Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck, best bang for the buck!

Narcosys

No doubt about that....we couldn't put this team around someone getting paid like Peyton. We need to make the most of it while we can....a couple years and Luck will be making what they are....and then it will get interesting to see where we make cuts at.

Something needs to be done about the crazy QB salaries. Even with Peyton at #2 it is hard to argue that the Broncs have enough around him and we know he can't do it alone. Rodgers also has no D and look at the Ravens. Just tough, tough to be competitive while carrying a $20 million salary.

Something needs to be done about the crazy QB salaries. Even with Peyton at #2 it is hard to argue that the Broncs have enough around him and we know he can't do it alone. Rodgers also has no D and look at the Ravens. Just tough, tough to be competitive while carrying a $20 million salary.

They should be allowed to adjust the salary cap to adjust for the QB salaries.  I think if they raised it by even 10M that would help to alleviate alot of the issues.  But i guess it to prevent dominate teams from staying dominate and make everyone more 'equal'.

These teams have got to realize that paying that much money while good for the qb is going to be detrimental to ones team in the long run. I hope someone comes along to say "you know what... please put that extra money aside, and let's build an amazing team." It would be a breath of fresh air.

I think they have plenty around him....but the reason they can get away with it is D. Thomas, Von Miller, Decker, and J Thomas are on their rookie contracts

They should be allowed to adjust the salary cap to adjust for the QB salaries.  I think if they raised it by even 10M that would help to alleviate alot of the issues.  But i guess it to prevent dominate teams from staying dominate and make everyone more 'equal'.

Well in a couple years the salary cap is suppose to go up by like 30 million.  So that will alleviate some of the pressure.

The problem is that top QB salaries in the future will slowly adjust to where they are back to taking up 20% of the cap again.  

What it will take is for QB's to recognize that their team's can't be compete for SB's while they are taking up 20% of the cap and willingly take less then they can get.  

I think they have plenty around him....but the reason they can get away with it is D. Thomas, Von Miller, Decker, and J Thomas are on their rookie contracts

Miller will not solve Denver's defensive woes. His offense is great because Elway is doing what Polian did and putting all star talent around him. But the defense? eh...and Miller is one offense away from being gone for the season.

Miller will not solve Denver's defensive woes. His offense is great because Elway is doing what Polian did and putting all star talent around him. But the defense? eh...and Miller is one offense away from being gone for the season.

Does Denver really have defensive woes though?  While they have hardly have shut anyone down in terms of scoring defense, the cowboys are the only team that they allowed to break 30 points.  And this is again without Von Miller.

On top of that I remember several of the points against them being scored in garbage time after they had already jumped out to a huge league and where playing all soft coverage to prevent quick scores.  

Does Denver really have defensive woes though?  While they have hardly have shut anyone down in terms of scoring defense, the cowboys are the only team that they allowed to break 30 points.  And this is again without Von Miller.

On top of that I remember several of the points against them being scored in garbage time after they had already jumped out to a huge league and where playing all soft coverage to prevent quick scores.  

They are ranked 24 in points allowed. Previous to Dallas they were ranked 16 and that was against garbage teams like the Eagles and Giants. I think they are worse then last year but because Peyton is jumping out to big leads it is forcing the other team to be one dimensional and throw especially in the second half. I think their ranking would be worse if Peyton was playing average.

True but I was just looking at their contracts on overthecap.com.  And I'm amazed at how well negotiated some of their non-rookie contracts are in the Bronco's favor.  

Ryan Clady for example, they only gave him a 3 million dollar signing bonus.  He can be cut next season with only 2.4 mil in dead money and a 6 mil cap savings.

Also only 3 players (Manning, Bailey, and Clady) have cap numbers over 5 million this year.  Bailey can be cut at any time for NO dead money, Clady can be cut next year for only 2.4 mil in dead money.  

Honestly I have to admire Elway's negotiating skills.  

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2013

If they need some quick cap space they can cut Bailey and get 10 mil in cap space with no dead money.  

They are ranked 24 in points allowed. Previous to Dallas they were ranked 16 and that was against garbage teams like the Eagles and Giants. I think they are worse then last year but because Peyton is jumping out to big leads it is forcing the other team to be one dimensional and throw especially in the second half. I think their ranking would be worse if Peyton was playing average.

True, but I'm curious as to how many of those points where scored when all realistic hope of winning was lost though.  

Those should not count because the defense in those situations isn't so interested in preventing the score per se, they are interested in making sure that it takes the opposing team as much time as possible.  

True, but I'm curious as to how many of those points where scored when all realistic hope of winning was lost though.  

Those should not count because the defense in those situations isn't so interested in preventing the score per se, they are interested in making sure that it takes the opposing team as much time as possible.  

The first halves of every game were close so some of it was the defense letting up points and yards before the blow out.

Also, I think everyone knows Dallas is not a 48 point a game team and Romo a 500 yard passer. That was a horrific effort against a good offense not a great one.

The first halves of every game were close so some of it was the defense letting up points and yards before the blow out.

Also, I think everyone knows Dallas is not a 48 point a game team and Romo a 500 yard passer. That was a horrific effort against a good offense not a great one.

True but one bad game does not a bad defense make.  

u nailed it

and this week as blackman came back after a suspension and got 1453 yards passinfg and cecil shorts make a good due that helped MJ run , not that Peyuton cant outduel them even with play caller woodward, and DE ayers and possibly Harris out

But back to your point broncos agree and artcile below says are now changing way defense will practice due to last game and what u said 

====================

EXCERPTS

While personnel is not Fox's bailiwick, he acknowledged the Broncos could look for defensive upgrades prior to the league's Oct. 29 trade deadline.

"You're always looking for ways to improve your team," Fox said. "It's still early in the process. But we might be on a couple guys."

can Denver really afford to waste a spot on its 53-man roster with defensive back Quentin Jammer, who has recorded no tackles and earned little opportunity to contribute through five games?

to coax more efficiency from his defense, Fox revealed he has made an interesting decision: The Broncos need to be coached in a new way.

"There's no doubt we're having to adjust the way we coach, because we're getting what we do on offense from the other team. Why? That other team is trying to stay up with us on the scoreboard," Fox said.

"When you play against the two-minute drill the whole game, you're going to give up more yards. We have to give our defense more bullets."

The reality of the NFL in 2013 is: Peyton Manning and elite quarterbacks rule. Defenses drool. And wheeze. And get torched.

Having Manning on your side is both a blessing and a curse to a defense.

The points scored by Manning can turn foes one-dimensional

the quick-strike nature of Manning can also give the Denver defense precious little time to rest. And the pace established by the Broncos has forced foes into hurry-up offenses that can be hard to handle.

"It's not knocking our offense by any stretch of the imagination, but it changes the way we have to game plan and prepare defensively," Fox said. "It used to be you worked on defending the two-minute offense during practice on Fridays. And that was it.

"If we're going to see the two-minute offense on first, second and third downs, as coaches we need more calls — more bullets — to help our defense."

As a defensive coach, you can't fight it. You have to find a way to adjust to it."

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24286228/kiszla-theres-no-rest-weary-denver-broncos-defense

so maybe they will practice Vs  2 minute drills more often  ???,

or get somerone in a trade that can help

Meanwhile 1st pick sly williams is often not even activated & 2nd pick Ball , well they should of got Lacy to go with Moreno & Hillman and not worry about his toe issue as they put it