Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says Colts Would Consider Drafting Luck (Merge)

Sure, but 6 months from now someone should ask Peyton and his doctors if he'll have to sit 4 years.

Either way....Irsay's comments reveal no mystery about Luck's draft status or trade value....but they do amplify Irsay's recognition of the value of a franchise QB.

And he....more than any other NFL owner has realized that value.

Mannjng says he'll be back this year.....

I dont know...maybe he's got inside information..

I'd rather have a beat up 37-year-old Manning than a rookie 'legend' trying to learn the offense....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people think he will sit for 4 years? Do you really think a young athletic QB will be worse in say 2 years then a aging beat up 37 year old? you draft Luck...if come the 2014 season he is ready to go you Cut, yes I said it you Cut Peyton Manning.

Keep Caldwell and cut Manning?!?....LOL

Edited by Jason

now i get you are a comic, keep caldwell cut manning. LOL

That's right, LUV...

The old country boy misses a couple of games and the fans want to kick him to the curb...

You are never going to play Luck ahead of Mannng

....and Manning runs the offense and takes all the snaps in practice..

....Luck's been in school for four years..he doesnt wnat 4 more

That isn't a win-win because we'd be paying 1st pick QB money to a guy who wouldn't be contributing. That's a waste of Manning's remaining years. Rodgers didn't cost the Packers anything until after Favre retired because he was picked 24th.

Teams are going to be frenzied in their attempts to draft Luck, and that is a win-win for us.

I hate to say it, but we've now seen that even Painter can produce in this system; just not for 4 quarters. We can protect the future of this franchise by spending far less on a 3 year bench QB. Use the first pick on something we need, or to trade for a lot of value.

I also can't believe someone with your intelligence would even suggest fixing via free agency. We see that tactic fail every single season, in every major sport. Look no further than Philadelphia.

The rookie wage scale greatly plays into our favor with Luck now. And who says he couldn't contribute? When we get up by 3 scores put him in. Let him get the experience. That'll help save Manning from doing more than he needs to, makes Luck earn some of that money, and be 100% ready when it's his time. If he has a bad game and makes things competitive again, you just put Manning back in to finish it off, and let Luck answer to Manning for making whatever mistakes he did, which is just going to make him better.

And free agency is not the answer because some * in Philly didn't understand how to build a team instead of just signing guys out of namesake? Surely you have more faith in our front office than to compare them to the eagles....

If our FO was inept as Philly's our trophy case, just like theirs, would be empty and we, like they, would lose A LOT more than we do.

New England makes intelligent free agency and trade deals, what prevents us from doing the same? The Tryon trade is a perfect example of how we can get good players for our system for little to no cost. (Nevermind how that whole farce ended)

Dream scenario (let's assume we we have the 1st overall pick in 2012 draft) in my mind: 1st round: (Trade 1st overall pick with Seattle for 4th overall and get their 2012 1st rounder) 4th pick: Matt Kalil, OT, USC 2nd round: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina 3rd round: Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M 4th round: Robert Lester, S, Alabama 5th round: Best DT 6th round: Best DE 7th round: Best LB Free Agency: Cortland Finnegan, CB

Good selections, but I think you really undervalued that 1st overall pick both in point value and in light of the frenzy over Luck. Based on the draft pick value chart it's worth at least a 4th overall + 2nd rounder + 3rd rounder AND another 1st rounder in 2013. If a bidding war erupts among several teams desperate for Luck, throw in another 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2013 OR a solid veteran player.

I'd rather have a beat up 37-year-old Manning than a rookie 'legend' trying to learn the offense....

Is having both of them unreasonable if the conclusion is that Peyton has 2 seasons left rather than 4 left?

This team is NOT going to win another SB in teh Manning era. Heck I doubt they will make it to another SB in the manning era which is all but 3 seasons. People need to wake up and relize that it's time to move on. Bringing in Luck allows for this franchise to move on after a few seasons of Luck learning under Peyton.

Luck is a very good talent, and I personally don't want to watch Curtis Painter Playing QB for the Colts (for the long term) ! Another thing that Polian needs to considered is, what if Manning can't play......... again? Do you really want to take the chance, and pass on Luck for an O-lineman that probably won't pan out, and be forced to watch another year of Curtis Painter? Any QB in the league can throw an out, on a WR screen(Painter). Draft Luck, and pick up acouple O-linemen in the 2nd / 3rd round of the draft. Not drafting Luck is madness !!!!!!!!!!

