Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st quarter awards, La Confora gives MVP to Wilson Over Peyton

bayone

2013 First Quarter NFL Awards

Expert       MVP                   OPOY                     DPOY          Coach                 Rookie       

Bust

Brinson 12531.jpgManning 12531.jpgManning 1631198.jpgWatt DuLKIbb.jpgReid 1752635.jpgLotulelei  

suprise team  --- Browns  

Bust ----Steelers

MVP for me was a cakewalk. No one's done over the past four weeks what Peyton Manning has done so far. He's on pace for the best season of his career (which is really saying something), he hasn't thrown an interception yet (and he has 16 touchdowns) and the Broncos are destroying everything in their path. I get why JLC did what he did -- Russell Wilson has the Seahawks undefeated and was his preseason pick. I was tempted to go with Tom Brady (my preseason pick).

Manning's effort and numbers are just too much. That's precisely why he landed as the selection for both of our Offensive Player of the Year. There's no two ways about this pick. It's Manning, a gigantic gap and then everyone else right now.

La Canfora 1272242.jpg Wilson
 -----------                             12531.jpgManning 1620558.jpgHouston DuLKIbb.jpgReid 1860858.jpgRichardson  

Suprise team ----Titans  
Bust -----   Wallace

STORY / Explanation article & video

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23953382/cbssportscom-2013-quarter-pole-nfl-awards-peyton-party

If you go purely by stats then yea Manning is the clear cut MVP, but the whole idea of an MVP (Most Valuable Player) is someone who is the most important person to their team.  The Broncos are a top notch team loaded with talent in all 3 phases of the game.  If Manning went down, they would still win a whole lot of games.  Granted, they wouldn't be averaging 44 pts a game, but they would be winning them, as they proved 2 years ago when Tim Tebow got them to the playoffs and even won a playoff game with that team.  

That team is even more talented now 2 years later.  So yea, there is no doubt that Manning is playing out of his mind right now, but there are other players across the league that are playing on less loaded teams that are more "valuable" to their respective teams than Manning is to the Broncos right now.

I'd vote for Manning for MVP right now, but there are a lot of people who could make the case.. including Tom Brady who has managed to produce with a cast of rookies while hes waiting for the return of his top weapons in Vereen, Amendola and Gronk.  Their running game has not bee productive or consistent, so its been all on Brady trying to make things happen with green horn WRs, no running game and no tight ends.  Stats don't make you the most valuable player.  You think if Manning was the QB of the Patriots that he would be putting up 44 pts a game with 3 rookie WRs, and a cast of no names at tight end?  

LeSean McCoy is having an outstanding year and is on pace for nearly 2000 yards rushing right now.  Hes been killing teams and is a huge reason for the Eagles success thus far.

Drew Brees just went 30 of 39 passing for over 400 yards and 4 TDs with no interceptions against Miami who was undefeated and has a solid D.  That offense over there in New Orleans is high powered and legit, and they're now at 4-0.

Lots of great players in this league, and yea Manning is being Manning with an AMAZINGLY talented group of players around him.  It is not all on Manning, but obviously he is the captain steering the ship and playing great football.  

My vote would be for Manning right now, but the case can be made for quite a few other players.  Personally I think that Brady played better in 2010 than he did in 2007, but his stats weren't as padded.  Last year they were an awesome offense and he played out of his mind all year, but because he ran a balanced attack they managed to score a lot of touchdowns with the running game, so that lowered Brady's TD total.. then people start comparing Qbs and are like "Well QB X had 8 more TDs than QB Y, and a better passer rating, so hes the better player!"

2007 taught me a whole lot.  Everyone else in the league can focus on collecting their trophies and awards and records and blah blah blah blah.. but at the end of the season, when teams go into the playoffs, those records, stats and awards don't mean jack.  They don't add on extra points to your score in a playoff game because you broke the TD record, or because you went undefeated in the regular season.  You have to have it all come together at the right time when the games start to really matter, and typically the more balanced teams will be the ones that find ways to win games in January.

If you aren't holding up a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season, you're nothing.

There are always contrarian types in the media. Manning may not get a unanimous vote for MVP this season because of reasons already mentioned (mainly that his offense is loaded), but unless his production nose-dives (extremely unlikely), he for all intents and purposes has it locked up already. Deservedly so, he's had a monster year and we're only a quarter into it. 

