Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Fisher As A Possible Coach Next Year? (Merge)

Restored

I'm interested to see what are some peoples thoughts on Jeff Fisher as a possiblity. He has made it known that he still wishes to coach and I believe Indy would be a great fit.

-He has knowledge of our division and knows what it takes to beat each team which could only help us.

-Not that it is says a whole lot but he was spotted wearing a Peyton Manning jersey at a press conference which to me shows he has a certain level of respect for Peyton and this team.

-He is a actual head coach that makes choices on personnel and takes risks. I remember when we played them a few years back he attempted all those onside kicks because he knew the Titans clearly weren't the better team yet he took risks that gave his team atleast a shot, something Caldwell would never do.

-He's firey, something different than we've seen in years past. Maybe that defense needs a match lit under their ___ to actually go out and do something.

Thoughts?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Caldwell is not getting fired after 1 bad year missing his franchise QB. The Colts don't change coaches unless they have 2 or 3 straight bad seasons. This would be Caldwell's first, and like i said he's missing the QB. Jeff Fisher is a good guy, but he should have done more with that franchise in the later years of his coaching stint. Good guy, okay coach... like Andy Reid, don't want him.

Jim Caldwell is not getting fired after 1 bad year missing his franchise QB. The Colts don't change coaches unless they have 2 or 3 straight bad seasons. This would be Caldwell's first, and like i said he's missing the QB. Jeff Fisher is a good guy, but he should have done more with that franchise in the later years of his coaching stint. Good guy, okay coach... like Andy Reid, don't want him.

One bad year? If we end up at 0-9 which is entirely possible based on the schedule and how poorly this team has played, there isn't a coach in this league that would keep his job unless he coached the Lions, especially in this market. Last year Manning covered up again for all the injuries and this year when he hasn't been around, its been exposed how bad this team is without him. Caldwell is also under questioning for if he actually decides who plays. I realize our franchise is heavily dependent on the QB but geez we should be able to put together a couple of wins against teams we clearly are more talented than. How can you say that? As of 2008 he lead them to the top record in the AFC with Kerry Collins at QB.

It will all be up to what Irsay wants. If he sees a decline in season ticket holder renewals or endorsements, and if it hurts the bottomline, whether we are 2-14 or 1-15 or 0-16, Irsay will initiate the move, IMO. It is after all a business :).

But if they do replace Caldwell and his coaches, I hope they retain the coaches on the offensive side. I also do hope it is not Fisher exclusively, they should explore other coaches like Ravens' DC Chuck Pagano, Jon Gruden etc. and go through due process like the Steelers did with Tomlin to find the right fit for the organization.

I'm interested to see what are some peoples thoughts on Jeff Fisher as a possiblity. He has made it known that he still wishes to coach and I believe Indy would be a great fit.

-He has knowledge of our division and knows what it takes to beat each team which could only help us.

-Not that it is says a whole lot but he was spotted wearing a Peyton Manning jersey at a press conference which to me shows he has a certain level of respect for Peyton and this team.

-He is a actual head coach that makes choices on personnel and takes risks. I remember when we played them a few years back he attempted all those onside kicks because he knew the Titans clearly weren't the better team yet he took risks that gave his team atleast a shot, something Caldwell would never do.

-He's firey, something different than we've seen in years past. Maybe that defense needs a match lit under their ___ to actually go out and do something.

Thoughts?

That WAS a pretty funny stunt he pulled.

fisher.jpg

I wouldn't mind Fisher... he did after all put a solid defense on the field for most of those years.

Thoughts?

Hey, here is a fresh thread with a really new idea of Jeff Fisher as a potential coach.

I know people have a dislike of Caldwell, but the entire premise that "Titans clearly weren't the better team yet he took risks that gave his team atleast a shot, something Caldwell would never do" is a comically uninformed idea.

It will all be up to what Irsay wants. If he sees a decline in season ticket holder renewals or endorsements, and if it hurts the bottomline, whether we are 2-14 or 1-15 or 0-16, Irsay will initiate the move, IMO. It is after all a business :).

But if they do replace Caldwell and his coaches, I hope they retain the coaches on the offensive side. I also do hope it is not Fisher exclusively, they should explore other coaches like Ravens' DC Chuck Pagano, Jon Gruden etc. and go through due process like the Steelers did with Tomlin to find the right fit for the organization.

Very well said. It's a long and thorough process. I'd rather get a relative unknown, if said coach were the right fit, instead of taking the first quasi-celebrity "once-known" sitting on his couch. I'm not in it for the name. I want a guy who fits, who won't disrupt Manning's remaining years too drastically, but can also add some fresh perspective and decision making.

Hey, here is a fresh thread with a really new idea of Jeff Fisher as a potential coach.

I know people have a dislike of Caldwell, but the entire premise that "Titans clearly weren't the better team yet he took risks that gave his team atleast a shot, something Caldwell would never do" is a comically uninformed idea.

