Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts only have 1 dropped pass?

BronxColtNYC

I just watched the Niners game again, more than one drop in that game alone.

Just because a receiver gets a hand on it does not make it a catchable ball. The ball has to be put in a certain area on the receiver before it is called catchable. I would hate to be the one who watches those films and make that determination. 

Yes, statistically the Colts have only had 1 pass that counts as a drop. They are also miles away the least penalized team in football. Their efficiency ratings as a whole are incredibly high for as a young a team as they are this early in the season. It all points to incredible coaching and team discipline.

I could swear Richardson had 2 or 3 drops alone against the Niners. The passes hit him in the hands and then the grass.

Hitting them in the hands has no bearing on whether a pass is a drop or not. Its likely considered a defended pass from tight coverage, so credit would go to the defender, or be put as QB inaccuracy for leading too much.

Hitting them in the hands has no bearing on whether a pass is a drop or not. Its likely considered a defended pass from tight coverage, so credit would go to the defender, or be put as QB inaccuracy for leading too much.

They are being very liberal with that then, because those were passes that Richardson should have easily hauled in. I'm not knocking the guy, just to be clear.

They are being very liberal with that then, because those were passes that Richardson should have easily hauled in. I'm not knocking the guy, just to be clear.

Not really, drops are usually only counted if the pass is considered perfect in every other way and the difficulty of the catch is near 0. If you can come up with any reason other than "they just dropped it", even if its a little sketchy, its not a drop.

There is no way we only have 1 dropped pass through 3 games, absolutely none. Rewind is not working right now or I would go point out 2

On the stat sheet, there is a different between should have been caught, and a statistical drop.

We have plenty of should have been caught balls, but I don't recall many technical drops.

Drops as a whole are a misleading and meh stat for the most part, especially with a lack of sample size, and really only come in to importance when extrapolated to drop %. The drops number for the colts will of course be lower, because they are a pass-light team. As the 4th best rushing team in the NFL (T-1 most rushing TD's), most of the Colts' offensive work is being done stuffing it between the tackles. Naturally this means there is less passes to be dropped.

Eric Decker and Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos have combined for 7 drops so far this season, but because they are targeted so much, their drop percentage remains relatively low (a bit above 10%). This is fine, and expected, given the amount the Broncos rely on their receivers to get their offense.

Now if you want to talk trash... Doug Martin out of the backfield for Tamba Bay has dropped 4 passes in 13 targets, a 31% drop rate that certainly wasn't helping Josh Freeman any. If you want to WR? Aaron Dobson of the New England Patriots. 4 drops in 20 attempts thrown his way, for a 20% drop rate. Clyde Gates of the Jets also has a bit of the dropsies, 3 catches and 3 drops on 13 tosses his way, 23% drop rate.

So yeah, Colts receivers are doing fine this year. If anybody else would like more drop stats, let me know while Ive still got the charts up.

On the stat sheet, there is a different between should have been caught, and a statistical drop.

We have plenty of should have been caught balls, but I don't recall many technical drops.

The average stat sheet does not record drops, ESPN alone records passes thrown to but not drops.....NFL.com dont even do that. when Rewind is running again Ill go back to the Oakland game and post the time that Wayne dropped 2 balls alone

Drops as a whole are a misleading and meh stat for the most part, especially with a lack of sample size, and really only come in to importance when extrapolated to drop %. The drops number for the colts will of course be lower, because they are a pass-light team. As the 4th best rushing team in the NFL (T-1 most rushing TD's), most of the Colts' offensive work is being done stuffing it between the tackles. Naturally this means there is less passes to be dropped.

Eric Decker and Wes Welker of the Denver Broncos have combined for 7 drops so far this season, but because they are targeted so much, their drop percentage remains relatively low (a bit above 10%). This is fine, and expected, given the amount the Broncos rely on their receivers to get their offense.

Now if you want to talk trash... Doug Martin out of the backfield for Tamba Bay has dropped 4 passes in 13 targets, a 31% drop rate that certainly wasn't helping Josh Freeman any. If you want to WR? Aaron Dobson of the New England Patriots. 4 drops in 20 attempts thrown his way, for a 20% drop rate. Clyde Gates of the Jets also has a bit of the dropsies, 3 catches and 3 drops on 13 tosses his way, 23% drop rate.

So yeah, Colts receivers are doing fine this year. If anybody else would like more drop stats, let me know while Ive still got the charts up.

where are you getting your stats

The average stat sheet does not record drops, ESPN alone records passes thrown to but not drops.....NFL.com dont even do that. when Rewind is running again Ill go back to the Oakland game and post the time that Wayne dropped 2 balls alone

The ones that do record drops are quite strict, in my opinion, in what they say constitues a drop.

Definitely a very difficult stat to track.

Drop = hits player's hands.

I agree, if the ball hits your upper body and or hand(s) the receiver should come down with it.

IMO

But the issue is just not that cut and dry.     IMO, "a drop" is the hardest stat to track in the NFL.

For instance what about WR's that get "alligator arms" ???  They don't get charged with a drop?  And a a WR that runs the wrong route and is wide open?  

But those issues are target vs catch percentage.      They are covered here, but this site does not track drops.  And that affects the efficiency %.  

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2013&*=WR&season=all

Stats are fun, sometimes they lie and sometimes they tell the truth.

I was reading an ESPN article and it says Colts only have 1 dropped pass. Is that right?

http://espn.go.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/789/get-to-know-the-indianapolis-colts

Dropped pass stats are ALWAYS wrong

They depend on opinion and what angle you were watching from

There is no such thing as an accurate dropped pass stat