Same thing happened in 2007... one writer voted for Favre, basically justifying it by saying that Brady had all kinds of weapons at his disposal while Favre had to carry the Packers on his back. 

If you go purely by stats then yea Manning is the clear cut MVP, but the whole idea of an MVP (Most Valuable Player) is someone who is the most important person to their team.  The Broncos are a top notch team loaded with talent in all 3 phases of the game.  If Manning went down, they would still win a whole lot of games.  Granted, they wouldn't be averaging 44 pts a game, but they would be winning them, as they proved 2 years ago when Tim Tebow got them to the playoffs and even won a playoff game with that team.  

That team is even more talented now 2 years later.  So yea, there is no doubt that Manning is playing out of his mind right now, but there are other players across the league that are playing on less loaded teams that are more "valuable" to their respective teams than Manning is to the Broncos right now.

I'd vote for Manning for MVP right now, but there are a lot of people who could make the case.. including Tom Brady who has managed to produce with a cast of rookies while hes waiting for the return of his top weapons in Vereen, Amendola and Gronk.  Their running game has not bee productive or consistent, so its been all on Brady trying to make things happen with green horn WRs, no running game and no tight ends.  Stats don't make you the most valuable player.  You think if Manning was the QB of the Patriots that he would be putting up 44 pts a game with 3 rookie WRs, and a cast of no names at tight end?  

LeSean McCoy is having an outstanding year and is on pace for nearly 2000 yards rushing right now.  Hes been killing teams and is a huge reason for the Eagles success thus far.

Drew Brees just went 30 of 39 passing for over 400 yards and 4 TDs with no interceptions against Miami who was undefeated and has a solid D.  That offense over there in New Orleans is high powered and legit, and they're now at 4-0.

Lots of great players in this league, and yea Manning is being Manning with an AMAZINGLY talented group of players around him.  It is not all on Manning, but obviously he is the captain steering the ship and playing great football.  

My vote would be for Manning right now, but the case can be made for quite a few other players.  Personally I think that Brady played better in 2010 than he did in 2007, but his stats weren't as padded.  Last year they were an awesome offense and he played out of his mind all year, but because he ran a balanced attack they managed to score a lot of touchdowns with the running game, so that lowered Brady's TD total.. then people start comparing Qbs and are like "Well QB X had 8 more TDs than QB Y, and a better passer rating, so hes the better player!"

2007 taught me a whole lot.  Everyone else in the league can focus on collecting their trophies and awards and records and blah blah blah blah.. but at the end of the season, when teams go into the playoffs, those records, stats and awards don't mean jack.  They don't add on extra points to your score in a playoff game because you broke the TD record, or because you went undefeated in the regular season.  You have to have it all come together at the right time when the games start to really matter, and typically the more balanced teams will be the ones that find ways to win games in January.

If you aren't holding up a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season, you're nothing.

I will agree that Brady has less weapons and pulled out some games, esp 1st 2 were but were  against rookie QBs and though losing at times he did come through on last drive to beat in game 1 if not 2 , Brady was Brady last game , so hes back , but they do have a much better run game than broncos, broncos better at Special teams, BB is also a factor  Defense for Broncos will improve with Von but cant pressure QBs , Bailey no idea if returns and at what level as always will have foot pain he says at lis franc 

On same note Peyton or when had Garcon , blair white project and Collie as rookie also just did great and case can be made every year as a Colt he was MVP by definition, not saying was just case could be made

Also agree Brees doing great but give credit also to Sean Payton play calling and Ryans turnaround of the D 

I outlined in another thread detailed articles with links and not looking now due to time its not the weapons but the way Peyton manipulates at line his personal to ID   blitz packages and move around players and pick specific and force specific Defensive  alignment to change to his favor once at the line that allows him to use his weapons

Thats also only thing that allows  run game ^& to force correct man to man packages

we all have i opinions, , I respect yours, it valid , just lived with alot of that with Peyton, many So Called Experts saying u could make a case for Peyton every year

Great points all around. I look at Manning as being the offensive player of the year because no one is close to him right now. MVP is different for the reasons you listed. I am not sure I can put Wilson there right now as his team is as talented as Manning's defensively and they pretty much won the game vs. the Texans along with Matt Schaub. lol.