Your sarcasm is unapperciated. You missed my point that Caldwell doesn't take risks like Fisher does and doesn't fit as a head coach. ie. Jets timeout, calls in the SB loss.

I think Caldwell is the type of person to offer his resignation if the Colts go 0-16 or 1-15. Irsay may decide to accept it if Fisher is still available. Shows how much Peyton made up for bad coaching in the past. This team was built to score and let the defense play well enough to win. Peyton missing doomed us to a horrible season.

Jeff Fisher is a much better coach than Caldwell, let's be real about it. He's taken teams far into the playoffs with marginal talent at skill positions. He also had to battle his owner over certain players and no coach should have that wall between ownership and player personnel decisions.

One bad year? If we end up at 0-9 which is entirely possible based on the schedule and how poorly this team has played, there isn't a coach in this league that would keep his job unless he coached the Lions, especially in this market. Last year Manning covered up again for all the injuries and this year when he hasn't been around, its been exposed how bad this team is without him. Caldwell is also under questioning for if he actually decides who plays. I realize our franchise is heavily dependent on the QB but geez we should be able to put together a couple of wins against teams we clearly are more talented than. How can you say that? As of 2008 he lead them to the top record in the AFC with Kerry Collins at QB.

I agree. Any other team would fire him. But Irsay/Polian won't. He gets a pass this year. If we continue to struggle next year, then maybe we get a new coach. Maybe.

tressell has never coached in the nfl. atleast fisher is a proven winner.

He doesnt need to coach in the NFL to be a head coach, just like Jim for the 49ers. I think thats exactly one of the reasons he's here is to be the understudy and eventually take over.

He doesnt need to coach in the NFL to be a head coach, just like Jim for the 49ers. I think thats exactly one of the reasons he's here is to be the understudy and eventually take over.

tressel specializes in offense which is something we dont need. we need a coach that will change our defensive philosophy

I doubt that it happens, because Polian and Irsay are not big on admitting mistakes.

With that said, Mora was fired after one bad year and if given the choice of Mora or Caldwell I'd take Mora all day long.

Fisher would be a huge upgrade over Caldwell, but to be quite honest, it wouldn't take a lot to be an upgrade over Caldwell. There have been plenty of names thrown out in various threads, and there have only been a couple that wouldn't be an upgrade to Caldwell.

In my opinion the only way we get a new coach is by Caldwell being man enough to admit that he's in over his head and resign.

Edited by FIreJimmy

tressel specializes in offense which is something we dont need. we need a coach that will change our defensive philosophy

What the colts need is a good coach no matter if he specialize in offense or defense... isnt caldwell an offensive head coach? i recall him being peytons QB's coach... anyway jim could bring in his own staff to fix the defense. When peyton gets back the offense wont be so balanced either, i think the colts need a coach that would enforce that no matter who the QB is.

I think Caldwell is the type of person to offer his resignation if the Colts go 0-16 or 1-15.

If Caldwell were to be fired, he would still be offering his resignation, just like Ron Meeks resigned. Owners or GMs that like to make a statement like the Dolphins owner or A.J.Smith, are the kinds to make it known that a coach was fired. Our organization has always been kind enough to let the coaches tend in their resignation should there be a situation a key coach is going to be let go, I have always appreciated that. It may not make a practical difference but it does let the coach leave with some dignity, IMO.

Edited by chad72

Who knows, you make a good case. Maybe he'll get fired, and I'd be happy. BTW, that year in 08 with the Titans, Collins went to the Pro Bowl, so he wasn't bad.

What the colts need is a good coach no matter if he specialize in offense or defense... isnt caldwell an offensive head coach? i recall him being peytons QB's coach... anyway jim could bring in his own staff to fix the defense. When peyton gets back the offense wont be so balanced either, i think the colts need a coach that would enforce that no matter who the QB is.

Which is exactly why we don't need Caldwell around. I'd say put Jim Tressel at OC to help give Peyton some new ideas on how to do things since it looks like Christensen is just merely doing what Peyton tells him to do. Bring Fisher in to help with this defense and be the enforcer that this team needs.

Which is exactly why we don't need Caldwell around. I'd say put Jim Tressel at OC to help give Peyton some new ideas on how to do things since it looks like Christensen is just merely doing what Peyton tells him to do. Bring Fisher in to help with this defense and be the enforcer that this team needs.

Now that sounds like a good idea right there, Jim as the new head coach and fisher as the Defensive coach.. the colts really need to start being a balanced offense.

Why do people tout this as evidence of being a good coach? We won that game 51-24.

I wouldn't mind Fisher... he did after all put a solid defense on the field for most of those years.

No, he didn't.

