Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says Colts Would Consider Drafting Luck (Merge)

Credit Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo....12_draft_101011

Owner Jim Irsay stopped well short of saying that the Indianapolis Colts were looking for an eventual successor to quarterback Peyton Manning, but he strongly indicated Monday that his team would be willing to take someone such as Stanford’s Andrew Luck in the 2012 NFL draft if the opportunity presented itself.

“Guys like that come along so rarely,” Irsay said, referring to Manning and what many are projecting of Luck. The Stanford senior is already widely considered a near-lock to be the No. 1 overall pick.

“Even if that means that guy sits for three or four years, you’d certainly think about taking him … you see what Green Bay did with [brett] Favre and [Aaron] Rodgers and you’d like to be able to do the same thing.”

Irsay, in town for the NFL’s annual fall meeting, said there are many circumstances and situations yet to play out, including the hope that the Colts would start to win some games after losing by seven points or less in each of the past three games. However, he certainly seemed to be leaning toward the idea of adding another franchise-type quarterback.

When asked if it was better to rebuild the core of the team, which includes 30-and-older players such as Freeney, Mathis, Wayne and Clark Irsay again seemed to be leaning toward the quarterback.

“We believe that if Peyton was playing this year, we might be 4-1. He has the ability to make up for a lot of deficiencies,” Irsay said. “With guys like Freeney and Mathis, we feel like they could be contributors for awhile to come."

“We’re a team in transition, but we have been a team in transition before when we went from great players like Edgerrin [James], Marvin Harrison and Tarik Glenn … you look at the Bears with [brian] Urlacher and [Julius] Peppers as the core of their team. Guys who are 30 and older can be huge contributors.”

To sum it up.

IF the Colts are terrible enough to get the #1 pick, they will take Andrew Luck and keep him.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL Irsay just proved to me he knows as little as some of the mindless fans here.

Lol reading his comments it's almost as if he reads this forum........

Hey Jim, if you're reading this...Plleeaasse draft Jeff Fuller in the 3rd round.

Edited by theking213

IMO if we want to win another superbowl in the Manning era, drafting Luck would be a mistake. If they think Luck can sit for 3 years and want him to be the guy to take after than have at it. I'd just like to see more glaring issues addressed. Obviously we now know we have a backup QB who gives the team a chance to win.

IMO if we want to win another superbowl in the Manning era, drafting Luck would be a mistake.

I just don't get this line of thinking... If we need such bad help now (and I don't need to tell you we do) wouldn't free agency or some trading be the best way to win now (you know, like we need) as opposed to drafting a player and taking the chance that he might not transition to the NFL or our system? I mean Polian isn't exactly on a winning streak of first round picks...

And sure, you can argue the same can be said of Luck and you would be absolutely correct. But with Peyton Manning mentoring him how to be an NFL QB, the chance of Luck being a bust is much, much lower.

Get what we need to win in the immediate future in free agency and through some trades.

Get what we need to win for the next 15 years with Luck.

It's a win-win. Why is that so bad?

Dream scenario (let's assume we we have the 1st overall pick in 2012 draft) in my mind:

1st round: (Trade 1st overall pick with Seattle for 4th overall and get their 2012 1st rounder) 4th pick: Matt Kalil, OT, USC

2nd round: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

3rd round: Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

4th round: Robert Lester, S, Alabama

5th round: Best DT

6th round: Best DE

7th round: Best LB

Free Agency: Cortland Finnegan, CB

you don't want your owner making a comment that Luck can sit around for 3 or 4 years, that's insane to say that, and to make a comparision like Green Bay. You'll end up with an Eli Manning situation where he wouldn't want to come here and sit. Now Manning may be done in a year or two anyway but what QB of his caliber is going to want to throw away those years (and stats)>??????? Ludicrous. Wake Up JIMBO, don't make comments like that!!!!!

I just don't get this line of thinking... If we need such bad help now (and I don't need to tell you we do) wouldn't free agency or some trading be the best way to win now (you know, like we need) as opposed to drafting a player and taking the chance that he might not transition to the NFL or our system? I mean Polian isn't exactly on a winning streak of first round picks...

And sure, you can argue the same can be said of Luck and you would be absolutely correct. But with Peyton Manning mentoring him how to be an NFL QB, the chance of Luck being a bust is much, much lower.

Get what we need to win in the immediate future in free agency and through some trades.