Luck is a very good talent, and I personally don't want to watch Curtis Painter Playing QB for the Colts (for the long term) ! Another thing that Polian needs to considered is, what if Manning can't play......... again? Do you really want to take the chance, and pass on Luck for an O-lineman that probably won't pan out, and be forced to watch another year of Curtis Painter? Any QB in the league can throw an out, on a WR screen(Painter). Draft Luck, and pick up acouple O-linemen in the 2nd / 3rd round of the draft. Not drafting Luck is madness !!!!!!!!!!

It is absolute madness if he winds up being the next Alex Smith instead of the next Peyton like everyone thinks he's going to be. ;)

Something to consider...

After a year or two, particularly if Manning's neck acts up.... is there any reason we couldn't play BOTH QB's? Think about it.

There's no reason we couldn't play them both at any time.

When we get up by 3 scores put him in. Let him get the experience. That'll help save Manning from doing more than he needs to, makes Luck earn some of that money, and be 100% ready when it's his time. If he has a bad game and makes things competitive again, you just put Manning back in to finish it off, and let Luck answer to Manning for making whatever mistakes he did, which is just going to make him better.

Somebody better ask Luck if he WANTS to sit four four years holding a clipboard..

He DOES have a choice..

Who knows for sure that Luck will have to sit for 4 years. What if Luck by age 25 becomes better than Manning at 39/40? What if Manning sustains a career ending injury before his contract is up? No one knows for sure what will happen.

LOL You say that now. Fans turned on Marvin real quick when he got hurt and his skills started to deteriorate. They turned on a guy who was probably 2nd only to Jerry Rice. Don't fool yourself where Manning is concerned. Human nature is fickle and loyalty only goes so far.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_colts_andrew_luck_2012_draft_101011

In all honesty, I would not be opposed to this if we end up getting the #1 pick. The key here being the #1 pick. If we get even the #2 pick it has to go out the window. At that point, I'd rather us trade that pick to get more picks. However, getting Luck may be a once in a lifetime chance again for us the same way it was with Peyton.

Go Colts

http://ca.sports.yah...12_draft_101011

In all honesty, I would not be opposed to this if we end up getting the #1 pick. The key here being the #1 pick. If we get even the #2 pick it has to go out the window. At that point, I'd rather us trade that pick to get more picks. However, getting Luck may be a once in a lifetime chance again for us the same way it was with Peyton.

Go Colts

We do that and we could be passing up the next Suh, Revis or Reed. One potential HoF player is worth many "good" players. 'Many' isn't always better than 'one'. As in, many one dollar bills aren't equal to one hundred dollar bill.

http://ca.sports.yah...12_draft_101011

Go Colts

Wouldn't that make it a twice in a lifetime chance?

Dolphins fans are becoming paranoid because of this Irsay article lol

My friend who's a Dolphin fan is convinced now that the Colts are working with Goodell to guarantee Luck to the Colts.

.....and my friends who are Dolphins fans realize we're gonna be a hard act to follow after blowing a huge lead vs. KC. In Fins land, they'd gladly take a step back in the derby if it means beating the Jets.

It pains me to say it, but what would be keeping us from playing Peyton another year or 2 and then trading him while he is in the twilight of his career and has some value? It is a business after all. I think we would bring Peyton in for a day so he could retire a Colt. Sure I would like to see him take every snap as a Colt, but I recall Unitas finished with the Chargers, Montana with the Chiefs etc. No one seems to be talking about that possibility.

It pains me to say it, but what would be keeping us from playing Peyton another year or 2 and then trading him while he is in the twilight of his career and has some value? It is a business after all. I think we would bring Peyton in for a day so he could retire a Colt. Sure I would like to see him take every snap as a Colt, but I recall Unitas finished with the Chargers, Montana with the Chiefs etc. No one seems to be talking about that possibility.

I know. I am doing my best to not even consider that possibility.

My gut tells me Manning won't play out the contract, meaning I don't think he'll play 16+ games for 4 more years. I think either this neck thing will end his career or he just won't stay fully healthy for 4 years if he can play at all. My thoughts are, if we get Luck(and the team sees a franchise guy in him), take him. Let Manning teach him. have understanding with Manning that it still is his team until he's ready to go. Manning won't stick around longer than he can be productive. When he does retire, he can hand over the reigns to Luck who should be as ready as can be expected. It will be a BIG PR event. Possibly worth more to the organization than anything they could get in a trade for Manning. Trading Manning , imo, would be a huge mistake for PR. regardless of what we'd get. I just don't think you trade a manning.

