Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BREAKING: Adrian Peterson's 2 yr old son passes away after attack (merge) (edit)

Everyone

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my mother
She'll know I'm safe with you when 
She stands under my colours, oh and
Life ain't always what you think it oughta be, no 
Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby
The sharp knife of a short life, 
Well, I've had just enough time

The Band Perry - If I Die Young

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a horrible story all around. 

The monster that has the capacity for evil to kill a toddler....I have no words that haven't already been thrown out there by the other posters.

As for Peterson, he's also dropped significantly in my book respect-wise. I can't believe he'd leave his dying, critically wounded son to play in a friggin' football game in 2 days. That's not heroic; that's the sign of a guy with messed up priorities in life. I know it's his choice to make and he didn't get to be the best at what he does by not having an insane work ethic, but I can't respect a father who's got it in him to leave his son in that situation rather than miss one game.  It's a shame that the boy's last moments couldn't have been with his pops. 

It hurts that much more to know, a great guy like AP has to go through this pain. No one in the world should ever have to go through this form of pain and agony. Also, No one in the world should ever put their hands violently on a child. Wish the best for Adrian 

Leaving his critically injured, dying son for a football game.

Real heroic stuff.

Umm he left practice as soon as he heard his boy was in the hospital.

And then met the boy for the first time, who clearly was in terrible shame, and then promptly left to make sure he still played Sunday. His son dying had no ultimate effect on that decision.

It's crystal clear what Adrian's priorities were. It's a shame fans don't want to see it and will make every excuse in the world for him, but it is what it is. Unless having enough "heart" to miss a practice for your dying son is something to be applauded so long as you're still out there on game day.

Guest TeamLoloJones

And then met the boy for the first time, who clearly was in terrible shame, and then promptly left to make sure he still played Sunday. His son dying had no ultimate effect on that decision.

It's crystal clear what Adrian's priorities were. It's a shame fans don't want to see it and will make every excuse in the world for him, but it is what it is. Unless having enough "heart" to miss a practice for your dying son is something to be applauded so long as you're still out there on game day.

If you have ever gone through what Adrian has just gone through then go ahead and say what you want.  If not, you (and everyone else) should just keep your traps shut about how he deals with it.

If you have ever gone through was Adrian has just gone through then go ahead a say what you want.  If not, you (and everyone else) should just keep your traps shut about how he deals with it.

This.

Everyone deals with negative (and positive, for that matter) situations differently. Peterson himself said that football is proving to be an escape of sorts for him. 

We have no idea what he's like as a father and we have no idea how we'd react if we were in the same situation.

Com'on Hans, you're being a bit overly critical.  Everyone grieves differently.  Some people bury their head in their work.  I had a daughter die 2 hours after she was born.  I never really knew her, but I coped by working.  If that means losing other people's respect, then it just has to be that way.  Because I kinda understand how AP feels.  You're upset because it was your kid, terribly upset.  But you didn't really have a relationship with him/her.  You're confused, you feel robbed, all while trying to make sense of it wondering if there was something else you could have done, or maybe that you didn't do enough and the only time I got any solace at all was either when I was with my wife, drinking (which is a terrible way to cope by the way), or at work.  Be a bit understanding and acknowledge that you may not know what someone else is going through, and even if you did, not everyone grieves the same exact way.  There's no textbook for this sort of thing, no timelines.  It's just what works for you.

You really should not judge him.   None of us know the details of the situation, or the relationship.    It is my understanding, that he was only informed recently that this precious little boy  was, in fact, his child,  thus the reason for not meeting him sooner.

His name was not on the Birth Certificate, and like it or not,  because of legal ramifications, the Mother held all the cards in this situation.

Bottom line, an innocent life was taken, and many other lives have been affected because of this.     

I just think the death of a child would be so paralyzing that football would be his last thought. Then again Dungy came right back after his son committed suicide.

Yeah, I don't know if I would be able to do it either but I guess getting out there and getting active takes off a lot of stress. And pounding guys and impressing your will takes off even more anger.

Com'on Hans, you're being a bit overly critical.  Everyone grieves differently.  Some people bury their head in their work.  I had a daughter die 2 hours after she was born.  I never really knew her, but I coped by working.  If that means losing other people's respect, then it just has to be that way.  Because I kinda understand how AP feels.  You're upset because it was your kid, terribly upset.  But you didn't really have a relationship with him/her.  You're confused, you feel robbed, all while trying to make sense of it wondering if there was something else you could have done, or maybe that you didn't do enough and the only time I got any solace at all was either when I was with my wife, drinking (which is a terrible way to cope by the way), or at work.  Be a bit understanding and acknowledge that you may not know what someone else is going through, and even if you did, not everyone grieves the same exact way.  There's no textbook for this sort of thing, no timelines.  It's just what works for you.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Without going into explicit details, I can relate.

