Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis...remember him?

cmgww

For years I said Mathis was better than Freeney, and tried in vain to prop Mathis up, all while trying to put Freeney in perspective....Mostly I was met with 'Mathis is good BUT Freeney makes him go, they gameplan Freeney etc etc etc'....Well finally we are seeing what Mathis can do all by his lonesome, and in a scheme that works for him. And it is simply amazing. 

9.5 sacks, 1 PD, 2FF, 17 tackles with 7 assists......in 5 games is just incredible.....If he can get in the 15 sack, 5 FF range, with 40 tackles, he should be in the front running for DPoY.... 

For years I said Mathis was better than Freeney, and tried in vain to prop Mathis up, all while trying to put Freeney in perspective....Mostly I was met with 'Mathis is good BUT Freeney makes him go, they gameplan Freeney etc etc etc'....Well finally we are seeing what Mathis can do all by his lonesome, and in a scheme that works for him. And it is simply amazing. 

9.5 sacks, 1 PD, 2FF, 17 tackles with 7 assists......in 5 games is just incredible.....If he can get in the 15 sack, 5 FF range, with 40 tackles, he should be in the front running for DPoY.... 

In 2011, Suggs had 75 tackles, 14 sacks, 7 FF, and two picks. Last year, JJ Watt had 81 tackles, 20.5 sacks, and 4 FF. Mathis is on pace for 77 tackles, 30 sacks, 6 FF. That sacks pace obviously won't keep up -- that would beat the single season sacks record by 7.5 -- but that would make the last two DPoY look like child's play. 

Sacks usually come in bunches. Nine of Suggs 14 sacks in 2011 came in just three games; he had 8 games with zero sacks. Mathis has had a sack in every game this season, and they've been pretty well balanced. An average of one sack/game for the rest of the season would put Mathis at 20.5 for the year. I think that's very doable. 

And Indy cut him today? 

WHY?  He must be a total * in the locker room because this guy has produced every time given an opportunity.

I bet he'll be back...  if he is still available.. 

You know, if I could change the game....it would have been 50-0 :)

Guess what, I would not change anything....one of the most fun games to watch in a very long time....

My hat is still off for Lawrence Guy with the blocked kick....still unsure why Mathews made the team before he did....he goes after it!!!   :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

And Indy cut him today? 

WHY?  He must be a total > in the locker room because this guy has produced every time given an opportunity.

I bet he'll be back...  if he is still available.. 

I hope so JD!  I talked about this in another thread.  Guy plays hard....and obviously makes plays!!!