Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Maybe we shouldn't have resigned Brackett

Superman

This seems to be the year of the linebacker. There are several players at the position that are younger and more dynamic than Gary Brackett is that are on the market right now. Last year, I believe Gary was one of three real good linebackers that were available, including a big time guy like Karlos Dansby who signed for $43 million. We obviously weren't going to spend that kind of money, and even if we hadn't been able to keep Gary, we wouldn't be spending that kind of money this season. Also of note is the fact that Gary's contract is very cap manageable; I believe his cap his is $2 million this season, and his deal is structured in such a way that after this year he can be cut with minimal cap penalties if necessary.

However, Gary is 31 years old. Due to injuries, he missed four whole games last year, and wasn't at full capacity for probably another four games or so. He had a great year in 2009, but didn't do much last season as the centerpiece of an underwhelming defense. It was impossible to forecast any of this, obviously, but it's always been clear that Brackett is a serviceable linebacker who plays his role well; he's not an elite player.

Would we have been better patching the middle linebacker hole last season with rookies and auxiliary players (which we sort of did, anyways; Angerer did a decent job; or a guy like Ernie Sims could have been had for a 5th rounder), and then taking a look at this year's MLB free agency pool? There are eight or nine guys available this season that are younger, more athletic, and many all around better than Brackett. Some of them might cost a little bit more, but overall, having a dynamic middle linebacker could really improve our defense. We have bigger holes on defense, to be sure. But I think we could do better than Brackett in this year's free agency market, and for not much more than we paid him.

Take a look at ESPN's list and share thoughts. http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?positionId=30&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2ffa%3fpositionId%3d30

I like Brackett, I think he is a very good player. If we have better play from our DTs, our LBs won't have to make so many plays and they won't get injured or worn down as much. A solid rotation of Nevis, Moala, Johnson and (hopefully) Mebane sounds awesome to me. I still think Brackett is good where he is and it was a good move to re-sign him.

I like Brackett, I think he is a very good player. If we have better play from our DTs, our LBs won't have to make so many plays and they won't get injured or worn down as much. A solid rotation of Nevis, Moala, Johnson and (hopefully) Mebane sounds awesome to me. I still think Brackett is good where he is and it was a good move to re-sign him.

I agree, Brackett is "a very good player." I think his leadership and his knowledge of the game is what really helps. 21 your right, if our DT's can do a better job, our LB's won't have to put in as much work. I'm happy to say that

#58 is on our side.

I like Gary as a guy who knows the game and will play for cheap, but seriously the guy can't tackle...Glad to know it just wasn't my imagination...Read http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/6/29/2250189/2011-nfl-free-agents-colts-should-target-brendon-mebane-dt-seahawks

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/6/13/2221481/why-the-colts-defense-sucks-broken-tackles?ref=yahoo I like Gary, but there is no way our 'Defensive Captain' should be 'the 5th worst tacklers among LBs in the league'...

I liked Session...WHEN healthy. That guy was like hitting a brick wall...Nobody was getting through. Sad to see him go.

He's isn't gone yet, unless something has happened in the past hour that I don't know about! :FBcry:

Hindsight's 20-20 I'm sure Polian would like to have those Bob Sanders / Kelvin Hayden deals back

Not to overrate Brackett, but it's hard to gauge his value because, like Addai, his value to us is far greater than it would be on any other team

Very underrated, great tackler, good speed for a LB, amazing leader, a leader which you'll be hard pressed to find in the free agency market, and he's arguably the best coverage linebacker in the NFL. He is perfect for our team, even though he's not the greatest linebacker.

Archived