Long way to go but if Manning keeps hitting his stride he will be a lock. Something that may make the race interesting is if Brady wins more games then Manning and beats the Broncos h-to-h. We'll see but I think voters would weight that heavily given Brady's cast vs. Mannings but I am pretty sure Denver will win a ton this year but I think that Pats may too.

There are always contrarian types in the media. Manning may not get a unanimous vote for MVP this season because of reasons already mentioned (mainly that his offense is loaded), but unless his production nose-dives (extremely unlikely), he for all intents and purposes has it locked up already. Deservedly so, he's had a monster year and we're only a quarter into it. 

Same thing happened in 2007... one writer voted for Favre, basically justifying it by saying that Brady had all kinds of weapons at his disposal while Favre had to carry the Packers on his back. 

cant believe virtually all day says no more likes, I ran out, must have done alot late yestyerday

Great points all around. I look at Manning as being the offensive player of the year because no one is close to him right now. MVP is different for the reasons you listed. I am not sure I can put Wilson there right now as his team is as talented as Manning's defensively and they pretty much won the game vs. the Texans along with Matt Schaub. lol.

Long way to go but if Manning keeps hitting his stride he will be a lock. Something that may make the race interesting is if Brady wins more games then Manning and beats the Broncos h-to-h. We'll see but I think voters would weight that heavily given Brady's cast vs. Mannings but I am pretty sure Denver will win a ton this year but I think that Pats may too.

moving around Chandler Jones to exploit LT Clark will be interesting 

One thing to add:

I wish the MVP considered postseason as well as regular season. It seems weird to me that you would give out the highest individual award before the most important games are played. In some cases candidates would not be playing at that point, but that would not really work against them. I can't remember the last time an MVP wasn't from a playoff team though. But any guy should be able to strengthen and/or weaken his own case in the postseason.

IMO, the perfect time to tally up the votes and announce it would be the two week break between the conference finals and the SB. 

moving around Chandler Jones to exploit LT Clark will be interesting 

Jones is going to miss Wilfork more than anyone. The way Vince eats up blockers can't be replicated, unless the NFL allows the Patriots to claim Ngata off non-existent waivers! 

So they're going to have to be very creative with scheming, and I think you'll see some unsung guys make some noise. One name to watch is Michael Buchanan, a 7th round pick who has some nice pass-rushing chops. 

Jones is going to miss Wilfork more than anyone. The way Vince eats up blockers can't be replicated, unless the NFL allows the Patriots to claim Ngata off non-existent waivers! 

So they're going to have to be very creative with scheming, and I think you'll see some unsung guys make some noise. One name to watch is Michael Buchanan, a 7th round pick who has some nice pass-rushing chops. 

wilfork is no doubt great and by many under appreciated, he will be missed, i read somewhere as a result may see more 4-3 Defensive alignments

One thing to add:

I wish the MVP considered postseason as well as regular season. It seems weird to me that you would give out the highest individual award before the most important games are played. In some cases candidates would not be playing at that point, but that would not really work against them. I can't remember the last time an MVP wasn't from a playoff team though. But any guy should be able to strengthen and/or weaken his own case in the postseason.

IMO, the perfect time to tally up the votes and announce it would be the two week break between the conference finals and the SB. 

I can understand that viewpoint, guess started so long ago with shorter postseason before even was a superbowl, so continued and now are superbowl awards so its like 2 seasons in one

wilfork is no doubt great and by many under appreciated, he will be missed, i read somewhere as a result may see more 4-3 Defensive alignments

They'll HAVE to. They didn't have a lot of depth behind Vince to begin with, and unless some guy really steps up they'll have to "replace" him with schemes, stunts, and solid play from the LB crew on the run. 

They'll HAVE to. They didn't have a lot of depth behind Vince to begin with, and unless some guy really steps up they'll have to "replace" him with schemes, stunts, and solid play from the LB crew on the run. 

this  is where BB & DC will come into play , put right people in right spot and call right suprises, still though players have to execute

thats it , must take off, take care

this  is where BB & DC will come into play , put right people in right spot and call right suprises, still though players have to execute

thats it , must take off, take care

Precisely my friend, precisely! Belichick for the most part does a good job of finding out what Manning is doing and trying to limit it. There's a reason why #18 is, what, 7-11 career vs New England? 