I say bite the bullet, have 2 good QBs on the roster for a few years and try to protect the most valuable position on this team...QB.

This team is used to having "dead" salary money sitting on the bench anyway.

Edited by WoolMagnet

haha my favorite comment on there is when one guy says

"Why do you say the City of Indianapolis would not deserve another franchise QB??? Based on what? We continue to sell out every game despite being 0-5. Admittedly, Indy is no Pittsburg or Dallas when it comes to the fan base, but their fans have come a long way in 27 years..."

The OP says "Because why in the heck does Indianapolis deserve two franchise QBs back to back? Even if you take my overall lack of respect for most Colts fans (really all pro sports in Indy, which is a GREAT ollege/amateur sports town) out of the equation, it certainly is not equitable that a team like Indy should luck into another franchise QB (pardon the pun) while franchises that have paid their dues like the Dolphins, Browns, Chiefs, Bills and others haven't had the good fortune to suck in the right seasons. There is a whole lot of good fortune involved in acquiring a true franchise QB and it'd be nice to see it spread around a bit. Indy has had their run. Peyton has completely transformed football in the Circle City and the fans have supported a perennial playoff team and Super Bowl contender. But give me a good reason, other than simply stating that it's all up to chance, why Indy deserves ANOTHER franchise QB over other cities so starved for one."

And it didn't say heck either.

Edited by AustinCollie17

Why do people think he will sit for 4 years? Do you really think a young athletic QB will be worse in say 2 years then a aging beat up 37 year old? you draft Luck...if come the 2014 season he is ready to go you Cut, yes I said it you Cut Peyton Manning.

If it came down to Manning not playing like himself and not being the best option at QB I think he would retire.

I find it hilarious that all these other fans are crying over the possiblity for us to get Luck. Like them sucking for all those years didn't give them chances to get a good QB either in the draft. The Browns now have Mccoy who is a up and coming player along with the Lions having Matt Stafford. The only other team that hasn't had the benefit of a good QB in years is Miami and even then, they have had plenty of chances to aquire a good QB.

Point being: Other fans need to stop crying and watch us get Luck

I believe Manning when he says he will retire a Colt and he would retire before that happened. Plus Irsay and Polian wouldn't even try because they know he would. I don't think Manning would be 1 bit offended if they drafted Luck, he knows he's going to be playing on borrowed time. Plus he would probably like working with somebody like Luck.

Thats another thing too. People think Manning would just be like Favre and not want to help bring Luck along into the system the same way he did with Rodgers. Peyton has shown himself to be a class-act player and in all likelihood continue to be so. Up to this point he has made it a point to take Curtis under his wing and teach him the system. Why would Luck be any different? Peyton is going for the al-mantra. A true professional in every respect of his profession. He knows that he wont play forever and knows any PR choice he makes will more or less be on his resume' which is why he wouldn't tarnish it the same way Favre has done.

That has to do with focusing on the next game, but lets face it, if you aren't looking past that and as already mentioned a few years down the road, you aren't going anywhere. If you live your life, only thinking of what happens tomorrow and don't plan for furture, then you aren't going anywhere. He was asked a question, I think 32 team owners would have answered it the same way, of course they would look at Luck. Doesn't mean they are going to draft him, doesn't mean they don't have faith in their current QB. It is just a question and I think he answered it correctly.

I think if you went and asked each player what they thought, they would say, well, if we have the number one draft pick, we should look at Luck. It only makes sense.

I never read the tweet so idk about any questions being asked... it just sounds to me like Irsay was just saying things out loud like he usually does. Right now no one wants to see him talk about luck, ppl wanna hear what he is gonna do to make the colts team better this year and the next. And i doubt any player would say they should look at luck because they have manning.

I say if we pick first we take luck without hesitation. My POV having seen Luck several times play in person...I have not seen anyone this good in college footbal since Peyton. it's really not his "numbers" that impressed me although very good! it's his ability to read defenses that impresses me. amazing player SMART player. This is the best time to get that Qb for when Peyton decides to leave the game. .

