Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Fisher As A Possible Coach Next Year? (Merge)

Restored

Now that sounds like a good idea right there, Jim as the new head coach and fisher as the Defensive coach.. the colts really need to start being a balanced offense.

Well you never know, look at mike martz

First, you say "the Colts need to be a more balanced offense", Then you suggest Mike Martz??? You do realize that Martz's offense's have been criticized for yrs. because he is so pass happy don't you. He's about 80% pass and 20% run. Martz is about the last guy you want here to be a balanced offense.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you say "the Colts need to be a more balanced offense", Then you suggest Mike Martz??? You do realize that Martz's offense's have been criticized for yrs. because he is so pass happy don't you. He's about 80% pass and 20% run. Martz is about the last guy you want here to be a balanced offense.

Mate what in the world are you talking about lol.... you said jeff fisher would never come to the colts as a defensive coach and then i replied to that mentioning mike martz with the bears as an offensive coach... i never said i wanted mike martz as a Head coach... matter of a fact your first quote about me has jim as the head coach.... so i think you misunderstood big time.

Mate what in the world are you talking about lol.... you said jeff fisher would never come to the colts as a defensive coach and then i replied to that mentioning mike martz with the bears as an offensive coach... i never said i wanted mike martz as a Head coach... matter of a fact your first quote about me has jim as the head coach.... so i think you misunderstood big time.

What??? I think you really need to look at who is actually making the posts. (upper left hand corner). I never said anything about Fisher at all, and I was simply replying to your quote's as was plainly pointed out in my last reponse. Your exact words were " the colts really need to start being a balanced offense."

Thats your words, so no, I did not misunderstand you bigtime.

What??? I think you really need to look at who is actually making the posts. (upper left hand corner). I never said anything about Fisher at all, and I was simply replying to your quote's as was plainly pointed out in my last reponse. Your exact words were " the colts really need to start being a balanced offense."

Thats your words, so no, I did not misunderstand you bigtime.

You are correct in that it was Coltsrule91 who said that Fisher wouldn't come here as a head coach but you did still miss the point about Smitto's comparison to Martz. Smitto never said he wanted Martz to come here...he gave the example of Martz as a HC who was fired and is now a Coordinator with another team. Other examples could be Jim Fassell being fired as the NYG HC and then being OC for Baltimore or Dom Capers being fired as the Texans HC and now being a very successfull DC for Green Bay. Some coaches are simply better suited as Coordinators instead of being Head coach, but I'm not sure Fisher would be considered one of them...or more importantly I don't think he would consider himself as one of them so that's why I have my doubts that Fisher would come here to be a DC. But, as Smitto was trying to point out, it's not totally impossible.

You are correct in that it was Coltsrule91 who said that Fisher wouldn't come here as a head coach but you did still miss the point about Smitto's comparison to Martz. Smitto never said he wanted Martz to come here...he gave the example of Martz as a HC who was fired and is now a Coordinator with another team. Other examples could be Jim Fassell being fired as the NYG HC and then being OC for Baltimore or Dom Capers being fired as the Texans HC and now being a very successfull DC for Green Bay. Some coaches are simply better suited as Coordinators instead of being Head coach, but I'm not sure Fisher would be considered one of them...or more importantly I don't think he would consider himself as one of them so that's why I have my doubts that Fisher would come here to be a DC. But, as Smitto was trying to point out, it's not totally impossible.

I see, My apologies to Smitto then. I thought he was suggesting Martz as a head coach or even O-coordinator.

-Not that it is says a whole lot but he was spotted wearing a Peyton Manning jersey at a press conference which to me shows he has a certain level of respect for Peyton and this team.

I like Fisher, but you phrase this as if he is a fan of Peyton's and somebody caught him wearing a jersey. You realize, I hope, that that was a giant self-deprecating joke?

I do appreciate the fact that he has respect for Peyton, and even more I appreciate the fact that he can poke fun at himself. Those are two of the reasons that I like him. We could do worse. However I don't think that Caldwell will be fired, nor do I think that he deserves to be fired.

