Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Cornerback?

Trumaine Johnson out of Montana is a physical specimen to our cornerback standards at least. He is 6-3 and 210+ pounds. He excels in press coverage along with shadow coverage and is no slouch either when it comes to speed. He runs a 4.48 40 yard dash... and that was reported from last year. I know stats don't show much but check these out.

2008: He was a rare starter as a “true” freshman, which is especially unique at the cornerback position. He started in Montana’s first 11 games and was a Big Sky honorable mention selection.

Johnson tied for the team lead with four interceptions and tied for sixth in the Big Sky with .36 picks a game. He suffered an injury against Idaho State on Nov. 15th and was unable to play after that.

2009: He had team-highs of five interceptions and 12 pass deflections in 11 games (he missed four contests due to injury). He would be ranked first (tie) in the league in pass deflections (1.09 pg) and second in interceptions (0.45 pg), but because he did not play in the NCAA-required 75 percent (he played in 11 of 15, or 73.3%) of UM’s games, he did not qualify for the national rankings.

“Tru” was fourth on the team with 31 solo tackles a year ago. He is the team’s fourth leading returning tackler in 2010 with 54 stops last season.

He was a first team All-Big Sky Conference selection. He was named the Sports Network’s co-National Player of the Week on defense on Sept. 12th because of his outstanding play (six tackles and two interceptions) in a 17-10 victory at UC Davis. He was also named the Big Sky’s “POW” on defense that week.

2010: Started all 11 games for 7-4 Montana. He was the team's ninth leading tackler with 44 stops, was second at UM with 4 interceptions for 88 yards and 2 touchdowns, and also had a team-high 7 pass deflections. He also averaged 22.2 yards on eight kickoff returns. He was a first team All-Big Sky Conference pick.

Maybe this is a guy we look into?

Best defensive player on Montana. Really caught my eye. We could probably get him in the 4th. Get Kirkpatrick in the first (if we trade down), and pick this guy up in the 4th. That would be great!

As much as I like Kirkpatrick, I think there's a bigger drop at MLB than CB and I think we still need a true, monster MLB. Manti Te'o would be perfect, and we could still get a Stephon Gilmore at the top of the 2nd round too...or we may get lucky and see Morris Claiborn drop a little bit to the top of the 2nd. :D

Edited by Jason

The guy I really like is Morris Claiborne out of LSU. He has played extremely well this year. Not to mention that LSU has one of the top secondaries in all of college football.

I'm not sure where we would pick him as I've seen anywhere from #10 overall and into the 2nd round. He is very fast and athletic and he has 2 interceptions this year. He's listed at 6'0" to 6'1" and 185 lbs.

Who is the best CB in this class? I've heard Dre Kirpatrick was the top CB, but I've also read that he is inconsistent. Anther guy that might be really good for us is Alfonzo Dennard.