Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Excellent writeup on Seahawks Defense.....take notes Pep!

lollygagger8

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/1/4787546/the-seahawks-and-multiple-defensive-fronts

With LEO linebackers and weakside defensive ends, Seattle's versatile front seven keeps opponents guessing. Ben Muth takes a closer look at how they do it.

"We want to be multiple." - Every defensive coordinator ever

If you have read a local newspaper story about a newly hired defensive coordinator in the past three years, that quote has been hammered home again and again. Maybe he used "versatile," maybe he said they wanted to run a hybrid scheme, but the intent is always there. Defenses want to be multiple. That means using different personnel packages, fronts and coverage looks to confuse offenses and generate favorable matchups. Essentially every team wants to be able to do what the Seahawks can do, and what they did do to stop the 49ers.

The best place to start with the Seattle defense is its base defensive alignment. It’s essentially a 4-3 under. That means the defensive front four is shaded on the offense’s weak side and the Sam linebacker is walked up on the line of scrimmage. It’s a classic front that every team has in its playbook somewhere. Seattle lined up in this base alignment, the very first play of the season.

Man that Walden Gif drives me nuts lol.

Edited by 21isSuperman
Please do not copy/paste entire articles

Teams were leaving Link uncovered, and pretty much anytime Link has to move to make a play it just isn`t so good for us.

Thanks for this, it is a nice lesson on why lineman are put where they are.
 As I have reviewed each of our plays in slo-mo I have witnessed many plays where our O-Lineman are asked to move such a distance that they just couldn`t get to the spot in time. It makes them look bad for sure and obviously kills the play. JMO

Some talent issues for sure, lack of experience together too, blocking schemes?

The TEAM is getting there so patience right? Go Colts!

Thanks for helping me find a way to blow off work for another hour. That's some good work right there.

I think the Seahawks will use their more typical Under fronts against us, seeing as how we're working at being a more straightforward running team, and we're not really a threat for any option plays. And if we counter that with our big personnel, we can run at their hybrid end/backer, whoever that may be. We run play action very well out of our big sets, so if they counter with a more traditional end and sacrifice some pass rush, that will be a plus for us. They scheme very well, but I think we can handle their front if we play well.

I'm more concerned about their secondary, to be honest. Our receivers haven't been getting a lot of separation this year, and Luck hasn't been slicing and dicing. Some of his throws have been way off. Gonna have to be really sharp in the passing game to avoid turnovers and maximize opportunities.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/1/4787546/the-seahawks-and-multiple-defensive-fronts

With LEO linebackers and weakside defensive ends, Seattle's versatile front seven keeps opponents guessing. Ben Muth takes a closer look at how they do it.

Mod edited for quote length......(Please refer to OPost if needed)

Man that Walden Gif drives me nuts lol.

Had to show Kap running by walden huh lol. anyone else we can play instead of walden this weekend? lol. Walden could not even set the edge sunday against Jax and got beat a couple times. 

They were both tight games, and Seattle was all but BEAT in both...     

BUT,   THEY WON.    They are dangerous.   I truly think Indy will beat them but Indy has got to play good football.   

Seattle feasts on TO's..       Take care of the ball and keep R Wilson in the pocket and all will be well.

but that is easier said than done.      ^

Another note - their two road wins were by a total of 8 points.  Not exactly dominating the opponents there.

It was a simple point that you chose not to comment on! 

Offenseively PC got it, i hope that helps.

And of course you expressed your opinion based on the final score.

Sorry, I really have no idea what you're saying.  I didn't express any opinion, I stated a fact.

I was going to start a thread on this, but it seems fitting to place in this tread. Here's a great article by Mike Tanier on the Colts run game, and pass game to a lesser extent. It is similarly technical as this one on the Hawks D. It will be interesting to see how they play us on D and we play them on O. I love Pep's traps and pulls. I'm still not completely sold on the jumbo sets...just seems to produce a cloud of dust most of the time.

http://miketanier.sportsonearthblog.com/how-the-colts-can-beat-the-seahawks/

Sorry, I really have no idea what you're saying.  I didn't express any opinion, I stated a fact.

In the NFL teams dominate and lose all the time.

It was your opinion that because they had won two games by a total of 8 points they hadn`t been very dominate.