With that said, Mora was fired after one bad year

To be specific, Mora was fired because he refused to fire Vic Fangio. I respect him for his loyalty, but the fact is that he might STILL be the Colts coach if he had co-operated with the front office. And it's entirely possible that the same thing may happen this year, if the Colts decide to get rid of Coyer and Caldwell defends him. That is pretty much the only scenario I can think of where Caldwell might lose his job.

To be specific, Mora was fired because he refused to fire Vic Fangio. I respect him for his loyalty, but the fact is that he might STILL be the Colts coach if he had co-operated with the front office. And it's entirely possible that the same thing may happen this year, if the Colts decide to get rid of Coyer and Caldwell defends him. That is pretty much the only scenario I can think of where Caldwell might lose his job.

I felt the same way after the first 2 weeks, but with every second half collapse where we lose the lead and then the game I think Caldwell being fired on merit alone becomes more of a possible reality. Don't get me wrong, I understand that players have to execute and and we're losing players to inury and all that, but ultimately it's also going to come down to the head coach being responsible for not allowing the team to completely collapse in the second half when they're more than competitive in the first half. Just my 2 cents and change. :D

If its Calwell's time to go. My wish for coach is "Captain Comeback". What's not to love about a winner at every level he's been. Jim Harbaugh as a player was such a gamer, he led his teams as a true leader . As a coach he has gotten the best out of his teams. Honestly he is the only coach for this Colts team. You all can talk about all the other coaches, but Harbaugh is the answer.

jeff fisher has won just as much as caldwell did in one year, fisher hasnt one anything in 18 years as titans coach, 1 superbowl apearence lol 10 years ago, caldwell is not as bad as yall think, player rather a coach like caldwell that hailey or fisher, hailey sreams at grown men they dont like it, fisher is a cheater who one nth if we gonna get another coach lets get some one who has won before not a loser like fisher or gruden

Edited by jbaron04

I felt the same way after the first 2 weeks, but with every second half collapse where we lose the lead and then the game I think Caldwell being fired on merit alone becomes more of a possible reality. Don't get me wrong, I understand that players have to execute and and we're losing players to inury and all that, but ultimately it's also going to come down to the head coach being responsible for not allowing the team to completely collapse in the second half when they're more than competitive in the first half. Just my 2 cents and change. :D

I understand, but I don't see how they look all that different from in previous years when we were just gashed so repeatedly by the run that the defense looked weak and helpless. Going back many many years - including the SB year. The difference was that Peyton could put up 30 on anyone, so we often won anyway. And the defensive backs on many of those teams were far superior to what we have now. It was usually blamed on people not sticking to their gaps if memory serves, and Dungy wasn't any quicker at fixing it than Caldwell has been. Then you add the injuries (and the unprecedented drops) on top of it.

Personally I think that the offense is going to continue to improve (oline injuries willing). The defense should be good enough to handle many teams on our schedule - and maybe the younger players start to pick it up in a few games.

when we finally develop a good linebacker and then he wants paid, he would not let them go to tenn or jax

umm dont you understand its a salary cap in the nfl if u have a linebacker that want to be paid top dollar and cant afford it ju cant afford it we are not a 3-4 team were linebackers are number to to a nt we are tampa 2 were it starts we the de then the safteys then corners the linebackers i dont like it but it is what it is

That is very true, and the only reason I didn't mention it is because I felt that was a given. The sad thing is that with Manning we are likely 4-1 or 5-0 at this point and that is with the horrible coaching staff. This team has had issues for years, but they have been ignored often because of Manning being able to overcome them more times than not.

Dude are you mad? the first year Mike marts became a coach for the rams they went to the superbowl and won, then he became a head coach of the rams and they went 10-6 then after that they went on to another season 14-2 becoming the greatest show on earth... so yea id say as a coach he had more than one good year... more of an impact on his team than jeff fisher i can gurantee you that.... It doesnt matter how long jeff was a titans head coach during his career there were alot of rumors that the titans wanted to let him go during his tenure although they turned out to be false.. none the less mike martz was more of an impact on his team than jeff fisher was.

martz was the OC when the rams won the super bowl. when he was HC he went to the super bowl in 01 which is the one good year i mentioned when he was HC.