And that's the reason I've lost so much respect for AP. It's not being driven to work after the death of a loved one as a coping mechanism. That part, I get. All too well. 

It's the leaving while that loved one is dying that sparked my reaction. To leave when that loved one is on the precipice of death requires a coldness I can't defend. It would be akin to the doctor telling you your daughter was in critical condition, and you promptly going on a conference out of town after your firm's given you their blessing to take as much time as you need. 

My respect for Peterson and his priorities in life weren't formed after his child's tragic death; his son's ultimate end simply cemented the disgust I had that he could leave his flesh and blood, after a day, in a near death state to play football instead. If that makes me the judgmental one, that's O.K. That doesn't change that the man chose 1 football game over his son's final moments.

A friend of mine wrote this a couple days ago and its because of this perspective that I choose not to have an opinion on the matter of AP's decisions.

Sometimes an event happens that can raise serious questions about why life can be so cruel. There have been a few from the NFL in recent memory. The recent events in Adrian Peterson's personal life are another example of fame and tragedy colliding. These events seem to elicit very strong emotions from the public.

The Aaron Hernandez murder accusations come to mind. Why a man with such a promising career would resort to murder is incomprehensible. I concede that he has not been convicted of this charge, but reasonable questions about why he happens to be tied to so many tragic events is justified. The Jovan Belcher murder/suicide is another case of shocking ugliness in the world. It is difficult for most of us to understand why one persons breaking point is seemingly reached without anyone really knowing that they were falling apart. Why did he feel that there was no other option?

Those men have been tied to horrible acts and I want to be clear that I don't mean to label Adrian Peterson with any kind of villain tag. My intention is to show that in some cases we may see a famous celebrity only as what we see as at his best. We mistakenly presume that someone who has mastered his craft has also mastered all other aspects of his life. It is not fair to them, but it can be argued that it is a part of the price of fame.

Peterson, his family and the team have done their best to avoid adding media attention to the list of difficulties that will surround everyone affected by what will likely be the fatal beating of Peterson's two year old child. I keep myself very informed about the happenings in the NFL. It is remarkable that this story wasn't already widespread yesterday. The fact that A.P. has been out of state and returned for practice before this took off is somewhat remarkable. The fact that he has already returned to practice has stirred up criticism which ultimately isn't a surprise.

We all try to identify with the circumstances of others. In this case many feel that they would not yet have returned to the team. Peterson's decision to play on Sunday has also drawn scorn from some. I try not to fault the various opinions because I think they stem from a desire to make sense of a situation that is difficult to comprehend. I am going to withhold criticism of A.P. at this point. I think that his life has been more difficult than we realize. This man has sustained repeated serious injuries and he has overcome each by working harder than most are capable of. He's been among the most talented of athletes at every level of competition he's tried. His father is a part of his life, but spent most of A.P.'s early life in prison. He was already a college star at OU when his father saw him play football for the first time. Incidentally, this milestone in his young life was cut short when he sustained a broken collar bone as he dove for a score. Having to live life without a father to help is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. Peterson has credited past coaches and teammates for filling the role of family in his life. He's overcome challenges and achieved amazing things with a team fulfilling the role of a large supporting family. This has made me realize that it shouldn't be so unthinkable that he is seeking comfort in a place that has always helped before. It is important to remember that a person being famous for greatness at something does not mean that they are great at all of the other aspects of living. Being a great running back does not make fatherhood any easier than being a great garbage collector would. It just puts a brighter spotlight on the decisions that one makes along the way.

I had no idea AP had a baby mama.

Thats because until recently neither did he.  That is why i dont get what the media is doing here. 

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2013/10/adrian_petersons_sioux_falls_child_was_a_secret_source_says.php

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/peterson-leaves-vikings-critically-injured-son-report-article-1.1482734

Everyone is thinking it is Adrian Jr.  The son he ACTUALLY takes care of.  This other kid was a with a woman who he had a "casual" relationship with.  The mother didnt know who the father was until recently.  So to say that Adrian Peterson must be devastated, is kind of stretching it.  When you read articles on this, it shows pictures of AP with his son Adrian Jr. even thought the kid that died is not him.  Adrian Peterson most likely had no real emotional attachment to the kid since he didnt even know about him til recently.  Not to take away from the tragedy of a child losing his life.  But he probably feels the same way you do.  Bad that a kid died, but he really didnt know him that well.  You can tell in his interviews that he is not all that tore up over it, showing that his emotional connection to the child is not there as strongly as people seem to make it out to be.  If it was his other son Adrian jr.  You can bet you would see the emotion and he probably would not play. 

You just got to read into things more.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss. Without going into explicit details, I can relate.

And that's the reason I've lost so much respect for AP. It's not being driven to work after the death of a loved one as a coping mechanism. That part, I get. All too well. 

