Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Polians Are In Charge Of The Draft, Be Realistic

1st Round: DT, I believe the run has to be stopped, the polians drafted Nevis, yes but besides him we have two former undrafted Free Agents and an underachieving 2nd Round pick, that by the talks of Chris Polian, does not deserve a second contract

2nd Round: OG, The interior of the o-line is weak, joe reitz and diem are average players and we got no depth, i say he should be a player that can start immediately

3rd Round: CB, Obviously we need depth at CB, unless you want Lacey to start next season

4th Round: LB, for depth, but has to be someone that can tackle and cover

5th Round: WR, Peyton can make any receiver look good

6th Round: DT, depth

7th Round: CB, depth

no cb, cb, cb

1. cb

2. cb

3. ss

4. nt

5. og

6. wr

7. cb

Our first pick will be no lower than fifth. We would only consider a corner that high if he were going to be a HOFer. Realistically, we would only draft a WR, QB, or D-linemen that high. Otherwise, a guy has to be a certified legend to get drafted that high.

Collie's board is pretty realistic, though I'm not expecting the Polians to go NT/DT round 1. I always like that pick - though DE would be good as well - nor will they draft a bunch of corners.

Teams rarely ever saturate their boards with the most apparent positional weaknesses. Why? Because they know a lot more about their team and it's personnel than we do. They see that there are needs all over the field, and sometimes talent doesn't intersect need/pick position.

You don't just take a CB because you need or want a CB when an obviously better DT, WR, QB, whatever, is sitting there waiting to be plucked.

Collie's board is pretty realistic, though I'm not expecting the Polians to go NT/DT round 1. I always like that pick - though DE would be good as well - nor will they draft a bunch of corners.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Historically speaking, there's no reason to think that DT is a position we would draft in the first round. If ever a year I thought they would it was the year we drafted Hughes. However, I could see a case being made for them possibly finally doing it this year and that is the lack of talent at the position. There are a lot of good DT's but only a few are true, or experienced NT's and that's what we need, unless either Mathews or Ogbu show significant improvement through the rest of the year. After Brandon Thompson and Josh Chapman, the next best NT's are in the 3rd-5th rounds. I think if ever were a chance they would consider taking a DT it's this year if Thompson is still on the board when they pick and that's assuming they traded back

You don't just take a CB because you need or want a CB when an obviously better DT, WR, QB, whatever, is sitting there waiting to be plucked.

To add to that, they're also not going to take a particular position high if there's a significant amount of talent at that position. For example, while a lot of people want to see either Dre Kirkpatrick or Morris Claiborn drafted in the first round, and I would not exactly be mad if one of these 2 were taken, but likely it won't happen. The Colts know there should be a handful of quality players sitting at the top of the second round. So even though CB is probably the biggest area of need, they're not going to draft it right away if CB has more depth than say DT or SS (not to say they'd definitely take either of these in the first round but the best examples I could think of off-hand ;) )

The one problem I have with Collie's board is, in what world does Cliff Harris fall into the 3rd round? He's projected a late 1st/early 2nd in most mocks. Also I don't believe DeCastro falls into the second. He's also a projected 1st. Alot of "Luck" (lol) would have to take place.

Edited by CjMcGirt23

The key thing that is going to be different this year compared to the last 10 is that we are at the top of every round. That means that we get the best look at the remaining talent pool for each round. I think we need to take a serious look at WR, DT, DE, and CB. I don't think we will be #1 overall as some are suggesting...I think that goes to Miami, but we are in the top 6 picks of each round so I would be looking at:

Round 1:

1. Quinton Couples - DE North Carolina.

2. Alshon Jeffery - WR South Carolina

3. Trent Richardson - RB - Alabama (yes believe it or not, another RB. Time to send Brown on his way and as insurance when and not if Addai can't last a full season).

Round 2:

1. Depending on first round selection, WR, DT, DE

Round 3:

1. DT, OLB, OT, DE

Round 4:

1. CB, SS, G

Round 5:

1. CB, FS

Round 6:

1. K

Round 7:

1. Water-boy

The one problem I have with Collie's board is, in what world does Cliff Harris fall into the 3rd round? He's projected a late 1st/early 2nd in most mocks. Also I don't believe DeCastro falls into the second. He's also a projected 1st. Alot of "Luck" (lol) would have to take place.

Don't know what mocks you are looking at because he is the 69th rated player in the draft according to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012_CB but then again anything can happen on draft day and anything can happen during the season causing his stock to fall.

I can see the reasoning behind DeCastro but guards don't tend to get drafted in the 1st round like they use to.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Historically speaking, there's no reason to think that DT is a position we would draft in the first round. If ever a year I thought they would it was the year we drafted Hughes. However, I could see a case being made for them possibly finally doing it this year and that is the lack of talent at the position. There are a lot of good DT's but only a few are true, or experienced NT's and that's what we need, unless either Mathews or Ogbu show significant improvement through the rest of the year. After Brandon Thompson and Josh Chapman, the next best NT's are in the 3rd-5th rounds. I think if ever were a chance they would consider taking a DT it's this year if Thompson is still on the board when they pick and that's assuming they traded back

The reason we have not drafted a DT in the first round is that Polian has always said that once you are picking outside of the top 5 or 6 picks, the first round talent is no longer there. We have not been that high since we got Freeney and he is an undersized end.

Edited by Quantum88

The reason we have not drafted a DT in the first round is that Polian has always said that once you are picking outside of the top 5 or 6 picks, the first round talent is no longer there. We have not been that high since we got Freeney and he is an undersized end.

Freeney definitely doesn't play like he's undersized, though. He pushes guys around when the moves aren't there for him.

What Polian is referring to is the "obvious" talent. He spoke of Suh and Bradford, in particular, when he made those comments. They were obvious studs who would play and make an impact. After pick 5 or 6, he believes the talent becomes more developmental instead of instrumental.

That, and there doesn't seem to be a DT (in the mold we need) projected in the top 5. So we may pass on that option yet again.