Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dial up the blitzes

oldunclemark

Denver has one offense (left) tackle who has played 3 NFL games..at the position

They have anther offensive tackle (right) who played the position in a game for the first time last week..

That means the Broncos may run more than usual...because its easier for inexperienced o-line players to run block..

But that means the Colts will line up special blitzes 'off the edge' to overwhelm the inexperienced players.

..so this isn't this shootout many predict, right?

This is the thing that we've seen opposing fans say about Manning for a decade.  Blitzing Manning leaves somebody uncovered, and odds are he knows who it will be before the snap.  We need to disguise coverage as best we can and be flawless in coverage execution and efficient on offense.  We need to convert third downs and get into the endzone and not settle for field goals.

You cant disquise coverages well enough..you cant fool him...you have to hurry him

Dallas rushed 4 and dropped 7....and gave up 51

You have to make Peyton rush or you have no chance....

We don't have Ed Reed or Revis...

We cant drop 7 or 8 guys and cover them. Remember..Chuck Pagnao is a Raven.......what did they do?

It HAS to be up the middle. Just the outsides won't work. Freeman and Angerer are going to have to get in his face and not allow him to step up. I actually look for the Broncos to run the ball a little more than usual, at least early on.

the middle is always better than outside but remember Denver is starting VERY inexperienced tackles

..its not about us...its about them

I think you may get Peyton once or even twice but he will figure it out and burn you after that. Regardless of how many games the O-Line has played they are protecting Peyton Manning, they are not going to take that lightly and be beat more than once. Peyton will put a tight end on the side having trouble to help block. I think there is not a specific scheme or plan to beat him, all the guys on defense have to do their job and work together. He releases the ball so quickly it is so hard to blitz him, during a game a few weeks back they were calculating his release times and some of the throws were being made in 1.7 -2.3 seconds. VERY tough for most people to even think about anything in that little amount of time. While most teams try and force plays he wll take what he is given and beat you that way. I think his new OC is fantastic and Peyton looks even better than any prior year.

So beat their tackles one on one. No need to blitz the edge.

Can we do that, Supe?...and beat the blocking back who is right there?

I just don't think we can drop into coverage and contain the big-4 (Thomas and Thomas, Welker and Decker)

Jax blitzed them last week after Franklin (the RT) got hurt

You cant disquise coverages well enough..you cant fool him...you have to hurry him

We cant drop 7 or 8 guys and cover them. Remember..Chuck Pagnao is a Raven.......what did they do?

If I remember correctly and I may be wrong but didn't Peyton own the Ravens with Pagano as DC? Manusky gave him some fits when he was DC for San Diego but I'd bet that along with Peyton watching film on the Colts D this week he also had reviewed the old Colts vs Chargers tapes when Manusky was DC. Getting pressure up the middle is key BUT he will just audible and know who is uncovered. I think the O-Line will be hard to get through regardless, people were so worried about Chris Clark and he's gotten beat once. The line will be solid so I think the corners and safeties will be key. Be physical and don't let the receivers run perfect routes.

I don't remember Peyton owning the ravens...do you?

Indy won most times but they were close games

Coach Chuck isn't going to sit back and let the Sherrif take his time

I agree...Clark has been better than expected but I think you guys know....

2 weeks ago Dallas sat back and rushed 4...and Peyton did what he wanted...

That dog wont hunt

I just don't think we can drop into coverage and contain the big-4 (Thomas and Thomas, Welker and Decker)

I hope we can. That's a better strategy than sacrificing coverage.

The Jags defense didn't do anything special. Manning made a bad throw on the pick, and they botched two snaps. Other than that, the Jags were toast. Moreno got three touchdowns in situations where Manning might have thrown against a different defense. Could have had 4 or 5 touchdowns himself.

You mentioned the Cowboys. They played terrible coverage all game. We obviously need to be better than that on the back end, but the answer is NOT to edge blitz. Manning has proven that over the last 15 years.

Look....since nobodys stopped him yet, we're both dealing in an alternate universe

The Cowboys played some of the old cover-2...that's true...

but don't get caught up In 'what he's done 15 years' That's too much respect, you know what I mean?

None of Denver's receivers are speedy road runners and they don't run long patterns..

I think you 'll change what you said here after Sunday....

You edge blitz into his face and he has to hurry..and they have two newby tackles...

Jax most certainly did blitz....'special' or not once Franklin left..and they hurried Peyton..

Besides..we don't have 4 corners...who can cover their 4 guys for any length of time unless the ball comes out quick

If Denver wants to run Moreno 30 times...let them go ahead...

How soon they forget.  Peyton eats up blitzes.

The best defense against Peyton is the same one we used to see, and what we saw last Monday.  Long sustained drives, keeping him on the sidelines.

New England, Pittsburgh, and San Diego had success blitzing Peyton out of the 3-4, the key is too have good DB's and Safetys, and ILB's...Freeman playing is big for us as far as defending Julius Thomas...

New England, Pittsburgh, and San Diego had success blitzing Peyton out of the 3-4, the key is too have good DB's and Safetys, and ILB's...Freeman playing is big for us as far as defending Julius Thomas...

Denver hasn't played any of those teams this year. Hard to use examples with different Olines and receivers than he has now.

But I agree, if you're going to blitz, our DBs better be on their game. We all know how he'll expose the weakest link. Toler, I'm talking to you!

Blitzing may help but he usually releases the ball in 2-3 seconds,

So we need to bump Welker, Thomas, Trinton and the like to disrupt Manning's timing and hopefully a few turnovers. 