It's the leaving while that loved one is dying that sparked my reaction. To leave when that loved one is on the precipice of death requires a coldness I can't defend. It would be akin to the doctor telling you your daughter was in critical condition, and you promptly going on a conference out of town after your firm's given you their blessing to take as much time as you need. 

My respect for Peterson and his priorities in life weren't formed after his child's tragic death; his son's ultimate end simply cemented the disgust I had that he could leave his flesh and blood, after a day, in a near death state to play football instead. If that makes me the judgmental one, that's O.K. That doesn't change that the man chose 1 football game over his son's final moments.

Read two posts up.  Then stop referring to the kid a loved one. 

Am i to understand that the man left his son, who he had met for the first time, at the hospital before he died to make sure he made a football game?

A son he knew he had for 4 months but never bothered to go meet?

If so, I think i'm going to puke.

Why puke?  He already had a commitment to the game that he was supposed to make.  He didnt know the kid, had no emotional connection to him whatsoever.  The only thing making the child his 'son' is biology.  Biology doesnt make you love someone, doesnt make you care for them, doesnt make you know them.  The kid was two years old and he just found out about it 4 months ago.  Seems like poor planning on the mothers part.  Cant blame AP for that.  Heck the woman didnt even know who the father was anyways when she got pregnant.  So just goes to show you what kind of woman she is.  And your going to blame Peterson for this? 

Now i think im going to puke.

read above post.  And refer it to your friend as well.

I was aware of that and I'm fairly certain the friend is too. The point I was trying to get across in that quote is what function the team might serve for someone like AP, not just specific to this situation, but in general - the last 3 lines of the last paragraph mainly. More of a statement on people's tendency to rush to judgement.

I was aware of that and I'm fairly certain the friend is too. The point I was trying to get across in that quote is what function the team might serve for someone like AP, not just specific to this situation, but in general - the last 3 lines of the last paragraph mainly. More of a statement on people's tendency to rush to judgement.

It was your middle paragraph and referring to the kid as a loved one that i was responding to.  You cant blame him when he didnt even know about the kid hardly at all nor did he have any emotional connection to it.  Thats like me finding out my friend had a baby a few months ago, then i go visit him in the hospital cause the kid is dying.  Doesnt mean im going to take off work for a week because of it.  Thats probably about the same amount of emotional connection he had with his "son".

It was your middle paragraph and referring to the kid as a loved one that i was responding to. You cant blame him when he didnt even know about the kid hardly at all nor did he have any emotional connection to it. Thats like me finding out my friend had a baby a few months ago, then i go visit him in the hospital cause the kid is dying. Doesnt mean im going to take off work for a week because of it. Thats probably about the same amount of emotional connection he had with his "son".

so do parents not have emotional ties to a new born? Does it really matter how long he knew he had a child? Its his child none the less. I don't really have a problem with him playing Sunday. But he shouldn't have left the hospital with his son fighting for his life.

It was your middle paragraph and referring to the kid as a loved one that i was responding to.  You cant blame him when he didnt even know about the kid hardly at all nor did he have any emotional connection to it.  Thats like me finding out my friend had a baby a few months ago, then i go visit him in the hospital cause the kid is dying.  Doesnt mean im going to take off work for a week because of it.  Thats probably about the same amount of emotional connection he had with his "son".

I am neither condemning nor defending, just wanted to post the entire thing in context; no need to explain it to me.

Why puke? He already had a commitment to the game that he was supposed to make. He didnt know the kid, had no emotional connection to him whatsoever. The only thing making the child his 'son' is biology. Biology doesnt make you love someone, doesnt make you care for them, doesnt make you know them. The kid was two years old and he just found out about it 4 months ago. Seems like poor planning on the mothers part. Cant blame AP for that. Heck the woman didnt even know who the father was anyways when she got pregnant. So just goes to show you what kind of woman she is. And your going to blame Peterson for this?

Now i think im going to puke.

its still his child. do you have children?

....Or we are all discussing/comdemning a situation/person we know nothing about except what the media wants us to know....bits and pieces. so while some of you are all but calling for Petersons head on a stick remember you know really nothing about the situation, you weren't their.

....Or we are all discussing/comdemning a situation/person we know nothing about except what the media wants us to know....bits and pieces. so while some of you are all but calling for Petersons head on a stick remember you know really nothing about the situation, you weren't their.

we know he was in Minnesota when his son died in north Dakota

we know he was in Minnesota when his son died in north Dakota

Which means nothing, I was at home  in the middle of the night when my great grandma was in the hospital before she died. It dont change anything, me being there would not have made her live even if I could race up there, AP could have raced there and may have still not made it and even if he did, it would not have changed anything.

Which means nothing, I was at home in the middle of the night when my great grandma was in the hospital before she died. It dont change anything, me being there would not have made her live even if I could race up there, AP could have raced there and may have still not made it and even if he did, it would not have changed anything.

he was already there and left while his child was on life support