Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where's Wald(o)en?

lollygagger8

The guy has gotten owned almost every time he's been engaged. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt from all the naysayers when we picked him up, but I still have yet to see him set the edge like he is supposed to be good at. 

Against Dan Fran, the drive where Gore was running all over us was to the right side.....directly at Walden. Toler was getting pushed around like a rag doll as well, but Walden got owned a lot. 

Help me understand what I'm missing here. I want to like this guy, especially since we threw buckets of money at him. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy has gotten owned almost every time he's been engaged. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt from all the naysayers when we picked him up, but I still have yet to see him set the edge like he is supposed to be good at. 

Against Dan Fran, the drive where Gore was running all over us was to the right side.....directly at Walden. Toler was getting pushed around like a rag doll as well, but Walden got owned a lot. 

Help me understand what I'm missing here. I want to like this guy, especially since we threw buckets of money at him. 

Well from what I have been able to gather from reading this board and the people who think Walden is worth every penny his job is to set the edge.  And those people claim that he is very good at setting the edge.  Now, by watching his play I have concluded that setting the edge means engaging a blocker as the running back runs right past the set edge adn then turning and chasing at half speed.  Now I played and coached for a lot of years and I have never had a position description like that, but all these newfangeled NFL defenses have so many specialty type positions that I can't keep up.

I have backed Walden in previous threads, but I was not pleased with his effort against the 49ers.  As Lolly says, he did get skilled on no less than 4 occasions early.  He played better later, but I believe that was do to the pressure applied by the DBs at the line of scrimmage as 'potential support.'

While I have seen him set the edge better than the other OLBs in the previous games, I still wonder on certain plays what the defensive calls are.  He rushes 'inside' quite a bit.  Is that by design?  I think so because when he has on both the right and the left, there has normally been a corner expected to 'contain.'  That certainly did not happen in the 49er game.

All OLBs need to get better at setting the edge and understanding contain...we have some backs and QBs out to eat us for lunch if we do not do a better job.

I am simply analyzing, not criticizing a great TEAM defensive effort buy the Colts!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!

Watch #93....

Week3RunSuccess.gif

In theory he IS setting the edge and the play went inside as it should have.

My gripe has been he needs to be more aggressive in attacking mode instead of JUST keeping the play inside.  

In this play, he was able to keep the play inside for the LBs and Davis to pounce...he had two blockers coming at him.  Still would have loved to have seen more aggression toward the carrier after turning inside.

listen walden has a dirty job set the edge engage the lead block force it inside etc...where this hate comes from i dont know mathis is way worst than this at walden but nobody complains , walden is doing his jump every one not gonna get stats in the 3-4 def the MLB and ILB gets the tackles walden job is to not let anyone get out side of him , he is not perfect so sometimes he will have bad plays but take the good with the bad he is a stop gap player lol

Guest TeamLoloJones

i think at this point we should start Cam Johnson and see what he can do....cuz DHB...Toler has been better then him

I'm confused...what does this mean?

i think at this point we should start Cam Johnson and see what he can do....cuz DHB...Toler has been better then him

??????? Toler better than who?  Not getting this post at all....

We are 2-1 and just beat the Niners 27-7 in Candlestick.....the first time in how many games?  I will let Pagano and Manusky decide if Cam is anything more than Special Teams.  Cuz DHB?   :scratch:  :dunno:  :thinking:  :heh:

My gripe has been he needs to be more aggressive in attacking mode instead of JUST keeping the play inside.  

In this play, he was able to keep the play inside for the LBs and Davis to pounce...he had two blockers coming at him.  Still would have loved to have seen more aggression toward the carrier after turning inside.

listen agression leads to big gains play with in the scheme and trust your teammate to do thier job as they did , walden did as we both agree his job he forced it back inside were freeman and sheppard should be pursuing to make the tackle if walden jumps inside like mathis do all the time the edge is unsealed and gore bounces out side and MLB and ILB has more ground to cover and gore gets bigger gain 

listen agression leads to big gains play with in the scheme and trust your teammate to do thier job as they did , walden did as we both agree his job he forced it back inside were freeman and sheppard should be pursuing to make the tackle if walden jumps inside like mathis do all the time the edge is unsealed and gore bounces out side and MLB and ILB has more ground to cover and gore gets bigger gain 

Once the play is committed inside....nothing wrong with more aggression...we agree on setting the edge...it is a dirty and sometimes thankless job...when others get sacks.  It is a simple understanding of what the role is for some.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Great minds think alike at the same time :)   :funny:  haha  :spit: !!!!

haha...yeah I thought I forgot how to read for a second...good to know I'm not the only one confused by that.

Well from what I have been able to gather from reading this board and the people who think Walden is worth every penny his job is to set the edge.  And those people claim that he is very good at setting the edge.  Now, by watching his play I have concluded that setting the edge means engaging a blocker as the running back runs right past the set edge adn then turning and chasing at half speed.  Now I played and coached for a lot of years and I have never had a position description like that, but all these newfangeled NFL defenses have so many specialty type positions that I can't keep up.