Best to you as always! 

Absolutely no question it has to be Manning right now, just like it had to be Brady in 07.  Anyone who says otherwise is just stirring the pot and begging for attention.

About 50% of this Colts board thought Manning should get the MVP in 2007 over Brady.  About 50% of this board or more thinks that Manning should get the MVP every single year.

Like another poster said above, I think that Manning is the "Best Player" in the NFL this year, but I don't think that he is the "Most Valuable" because the Broncos could still make the playoffs without him.  No one can debate this either, they made it to the playoffs and WON a playoff game with Tim Tebow as their QB.  Tebow couldn't even start for the Jets last year, they played 3 other QBs before him, and now he isnt even in the league and that Broncos team won in spite of him because of the sheer talent on it.  It is even more talented now offensively and defensively when Von Miller and Champ Bailey return they'll be even better.

The ole Most Valuable Debate......who means more to who....never gonna be a right answer.

As it stands now, it will take a pretty monster season from 2 people to beat out Manning. Brees and Brady. 

My thought is the only one who can dethrone Peyton would be if Brees had a semi-typical year of 5k+/45ish TDs, and a 13-3 record with that schedule....

All this will be moot if Peyton throws for 55 TDs tho. 

About 50% of this Colts board thought Manning should get the MVP in 2007 over Brady.  About 50% of this board or more thinks that Manning should get the MVP every single year.

Like another poster said above, I think that Manning is the "Best Player" in the NFL this year, but I don't think that he is the "Most Valuable" because the Broncos could still make the playoffs without him.  No one can debate this either, they made it to the playoffs and WON a playoff game with Tim Tebow as their QB.  Tebow couldn't even start for the Jets last year, they played 3 other QBs before him, and now he isnt even in the league and that Broncos team won in spite of him because of the sheer talent on it.  It is even more talented now offensively and defensively when Von Miller and Champ Bailey return they'll be even better.

I doubt it.  There was very little you could do to argue against Brady in 07, perfect record, near perfect season from the most important position on the field.  Are you arguing that Brady shouldn't have been the MVP in 07?   Your argument seems to support the notion that the 07 Patriots would have been a playoff team without Tom Brady.  Which might be true, it's just curious coming from a Patriots fan.

The Tebow thing was an absolute fluke, aided by a crappy division (8-8, backing into the playoffs) and stellar play on defense.  The current Broncos might still be a playoff team with Osweiller, but that's far from certain. 

Precisely my friend, precisely! Belichick for the most part does a good job of finding out what Manning is doing and trying to limit it. There's a reason why #18 is, what, 7-11 career vs New England? 

Best to you as always! 

Do not know who said it , but someone in year Peyton didnt play, weather a TV analyst or a writer, said and of course no way of knowing this and is pure speculation on his part, strictly hypothetical  -- That if those early afc champ games were in RCA dome in Indy instead of at Pats , Colts would of won & peyton more Superbowls

again no way to know

One remark I know Peyton said   when James couldn't punch it in on the 4th & 1 last play, Peyton said its his fault as he knows BB usually at least back then, plays for the run and Peyton said Colts lost as he should of audibled out to a pass, so he blamed himself for a mental mistake Vs BB in chess match

Thats it today, came home checked injury reports and responded to u , getting hungry & think after a long day will treat self and go out, in mood for sushi, u are invited anytime , on me ( LOL ) u make a trip like that and just like my Dover Mass friend, its best restaurant in town on me

Bill Belichek gets my vote for coach of the year. That team is playing AMAZING on defense and he has managed the psychie of those young receivers very well. Brady has played well but I wouldn't say MVP like. He has had his share of mistakes with INTs and stuff in the first few games but he has certainly the MVP of his team.

To me MVP of the league is the most valuable player TO THE LEAGUE not any certain team. Someone that has fans tuning in to see their accomplishments and bringing attention to the league and their franchise. Certainly they have to be playing great football too.....so no Tim Tebow...but if they have great stats, wins, and generating attention to the league and franchise that is worthy of MVP. Last year AP was exactly that. 2007 Tom was that. I think it takes something special...a special kind of season or performance and be one of the best performers that year. I think it would be hard for Tom to win it this year because his numbers will be down so much. Unless that team just wins every game or goes something like 14-2 or something and Peyton and the rest fall off it would be hard for me to say your the MVP of the league. But the Patriots are a great team...they have a really good defense finally again and Tom has played well enough to get them the win but certainly hasn't lit it up. To me you just have to have a really special season...and Peyton has that going like AP had last year but there is plenty of time for a Brees or Rodgers or Mccoy to beat him out.

