Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How good can our Secondary be?

BlueCollarColts

Props to Delano Howell for filling in for Landry, he played well, and I can see him as a future starter in case we lose Bethea or Landry. My question is though, we are supposed to get Landry back next week, so how good is our secondary at full strength. Landry looked like our best defensive player overall when he played, Vontae Davis and Greg Toler are a good corner combination, and Darius Butler looks like one of the best nickel corners in the NFL. So how good do you think this unit is at full strength? 

Guest TeamLoloJones

Props to Delano Howell for filling in for Landry, he played well, and I can see him as a future starter in case we lose Bethea or Landry. My question is though, we are supposed to get Landry back next week, so how good is our secondary at full strength. Landry looked like our best defensive player overall when he played, Vontae Davis and Greg Toler are a good corner combination, and Darius Butler looks like one of the best nickel corners in the NFL. So how good do you think this unit is at full strength? 

Well our secondary just outplayed the best secondary in the NFL...Legion of BOOM please...haha more like Legion of "moderately loud noise"

Vontae has played like a top 10 CB all year but im not sold on Toler, still thinks he's more of a slot CB.

I think he's fine as a #2. He's def. not as good as Davis and is a bit of a gambler but I think he's been a good addition.

When healthy, I would argue the secondary is the best and most complete unit on this Colts team.

Davis and Toler both do well in coverage, and Butler has been phenomenal and opprotunistic at nickel back. Bethea is having a great year at safety and is turning in to a fantastic leader. Landry is also great and led the league in tackles before his ankle got rolled, which opened the door for Howell to show the depth we have at safety.

All in all, these guys are likely the backbone on which the Colts defense is built. In a league where everyone passes, but QBs who can beat you by themselves are rare, havimg a secondary like this is a godsend.

may i ask what toler you were watching? cause half the time today he was getting beat, couldn't tackle and although he did make a couple big plays toward the end of the game he has played like nothing but a average CB this whole season. Butler looks better then him when he is on the field. as far as your question goes, i think our secondary could be very very good with landry back. if he stays healthy the rest of the year this defense could carry us deep into the playoffs. 

The secondary was allergic to tackling for most of the game today. Also blew a handful of coverages. Davis gave up the touchdown by leaving his feet. They made big plays at the end, but I'm not really of the opinion that they ought to be praised after this game. They need to play much better than they did today.

The secondary was allergic to tackling for most of the game today. Also blew a handful of coverages. Davis gave up the touchdown by leaving his feet. They made big plays at the end, but I'm not really of the opinion that they ought to be praised after this game. They need to play much better than they did today.

Davis played that ball as well as he could, there are just some passes that just can't be defended. It was perfectly thrown. There were some blown coverages and missed tackles, Landry will help with that when he gets back. After the dumpster fire (save Bethea and Davis late last season) of secondaries we've had the past few seasons, I wouldn't be complaining too much.

Davis played that ball as well as he could, there are just some passes that just can't be defended. It was perfectly thrown. There were some blown coverages and missed tackles, Landry will help with that when he gets back. After the dumpster fire (save Bethea and Davis late last season) of secondaries we've had the past few seasons, I wouldn't be complaining too much.

Davis should have stayed down and played the receiver as he tried to catch the ball. That's definitely a nitpick, but pass defenders aren't supposed to leave their feet in a situation like that. See: Rahim Moore, 2012 playoffs.

To the bolded, I'm not complaining. Our secondary is much better than anything we've had since 2007. Big, physical, aggressive, and can make plays. I just don't think they played a good game today. 

may i ask what toler you were watching? cause half the time today he was getting beat, couldn't tackle and although he did make a couple big plays toward the end of the game he has played like nothing but a average CB this whole season. Butler looks better then him when he is on the field. as far as your question goes, i think our secondary could be very very good with landry back. if he stays healthy the rest of the year this defense could carry us deep into the playoffs. 

Not sure where I said Toler is a pro bowl caliber corner or a stud, all I said was him and Davis are a good corner combination I would say he has played well for a #2 corner so far this year, not lights out, but certainly a pretty good corner. He absolutely blanketed his man vs SF (As did the rest of the secondary) and has looked pretty good so far this season