Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

vontae davis

runthepost

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davis played well, Toler was the one that was getting beat. This is why i said we need to go CB early in draft, Toler is a slot CB forced to be played on the outside. Now he'll have to cover Thomas and Decker not looking forward to it.

What do you think of Bradley Roby? He is best in press coverage and has Davis' size and build.

What did Davis do wrong in that coverage , I'm all ears. He had outside help with Howell there and he covered accordingly. So but still what ?

I can't talk to you over the interwebs so I'd appreciate it if you'd give me your eyes instead. Davis should have kept his assignment on him and broken up the pass. Davis and howell were double covering him and they both failed to make a play. Elite corners shouldn't give that up even with safety help.

I can't talk to you over the interwebs so I'd appreciate it if you'd give me your eyes instead. Davis should have kept his assignment on him and broken up the pass. Davis and howell were double covering him and they both failed to make a play. Elite corners shouldn't give that up even with safety help.

elite Corners do give up Safety help because thats how the play is drawn up

Davis played well, Toler was the one that was getting beat. This is why i said we need to go CB early in draft, Toler is a slot CB forced to be played on the outside. Now he'll have to cover Thomas and Decker not looking forward to it.

I have to agree with this. They weren't picking on Davis, they were picking on Toler and to make matters worse he absolutely made some home headed penalties.

Davis and Howell got beat by him on the td. More on Howeel though, but still

Davis and Howell got beat?  See this is why I can't take some of these threads seriously.  If you watched the play, not only did Howell completely whiff on coverage, he completely took Davis out of the play too.  Davis was perfectly fine on coverage until Howell botched the play.

Davis and Howell got beat?  See this is why I can't take some of these threads seriously.  If you watched the play, not only did Howell completely whiff on coverage, he completely took Davis out of the play too.  Davis was perfectly fine on coverage until Howell botched the play.

Agree 100%. Howell took the wrong angle. That should have been picked off.

Agree 100%. Howell took the wrong angle. That should have been picked off.

If either Howell played the receiver the way he should have or at least got out of the way, it would have been I think.  Unfortunately, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.  Not that I like saying it, but Allen did make a heck of a catch.

That was What a ~30 yard play? The corner definitely was supposed to stick with him. Safety help or No, he was beat on the play.

Not if he was supposed to have safety help over the top.  In that situation the CB is supposed to play a yard behind the receiver.  Then if the safety is in position the receiver cannot break the route off and come inside, the safety is supposed to maintain his space this keeps the receiver on the sideline and either forces the QB to throw to the middle of the field where there is the other safety and LBers playing zone or forces the QB to put some more air under the ball, throwing it in a tight spot on the sideline.  Since the CB is playing behind the receiver it then forces the QB to put more air under the ball which then gives the safety time to run back and make a play on the ball.  Howell came up too early on the inside receiver which gave Allen time to break inside thus invalidating the CB position and then Howell made another mistake by running to the sideline rather than running back to his original position.  The result is a seemingly easy TD.

I will also say, I know the announcers talked about Toler getting picked on and they threw to his guy a lot.  But many of those times he was in position and had good coverage the receiver just made a nice play and Rivers placement of the ball was near perfect most of the night.  Sometimes there are games like that.

It means he's built as a nickel corner.

He should be covering the #3 WR not the #2

Okay, you substituted the word "built" for "molded" And defined the slot.  But you are still saying the same thing... what does that mean?  What skills does he have or not have that make him better against a slot receiver than an outside receiver?  Why do you think he would do well as one and not the other.

And it can't be size because at 6' 190lbs he is both taller and heavier than the NFL average for CBs. (which is 5'10", 182lbs)

I'll give an unbiased opinion on Vonte. He's a stud, plain and simple. He can hold his own with most receivers in this league. I'm guessing that the Colts will play him on Demaryius Thomas most of the night on Sunday. That will be a good test for him.

The only way they will be matched up is if DT is on the left side of the formation smh