Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay responds via twitter (merge)

GoColts8818

Mods if you think this should be merged please feel free I just thought it will end up posted as it's own topic anyways.

Anyway Irsay had the following to say on twitter:

Those expressing negativity about the concept of building well rounded teams around great QBs 2 achieve Championships have negative agendas.

The noise doesn't bother me, to quote the most loved Ind Colt of all time "I wanted to stay, Jim wanted me to stay, circumstances forced r hand"

So Colt Fans, we're gonna have a fantastic tribute for Peyton, an incredible, historic football game!! Hopefully a memorable, close ball game!

4 old time sake, a few Peyton completions to old teammates..only this time defensive old teammates like #41 :) :) :) Let's bring good energy!

So for all those that are taking what Irsay said in his interview as a shot at Manning there you go straight from the head horse's mouth.  He sure doesn't sound like someone who has bad feelings towards Manning to me.  In fact he sounds like just the opposite. 

"So Colt Fans, we're gonna have a fantastic tribute for Peyton, an incredible, historic football game!! Hopefully a memorable, close ball game!" 

I don't really follow twitter. I seldom see the value in it. I have had issues with some of Mr. Irsay's statements in the past, but I must commend Jim on that sentiment. No problem with that at all. Enough said. 

People just don't think sometimes. Why would irsay diss Peyton and he's throwing a celebration for him this week?

As I've said before, irsay's comments were a knock on polian, not Peyton.

That's what I took out of the comments also. The media will take anything they can and make an issue out of it. If there is not a legitimate issue they will twist words to make it a story.

He can try to back-pedal all he wants, he just energized the Broncos players, coaches, staff, fans, ... like they really needed it and I know what some say, "If it takes that to get them motivated, what are they doing out there to start with", blah, blah, blah.  The simple fact is, he should have kept his mouth shut on this particular topic, it's too polarizing a topic to spew controversial dialogue about. He doesn't try hard enough to at least be partially sensitive to the feeling of others.  There's no place for it at the top of the roost. His words are magnified three fold and he knows this. Twitter has blown up and it's in every national sports publication, every local newspaper, every sports talk-show, NFL team-sites, and every national newspaper (and mostly all negative).  :facepalm:

How can anyone be negative about building a well rounded team ? This isn't a unique concept to Irsay and the Colts , all teams strive for this. The negativity occurs when you are throwing out left handed compliments to Manning , and seemingly questioning Polian , when he was a big part of getting you a Super Bowl and AFC Championship ring. Ultimately , the buck stops with you as owner.

I can't believe Irsay and Polian had some kind of model during the Manning years where they weren't striving for balance. Some drafts and free agents didn't work out , but that happens with other teams also.

Honestly, this same lack of balance may or may not play out with Luck. If you draft well and pick up good free agents defensively , you may succeed better in the Luck era. If you don't , you would consider yourself lucky to get two Super Bowl appearances , and one ring. It's very hard to win the whole thing.

Irsay should just be saying they had a good run in the Manning era, and are continuing this excellence with Luck. If he and Grigson do the right things quietly , the new rings take care of themselves.

If I was his PR guy or handler , his image would be a lot better than it is this week after the article , and new tweets.

Mods if you think this should be merged please feel free I just thought it will end up posted as it's own topic anyways.

Anyway Irsay had the following to say on twitter:

Those expressing negativity about the concept of building well rounded teams around great QBs 2 achieve Championships have negative agendas.

The noise doesn't bother me, to quote the most loved Ind Colt of all time "I wanted to stay, Jim wanted me to stay, circumstances forced r hand"

So Colt Fans, we're gonna have a fantastic tribute for Peyton, an incredible, historic football game!! Hopefully a memorable, close ball game!

4 old time sake, a few Peyton completions to old teammates..only this time defensive old teammates like #41 :) :) :) Let's bring good energy!

So for all those that are taking what Irsay said in his interview as a shot at Manning there you go straight from the head horse's mouth.  He sure doesn't sound like someone who has bad feelings towards Manning to me.  In fact he sounds like just the opposite.

Jim talks too much

Irsay should just be saying they had a good run in the Manning era, and are continuing this excellence with Luck. If he and Grigson do the right things quietly , the new rings take care of themselves.

He should never say.......we needed better special teams and D.........because nobody knew it?