Russell Wilson...??

Indeed. I wouldn't even place him in the top 10 qbs so far this year much less mvp. Tom's numbers are way better and his team is 4-0 with less talent....just comical....its like every year we have try to build up the great new hope....like the NBA trying to replace MJ with Kobe and Lebron etc...people are sick of talking about Peyton and Tom but these young cats can't even hold their jock strap. Its the cool hip thing to do is throw out a darkhorse or whatever...when everyone in their right mind knows its Peyton so far...and I do mean so far...its only 1/4 in. Lets be honest...there are only a handful of elite players in this league capable of throwing a team on their back and carrying them....Peyton, Tom, AP, Rodgers, Brees....thats about it...I think its laughable to put others in that list. Every once in a while a player will have a breakout year...a once in a lifetime season...but for the most part...the cream of the crop is always....always the same.

Tom Brady? Maybe. Drew Brees? Maybe. Russell Wilson? I just can't see him as a candidate to overthrow Peyton. That team is just too good on defense, so I can't give Wilson the award knowing that.

Manning has not only broken records, but is the main reason why his team is off the perhaps the greatest start in NFL history.

It's Manning, and I think he gave it to Wilson to maybe make some noise. Writers like doing that.

Tom Brady? Maybe. Drew Brees? Maybe. Russell Wilson? I just can't see him as a candidate to overthrow Peyton. That team is just too good on defense, so I can't give Wilson the award knowing that.

Manning has not only broken records, but is the main reason why his team is off the perhaps the greatest start in NFL history.

It's Manning, and I think he gave it to Wilson to maybe make some noise. Writers like doing that.

Either that or hes from the west coast and suffers from the syndrome they have out there of yelling "East coast sports bias!" every time the west coast teams aren't mentioned. Bad Seahawks fans (as in 10% of them) suffer from this chronically, and will take every opportunity to say Russel Wilson is better than anything you have.

Bill Belichek gets my vote for coach of the year. That team is playing AMAZING on defense and he has managed the psychie of those young receivers very well. Brady has played well but I wouldn't say MVP like. He has had his share of mistakes with INTs and stuff in the first few games but he has certainly the MVP of his team.

To me MVP of the league is the most valuable player TO THE LEAGUE not any certain team. Someone that has fans tuning in to see their accomplishments and bringing attention to the league and their franchise. Certainly they have to be playing great football too.....so no Tim Tebow...but if they have great stats, wins, and generating attention to the league and franchise that is worthy of MVP. Last year AP was exactly that. 2007 Tom was that. I think it takes something special...a special kind of season or performance and be one of the best performers that year. I think it would be hard for Tom to win it this year because his numbers will be down so much. Unless that team just wins every game or goes something like 14-2 or something and Peyton and the rest fall off it would be hard for me to say your the MVP of the league. But the Patriots are a great team...they have a really good defense finally again and Tom has played well enough to get them the win but certainly hasn't lit it up. To me you just have to have a really special season...and Peyton has that going like AP had last year but there is plenty of time for a Brees or Rodgers or Mccoy to beat him out.

On inside the NFL yesterday they were talking about the 4 & 0 )Pats start, anthony Munoz, HOF LT of Bengals was guest, one of the shows regulars said to show the importance of the OL, BB credits the Current Pat record not to Brady , but to the fact that his OL gives Brady so much time that the young receivers , besides the vets , will eventually get free with that time and Brady just standing there waiting to throw when that happens, but it all starts with the OL giving Brady the time to wait as needed for receivers to work lthemselves free, with so much time eventually someone gets free

About 50% of this Colts board thought Manning should get the MVP in 2007 over Brady. About 50% of this board or more thinks that Manning should get the MVP every single year.

