Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Derrick Mason To The Texans

21isSuperman

Yeah that's certainly READING into it...the thought that the injury to AJ is worse than originally reported never crossed my mind..but I certainly can say a move like this would certainly send those signals to readers like us.

Though it goes to show you that other franchises in our division are willing to make moves to improve their teams. Hats off to the Texans for being so bold this off season and even today for that fact.

Yeah that's certainly READING into it...the thought that the injury to AJ is worse than originally reported never crossed my mind..but I certainly can say a move like this would certainly send those signals to readers like us.

Though it goes to show you that other franchises in our division are willing to make moves to improve their teams. Hats off to the Texans for being so bold this off season and even today for that fact.

Are you implying that the Colts are negligent for not making similar moves?

Derrick Mason is THIRTY-SEVEN years old. If the Colts did something like that I would be bitterly disappointed. What it says to me is that the Texans think that they have a unique opportunity to win this year in Peyton's absence, and they aren't going to let a little thing like "the future" stand in their way. They are probably more confident that the Colts will "be back" next year than Colts fans are.

I'm not saying that I'd be totally against a trade. Perhaps a 5th round pick for a CB or DT in their prime who is perfect for our system wouldn't be bad right now - but what are odds of that deal being available. Any higher a pick would be too valuable to give up even in that scenario.

i'm guessing a 6th or 7th rounder for mason.

he was benched in the 1st half against the pats this past weekend. i think he was in rex's doghouse for complaining about the offensive playcalling.

would have been nice if rex would have traded him to a losing team, i hate mason.

Are you implying that the Colts are negligent for not making similar moves?

Derrick Mason is THIRTY-SEVEN years old. If the Colts did something like that I would be bitterly disappointed. What it says to me is that the Texans think that they have a unique opportunity to win this year in Peyton's absence, and they aren't going to let a little thing like "the future" stand in their way. They are probably more confident that the Colts will "be back" next year than Colts fans are.

I'm not saying that I'd be totally against a trade. Perhaps a 5th round pick for a CB or DT in their prime who is perfect for our system wouldn't be bad right now - but what are odds of that deal being available. Any higher a pick would be too valuable to give up even in that scenario.

The Colts have ALWAYS been negligent in making moves...I am not stating SIMILAR moves or not...just the fact is the Colts theory says they can win via draft and extremely minimal FA/TRADE moves. The Colts would have had several superbowls in Mannings time already had they been more aggressive in free agency and off season moves (especially in coaching and personnel). The fact is they put too much stock in too few players. Our depth at most all positions over the years has been an issue and they've been negligent in fixing it. Bob Sanders is a perfect example..they've made no attempts to replace him (Melivin Bullitt is not an acceptable replacement).

I just said hats off to the Texans for being willing to make risky moves to win..it doesn't always pay off but I'll guarantee you Mason will be far more productive in Houston than in New York...Schaub is a far better QB than Sanchez and they have a far better chance of winning with Mason on the field than they did before (Houston). Yes it takes time to learn the teams system but Mason is still a great asset even at his age. The Texans will have 11 weeks to train Mason for when it really counts and that's in the playoffs for when they win the division and secure a playoff spot.

he was benched in the 1st half against the pats this past weekend. i think he was in rex's doghouse for complaining about the offensive playcalling.

This. Mason was (allegedly) deeply involved with all of the complaining and griping about the system as well as their OC. So the Jets made a smart move by getting something for him (I'm pretty sure it was just a 7th) rather than just cutting him loose.

The Colts have ALWAYS been negligent in making moves...I am not stating SIMILAR moves or not...just the fact is the Colts theory says they can win via draft and extremely minimal FA/TRADE moves. The Colts would have had several superbowls in Mannings time already had they been more aggressive in free agency and off season moves (especially in coaching and personnel). The fact is they put too much stock in too few players. Our depth at most all positions over the years has been an issue and they've been negligent in fixing it. Bob Sanders is a perfect example..they've made no attempts to replace him (Melivin Bullitt is not an acceptable replacement).

(+1) I agree. Hope the Colts deviate from their norm and use free agency to target an impact SS this next off season. After parting ways with Bobzilla, the team desperately needs a new enforcer in the backfield. Bethea is an excellent FS, but neither he nor Bullitt scares anyone. Bullitt might not even last another year with his recurring shoulder injuries, and so far David Caldwell and Joe Lefeged have not stepped up. Even if the team drafts a top safety prospect like Ray Ray Armstrong or Mark Barron, a rookie safety may need a year or two to develop into a starter. Among FA safeties, the player I covet most is Laron Landry from the Redskins. In a recent Sports Illustrated survey, NFL players rate him the 9th meanest player in the league at any position, and they should know.

prove it. Only problem is the Redskins drafted him 6th overall in 2007, and his rookie contract averaged $8M+ per year. Even if the Colts cut Bullitt, do they have enough cap space to afford such a high-priced terminator?