Edited by coltsrule91

martz was the OC when the rams won the super bowl. when he was HC he went to the super bowl in 01 which is the one good year i mentioned when he was HC.

I know he was the OC when they won... dick vermiel's own words were "he's never seen an Assistant coach have that much of an impact on a team" hence it leads me to believe mike martz is one of the main reasons they went and won the superbowl.... Mike martz had more than one good year with the rams because they went to the playoffs more than once with him. although his record isnt great he still has a very positive winning record.

If its Calwell's time to go. My wish for coach is "Captain Comeback". What's not to love about a winner at every level he's been. Jim Harbaugh as a player was such a gamer, he led his teams as a true leader . As a coach he has gotten the best out of his teams. Honestly he is the only coach for this Colts team. You all can talk about all the other coaches, but Harbaugh is the answer.

Well.... we are several months late for that idea. Harbaugh is super-glued to the 49ers for the next several years.

I agree with you about his attributes tho, and he's off to a nice start in SF.

Jim Caldwell is not getting fired after 1 bad year missing his franchise QB. The Colts don't change coaches unless they have 2 or 3 straight bad seasons. This would be Caldwell's first, and like i said he's missing the QB. Jeff Fisher is a good guy, but he should have done more with that franchise in the later years of his coaching stint. Good guy, okay coach... like Andy Reid, don't want him.

This is absolutely not true. The name Jim Mora comes to mind, 99 playoffs 2000 playoffs 2001 6-10 goodbye Jim Mora

Except for rhat annoying little fact that he is currently employed by another NFL team.

Unfortunately Caldwell isn't going anywhere next year because he will get a pass due to Manning's injury. However, I'd be down with Fisher hypothetically speaking.

dont understand why he should get a pass. the guy wouldnt be anything if it wasnt for peyton and this season proofs it.

I don't what to insult Jeff Fisher or anything like that, but how come a lot of people think that he would be a great head coach for us? He coached the Titans for the longest time, and almost won 1 superbowl. What is it about him that a lot of colts fans want? Is he really that good of a head coach?

I'm interested to see what are some peoples thoughts on Jeff Fisher as a possiblity. He has made it known that he still wishes to coach and I believe Indy would be a great fit.

-He has knowledge of our division and knows what it takes to beat each team which could only help us.

-Not that it is says a whole lot but he was spotted wearing a Peyton Manning jersey at a press conference which to me shows he has a certain level of respect for Peyton and this team.

-He is a actual head coach that makes choices on personnel and takes risks. I remember when we played them a few years back he attempted all those onside kicks because he knew the Titans clearly weren't the better team yet he took risks that gave his team atleast a shot, something Caldwell would never do.

-He's firey, something different than we've seen in years past. Maybe that defense needs a match lit under their ___ to actually go out and do something.

Thoughts?

Give me Jim Tressel...IMO I say we start over with a whole new staff. I never understood why we hire a new def. coordinator to do the same thing the last one did??? I know the Polians love them some big ten action, so why not Tressel? I get sick and tired of no fire under this coaching staff! I had enough of that under a good coach Dungy, but its time for a change. Please someone light a fire under this teams *!! I understand we dont have one of the best Qbs in the league starting right now, but im looking for our future. I just wonder what our team confidence would be like if we had someone like a Rex Ryan or a Jim Harbaugh. I know it would have to be better than the same stoned face conversation they see in the locker room every week. I know I would react different or better to someone on my * or firing my * up than the same monotone voice "come on guys i know you can do it" every week!! GIVE US HOOSIERS A LIL SOMETHING US BLUE COLLAR FOLKS WORK SO HARD FOR TO SEE ON SUNDAYS!!

