Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possibly Why The Some Recent Drafts Havent Worked As Well As Expected

bayone

A the slow and steady decline of this organization since Tony Dungy and longtime personnel guru Dom Anile left seems to have occurred

Perhaps Anile's skills as a talent evaluator were just as important, if not more important, than Bill's or his son Chris'.

It was Chris who was reported to have pushed Anile out the backdoor in 2009. The Colts called the firing a 'cost-cutting move,' which is ridiculous when you consider the Colts were estimated to be worth $1 billion in 2010.

Then-Colts writer John Oehser (now a writer at Jaguars.com) said that Anile was instrumental in the Colts draft room from 1998-2006. However, after '06, his role had been diminished while Chris Polian was moving up the ranks.

It was at that point, when Anile's role was reduced in the Colts War Room, that the Colts started busting first and second round draft picks on a regular basis

article is basically Polian Bashing , this was all I really took out of it & wonder about

.http://www.stampedeb...colts#storyjump

Edited by bayone

I doubt this, some ppl are just looking for anything to blame the polians with and although i do blame them for making some horrible decisions... i will not say because the colts let go of some scout thats why their picks have been lacking.. no its not. I would bet Hughes, Brown those two main picks right there would flourish in any other system... Brown is one of the best runner's if not the best on the roster and Hughes is very versatile you could put him at LB or move him around so he can blitz at any end he wants. I think its because the way the colts uses some of their players, especially Olineman

what's wrong with bashing the Polians? They should be feeling pressure after putting together an 1-15 team.

Donald brown

Jerry Hughes

Gonzo

Ugoh

etc...

Package them together and you couldn't even get a 6th round pick

I agree to an extent. He raised some valid points IMO and quite frankly, im sick of all the Polian love from most of the media and many Colts fans. Polian done some great things here, but that don't mean that what the writer said don't have some truth in it. Polian does have an enormous ego and he has made some horrible picks in recent yrs.. Just because he also has made some great picks don't mean that he shouldn't be criticized for a string of bad one's. Im also with him and have said it myself, that I think this team needs a new attitude and that starts from the top down. Every team gets complacent with the same ol' same ol' and sometimes its just a good idea to change the mentality.

The draft is like going to vegas well educated about the games and the odds. Sure you are going to win some but you are going to lose some. What you try to do is that in the end you come out ahead and so far during the Polian tenure the Colts are ahead.

I agree to an extent. He raised some valid points IMO and quite frankly, im sick of all the Polian love from most of the media and many Colts fans. Polian done some great things here, but that don't mean that what the writer said don't have some truth in it. Polian does have an enormous ego and he has made some horrible picks in recent yrs.. Just because he also has made some great picks don't mean that he shouldn't be criticized for a string of bad one's. Im also with him and have said it myself, that I think this team needs a new attitude and that starts from the top down. Every team gets complacent with the same ol' same ol' and sometimes its just a good idea to change the mentality.

One of the best posts I've read. I agree with everything you just said. I do think it is time to clean house so to speak. There has got to be some accountability around here. Bill has done some great things in the past but I so want a change from the top down. Like you said it just seems the team gets stuck in a rut and does not make adjustments on the fly. I would love a whole new mentality and philosophy for the organization and I think the time has come.

I dont think some of you really get what that article was about, and idk where all that "polian love" is coming from cause from my perspective polian has been disrespectful to fans and the media so idk why they would show him any love... second that article from stampede was a bit ridiculous and kinda showed he was reaching a bit... Who really knows how big this Dom fellar really was, from what ive heard who was the one who watched tape after tape trying to choose between peyton and leaf, polian finally came to the decision that peyton was better... this dom fellar was nothing but a scout.

Calling hughes a bust when he isnt even a starter because he has a potential hall of famer infornt of him is just right down ridiculous.... ugoh was a fail maybe if he played guard who knows..... the only "bust" i could think of would be Ugoh, if gonzo was healthy he would be a really good player for the colts thats life, brown has showed signs of being a really good back, the colts just have a poor Oline and have a starter infront of him and imo i never viewed addai as a 1st round pick...

Sooooooo technically the colts dont have ANY busts because UGOH wasnt even a 1st round pick lol hence he cant be considered a bust.

Dom Anile was extremely good at what he did and I'm starting to agree with the notion that his departure has led to the recent lack of some of our draft foresight. This isn't Madden where one guy is sitting around picking the college players he wants. It entails just a tiny bit more than that...

I can imagine Anile would have been against the trade and subsequent pick of Ugoh, and I'm positive he would have told Polian to let Hughes pass.

yeah I dont get why people are calling for blood. This is the most spioled fan base in the NFL. The number of wins over the past decade broke records. Nine straight playoff appearances! I'm sick of it. What crap. This team is amazing. When you continuosly get late round picks year after year, it takes such creativity and intelligence to stay at the top.

