Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What happened to "the no-coast" ?

YOUR GM

First, I'd like to say, at the end of the day, the offense is efficient and we're winning so can't really complain. ..I was just curious to know where all these various concepts and formations that were promised in preseason are? We look like your typical power run team from the 80's so far. Will Pep open it up more as the players get more comfortable with the system or was all that big talk in preseason just a bunch of coach speak? We're a very predictable offense right now. Hopefully he's intentionally running things that way so he can set up defenses and buck the trend for a few explosive plays later on in the season

I don't disagree with you, but I will say that 'predictable' isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Our offense was predictable in the Manning years, but still very hard to stop.  It was like - sure, you know what we're going to do, go ahead try to stop us.

I'm also not complaining about the Pep offense, but there are times when I'm ... confused... at some of the play calls.  I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I know more than the coaches.  They game plan to take advantage of any mismatch they can get.

But sometimes is seems they're not in the most advantageous formations for the specific down.  I do have confidence that Pep will get better as the season goes on.

Rookie coach, rookie player's in the system (aside from Andrew Luck & Coby Fleener) things will seem "basic" for now. Give it until around week 10 or maybe even after the bye week. You'll see the playbook open wide

I sure hope so. We haven't seen much of Hilton, or DHB being passed to deep. 

I have already noted that the offense seemed predictable....kind of like yours last year Mr. Arians  :lol: !!!

Maybe I am reading to much into the 'predictability,' but this offense was supposed to be TE heavy with a double dose of Fleener and Allen.  Let us make no mistake here!!  Allen is a HUGE loss which put a big dent in the Colts plans.

Throw in a Bradshaw injury and T-Rich learning the playbook and the offense becomes even more predictable.

Looking for more of TY underneath setting up deep routes...more Fleener...backs...less predictability as we get healthier and learn the system (Richardson) :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet: !!!!!

I don't disagree with you, but I will say that 'predictable' isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Our offense was predictable in the Manning years, but still very hard to stop.  It was like - sure, you know what we're going to do, go ahead try to stop us.

I'm also not complaining about the Pep offense, but there are times when I'm ... confused... at some of the play calls.  I'm not arrogant enough to believe that I know more than the coaches.  They game plan to take advantage of any mismatch they can get.

But sometimes is seems they're not in the most advantageous formations for the specific down.  I do have confidence that Pep will get better as the season goes on.

Like three straight passes when we are on the 2 yard line.

I watch this offense and find I'm * when they run, * when they pass, * at formations in situations; god help me get over this! I think the whole offensive offensive philosophy and I do not mesh. Which doesn't make me right or Pep wrong, just totally frustrated by the whole thing.

Rookie coach, rookie player's in the system (aside from Andrew Luck & Coby Fleener) things will seem "basic" for now. Give it until around week 10 or maybe even after the bye week. You'll see the playbook open wide

It's week 5, if we're not seeing it by now, there's not going to be anything new by week 10 save for those handful of plays you run once or twice a season. At this point, what you see is what you get. 

As to the OP, I'm not sure what you are talking about specifically.  All I remember hearing was how we wanted to be a power running team and go with a balanced attack.  That's a promise delivered as far as I can see.  I'm just curious if there's something else your asking about.

Like three straight passes when we are on the 2 yard line.

Yep, that was what I was thinking too. Just after a game we punched the 49ers in the mouth, we run that. Sometimes, we need to feel secure in our identity and if it is a running team, going for a 4th & 1 at the opponent's 30 yard line with the run and punched it in from the 2 yard line should all be part of it.

It will be night and day playing the Jags and then playing the Seahawks but I feel we are up for it if we execute. I really wish Dwayne Allen would have been around for this game since the Seahawks' coverage in the middle can be exploited with 2 TE looks setting up play action and running plays. Need to run some skinny post routes for T.Y, IMO, to take shots down the middle.

It's week 5, if we're not seeing it by now, there's not going to be anything new by week 10 save for those handful of plays you run once or twice a season. At this point, what you see is what you get.

As to the OP, I'm not sure what you are talking about specifically. All I remember hearing was how we wanted to be a power running team and go with a balanced attack. That's a promise delivered as far as I can see. I'm just curious if there's something else your asking about.