Give me Jim Tressel...IMO I say we start over with a whole new staff. I never understood why we hire a new def. coordinator to do the same thing the last one did??? I know the Polians love them some big ten action, so why not Tressel? I get sick and tired of no fire under this coaching staff! I had enough of that under a good coach Dungy, but its time for a change. Please someone light a fire under this teams *!! I understand we dont have one of the best Qbs in the league starting right now, but im looking for our future. I just wonder what our team confidence would be like if we had someone like a Rex Ryan or a Jim Harbaugh. I know it would have to be better than the same stoned face conversation they see in the locker room every week. I know I would react different or better to someone on my * or firing my * up than the same monotone voice "come on guys i know you can do it" every week!! GIVE US HOOSIERS A LIL SOMETHING US BLUE COLLAR FOLKS WORK SO HARD FOR TO SEE ON SUNDAYS!!

Fire is over-rated though. For whatever faults he had I'd take the quiet Dungy over the firery Mora anyday. Remember Jim Mora was a pretty firery guy at time...with the playoffs rant and all. But yet the Colts could not win a game in the playoffs under his tenure. The quiet Dungy guided us to a Lombardi. If you recall the Mora era, our defensive coordinator Fangio was running a zone blitz scheme that had everyone scratching their heads wondering just how stupid our team was defensively. People were saying it was obsolete, we didn't have the personnel to run it right, we need to change schemes, etc. Same stuff we are all saying now with the seemingly passive Caldwell and our implementation of the Tampa 2. My point is temperament is over-rated and losing pulls out the same types of concerns from fans whether or not the coach is yelling his head off or blinking blankly on the sidelines.

I don't what to insult Jeff Fisher or anything like that, but how come a lot of people think that he would be a great head coach for us? He coached the Titans for the longest time, and almost won 1 superbowl. What is it about him that a lot of colts fans want? Is he really that good of a head coach?

Well for starters, Fisher is a legitimate NFL head coach. He has established a name for himself in this league during his time with the Titans and often fielded tough squads with undermanned personnel. He is also not afraid to think outside of the box when necessary. I remember the season when Manning broke Marino's record and the Colts were an offensive juggernaught. We faced an overmatched Titans team. Although we routed them eventually, the game was much tougher than the score indicated. Fisher shocked us by utilizing consecutive on-side kicks to put us in a unexpected hole and had us reeling trying to get our feet under us. Fisher knew with our offense that the Titans had no chance nevertheless he had his boys ready to go and threw us a nasty curve ball that put his team in a position at least initially for the upset. This is just one example, but it is what I always think of when I think of Fisher. He isn't afraid to try something new. Furthermore, his teams have always been pretty respectable defensively which is our primary problem right now.

I think he would be a good candidate and definitely an improvement over Caldwell. However, I am not expecting it to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Just curious, for all those that think Jim won't or can't be fired? What do you see in him that makes you think he has proven he is a NFL head coach?

Im not gonna say Jim Caldwell sucks but with the loss of the franchise QB no coach can survive that cause every little thing he does will be scrutinized... and fans dont need to see him without peyton to realize that he's not the best coach.... some of us fans are not contempt with caldwell, i know im not because he doesnt seem like the type of person that a team would wanna win for... but at the same time he has a winning record.

Unfortunately Caldwell isn't going anywhere next year because he will get a pass due to Manning's injury. However, I'd be down with Fisher hypothetically speaking.

....... why are we giving people passes and coddling our front office... its the NFL which stands for not for long... we have been walking backwards for a couple years already.. if jim doesn't get the boot after this pathetic year i will picket in front of lucis oil.... i have disliked him since day one... then he lost us a superbowl with god awful play calling... what does he bring to the table???? motivation? good play calling? good scheme?? anything?? no he just stands there with a blank look on his face alllllll game...... how do you play for a guy like that?... he is pointless and with manning being out it is just glaringly obvious...

