Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis Sack Total Predictions

danlhart87

Hmmmm, I wonder if a DC has considered it?

I love how the Colts are using RM...    they are utilizing him in a fashion that would have totally dwarfed FRee's ability.

Robert is simply "flexible" ...         and in a 34 that lends to ...       success.

15, I think he starts drawing double teams at some point

Hmmmm, I wonder if a DC has considered it?

I love how the Colts are using RM...    they are utilizing him in a fashion that would have totally dwarfed FRee's ability.

Robert is simply "flexible" ...         and in a 34 that lends to ...       success.

I dont think he is as flexible as you might think. He has proven that he is more then capable of getting sacks without Freeney of course but he has proven to be every bit the liability against the run that Freeney is

Has he been getting so many sacks because we are playing running qbs and he just doesn't quit on them?  Has anyone noticed how many of those sacks came from a more traditional rush?  Honestly, I was suprised he had this many sacks.

I used to think Mathis was purely a byproduct of Freeney.  I'm extremely glad to have been wrong about him. The man is a beast.

I'll say 21.

I never bought into the theory of another pass rushrs stats being inflated do to another pass rusher being on the field who is equally as good or better (least tried not to buy into that theory) if a guy is explosive off the snap and knows how to use a couple moves then he has a good shot to be a good pass rusher no matter if another great pass rusher is on the other end or not, what I have noticed (in my opinion) Mathis is predictable (but still explosive....thats where he gets his sacks) with his pass rush...yes he has a spin move but a large majority of the time he rushes the outside shoulder instead of trying to take a direct inside path to the QB (which in turn should make it more difficult for a qb that can run to actually take off in my opinion) instead he rushes that outside shoulder hard leaving that LT just to watch him go by with minimal effort leaving a gaping hole for a rb or mobile QB to walk right through

I think 15-16 is about right. He will start getting double teamed more often. I will say he has a great chance to keep this pace up going against less mobile QBs. You know he is itching to get after Peyton. Just have to get there quick enough. We all know Peyton gets the ball out fast.

Has he been getting so many sacks because we are playing running qbs and he just doesn't quit on them?  Has anyone noticed how many of those sacks came from a more traditional rush?  Honestly, I was suprised he had this many sacks.

I thought of that also. I was looking at the most sacked QB's this year. Most were the ones we played. I'm afraid he may only get 17 or so.

I thought of that also. I was looking at the most sacked QB's this year. Most were the ones we played. I'm afraid he may only get 17 or so.

That makes sense.  I just don't recall a lot of sacks where he just flat out beat his man.  It seemed to be more like the QB is running out of the pocket and gets chased down.  Oh well......I think we'll start to see how good Mathis and this pass rush is with more drop back QBs coming up.