If it came down to Manning not playing like himself and not being the best option at QB I think he would retire.

probably right

some also say what else would Irsay say, theywont scout a good player, they scouted QBs last year, some of the so called TV analyssts say Irsay may in his way be driving up trade value if they get that chance so can see all options at draft time

It's totally acceptable for him to say what he did. It's a poker game, man. He's posturing. Even if he has every intention of trading the 1st pick if we get it, the smart thing to do is act like you want to keep it, cause it basically raises the asking price. If we acted like we have no interest in picking him and really want to trade away the pick, we'd be much more likely to get lesser offers for it. It's a smart move, period.

no, don't show your hand. are you a poker player? didn't think so. don't give the agent reasons, ok? don't give people stupid comments either, not yours, his.

all due respect man,

c'mon man, that is, Irsay!!!!????

If Peyton is healthy, Luck will refuse to sign with the Colts much like Eli indicated he would not sign with SD. He has no plans to carry the clip board for three or four years.

I honestly think there's a much better chance of this than most people think or admit to.

this makes me want to barf - luck is from the pac 10 and un-proven in the NFL

this makes me want to barf - luck is from the pac 10 and un-proven in the NFL

I was listening to Colin on the Herd on ESPN radio and he actually thought that this is what the Colts should do. I don't agree with everything Colin has to say, but this is actually a very interesting scenario. If it makes you want to barf or not, it's interesting to discuss every possble scenario. If this scenario were to play out 1) Luck would have to show us a lot during the year or two behind Peyton. 2) Peyton's production would have to decline. 3) Peyton would still have to be productive enough to have some value. Will this likely happen, no. Is there still a possibility this could happen..sure.

BTW I like the idea you had of regurgitating a title of another thread to show your opposed to this idea. Let me do the same for my rebuttle...."Why are Colts fans scared of the idea of drafting Luck?" lmao

Edited by indy_nick

IF the Colts are terrible enough to get the #1 pick, they will take Andrew Luck and keep him.

Have you been watching this season, we're 0-5. We are THAT terrible, Miami and St. Louis are the only other winless teams in the league. How's that make you feel?

"Because why in the heck does Indianapolis deserve two franchise QBs back to back? Even if you take my overall lack of respect for most Colts fans (really all pro sports in Indy, which is a GREAT ollege/amateur sports town) out of the equation, it certainly is not equitable that a team like Indy should luck into another franchise QB (pardon the pun) while franchises that have paid their dues like the Dolphins, Browns, Chiefs, Bills and others haven't had the good fortune to suck in the right seasons.

Wow who's this *? Let me get this straight, they haven't had the good fortune to suck in the right seasons? THEY SUCK EVERY SEASON. And don't the Browns already have Colt McCoy?

I've posted this on " Why are Colts fans scared of the idea of drafting Luck" and thought that it is relevant here as well.

Peyton Manning although having surgery on his neck, has not been placed on IR. You would have to assume that this is so that he can practice when cleared to play. I highly doubt that he will actually play in any games this year; however, he will practice, mainly so that he can rebuild his arm strength and re-establish timing with the receivers. More importantly, so that he can be evaluated by the front office prior to this year’s draft.

At this point there are two directions that the front office can pursue, either to draft Andrew Luck, or trade the pick, given that we have the first overall pick, (which still is unlikely.)

If Peyton Manning’s health is an issue, then obviously we will draft Andrew Luck. He is too good to pass up on. The quarterback position is the most important position in football, and although does not guarantee that we will be a winning team; recent history has shown that teams with a good quarterback usually are contenders. What has been missed in many posts is that given that we have the first overall pick, then we would also have the first pick in every subsequent round of the draft. We would have the option to choose the best player in each round. These picks can be used to strengthen the defense, and receiving corps. We would essentially then have the “best player” in the draft and the best pick in each round to address our additional needs. People have forgotten that we can draft Luck and draft other players too.

If Peyton is healthy and on track to recover without the discomfort that he has felt in his neck in previous years, the front office may choose to trade the draft picks for numerous picks. They can surround Peyton Manning with talent that can contribute right away; with picks at receiver and DB etc…You can argue that if Peyton Manning was playing this year, we would be 4-1. We can certainly be much better with numerous first and second round picks for the next few years. The focus would be to win a Superbowl with Manning NOW. What the front office would have to consider is that Peyton is getting older. He will be 37 years old during the next season. With age comes a progressive deteriation in speed, strength, and ability to recover from soreness. The front office will have to make the decision if Luck is an absolute must, regardless of Peyton’s health at that time, in which case they would draft Luck with the knowledge that he would learn under Peyton for a year or so, and then be the eventual starter.