Hire anyone else... cuz they sure arnt going to be worse... Come on colts i would love to stay good after the manning era... we only have a handful of years left... lets get at least one more super bowl... we don't have time to give out any passes.. its the NFL

If memory serves me correctly. Jeff Fishers titan's were not blowing the doors off of any team in the AFC south. Yes the titans "D" was ok but the offense was vanilla. Someone said he is firery. I have never seen it, he always looked confused on the sidelines. Fisher had to rely on trick plays because his team didn't have the talent to play heads up. Fisher is not going to happen and shouldn't happen. Caldwell is having a bad season"YES". I feel the fans of the Colts want a coach that has a loud mouth, and gets himself in the news saying dumb things(REX RYAN). I don't care want coach the team gets as long as he put a winning team on the field, that is the bottom line. All of theses naysayers saying we need a coach with fire that will get in a players face. All of that non sense has every won a game. So fans lets stop the dumb talk PLEASE. GO COLTS.

Im not gonna say Jim Caldwell sucks but with the loss of the franchise QB no coach can survive that cause every little thing he does will be scrutinized... and fans dont need to see him without peyton to realize that he's not the best coach.... some of us fans are not contempt with caldwell, i know im not because he doesnt seem like the type of person that a team would wanna win for... but at the same time he has a winning record.

He has a winning record, but I think it is already clear, Manning has a winning record and Caldwell is riding the coat tails.

If memory serves me correctly. Jeff Fishers titan's were not blowing the doors off of any team in the AFC south. Yes the titans "D" was ok but the offense was vanilla. Someone said he is firery. I have never seen it, he always looked confused on the sidelines. Fisher had to rely on trick plays because his team didn't have the talent to play heads up. Fisher is not going to happen and shouldn't happen. Caldwell is having a bad season"YES". I feel the fans of the Colts want a coach that has a loud mouth, and gets himself in the news saying dumb things(REX RYAN). I don't care want coach the team gets as long as he put a winning team on the field, that is the bottom line. All of theses naysayers saying we need a coach with fire that will get in a players face. All of that non sense has every won a game. So fans lets stop the dumb talk PLEASE. GO COLTS.

Those non blowing the doors off the AFC South teams gave the Colts a tough time more times than not. If he had a top notch quarterback, then those teams would have been even more dangerous. Steve Mcnair, RIP, certainly wasn't on Manning's level even if the media mistakenly gave him a share of a MVP award. Look what he did with Collins and Gump at quarterback. He would be a huge upgrade over Caldwell, and so would Rex Ryan for that matter. To me it's not about the fire as much as it is the coaching, and I have yet to see Caldwell on the bench(not sideline), but on the bench with a marker & board coaching the offense up during a game. You see it weekly with Belichick, Ryan, Fisher and others. They coach. Caldwell seems to be more of a CEO, that just sits back and watches as opposed to being a key player involved in the process. It doesn't matter to me if the coach is low key and passive, or high key and a in your face type as long as he's coaching.

Some guy named Bill seemed to survive the loss of his franchise QB. Of course the Colts revolve around Manning far more than the Patriots did around Brady. That paired with an elite coach and a better schemes will allow a team not to fully implode when they lose their starting quarterback. Pittsburgh last year during Roethlisberer's suspension is another example of a team/coach being able to overcome the loss of a franchise quarterback. He has a winning record due to the car he's driving, not because he's a good driver. He's only asked not to wreck it but he has two years in a row, and unfortunately the car didn't start this year.

No, no no no. I would definitely not want Jeff as our coach. He was bad in TN, they never did anything in the post-season, were never really ending seasons on a good note. If we grab a new coach, I want an outside hire. Outside our organization, outside the Titan's, haha!

Jim Caldwell is not getting fired after 1 bad year missing his franchise QB. The Colts don't change coaches unless they have 2 or 3 straight bad seasons. This would be Caldwell's first, and like i said he's missing the QB. Jeff Fisher is a good guy, but he should have done more with that franchise in the later years of his coaching stint. Good guy, okay coach... like Andy Reid, don't want him.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.Mort doesn't throw false rumors around too often.If they don't beat Cincy and go on to be 0-9 or something then I think it is 100 percent certain he is done.So the bottom line is,he better win today or he can start packing.

Edited by mahagga73