Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts re-sign RFA safety Melvin Bullitt

coltsuser21

Melvin Bullitt

Bullitt is a standout in a long line of successful undrafted free agent signings by the Colts. Since joining the team in 07, Bullitt has proved his worth through a long succession of injuries to Bob Sanders that repeatedly thrust him into the starting lineup.

Bullitt will command a much better salary, but it will be worth it to the Colts to re-sign him to have peace of mind that the back end of our defense is in good hands. The tried and true Bethea/Bullitt combination is a good one.

remember we went to the superbowl with Antoine Bethea and Melvin Bullitt at starting safteys in 2010

why waste more money on a saftey we got him and i think he will be our starting free saftey

Bullitt's been quoted in interviews saying he wants a long term deal but doesn't think he'll get one from Indianapolis. I know people are split on how good Melvin is but are we going to let him go and try to pick up someone else? Weddle and the Eagles' Mikell are gone which leaves only a few safeties I'd consider signing over Melvin: Roman Harper, Donte Whitner and Dawan Landry. Anyone else would be around Melvin's ability but won't know the Colts defense. I don't Melvin's going to draw that high of a price so I don't see why we don't keep him unless we're planning to upgrade.

Bullitt's been quoted in interviews saying he wants a long term deal but doesn't think he'll get one from Indianapolis. I know people are split on how good Melvin is but are we going to let him go and try to pick up someone else? Weddle and the Eagles' Mikell are gone which leaves only a few safeties I'd consider signing over Melvin: Roman Harper, Donte Whitner and Dawan Landry. Anyone else would be around Melvin's ability but won't know the Colts defense. I don't Melvin's going to draw that high of a price so I don't see why we don't keep him unless we're planning to upgrade.

well the link above you i went to it and it says that melvin bullit signed with the colts to a multi-year deal so we are going to most likley keep him

The front office will be crazy not to resign Bullitt, solid player. He was on track to have a great year last year until his injury. The Double "B's" have been solid for the secondary. RESIGN Bullitt. But we have to wait on the Peyton signing to see which player will be signed or cut. It is a waiting game now. GO Colts :trophy:

The front office will be crazy not to resign Bullitt, solid player. He was on track to have a great year last year until his injury. The Double "B's" have been solid for the secondary. RESIGN Bullitt. But we have to wait on the Peyton signing to see which player will be signed or cut. It is a waiting game now. GO Colts :trophy:

Read the posts ahead of you. He's already come to terms with the colts.

Melvin Bullitt will remain a central figure with the Indianapolis Colts defense.

The veteran safety has agreed to re-sign with the team, according to a source close to Bullitt. Details of the multi-year contract, which cannot be signed until Friday, were not immediately available.

Bullitt, who originally joined the Colts in 2007 as an undrafted rookie, has started 24 regular-season games and appeared in 48. He missed the final 12 games of 2010 with a shoulder injury.

Bullitt is expected to start alongside Antoine Bethea in the secondary.

In four seasons, Bullitt has 178 tackles and six interceptions.

My link

Melvin is not a good tackler and doesnt have the best hands... this is not a good signing..... You know what you get when you replace a good object who wasnt there with just an object?... an object. Melvin is mediocre with how porous the run defense is all hands need to be on deck and Melvin is not a sure tackler.

Melvin is not a good tackler and doesnt have the best hands... this is not a good signing..... You know what you get when you replace a good object who wasnt there with just an object?... an object. Melvin is mediocre with how porous the run defense is all hands need to be on deck and Melvin is not a sure tackler.

Dude your high. 1 we have had a very good defense WITH Bullet starting the majority of the time as we waited for Bob for what 4 seasons? Bullet has got OK hands, but he is a good tackler, pretty good defender, & NOT AFRAID OF CONTACT. I am a former D-1 safety & watch safety play with a keen eye. Melvin is not a super star, but he is solid. He deserved the money, & I am very happy to have him. I am worried about depth though at safety.

whats wrong with you didnt we go to the superbowl in 2010 with bullitt and bethea at starting saftey

I'm not completely sold on Melvin. From what I have seen, he is above average at FS and SS, but not completely solid at either one. He isn't a good enough run stopper for SS and isn't as strong in coverage as Bethea for the FS position. Hopefully, he proves me wrong.

I'm not completely sold on Melvin. From what I have seen, he is above average at FS and SS, but not completely solid at either one. He isn't a good enough run stopper for SS and isn't as strong in coverage as Bethea for the FS position. Hopefully, he proves me wrong.

Well, he may be average but compared to a lot of players on this D he looks pretty darn good.

I agree. I'd rather have him than the cast of misfits we had last season, but I think he's been overrated around these parts due to his contract status. I feel the same way about Addai, who I want us to keep. I just don't want us to overpay for him.

whats wrong with you didnt we go to the superbowl in 2010 with bullitt and bethea at starting saftey

Whats wrong with you, was it not vinateri's leg that scored the only points in that pivotal ravens game? and for your info it was sanders who was starting NOT bullit.

Dude your high. 1 we have had a very good defense WITH Bullet starting the majority of the time as we waited for Bob for what 4 seasons? Bullet has got OK hands, but he is a good tackler, pretty good defender, & NOT AFRAID OF CONTACT. I am a former D-1 safety & watch safety play with a keen eye. Melvin is not a super star, but he is solid. He deserved the money, & I am very happy to have him. I am worried about depth though at safety.

Bullit may not be afraid of contact but that doesnt mean he is a good tackler, with the way the colts defense is they need a good saftey who can tackle and he cant wrap not man colts players can do that and cant no one can deny that. He does have avg pass coverage skills but all in all he's much better than Francisco.

I too am very relieved at this signing. While Bullitt may not be best in space when defending against the pass, he is a solid run stopper who is not afraid of contact. He also has a lot more experience now than when he first had to play in Bob's shadow so he is ready. While I still think think position needs to be addressed through the draft or through free agency, I am a lot happier with Bullitt back there than Francisco. If we can get better corner play with Tryon, Powers, Rucker, and Thomas then this will only make Bullitt's play better.

Whats wrong with you, was it not vinateri's leg that scored the only points in that pivotal ravens game? and for your info it was sanders who was starting NOT bullit.

You're thinking of the 06 season when we won the Super Bowl. In the 09 season we again beat the Ravens on our way to the Super Bowl, but that game was a beat down. I watched both, and I'm not sure which one was better. The one in 09 definitely made me feel better.