Got to wonder if Polian would do enough in free agency & trades to allow us to win now and still draft luck

No doubt Luck would be great, but dont want same scenario as 1 man basically carrying the team, Trade down for great picks and stuck up on future core players that can contribute now if thats possible as that can also build for years ahead Then dont need luck but can develop someone of lesser potential ( and as all they have right now is potential) . As u said Manning will educate the nerxt QB so while top would be best are others quite f good and surround Peryton and whomever drafted with players we need for now & future and that could work,

Just throwing out ideas, not saying u r wrong by any means

BTW this was PEYTON's predraft scouting report & WHILE GOOD ITS NOT AS STELLAR BY ANY MEANS As ONE WOULD OF EXPECTED IN HINDSIGHT so u never know , sorry dont have the link, its been on my profile page of direct colts and all the previous web forms of this site for ages

PRE DRAFT SCOUTING

CNN/SI War Room Value Board:

Limited Upside

May Not Have Hall Of Fame Skills

No Gun For An Arm

Potential Flaws

Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?”. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.

Edited by bayone

Lol reading his comments it's almost as if he reads this forum........

Hey Jim, if you're reading this...Plleeaasse draft Jeff Fuller in the 3rd round.

I really do hope Fuller makes it to us in the 3rd!! Honestly, I see him as a early 2nd rounder.... but he would be a great fit for us

you don't want your owner making a comment that Luck can sit around for 3 or 4 years, that's insane to say that, and to make a comparision like Green Bay. You'll end up with an Eli Manning situation where he wouldn't want to come here and sit. Now Manning may be done in a year or two anyway but what QB of his caliber is going to want to throw away those years (and stats)>??????? Ludicrous. Wake Up JIMBO, don't make comments like that!!!!!

It's totally acceptable for him to say what he did. It's a poker game, man. He's posturing. Even if he has every intention of trading the 1st pick if we get it, the smart thing to do is act like you want to keep it, cause it basically raises the asking price. If we acted like we have no interest in picking him and really want to trade away the pick, we'd be much more likely to get lesser offers for it. It's a smart move, period.

Dream scenario (let's assume we we have the 1st overall pick in 2012 draft) in my mind:

1st round: (Trade 1st overall pick with Seattle for 4th overall and get their 2012 1st rounder) 4th pick: Matt Kalil, OT, USC

If you're trading down from #1 -- you best get a lot more then just the honor of moving down 3 spots. In your "trade" it doesn't appear the Colts even get any additional 2012 picks?!!?!?

irsay needs to be quiet and worry about this season, its one thing for fans to talk about luck its another when the team owner is talking about as well during the season.. shows what he thinks about his team, instead of talking about luck why doesnt he go try to make a position other than QB better. Nonetheless the colts will not get the chance to get luck that will be the dolphins.

irsay needs to be quiet and worry about this season, its one thing for fans to talk about luck its another when the team owner is talking about as well during the season.. shows what he thinks about his team, instead of talking about luck why doesnt he go try to make a position other than QB better. Nonetheless the colts will not get the chance to get luck that will be the dolphins.

So the owner can't answer a question about next seasons draft? Really? For some reason, I thought that, you know, it is HIS team and not ours.

So the owner can't answer a question about next seasons draft? Really? For some reason, I thought that, you know, it is HIS team and not ours.

Umm isnt it the mantra of the colts one game at a time? matter of fact forget that... this plays well into the whole thing about sucking for luck... how would that sound to the players when their owner thinks they are gonna suck so bad that they might have the possibility of getting luck... he could have said that after the season or much later on in the season. I know very well its his team.

It's totally acceptable for him to say what he did. It's a poker game, man. He's posturing. Even if he has every intention of trading the 1st pick if we get it, the smart thing to do is act like you want to keep it, cause it basically raises the asking price. If we acted like we have no interest in picking him and really want to trade away the pick, we'd be much more likely to get lesser offers for it. It's a smart move, period.

EXACTLY. I was going to post this exact same thing but you beat me to it. lol If he has no interest in Luck there's no way he's going to come out and say that. Make it look like you're interested to drive up the asking price.

That isn't a win-win because we'd be paying 1st pick QB money to a guy who wouldn't be contributing. That's a waste of Manning's remaining years. Rodgers didn't cost the Packers anything until after Favre retired because he was picked 24th.

Teams are going to be frenzied in their attempts to draft Luck, and that is a win-win for us.