Of course my initial response was just about teams needing to win on the road by Any point margin to prove themselves.

An issue for Seattle I had heard.

So take this however you want to. :thmup:

I always notice Seattle likes to roll out Wilson or create throwing lanes by kicking out or pushing the rush (letting them win) a certain way to open up windows for his throws. I always thought if you could just get a push without forcing him to scramble and get your hands up you could make it very difficult to make a lot of his throws. It will all start with stopping the run but if we can play like Houston did for basically 3 quarters and limit our turnovers...we can play with these guys. Seattle isn't the same team on the road and having them travel to Indy we need to get off to a fast start. Luck has to play brilliant...no lapses like early against Jax. He has to play like he did against SF.

In the NFL teams dominate and lose all the time.

It was your opinion that because they had won two games by a total of 8 points they hadn`t been very dominate.

Of course my initial response was just about teams needing to win on the road by Any point margin to prove themselves.

An issue for Seattle I had heard.

So take this however you want to. :thmup:

Gotcha.  I really didn't understand what you were getting at.  But I still contend it wasn't an opinion.  They had to come from behind in both road wins in the 4th Q.  I don't think it's opinion that they weren't dominant in those games.  In my book, I was stating facts.

But at least I understand what you meant now!

Thanks for helping me find a way to blow off work for another hour. That's some good work right there.

I think the Seahawks will use their more typical Under fronts against us, seeing as how we're working at being a more straightforward running team, and we're not really a threat for any option plays. And if we counter that with our big personnel, we can run at their hybrid end/backer, whoever that may be. We run play action very well out of our big sets, so if they counter with a more traditional end and sacrifice some pass rush, that will be a plus for us. They scheme very well, but I think we can handle their front if we play well.

I'm more concerned about their secondary, to be honest. Our receivers haven't been getting a lot of separation this year, and Luck hasn't been slicing and dicing. Some of his throws have been way off. Gonna have to be really sharp in the passing game to avoid turnovers and maximize opportunities.

I believe we could throw them off their game with a direct snap to the RB and hitting the weak side against the 4-3 under. We run away from the Mike and the Sam and have Castonzo blocking the LEO. I like our chances of breaking something big.

Who really 'dominates' on the road anymore?

Again, I really wasn't making this my opinion. Those are the facts. They barely won their two road games. They did not dominate in those two games.

I never said they're not a great team, or that this will apply to our game.

I'm not sure why this is up for debate?

Rick Venturi on the Jags game and previews the Seahawks.

http://www.1070thefan.com/podcast/Episodes.aspx?PID=2155

I really like listening to RV he really breaks it down....

Great stuff JD! Lane containment on Wilson & watch the bootlegs outside...Check. Don't let Wilson run. Force him to stay in the pocket & collapse the pocket from the inside out. Also, put your hands up & disrupt his vision & throwing lanes. Every game Wilson lost @ UW-Madison was due to pocket containment & no bootleg plays. It's his comfort zone: Movement & throwing on the fly. 

I don't know, Thurmond is a pretty solid CB. The entire Seahawks secondary is something serious

True. And we have to protect Luck to give him time to deliver the ball.

Seattle's front seven is solid and very impressive.

Just hope we can protect Andrew long enough to give him time to get the ball down the field.

TRich and Donald Brown are going to have to run the ball well to give us any chance.

They were both tight games, and Seattle was all but BEAT in both...     

BUT,   THEY WON.    They are dangerous.   I truly think Indy will beat them but Indy has got to play good football.   

Seattle feasts on TO's..       Take care of the ball and keep R Wilson in the pocket and all will be well.

but that is easier said than done.      ^

There seems to be a perception that Seattle was losing the Carolina game when D Williams fumbled in the Red Zone - Seattle was up 12-7 at that time and there was 5:25 left on the clock when he fumbled.  Had Carolina scored, there would have likely been around 4 minutes remaining for Seattle to drive the length of the field and score.  After the fumble, Seattle simply ran out the clock for the remaining 5 minutes.

You are right about the Texans game though - tight game, but even in that one, if Sherman hadn't intercepted the pass, they still would have gotten the ball back with 2:30-ish on the clock to drive the field. (The Schaub to Sherman pick-6 was on 3rd and 4).