Nobody talked about it here?  Come on! He's saying what we are doing.  Everybody sees it, everybody knows it.........and hating on Jim Irsay for voicing it.......well it's just hating

He can try to back-pedal all he wants, he just energized the Broncos players, coaches, staff, fans, ... like they really needed it and I know what some say, "If it takes that to get them motivated, what are they doing out there to start with", blah, blah, blah.  The simple fact is, he should have kept his mouth shut on this particular topic, it's too polarizing a topic to spew controversial dialogue about. He doesn't try hard enough to at least be partially sensitive to the feeling of others.  There's no place for it at the top of the roost. His words are magnified three fold and he knows this. Twitter has blown up and it's in every national sports publication, every local newspaper, every sports talk-show, NFL team-sites, and every national newspaper (and mostly all negative).  :facepalm:

Right Chris:

Is Mr.Irsay saying he built a team incorrectly for 12 years?

If so, take your blame, sir.

Irsay said something he shouldn't have said because part of the lack of titles is on him

That's what I took out of the comments also. The media will take anything they can and make an issue out of it. If there is not a legitimate issue they will twist words to make it a story.

The media and some of the Colts fanbase react the same way to the same things.

I hope you aren't a judge. Your interpreation of the truth is essentially what you want it to be and not what it actually is.

I can't believe Irsay and Polian had some kind of model during the Manning years where they weren't striving for balance. Some drafts and free agents didn't work out , but that happens with other teams also.

Look at the way the team was constructed. It's obvious that the roster wasn't balanced.

I'm glad that Mr. Irsay repented on his comments.  If he intended it to say it that way in the first place, then maybe he should choose words better in the first place. 

Guys, I'm rooting for the Colts, but I can't accept negative comments about Manning.  Manning is the Jordan of football.  Bulls fans still loved Jordan after he left. 

Per twitter

My comments meant if we gave Peyton better SP Teams n Def,we would have won more than 1 Sup/Bowl,instead of asking Peyton 2do too much

So all you people running your mouth. Way to take stuff out if context! Good job.

How so? I think everyone knows his shot at Manning was by extension shots at Polian and Dungy. This owner is one of a kind. I will give you that.

I'm starting to agree with that, to be honest. Jim Irsay is the owner, he can say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, however he wants. And I think his comments were taken out of context, twisted to seem like he was saying something negative about Manning, and blown out of proportion. This happens in the media, where people hear what they want to hear, instead of what you actually say.

However, I think he'd have been better off not saying what he said. At the very least, he could have worded it much differently. I don't think he intended to spark controversy. But his comments were misconstrued, partially because he didn't do a very good job of articulating exactly what his position was. He's trying to clear it up now, but it would have been much better for him to save his comments for another time. There's no question Manning will use them as extra motivation, although I don't think he needed any. Like I said before, this is his opportunity to face off with the team that got rid of him, and he'll want to gut the Colts on the field. I have no doubt about that. But Irsay's comments have fanned the flames.

I'm glad that Mr. Irsay repented on his comments.  If he intended it to say it that way in the first place, then maybe he should choose words better in the first place. 

Guys, I'm rooting for the Colts, but I can't accept negative comments about Manning.  Manning is the Jordan of football.  Bulls fans still loved Jordan after he left. 

I agree with the bolded. I don't think his comments were meant to be negative about Manning at all.

How so? I think everyone knows his shot at Manning was by extension shots at Polian and Dungy. This owner is one of a kind. I will give you that.

It's interesting that an opposing team fan - one who doesn't live in the Indy market, who doesn't follow this team as closely and who hasn't lived through the ups and downs - thinks he has better insight into what's going on in Irsay's head.

It's interesting that an opposing team fan - one who doesn't live in the Indy market, who doesn't follow this team as closely and who hasn't lived through the ups and downs - thinks he has better insight into what's going on in Irsay's head.

I agree. No one knows for sure what is going on inside that man's head except for maybe Twitter and Burger King. ;)

I'm glad that Mr. Irsay repented on his comments. If he intended it to say it that way in the first place, then maybe he should choose words better in the first place.

Guys, I'm rooting for the Colts, but I can't accept negative comments about Manning. Manning is the Jordan of football. Bulls fans still loved Jordan after he left.

that's one big thing about Jim he wears his heart on his sleeve and is going to tell you what's on his mind. It wouldn't having someone who is a little more better at using tact when it comes to the media filter what he says first and coach him on a better way to say what he wants to say. However he's the owner so that's not likely to happen.

Repented!? He clarified them and within that clarification took shots at Polian and Dungy.

He never once said anything about Manning. That's what the media heads and some fans are making it out to be.

I'm glad that Mr. Irsay repented on his comments. If he intended it to say it that way in the first place, then maybe he should choose words better in the first place.

Guys, I'm rooting for the Colts, but I can't accept negative comments about Manning. Manning is the Jordan of football. Bulls fans still loved Jordan after he left.

Once again, he never once said "manning"

Also motivated Tom Brady which could haunt us during playoff time!!! Sometimes I love the guy, but he needs to understand how this comes across and could affect how Luck feels and other potential free agents in the future....He needs to keep it to posting song lyrics and potential trades...