Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AP to retire early?

lollygagger8

Not that I believe anything that Ray Lewis says, and it is bleacher report, but....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820508-ray-lewis-thinks-adrian-peterson-might-pull-a-barry-sanders-and-retire-early

Me going out on that field tonight and me looking at Adrian Peterson’s eyes, it’s something that I want to bring up that I don’t want to see happen to this young kid. Because we saw it happen to a great one one time before, which was Barry Sanders. 

It's tough for a RB when the team around you sucks. You have little impact if the team isn't at least solid around you. 

That said, I don't buy into him retiring early or just giving up. 

He has quite awhile left of elite football to be played. Don't know how old he is, but I imagine he has a good 4 or 5 elite years left

Just a feeling I have, but I can see him being traded to the Patriots very soon and it makes me sick to my stomach...

The Patriots would never pay that kind of money for a Back. It's a value system and it works.

I never liked Ray as a player or a person but surprisingly he's very good in front of the camera.  

Not that I believe anything that Ray Lewis says, and it is bleacher report, but....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820508-ray-lewis-thinks-adrian-peterson-might-pull-a-barry-sanders-and-retire-early

Me going out on that field tonight and me looking at Adrian Peterson’s eyes, it’s something that I want to bring up that I don’t want to see happen to this young kid. Because we saw it happen to a great one one time before, which was Barry Sanders. 

Looks like the author has cited his sources well.  My problem is that he is the "Pop Culture" writer.  :)  Is he into fiction or non.....:)

north-dallas-50.jpg

I get that Ponder is awful and the Vikings have struggled this year, but they've hardly been awful Peterson's entire career.  They made the playoffs last year and have made the playoffs 3 times in his career and almost made the Super Bowl in 09.  What's more likely is that he starts to drop in production in a couple years and might retire then because that's what tends to happen to running backs these days.

Just a feeling I have, but I can see him being traded to the Patriots very soon and it makes me sick to my stomach...

I dont see the Patriots giving up a lot of high draft picks for a 28 year old running back.  Would I enjoy watching Adrian Peterson on the Patriots? Oh heck yes, but it would never happen because the Patriots don't build their team around a RB, they use a committee and young guys from the draft to manage the cap.  

I don't think they would even want to sign him just at the contract dollars, never mind what they would have to give up in trade for him.

Just won't happen, so keep your lunch in your stomach :P

I dont see the Patriots giving up a lot of high draft picks for a 28 year old running back.  Would I enjoy watching Adrian Peterson on the Patriots? Oh heck yes, but it would never happen because the Patriots don't build their team around a RB, they use a committee and young guys from the draft to manage the cap.  

I don't think they would even want to sign him just at the contract dollars, never mind what they would have to give up in trade for him.

Just won't happen, so keep your lunch in your stomach :P

Corey Dillon??? Just saying...

With the death of his son I though he was coming out and playing with fire, instead I saw he was indifferent and had no interest in the game anymore, I sympathize him as he spent such a spectacular career with a franchise keeping making bonehead decisions.

Coming into last nights game he had more yards this year then this time last year... not by much, but odds are he can't keep putting up the same numbers. Minnesota Vikings are in bad shape. I don't see him retiring early after some of the stuff Mr. Peterson has said about breaking some of the all time records. A change of scenery is probably in the works.

The Vikings have not even tried to really build a team around AP in his entire career. When Favre came into town, he turned that offense into a juggernaut for just one season, then it was all over. As great as those receivers looked in 2009, they have been nothing but sloppy ever since.

Barry Sanders same thing, but he didn't have the luck of landing one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time in the twilight of their career to turn his team into a top tier one for just one season.

I'm sure the recent death he had to suffer has a lot more to do with it. Football don't go on forever, and I'm sure he's thinking about that right now.

Good point. And he was 30 when the Pats got him for a #2. I think the difference is back then they had no marquee guy. Right now they have Ridley who is a top RB and then Boldin, Vareen and Blount who they stole from the Bucs. If they trade for anyone it would be a WR first and a Dlineman or LB second.

Good point. And he was 30 when the Pats got him for a #2. I think the difference is back then they had no marquee guy. Right now they have Ridley who is a top RB and then Boldin, Vareen and Blount who they stole from the Bucs. If they trade for anyone it would be a WR first and a Dlineman or LB second.

You just know the Pats are one of the teams in negotiations with Cleveland over Gordon...

If AP were to somehow get out of purple hell and find a landing spot, Id think Baltimore would be in play if they have the cap space. If not, Miami might be a decent landing spot as well.

You just know the Pats are one of the teams in negotiations with Cleveland over Gordon...

If AP were to somehow get out of purple heck and find a landing spot, Id think Baltimore would be in play if they have the cap space. If not, Miami might be a decent landing spot as well.

The fact they pretty much forfeited the game last night for Josh tells me they are in full rebuilding mode and AP has to know this and know his window is closing..

I would not blame him one bit.  The pounding that RBs take game in and game out is crazy.  It is even worse for him because he has carried that team from basically day one.  The Vikings are not going anywhere any time soon so his talents are just going to be wasted.  

I would either just walk away from the game or try and force my way out of there because he is never going to win anything there.

I would not blame him one bit.  The pounding that RBs take game in and game out is crazy.  It is even worse for him because he has carried that team from basically day one.  The Vikings are not going anywhere any time soon so his talents are just going to be wasted.  

I would either just walk away from the game or try and force my way out of there because he is never going to win anything there.

It's coming soon, especially after that debacle last night..Don't blame him a bit..

The fact they pretty much forfeited the game last night for Josh tells me they are in full rebuilding mode and AP has to know this and know his window is closing..

Doesnt matter if the Vikings wont deal him or release him. If he actually feels he cant win on the Vikings and wants to move to another team (which is pure conjecture, hes made no such notion), then the trick is getting out of there without damaging his value too much.

They didn't really have to give up anything for Corey Dillon though, so the compensation wasn't even close to what someone like Adrian Peterson would command.  Dillon's contract wasn't that monster either, it a decent contract but it wasn't like a top tier RB contract that strapped them for cash.

They didn't really have to give up anything for Corey Dillon though, so the compensation wasn't even close to what someone like Adrian Peterson would command.  Dillon's contract wasn't that monster either, it a decent contract but it wasn't like a top tier RB contract that strapped them for cash.

They gave up a #2 for Dillon. For the Pats to give a pick that high would be equal to another team giving up two #1s. lol. I don't see it anyways. RB is the one position the Pats are set at and have the most depth.

It's tough for a RB when the team around you sucks. You have little impact if the team isn't at least solid around you.

That said, I don't buy into him retiring early or just giving up.

He has quite awhile left of elite football to be played. Don't know how old he is, but I imagine he has a good 4 or 5 elite years left

Im sure that Peterson would go to the Patriots in a heart beat but be realistic. Vikings would rather send him to a team where they are guaranteed a high pick. Not a late first round pick

If I had a nickel for every time someone on here predicted the Patriots picking up player X, I would be retired. OMG, the Patriots picked up Jeff Demps! They will turn him into a star"

Jeff Demps had amazing potential but it turns out that Track N Field was more important to him than football.  Not sure why teams allow him to collect like $300,000 a year while he trains for track half the year then returns to football and not contribute.  How do I get that job?