They are very vunerable if we just play tight on the line and keep a linebacker in the middle throwing lanes

Disipline, Disipline, Displine!

when was the last time Peyton lost to the ravens? Blitzing has never been succesfull vs him.

how do you hurry him? he gets rid of ball in less than 2.5 seconds, not being a smarty either, just curious. I read his PR is 139 something when he gets rid of the ball in less than 2.5. Has anyone been successful this season? I have not seen every Broncos game. 

Look....since nobodys stopped him yet, we're both dealing in an alternate universe

The Cowboys played some of the old cover-2...that's true...

but don't get caught up In 'what he's done 15 years' That's too much respect, you know what I mean?

None of Denver's receivers are speedy road runners and they don't run long patterns..

I think you 'll change what you said here after Sunday....

You edge blitz into his face and he has to hurry..and they have two newby tackles...

Jax most certainly did blitz....'special' or not once Franklin left..and they hurried Peyton..

Besides..we don't have 4 corners...who can cover their 4 guys for any length of time unless the ball comes out quick

If Denver wants to run Moreno 30 times...let them go ahead...

Jacksonville did whatever they did. My point is that they didn't stop Manning. They were mince meat just like everyone else. They just didn't give up as many points because the Broncos turned the ball over three times (all unforced), and Manning didn't throw for as many touchdowns because they decided to run the ball close to the end zone. Doesn't mean Jacksonville's defense had any more success than anyone else.

I think you're missing the point on Denver's receivers. They DO run deep patterns, but it doesn't matter. Manning hits the open man. He wants to get rid of the ball quickly, which nullifies blitzers, particularly from the edge. Even if you don't blitz, he wants to get rid of the ball quickly. But the better your coverage is, the better he has to be with the ball. Not exactly a winning strategy either, but at least it puts the pressure on them to perform, rather than giving them an easy way to complete passes.

Blitzing them plays right into what Manning wants to do -- and has shown he's good at for his entire career. It's not about giving him too much respect, it's about not shooting yourself in the foot. Paying attention to the Broncos passing attack, led by Peyton Manning, tells us that sacrificing coverage doesn't help your passing defense. I don't mind an occasional pressure up the middle, but I think we should keep seven in coverage as much as possible and make them complete passes into tight coverage.

Evidently you have never watched a single Game that Manning has played in, Blitzing him opens someone up, and He knows who it will be before you do.... He has an amazing clock in his head and he knows how much time he has even if you rush him... He does drills on it, so that won't do any good. He watches more film and studies harder then any other player in NFL History... Only way to Beat him is to Not blow your assignments, If you are gonna rush get to him and strip... if not then most likely it's 6, Keep a hand on your receiver... If the receiver gets behind you and has open field in front of him.. take him down, take the 5 yard holding penalty rather then giving up the TD

Jacksonville blitzed, and hit Peyton a few times early in that game. He was a little banged up... and it showed before Jacksonville started playing as only the know how. That is when things completly unraveled. If the Colts can keep it up, and our receivers manage to catch passes this is a very winnable football game.

The only time I have seen rattled is if you jam the wr's and try to redirect them or throw off the timing. He's all about precision and timing. Play physical and get after him. Knock him around and speed up his clock.

Agreed. Get real physical with the receivers until that 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Agreed. Get real physical with the receivers until that 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

Well that is not gonna happen, we were giving 10 yards (longer on 3rd and really long) to SD receivers every play, and we got burned by the underneath route about 10 times that night.

Wishful thinking at best.

your not going to beat him with blitzes, you can however beat him with our quicker D Linemen, Moala, Francois, Redding Getting penetration up the middle is key to disrupting Peyton, Now if Mathis and Walden and especially Redding(he completely ran himself out of the play at 11:22 of the 1st quarter opening up a huge hole thinking it was a pass because Dunlap dropped back like he was dropping back like it was a pass play),

Well that is not gonna happen, we were giving 10 yards (longer on 3rd and really long) to SD receivers every play, and we got burned by the underneath route about 10 times that night.

Wishful thinking at best.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. Either way he'll probably burn us, but I'd rather we at least attempted to dictate the action to him, rather than allow his receivers to go down the field unmolested and getting torched.

Look people, you are talking about how to confuse or break the concentration of Manning. Verrrrry hard to do. My want is for the team to concentrate where the genius doesn't run so deep. Go after the receivers. Do what the Pats did when they had the secondary to intimidate. We need to shake some frames over the middle until they hear footsteps.

Forget trying to stop PM. Trouble the guys he is sending on routes.

Look people, you are talking about how to confuse or break the concentration of Manning. Verrrrry hard to do. My want is for them team to concentrate where the genius doesn't run so deep. Go after the receivers. Do what the Pats did when they had the secondary to intimidate. We need to shake some frames over the middle until they hear footsteps.

Forget trying to stop PM. Trouble the guys he is sending on routes.

This..........Take the wheels off a Ferrari and you can out run it with a Pinto. We need to show a little :strong:

Blitz Peyton and our defenders will be seeing a lot of the back of Welkers jersey as they chase him down the field.

Wes does not have that kind of speed....

Teams THINK they cant get to Peyton and they don't blitz...counting on coverage.

You cant cover well enough to stop him..especially indoors....or in good weather..

Let the crowd get lound...and hurry him..take chances.

Be bold or be just another victim

how do you hurry him? he gets rid of ball in less than 2.5 seconds, not being a smarty either, just curious. I read his PR is 139 something when he gets rid of the ball in less than 2.5. Has anyone been successful this season? I have not seen every Broncos game. 

he has not played a team with a winning record, hard to tell how good they are,even jax played them tough!