Even the Steelers completly miss the playoffs and look who they got to draft... Markice Pouncey, that year they go to the super bowl with a probowl center.

Edited by CanuckColtsFan

I have a hard time putting Ugoh on the bust list. Yes technically he was a bust but imo was due more to unforeseen circumstances than it simply being a bad pick. IIRC, Tarik Glenn had one year left on his contract and the speculation was that the Colts were bringing Ugoh in to learn and groom for a year (like they're currently doing with Ijalana) and then have him take over as starter in his second season, which would have been the first season without Glenn. Then Tarik lost his passion for football and retired earlier than expected so they were forced to put him in as a starter much earlier than they'd planned. They lost the opportunity to groom him which could mean he was not 100% physically ready to take over the role which could have led to injury issues. Yes it's speculation but I think if they knew on draft day that Tarik Glenn wouldn't be back, they might have made a move to move up in round one to take a higher prospect who was more NFL ready and would be able to start from day 1.

Just my take on the Ugoh situation. :)

No success at all in the draft department? None what so ever, since '06? lol

We've had certain players come out and show talent, but for the most part, a lot of our draft picks are backups or gone. Someone made a topic on this board showing the fates of all our draft picks since '06. I actually commend the Colts for getting the little success they have with the draft picks since we have been getting high draft picks for almost the last decade and have stayed competitive. But for the most part, since '06, we have had little success. I would rate us around a C.

We've had certain players come out and show talent, but for the most part, a lot of our draft picks are backups or gone. Someone made a topic on this board showing the fates of all our draft picks since '06. I actually commend the Colts for getting the little success they have with the draft picks since we have been getting high draft picks for almost the last decade and have stayed competitive. But for the most part, since '06, we have had little success. I would rate us around a C.

Ok I agree with this more than the blanket statement that we've had no success since '06. :) However, one thing to keep in mind is that from '06-'08 we were still drafting Dungy type players. The ridiculously undersized players that he brought in are largely the ones that are now gone. They've made a noticeable attempt to draft bigger, stronger players from '09 on and these players are ones we've had better success with imo. So I don't blame that as much on losing one of the draft scouts as I do on Dungy's ridiculously small but fast philosophy.

the picks of collie and garcon even out some of the other horrible picks. polian has a niche of getting late round talent, which has paid off nicely for us in previous seasons.

powers and angerer were pretty good value picks as well.

Edited by jesusislord

I'm not calling for blood, I just think they should be in the "Warm" seat at least.

What Pro-bowlers have we drafted since after 07? who is even close? angerer maybe 2nd team

Collie and Garcon were good picks late, but every team has good late picks and non-drafted guys. ex. Miles Austin. james harrison, every team has one!

We are in big trouble in future seasons if we dont' start drafting well. I think this year's draft hopefully starts a winning trend again.

If collie, garcon, powers are the only good picks we have had since 06, then we are in big trouble. especially if they are dumb enough to draft luck.

Thats why they are on the "warm" seat.

I believe most "fans" think Polian is a HOF, that is what the media stamp has put on him. Now for the fans that actually follow the team, such as most on here, know what a jerk BP is. I think there is a big difference between the two.

The thing is, the fact that he comes across as a jerk to many has no bearing what-so-ever on his ability to do his job. He IS a future Hall of Famer as assuredly as Peyton is. Hands down. He passed that barrier a very long time ago.

Some fans are louder than others. That doesn't mean that they are in the majority, and it certainly doesn't mean that they are correct.

This is basically what I have been saying for a while. Since Chris Polian has become prominent in the front office, drafting has gone down hill. It's interesting that Chris pushed someone with a voice out to assert his own voice, but it's pretty easy to see that he is responsible for the mistakes as Bill continues to step back.

I'm not calling for blood, I just think they should be in the "Warm" seat at least.

What Pro-bowlers have we drafted since after 07? who is even close? angerer maybe 2nd team

Collie and Garcon were good picks late, but every team has good late picks and non-drafted guys. ex. Miles Austin. james harrison, every team has one!

We are in big trouble in future seasons if we dont' start drafting well. I think this year's draft hopefully starts a winning trend again.

If collie, garcon, powers are the only good picks we have had since 06, then we are in big trouble. especially if they are dumb enough to draft luck.

Thats why they are on the "warm" seat.

I think when it comes down to it if fans wanna blame anyone for this concoction lol they would have to blame peyton for being so good because he is so good he commands most of the colts salary, most of the colts highest paid players were on offense hence making them a very unbalanced team... now if the colts had money to bring in big name players they would and i really think they would but they couldnt.... That is why the colts get their players on defense from FA or very low end draft picks because they wont demand a high end salary.

Now the guy that demanded (not saying that he did literally, but figuretavly he did because he was the star on offense) the money is gone the colts are left with who is just getting his feet under him and a defense that is poor when it comes to true talent because they dont really have alot of quality players.