I'm not trying to be rude, but people keep saying things like this, and it's simply not true. Jeff Fisher has a reputation as a defensive minded coach, but the Titans were sometimes a flat-out bad defensive team. Other times they were mediocre. Two or three years, they were really good. I think it's a case of perception becoming reality, where people keep saying something until it's just accepted as true. The facts don't support the idea that Fisher's defenses were solid most of the years he was in Tennessee.

I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's probably better than Caldwell (who I'm starting to dislike more and more every week). But he's not a very good coach, judging by the way his teams played over the last several years. He has no accomplishments to speak of, certainly not in the recent past. They went 8 years without winning a playoff game. I think, if we are seriously considering replacing our coach and want a significant upgrade, we can do a heck of a lot better than Jeff Fisher.

I'm not buying into the "Caldwell gets a pass because of Peyton's injury" theory. Three weeks in a row, the team has come out and played great, holding the lead at halftime only to come out in the second half and stink up the field. This has nothing to do with Peyton. Yes, Peyton would have had better success in the second half because he can make things happen better than anyone in the league, but what I mean is that Peyton has nothing to do with the team playing so well in the first half but then stinking in the second.

If Collins had remained the starter and the Colts continued to play like they did in the first couple of games with Collins, then yes I could see Caldwell getting a pass. But the team has played much differently with Painter but they're playing much more erratically. IMO, if we continue giving up halftime leads and only playing a half of football then I think Caldwell will be fired or he will be forced to tender his resignation.

If he does go, my opinion has always been Brian Billick > Jeff Fisher > Jon Gruden....I'm not sure where to rank Cowher in there primarily because I have no idea if he would force the 3-4 defense on the Colts and that could set us back even further.

Well you never know, look at mike martz

mike martz has had like one good year with his offense and wasnt that successful as a HC, fisher was once the longest tenured HC with a number of good teams over the years and good defenses

Your sarcasm is unapperciated. You missed my point that Caldwell doesn't take risks like Fisher does and doesn't fit as a head coach. ie. Jets timeout, calls in the SB loss.

Your thread with a new coach as its premise it not appreciated by me so we are even.

Secondly, I totally got your point - it is not too hard to follow. And it is simply nonsense spewed by those who look for anything to dislike Caldwell.

I'm not buying into the "Caldwell gets a pass because of Peyton's injury" theory. Three weeks in a row, the team has come out and played great, holding the lead at halftime only to come out in the second half and stink up the field. This has nothing to do with Peyton. Yes, Peyton would have had better success in the second half because he can make things happen better than anyone in the league, but what I mean is that Peyton has nothing to do with the team playing so well in the first half but then stinking in the second.

If Collins had remained the starter and the Colts continued to play like they did in the first couple of games with Collins, then yes I could see Caldwell getting a pass. But the team has played much differently with Painter but they're playing much more erratically. IMO, if we continue giving up halftime leads and only playing a half of football then I think Caldwell will be fired or he will be forced to tender his resignation.

If he does go, my opinion has always been Brian Billick > Jeff Fisher > Jon Gruden....I'm not sure where to rank Cowher in there primarily because I have no idea if he would force the 3-4 defense on the Colts and that could set us back even further.

Good post. Caldwell would be getting a pass if we weren't self-destructing the way we have been. Coaching has clearly been an issue at least the past two weeks. This team shouldn't be 0-5, even without Manning.

I like your list. I'd also put Billick at the top, and the only reason he's ahead of Cowher is because Cowher wants the 3-4 wherever he goes, and I wouldn't want to undergo that transition at this point in Manning's career. In 2008? Fine, but not in 2012. After those two, I'd go Gruden, and then Fisher. And that's if we're only talking about former head coaches. There are several assistants and even a couple college coaches that are worth a look also. But I don't think we could do better than Billick. And we could do a whole lot worse than Fisher.

mike martz has had like one good year with his offense and wasnt that successful as a HC, fisher was once the longest tenured HC with a number of good teams over the years and good defenses

I still think Jeff Fisher is overrated, but there's a big difference between him and Martz. Martz was a head coach for less than half the time Fisher was, and despite the one Super Bowl appearance, the Rams didn't do much under him. It would be a bigger leap for Fisher to go back to being a DC than it was for Martz to go back to being an OC. Plus, Fisher is going to get interest from several pro teams and even a few college teams as a head coach. Martz was damaged goods after the Rams fired him.

Dude are you mad? the first year Mike marts became a coach for the rams they went to the superbowl and won, then he became a head coach of the rams and they went 10-6 then after that they went on to another season 14-2 becoming the greatest show on earth... so yea id say as a coach he had more than one good year... more of an impact on his team than jeff fisher i can gurantee you that.... It doesnt matter how long jeff was a titans head coach during his career there were alot of rumors that the titans wanted to let him go during his tenure although they turned out to be false.. none the less mike martz was more of an impact on his team than jeff fisher was.