we please stop this love affair with Grif Whalen? Please? He is not that good, and even on the practice squad Da'rick Rogers has more talent (if a bit less maturity). We need someone else for at least depth purposes at WR. Why not trade now and get someone?

I like him as a fourth or fifth receiver.  In 4 receiver sets he could be the guy that finds a hole in coverage because the three other guys clear out and make a sure handed catch.  I'd worry if he got significant playing time though.  Rogers at least has the talent where he could grow into a starter.  Whalen is probably too limited physically to ever start.

We'll find out next week.  At least one of those guys will be elevated, we'll see who the coaches like.

Jeez....do they execute people for smoking weed in Romania or what? 

You have a rather archaic view of things IMO. 

Anywho.....Gordon would be great but I'm not sure the Browns want to play that game with us, unless we gave up more than just a 2nd. When they did the TRich trade, they likely hoped our pick would be 15th or less. As it is now, our draft picks have lost trade value due to our collective awesomeness. 

and you appear to be a little ignorant. Is it cool or modern to hold people doing drugs in high regard or ignore that just because they can catch a leather ball?  I don't want to stigmatize the guy but the problem is in NFL if you continue to smoke marijuana they suspend you for longer and longer periods of time. If he gets suspended again the Colts will lose him for 1 year and that's bad business.

Here's honestly how I see things going!

#1 DHB: Will make some key blocks on runs but will have plenty of drops and will finish around 400 yards recieving!

#2 Brazill Will slowly prove all his doubters wrong and get around 400 yards the last 9 games. Will make some long TDs!

#3 Hilton Will be nothing short of amazing and will finish the year just below 1000 yards and have about 60 - 65 receptions.

Here's honestly how I see things going!

#1 DHB: Will make some key blocks on runs but will have plenty of drops and will finish around 400 yards recieving!

#2 Brazill Will slowly prove all his doubters wrong and get around 400 yards the last 9 games. Will make some long TDs!

#3 Hilton Will be nothing short of amazing and will finish the year just below 1000 yards and have about 60 - 65 receptions.

Brazill could barely keep the routes straight last year. Hes going to have to do more than that to prove doubters wrong. He has the physical tools, but he can be a serious can of derp sauce at times. He is not the long term answer.

Also we would still need someone for next year, a trade now could really help out, and a 2 for Gordon is a steal.

Having a solid #1 isnt as important IMO anymore especially since the Colts have both Allen and Fleener. It hurts this year sure with Allen being injured. This will be a breakthrough for some of the young guys on the team and give them their chance to step up. I expect a lot of 2 TE sets from Fleener and Allen next year regardless of Wayne's health.

Having a solid #1 isnt as important IMO anymore especially since the Colts have both Allen and Fleener. It hurts this year sure with Allen being injured. This will be a breakthrough for some of the young guys on the team and give them their chance to step up. I expect a lot of 2 TE sets from Fleener and Allen next year regardless of Wayne's health.

Then who are the WRs next year? Who draws the double coverage in the secondary to open up the tight ends underneath?

If Reggie doesnt come back, the only 2 recievers Indy will have locked in to the roster are Hilton and Brazill. You need at least 4. Who are the other two going to be?

Hint: Griff Whalen is not one.

The bottom line is WRs no matter how good dont win you SBs. Colts would be dumb to trade away a pick that could be used on depth at LB/CB/OL/DL whatever. I dont care how good Gordon is. It's still a HUGE risk and wont make the team any better than it was with Wayne!

You keep on saying Josh Gordon is not worth it, but who is gonna draw double coverage now, how will our two tight end set look like now, what if Reggie won't come back 100% next year?

We only have two receivers set next year. This is not only for the next game a trade is important. It is also regarding the future. Imagine Reggie mentoring Gordon - he could be extremely good with the right role model.

The bottom line is WRs no matter how good dont win you SBs. Colts would be dumb to trade away a pick that could be used on depth at LB/CB/OL/DL whatever. I dont care how good Gordon is. It's still a HUGE risk and wont make the team any better than it was with Wayne!

What CB? We have one of the greatest secondaries in the league. CB was a need before FA last year. Not anymore.

The best linebackers in the league doesn't mean you automatically win every game as evidenced by our stomping of the 49ers. We also beat the Seahawks who have the best CBs. No one position guarantees a win. With Reggie gone they need someone to draw coverage. Hilton, the TEs, the RBs, almost everyone excels to a greater degree when Reggie is the primary focus of defenses. Now that Reggie is gone, they need a new receiver.

and you appear to be a little ignorant. Is it cool or modern to hold people doing drugs in high regard or ignore that just because they can catch a leather ball?  I don't want to stigmatize the guy but the problem is in NFL if you continue to smoke marijuana they suspend you for longer and longer periods of time. If he gets suspended again the Colts will lose him for 1 year and that's bad business.

No, but I don't call people a "junkie" because they smoked a joint or two. You don't want to stigmatize him, but you straight out called him a "junkie"? Are all people that drink alcohol, alcoholics? He screwed up, stop being so super serious. 

Brazill could barely keep the routes straight last year. Hes going to have to do more than that to prove doubters wrong. He has the physical tools, but he can be a serious can of derp sauce at times. He is not the long term answer.

Also we would still need someone for next year, a trade now could really help out, and a 2 for Gordon is a steal.

again. Can you point to the "derp sauce" with brazill?

I highly doubt you can prove anything you are saying about the guy