Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 Games in London Next Year

braveheartcolt

Jags have an agreement with the league to host a home game there over the next few years. 

I don't think a NFL team will go there full-time, there are just too many very real travel concerns but I could see the NFL maybe finding a happy medium and playing one game a week in London featuring different teams. 

The good news for Colts fans (at least the none London based portion of the fanbase) is that of those three teams we only play the Jags so unless our road game with the Jags is in London we wont be making the trip. 

Relax, not a home game for us.......hosted by the Jags, Raiders and Falcons....

This is a sign guys......London Jaguars, here we come....

What is the reaction over there to the games in London?  Are they popular and worth it?

As a fan I would hate it for my tema to play over there, especially after the failure of NFL Europe but if it's a big deal for Europeans then I can see why the league would do it.

What is the reaction over there to the games in London?  Are they popular and worth it?

As a fan I would hate it for my tema to play over there, especially after the failure of NFL Europe but if it's a big deal for Europeans then I can see why the league would do it.

Pretty huge Coffee. 2 sell-outs this year (80,000+), so I assume that is why they are upping to 3 next year. Still a carnival atmosphere, and a good excuse for all the NFL fans to get together and see a real game. I can't imagine a London team being well enough supported though, as most of us already have a team......but you never know.

I think most NFL fans in the US hate this trend.  None of us want to lose a home game.

The reason the NFL pushes these games is strictly marketing.  They want to sell NFL merchandise in Europe.  They know there's no way to put a team over there in the near future.

Pretty huge Coffee. 2 sell-outs this year (80,000+), so I assume that is why they are upping to 3 next year. Still a carnival atmosphere, and a good excuse for all the NFL fans to get together and see a real game. I can't imagine a London team being well enough supported though, as most of us already have a team......but you never know.

Thanks braveheartcolt.  What are ticket prices?

This has always been something I have thought about.  Most of the NFL fans over there have a team they root for.  Will fans really gravitate to say the Jags just because they move to London?  Especially if that team just flat out sucks like the Jags do now. I get the home town team deal , but will fans really give up say rooting for the Colts and Luck for a horrible Jags team just because they are based in London?

I can see them getting to the point of having a weekly game in London, but I think the idea of having a full time team in London is like a decade long plan. 

From a  competitive balance point of view will a London team work?  How many good free agents will ever want to go over there for a long term contract with family and friends here in the states?  it is one thing to live in NY and travel to Florida to see family, but its an entirely different trip from London to Florida.  So really they will have to over spend to attract free agents and really have to nail the draft.  Then they have to fight to keep their young guys who may want to go back to the states.

I think most NFL fans in the US hate this trend.  None of us want to lose a home game.

The reason the NFL pushes these games is strictly marketing.  They want to sell NFL merchandise in Europe.  They know there's no way to put a team over there in the near future.

Probably true Sm. But we don't care, we get to have a good day out. One day, my Colts will come. 60 minute round trip. Beats the 28 hours like this weekend!

Probably true Sm. But we don't care, we get to have a good day out. One day, my Colts will come. 60 minute round trip. Beats the 28 hours like this weekend!

Hope it's an away game for Indy fans sake.  Also, hope you had a great time at the game.  You certainly picked a good one!

I'm lucky enough to get up to Indy a couple times a year.  The city is a fun place that's easy to get around, and the people are terrific.  I swear Indy has the best dressed homeless I've ever seen.

Cheapest around 50 USD. Some good 'club' tix around 150 USD.

I'm going to the Jags / Niners game in a few weeks, but Corporate hospitality......so wined and dined, in a box, 50 yard line....I wasn't planning to go to that one......but it was too good an offer...

Wow, have a good time.

Hope it's an away game for Indy fans sake.  Also, hope you had a great time at the game.  You certainly picked a good one!

I'm lucky enough to get up to Indy a couple times a year.  The city is a fun place that's easy to get around, and the people are terrific.  I swear Indy has the best dressed homeless I've ever seen.

By Monday morning, the homeless were offering me some of their loose change.....

Surely a Win is more important? Missing one game every 10 years is not the end of the world! Give some respect to your European fans!!

A win is always more important!

And no disrespect to you or any other fan out there.

I just think one team losing a home game at a neutral sight stinks. I didn't watch the Steelers/Vikes game this year, because I was watching the Colts. However, that was a considered a Vikes home game, and if I had to guess, there were probably more Steeler fans in attendance

I've consistently said that I don't like the idea of expansion overseas. I'm not sure that I like the idea of expansion at all. Things just work too well right now.

However at least if there were 16 games in London every year it would just become a predictable part of the existing schedule. Everyone would play over there once per year, and everyone would lose a home game once every other year. Equal pain.

Of course season ticket holders might not be quite so happy - I can't see the Colts anyway.

For season ticket holders in London however that would be a delightful smorgasbord. I'd be a bit jealous.

As a Colts fan living in Scotland, I'm also just a massive fan of the NFL in general.

Like BHC says in this thread the game is still somewhat of a carnival atmosphere with 85000 NFL fans all getting together to watch any game they can that comes across the pond.

I personally attended the Vikings v Steelers last week and it was excellent. I attended the first two games they brought across but once I had a taste for it Iv been more waiting on a better match-up coming across. A couple games recently especially with the Patriots have just been blow outs.

It's a brilliant experience for fans wanting to learn more about the game and get an idea of what a game day feels like rather than watching on TV.

I have been to two games in the US and I can safely say it's still the best experience for maybe more the die-hard fans as appose to the fans who may just be taking up an interest in the sport.

I really hope one day the Colts come over. I can understand how you guys would be mad if it were a home game, so I'd be more than happy for it to be as an away team.

What's obvious tho, is Goodell is very keen to keep the huge following and increase it in the UK

I'm ok to have 3 or 4 games over there a year. Honestly I would rather the NFL add another bye week for teams to stay healthier and the stars stay on the field too but that will probably never happen...even with the addition of 1 extra postseason game (ie only the top seed gets a bye). Wouldn't be surprised to see a game in Mexico City too like say SD or Arizona play down there.

The NFL is all about expansion. If they can have a team in London and Los Angeles, they sure as hell will keep pushing for it.

The question comes with the Thursday night games. Seriously, did we really need a Thursday night game every week? For a league that is all about preventing injuries and all this safety first propaganda, they sure have been trying really hard to make it worse on these guys. I thought the Thursday night games was their excuse of not getting their way with an 18 game season.

First off, The UK don't even need a team, you can say. But the same goes for Toronto where the Bills have been constantly trying to push their franchise through. L.A. has the second biggest market in the country and they don't have an NFL team, but once upon a time they had not one but two teams and you saw how much they really appreciated them and wanted them there.

It's all about money. I used the Thursday night games as an example of it. If the league could make more money with advertisements by putting them on jerseys, they would do it in a heart beat. It don't matter who the commissioner is either. We can say a lot of things about Roger Goodell, and I have been blasted him non stop since last year, but I'm sure the same crap would happen if we had some other sock puppet commissioner to the owners. The NFL has an incredibly bad image under Goodell with the player safety nonsense and even more moving the Super Bowl to New York for this season. By the time he is finally gone he's going to be remembered for more damage done to this league than the good for it, but it won't matter. The NFL is more popular than ever and you can take any criticism towards it and debunk it one way or another just like people do when you present them the 100% proof that the NBA is rigged and David Stern has been doing it since at least the 90's.