Like another poster said above, I think that Manning is the "Best Player" in the NFL this year, but I don't think that he is the "Most Valuable" because the Broncos could still make the playoffs without him. No one can debate this either, they made it to the playoffs and WON a playoff game with Tim Tebow as their QB. Tebow couldn't even start for the Jets last year, they played 3 other QBs before him, and now he isnt even in the league and that Broncos team won in spite of him because of the sheer talent on it. It is even more talented now offensively and defensively when Von Miller and Champ Bailey return they'll be even better.

You think the Broncos make the playoffs with Osweiler at the helm instead of Manning? Good luck with that one. Your prejudice against Manning is ridiculous. Just man up, be honest and say you hope he doesn't win another MVP. That's respectable. I'll admit all day that I hate Brady and the Pats, but I'll give Brady his props. I hate him, but I respect him.

You think the Broncos make the playoffs with Osweiler at the helm instead of Manning? Good luck with that one. Your prejudice against Manning is ridiculous. Just man up, be honest and say you hope he doesn't win another MVP. That's respectable. I'll admit all day that I hate Brady and the Pats, but I'll give Brady his props. I hate him, but I respect him.

I don't think anyone on this board or NE board should be considered to have an objective opinion on either player and certainly not their legacy. I can only imagine if Peyton was to win another SB the fights that would ring out...great thing about sports...their is no greatest of all time award....that is simply left to people to decide for themselves and there is no reason to campaign otherwise. It only matters to the individual...there really is no right or wrong between the two. Some say Montana or Bradshaw and I go back and forth between Johnny U and Dan Marino many times...but Peyton and Tom I think both are worthy to be said as one of the greatest qbs of all time. I don't think Osweiler gets them to the playoffs....Decker and Thomas would look predestrian and that defense would get exposed if it was left out on the field. Brady and Manning...I tell you it will be an espn 30 for 30 someday I'm sure.

Manning pretty much won MVP after week 1, set the stage for the season......it is a lot like Brady in 2007 or Brady in 2010 when he went all those games without throwing an interception.

The only way I can see him losing it right now is if the Broncos start surprisingly losing some games as the year goes on/Manning starts throwing picks. And in the meantime someone like Brady starts lighting it up big time and especially vs. Denver and Gronkendola miss a lot more games and the media goes nuts on Brady doing more with less or something.

But, right now it's Manning 100%.

I think someone like Brees or Rodgers will linger in the background as well.....but the Saints will probably get more attention towards Payton's return/an improved D then Brees this year.

I think it's a QBs years since last year it went to a RB.

However sometimes I feel for MVP voters the Manning/Brady showdown looms large as well in terms of opinions. If one QB completely out duels the other in a head to head it might swing a few things.

Oh the drama!

Manning pretty much won MVP after week 1, set the stage for the season......it is a lot like Brady in 2007 or Brady in 2010 when he went all those games without throwing an interception.

The only way I can see him losing it right now is if the Broncos start surprisingly losing some games as the year goes on/Manning starts throwing picks. And in the meantime someone like Brady starts lighting it up big time and especially vs. Denver and Gronkendola miss a lot more games and the media goes nuts on Brady doing more with less or something.

But, right now it's Manning 100%.

I think someone like Brees or Rodgers will linger in the background as well.....but the Saints will probably get more attention towards Payton's return/an improved D then Brees this year.

I think it's a QBs years since last year it went to a RB.

However sometimes I feel for MVP voters the Manning/Brady showdown looms large as well in terms of opinions. If one QB completely out duels the other in a head to head it might swing a few things.

Oh the drama!

I agree with everything you said except that Bree's in in the background. I think if anything, it is Bree's that is right on Peyton's heels. The Saints are the big story this year and are commanding their fair share if media attention. I would bet that Brees has the best chance to overtake the MVP race.

I agree with everything you said except that Bree's in in the background. I think if anything, it is Bree's that is right on Peyton's heels. The Saints are the big story this year and are commanding their fair share if media attention. I would bet that Brees has the best chance to overtake the MVP race.

You might be right.....guess time will tell as the year goes on. Brees is often in the MVP background though but doesn't actually win it lol.

LaCanfora has just slammed to the ground in my book. Is he the next Skippy Clueless? I dont get those pix at all except Reid and OPOY Manning.

No if ands or buts about it, so far Manning is MVP. Period.

I don't like La Confora in general, he reminds me of the Daniel Snyder of sports analysts.  He's can be an egotistical little @#(*@ personally.