Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just Throwing This Out There...

cmgww

Don't kill me here...but I had a thought.

Should we (Irsay) maybe reach out to Tony D. at season's end (or earlier) to come back and coach for Manning's last few seasons? He's had nearly 3 seasons to spend time with family...and while he said he's DONE we all know people can change their minds.

Here's why.

1. Those wanting a Gruden/Cowher/Fisher type need to realize that unless they are willing to let things stay as they are on offense (not likely), then it's going to be a 3 year transition at the least...3 years Manning doesn't have right now.

2. Bill Snyder did it at Kansas State, John Robinson at USC.. (it's college FB, so yes I know it's different)

3. I think we can all agree that Dungy was a better game manager, had great respect from his team, and at least showed a bit of emotion form time to time...He knows the system and could transition back nicely. He made in game adjustments, knew how to run the game and when to challenge, call timeouts, basically everything Caldwell's been knocked for.

4. This would upgrade the in-game coaching instantly, without blowing the whole coaching regime up and trying to rebuild from scratch in the twilight of Manning's career...

caveat: He would have to recognize the limitations of the defense he helped create and help re-shape it into a Bears style cover 2 (doesn't require a total overhaul of personnel) Also, Coyer needs to go. He flamed out in Denver and now we are seeing why. Great to start, then for some reason doesn't deliver the what he promised in later seasons

Again this is just a thought. But even as a Caldwell supporter in the past, I am now starting to see the light and realize that we need to go a different direction.

Dungy coming back for the end of the Manning era could be really great. Or it could be an implosion, as some coaching returns have been (Art Shell, though that had a lot to do with the mess that was the Raiders)....but with most of the same key players in place, Dungy's return could be viable option if he were to entertain the offer

Lastly, this is my answer to all those calling for the so called "hot" coaching candidates that are currently not employed by an NFL team. And it's a pipe dream at best, so take it for what it's worth....just wanted to throw it out there.

imo, no way...I'm glad Dungy is gone and don't want him back. We've been spending the last 2-3 years trying to get bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball...we're having to do that because Dungy is the one who brought in the players who were so ridiculously undersized.

Thats a tough one. And I'm not convinced any of those u mentioned would help either.

I'm totally confused at the moment about this team.

I'm kinda thinking we really can't plan for the future until we see what Manning plays like IF he returns next year.

I think the Colts need to plan this year as if Manning won't be back. Find a starting QB : Painter, Luck, or otherwise. If its Painter, find a guy to compete. If its Luck, Painter can get us by. If its someone else like Palmer or other vet, then fine. But we need to be IMPLEMENTING plan B and be ready for training camp. If Manning comes back, then we still have our back-up/starter ready.

Until we really know the direction (with or without Manning, its tuff to address coaching.

Of those three , Fisher would be my choice. Maybe gruden. NO WAY on Cowher... very over-rated.

I agree tho, if manning comes back, we don't want major change. At least not on Offense. If manning can't come back, then all bets are off.

Well, I've never been a big Dungy fan and IMO would be another setback. This team needs a new attitude. I think the Dungy/Caldwell attitude has made our guys complacent. This team has no killer instinct what so ever. The players would never admit it, but we need a change.

imo, no way...I'm glad Dungy is gone and don't want him back. We've been spending the last 2-3 years trying to get bigger and stronger on both sides of the ball...we're having to do that because Dungy is the one who brought in the players who were so ridiculously undersized.

Thats funny because I ws told in another post that we didnt have small players. UNBELIEVABLE

I don't see a huge difference between the two of them. Dungy obviously has more appeal with the fans for some reason, and I assume that he has better input on the defense - but as far as things like time outs, or the aggressiveness of the game plan, I fail to see the difference.

Dungy always coached as if he expected the Bucs defense to come running in for the big stop at the end. He always slowed down the offense when perhaps "putting the other team away" would have been more in keeping with our personnel. I like them both, but unless Dungy knows some way of making the defensive backfield suddenly perform better, what would be the point? (And even so, Caldwell could get the same information from him in one of their frequent phone calls).

Thats funny because I ws told in another post that we didnt have small players. UNBELIEVABLE

Jason has been consistently stating that Caldwell has increased the size of our defensive personnel. His point was that he didn't want to go BACK to that, as would be likely to happen if Dungy were brought in. What exactly are you finding so unbelievable?

I don't see a huge difference between the two of them. Dungy obviously has more appeal with the fans for some reason, and I assume that he has better input on the defense - but as far as things like time outs, or the aggressiveness of the game plan, I fail to see the difference.

Dungy always coached as if he expected the Bucs defense to come running in for the big stop at the end. He always slowed down the offense when perhaps "putting the other team away" would have been more in keeping with our personnel. I like them both, but unless Dungy knows some way of making the defensive backfield suddenly perform better, what would be the point? (And even so, Caldwell could get the same information from him in one of their frequent phone calls).

That is an excellent point, man! That is sooooo true! Imagine the numbers Manning would have put up if we had the Belickick mentality and didn't stop trying to score until inside the two-minute warning. All of those 30-35 td passing seasons would very likely have been 37-42 td seasons, and we likely wouldn't have had nearly so many close games over the years.

agree 100%. i was hoping dungy would get fired after the playoff loss to pittsburgh....

Tony is very comfortable and we have a head coach.

lollolololololololol, i see you still cant give us anything tangable. just he took us to the super bowl, he took us to the super bowl, waa polly want a cracker, he took us to the super bowl Edited by LUVTHESHOE

One out of two ain't bad.

yea we sure do need a head coach soon! i respect coach dungy, but i really feel the colts need a style

change at hc enough of this passive golly gee, we gotta get better, correctable, bla bla bla. this team has been

too SOFT for too long. so lets get an aggressive hard nose coach to change the attitude. jmo

yea we sure do need a head coach soon! i respect coach dungy, but i really feel the colts need a style

change at hc enough of this passive golly gee, we gotta get better, correctable, bla bla bla. this team has been

too SOFT for too long. so lets get an aggressive hard nose coach to change the attitude. jmo

As always, your post is devoid of football logic.

O really please elaborate, you and dn4192 are like only a hand full of people who seem to

think jim caldwell is vince lombardi and coyer is buddy ryan. please inlighten me i have coached at every

level excluding college and pros. so please feel free to tell me me were i am wrong. but please with some

data not just sarcasm, that is used when you cant debate your side.

Edited by LUVTHESHOE

O really please elaborate, you and dn4192 are like only a hand full of people who seem to

think jim caldwell is vince lombardi and coyer is buddy ryan. please inlighten me i have coached at every

level excluding college and pros. so please feel free to tell me me were i am wrong. but please with some

data not just sarcasm, that is used when you cant debate your side.

we are all waiting for you to impart your vast football wisdom on us. please give me your opinion on coach lombardi

errr caldwell all you do is tell people they are wrong and nothing to back it up with.