I hate to say it, but we've now seen that even Painter can produce in this system; just not for 4 quarters. We can protect the future of this franchise by spending far less on a 3 year bench QB. Use the first pick on something we need, or to trade for a lot of value.

I also can't believe someone with your intelligence would even suggest fixing via free agency. We see that tactic fail every single season, in every major sport. Look no further than Philadelphia.

Credit Yahoo Sports: http://sports.yahoo....12_draft_101011

To sum it up.

IF the Colts are terrible enough to get the #1 pick, they will take Andrew Luck and keep him.

I don't see anywhere in the article that Irsay says the Colts will take Luck. He says it must be considered and I agree with that. Every year the team picking number one tries not to show their hand too early. I would imagine this is the same.

Umm isnt it the mantra of the colts one game at a time? matter of fact forget that... this plays well into the whole thing about sucking for luck... how would that sound to the players when their owner thinks they are gonna suck so bad that they might have the possibility of getting luck... he could have said that after the season or much later on in the season. I know very well its his team.

That has to do with focusing on the next game, but lets face it, if you aren't looking past that and as already mentioned a few years down the road, you aren't going anywhere. If you live your life, only thinking of what happens tomorrow and don't plan for furture, then you aren't going anywhere. He was asked a question, I think 32 team owners would have answered it the same way, of course they would look at Luck. Doesn't mean they are going to draft him, doesn't mean they don't have faith in their current QB. It is just a question and I think he answered it correctly.

I think if you went and asked each player what they thought, they would say, well, if we have the number one draft pick, we should look at Luck. It only makes sense.

exactly what i was going to say!

If you're trading down from #1 -- you best get a lot more then just the honor of moving down 3 spots. In your "trade" it doesn't appear the Colts even get any additional 2012 picks?!!?!?

we would be getting next years 1st round pick also.

I very much like the idea of adding another premium OT prospect. I believe the NFL wars are won in the trenches and adding a guy like Kalil to a line with Castonzo and Ijilana would mean the OL for the next 10 years would include three premium guys (barring further injuries). Solidifying the OL to get the offense back to where it needs to be is a key ingredient.

The Colts need health more than anything, though, really. A healthy DL and they have the cogs now, with Nevis, to be very solid.

I like angerer at MLB, but I think the Colts still need a premium OLB to be added to the mix. To be a great defense I think you need to have a game changing linebacker. That guy is still not on the Colts, no disrespect meant to Angerer and Conner.

Getting better in the secondary is a huge need. Particularly at CB. Powers has to learn how to be healthy or he will be just another tease, but regardless, adding a top flight CB is hugely important. At safety I think Lefeged will be the answer at SS and I still like Bethea at FS.

Back to offense, a top flight WR will have to be added very soon. Re-signing Wayne is job one. Getting Garcon to quit dropping the easy ones is job 2. Adding an impact heir apparent to Wayne is receiver job 3.

It is intriguing to be able to add a guy like Luck to sit in the wings, but I remain hopeful that Manning has three to four years left as the top flight HOF starter. Bottom line at qb imho is if Manning has more than two years left, you trade the pick for Luck and reap the benefits of more premium draft choices being added to the equation. If Manning has two or less years left, you take Luck.

Edited by rockywoj

2nd round: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

3rd round: Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

4th round: Robert Lester, S, Alabama

5th round: Best DT

6th round: Best DE

7th round: Best LB

Free Agency: Cortland Finnegan, CB

Sauce man..

I'm liking this a lot better than a QB who will sit four seasons..

Got to wonder if Polian would do enough in free agency & trades to allow us to win now and still draft luck

No doubt Luck would be great, but dont want same scenario as 1 man basically carrying the team, Trade down for great picks and stuck up on future core players that can contribute now if thats possible as that can also build for years ahead Then dont need luck but can develop someone of lesser potential ( and as all they have right now is potential) . As u said Manning will educate the nerxt QB so while top would be best are others quite f good and surround Peryton and whomever drafted with players we need for now & future and that could work,

Just throwing out ideas, not saying u r wrong by any means

BTW this was PEYTON's predraft scouting report & WHILE GOOD ITS NOT AS STELLAR BY ANY MEANS As ONE WOULD OF EXPECTED IN HINDSIGHT so u never know , sorry dont have the link, its been on my profile page of direct colts and all the previous web forms of this site for ages

PRE DRAFT SCOUTING

CNN/SI War Room Value Board:

Limited Upside

May Not Have Hall Of Fame Skills

No Gun For An Arm

Potential Flaws

Manning is probably the most prepared QB to enter the NFL draft in several years.. He has had a storybook college career, and has been in a top level program with excellent coaching, and he has maturity and great intangibles to go along with his natural skills.. He should be able to pick up the mental aspects of the game early on the NFL level, and should play very quickly. He has great overall field vision. He is a fierce competitor, and all of his mechanics are very solid. He has good arm strength, but not necessarily a “gun” that you might expect from a QB at the top of the draft.. He has adequate mobility and good overall AA, although he is not a scrambler by nature. He has done an excellent job of getting the most out of his abilities, but he is not quite as natural a player as Leaf. One question that some NFL scouts have is the question “will he get any better?”. At times he gives the appearance of being a self-made player, and sometimes those types of players don’t always go on to great NFL careers. In Manning’s case, he may be a solid and productive NFL QB, but he may not have Hall of Fame type skills, but it certainly won’t be for lack of effort.. He has probably been the most scouted player in the draft in recent years, and because that NFL teams tend to look too much at potential flaws, instead of accepting him for what he is, a great college QB that is on his way to an outstanding NFL career.

Thanks Bayone..

that is very interesting..

wonder what the scouting report was on Shady Tom Brady?

I say hold of on the a qb this draft and work on bigger issues, like Defense, ST, and Oline. Take a qb late next year or year after. Give manning a year or 2 years to train this kid and get them ready for their time. Its too early to take our Next franchise qb when manning still has 3 or 4 years left in the tank. If he happens to get hurt again or for some reason cant return. I have all faith that with a strong D and a better oline...Painter can squeeze a few wins for us. It just seems to early to take a high caliber qb this years draft when Our D is the biggest weakness this team has

Somebody better ask Luck if he WANTS to sit four four years holding a clipboard..

He DOES have a choice..

Yes he certainly does...a lot of people will say that he'd consider it an honor to sit and learn for 4 years behind Peyton....but if he's the competitor everyone says he is, the competitor he should be to be so highly considered, then he's going to want to be on the field as soon as possible....not waste the first 1/3 to 1/4 of his career on the bench.

Somebody better ask Luck if he WANTS to sit four four years holding a clipboard..

He DOES have a choice..

Sure, but 6 months from now someone should ask Peyton and his doctors if he'll have to sit 4 years.

Either way....Irsay's comments reveal no mystery about Luck's draft status or trade value....but they do amplify Irsay's recognition of the value of a franchise QB.

And he....more than any other NFL owner has realized that value.

IMO if we want to win another superbowl in the Manning era, drafting Luck would be a mistake. If they think Luck can sit for 3 years and want him to be the guy to take after than have at it. I'd just like to see more glaring issues addressed. Obviously we now know we have a backup QB who gives the team a chance to win.

did you ever see what happens to teams who lose great qb's they got 10 to 12 years trying ot find one

LOL Irsay just proved to me he knows as little as some of the mindless fans here.

LOL except that Irsay is a billionaire who owns an NFL team in REALITY and you are just a * who thinks he knows more posting on a website owned by Irsay simply because you own an NFL in your mind. Who knows more?

I am not sure Irsay could have said anything less meaningful than what he did. Of course, if in position, they would consider drafting him. They have to consider. Of course they also have to consider what another team would be willing to pay in order to draft Luck.

In other words, he said nothing and committed to nothing.

This team is NOT going to win another SB in teh Manning era. Heck I doubt they will make it to another SB in the manning era which is all but 3 seasons. People need to wake up and relize that it's time to move on. Bringing in Luck allows for this franchise to move on after a few seasons of Luck learning under Peyton.

He DOES have a choice..

Why do people think he will sit for 4 years? Do you really think a young athletic QB will be worse in say 2 years then a aging beat up 37 year old? you draft Luck...if come the 2014 season he is ready to go you Cut, yes I said it you Cut Peyton Manning.

Why do people think he will sit for 4 years? Do you really think a young athletic QB will be worse in say 2 years then a aging beat up 37 year old? you draft Luck...if come the 2014 season he is ready to go you Cut, yes I said it you Cut Peyton Manning.

now i get you are a comic, keep caldwell cut manning. LOL

I understand your line of thinking John, I have been pondering the same thing myself. However if we could get a player who can come in here and have a huge impact day 1, that would be a great help opposed to Luck who won't get to do anything for at least 3 years.