The op is referring to Pep Hamilton saying we'll see a nocoast offense. MicuMixture of Pep, Peyton Era, & Bruce Arians era

The offense can do whatever they want as long as our defense don't let opposing teams outscore us. We can score however many points but if the D can't hold up then it doesn't matter.  I would take any type of offense as long as our defense can stop their offense.  Just my two cents.

The op is referring to Pep Hamilton saying we'll see a nocoast offense. MicuMixture of Pep, Peyton Era, & Bruce Arians era

Ahh, yeah I'm not seeing that then either.  I feel like we seldom go downfield anymore.  And like BA, we're winning so I'm not complaining.  I think we are good enough to go downfield more and perhaps we are expecting bombs as opposed to targets 15 yards down field.  Or maybe its' because we haven't had a QB in an offense who didn't go downfield like once or twice every series, so no one is used to this style of offense, it's a change, and we don't like change.  I dunno.   

In truth, while we are throwing deeper passes at a smaller rate, I don't think it's as exaggerated as some make it out to be, including myself.  I took a look at AdvancedNFLStats.com.  Luck is throwing to a WR that's at least 15 yards down field 24% of the time.  That puts him at 12th.  Last year, according to the same website, it was 26.3%. 

I will say, that he isn't going downfield as often, as far as length of pass.  For instance, last year he had 20 pass attempts out of his total 637 targeting a WR in between 31-40 yards up the field, or .031%.  This year so far, he has 3 out of 128, or .023%.  I mean, take it for what it's worth.  We're going downfield about as often, just not as far. 

Ahh, yeah I'm not seeing that then either. I feel like we seldom go downfield anymore. And like BA, we're winning so I'm not complaining. I think we are good enough to go downfield more and perhaps we are expecting bombs as opposed to targets 15 yards down field. Or maybe its' because we haven't had a QB in an offense who didn't go downfield like once or twice every series, so no one is used to this style of offense, it's a change, and we don't like change. I dunno.

In truth, while we are throwing deeper passes at a smaller rate, I don't think it's as exaggerated as some make it out to be, including myself. I took a look at AdvancedNFLStats.com. Luck is throwing to a WR that's at least 15 yards down field 24% of the time. That puts him at 12th. Last year, according to the same website, it was 26.3%.

I will say, that he isn't going downfield as often, as far as length of pass. For instance, last year he had 20 pass attempts out of his total 637 targeting a WR in between 31-40 yards up the field, or .031%. This year so far, he has 3 out of 128, or .023%. I mean, take it for what it's worth. We're going downfield about as often, just not as far.

I personally could care less as long as we win. And the speed we have on this team, a 5 yard slant could easily turn into a 25 yard gain. Or like the pass Reggie Wayne had in the 49ers game. A simple short pass; turned big gain with multiple broken tackles due to Reggie Wayne's talent.

That was a beautiful play btw. The old man's still got it haha

I personally could care less as long as we win. And the speed we have on this team, a 5 yard slant could easily turn into a 25 yard gain. Or like the pass Reggie Wayne had in the 49ers game. A simple short pass; turned big gain with multiple broken tackles due to Reggie Wayne's talent.

That was a beautiful play btw. The old man's still got it haha

I'm convinced that he's half man half machine.  Between him and Mathis, those guys just don't seem to age.  Putting up numbers as if they were still 27 years old.

The offense can do whatever they want as long as our defense don't let opposing teams outscore us. We can score however many points but if the D can't hold up then it doesn't matter.  I would take any type of offense as long as our defense can stop their offense.  Just my two cents.

these last couple weeks, id say our defense had found its stride. 

We are completing a higher yards per catch at this point now (7.3) then we did last year (7.0)...Ill take it.......I do wish we would try to find mismatches more though, Linebackers on wr's, although Fleener and Havili and even Brown have been out wide a few times this year, Luck just has not thrown there way much

He also said he was pulling stuff from a number of teams playbooks, like the Saints and Packers. Also made a brief mention of possibly running some Pistol formation and Wildcat plays. None of which has surfaced yet