Coffee, I'm an old school player too.  The game has certainly changed, but I think Brent hit it on the head.  It's not that he's not doing his job (I think), it's that he's ONLY doing his job and seems to stop, if that makes any sense.

None of us really know his assignments.  If the coaches continue to play him they obviously feel he's the best guy for the job.

I'm sure you read his comment about the famous GB/SF game last season where it looks like he was beat like a dog.  It wasn't his assignment, according to him.  I have no reason to doubt him.

Coffee, I'm an old school player too.  The game has certainly changed, but I think Brent hit it on the head.  It's not that he's not doing his job (I think), it's that he's ONLY doing his job and seems to stop, if that makes any sense.

None of us really know his assignments.  If the coaches continue to play him they obviously feel he's the best guy for the job.

I'm sure you read his comment about the famous GB/SF game last season where it looks like he was beat like a dog.  It wasn't his assignment, according to him.  I have no reason to doubt him.

I'm also old school and we don't know the assignment.  Seems like he did his containment as he must have outside responsibility and forced it inside but as you said did he continue with the play.  The play isn't over till the whistle blows!

Sarcasm aside (and not even witty sarcasm; I expect better from you, Coffee), how would you describe setting edge? 

You mean instead of going after Gore, he engaged the FB and rendered himself useless on the play? 

I'm going to do some work on Walden's game later on. Fact is, he wasn't that good against the Niners. But I also think it's unfair to take one play that he didn't look great on and criticize his entire role in the defense. And the one play you're highlighting kind of seems to me like he was supposed to drop into coverage. But I'm going to take a closer look, then we can have it out.

And also, preemptively, I don't think Walden is a great player. I think he's pretty good at setting edge, and he's sufficient in coverage. Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes. What annoys me is that he's the whipping boy (not just here, everywhere), and has been since we signed him. Rather than watching him play, people complain because he's not the pass rusher we expected Grigson to sign, or that he's making too much money, or that he was part of a bad play against Kaepernick in the playoffs last year, or that PFF doesn't like him. I personally don't care about any of that. I've watched him a lot, and come to the conclusion that he's decent at what the coaches want him to do. (His pay is also pretty well in line with what other adequate Sam backers around the league make.)

Since you're talking about his actual play, and not all the superfluous nonsense mentioned above, I think we can have a nice discussion. Should be fun.

Once the play is committed inside....nothing wrong with more aggression...we agree on setting the edge...it is a dirty and sometimes thankless job...when others get sacks.  It is a simple understanding of what the role is for some.

i agree he has a questionable motor after the edge is set i want to see that all out pursuit , but i dont know if he pose to stay out there in case gore bounce back out after going in but i agree i like to see 11 hats to the ball

??????? Toler better than who?  Not getting this post at all....

We are 2-1 and just beat the Niners 27-7 in Candlestick.....the first time in how many games?  I will let Pagano and Manusky decide if Cam is anything more than Special Teams.  Cuz DHB?   :scratch:  :dunno:  :thinking:  :heh:

naw i mean i been watching cam play during pre season and he's faster then Walden and he was pretty good....DHB i used him as an example of how people have put him down with the signing...but he's actually been doing good same with toler people was saying he was injury prone but he's being doing good too...but Walden ehhh he's been "ok" ik its still early thou

I'm going to do some work on Walden's game later on. Fact is, he wasn't that good against the Niners. But I also think it's unfair to take one play that he didn't look great on and criticize his entire role in the defense. And the one play you're highlighting kind of seems to me like he was supposed to drop into coverage. But I'm going to take a closer look, then we can have it out.

And also, preemptively, I don't think Walden is a great player. I think he's pretty good at setting edge, and he's sufficient in coverage. Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes. What annoys me is that he's the whipping boy (not just here, everywhere), and has been since we signed him. Rather than watching him play, people complain because he's not the pass rusher we expected Grigson to sign, or that he's making too much money, or that he was part of a bad play against Kaepernick in the playoffs last year, or that PFF doesn't like him. I personally don't care about any of that. I've watched him a lot, and come to the conclusion that he's decent at what the coaches want him to do. (His pay is also pretty well in line with what other adequate Sam backers around the league make.)

Since you're talking about his actual play, and not all the superfluous nonsense mentioned above, I think we can have a nice discussion. Should be fun.

I'm looking forward to the analysis.  Like you said, you can get one (or several) play from any guy in the league that makes him look bad.

Colts Authority did some work on the D and they concluded he's just not a good player.  At this point I'm just not sure.  I think we can all safely say he's no superstar.  But is he doing his job?  He may well be.

I agree it 

Totally not fair to use that one example yes, sorry. Walden still got pushed around all day (when engaged) and looked lost when "in coverage" or "just standing there". <- Maybe that's his assignment, I don't know. 

Here: 

I should've posted this from the start. The All 22 Tape From Colts Authority: 

Wald1_zpsfdf6c5a0.png

The play in question immediately succeeds Redding's great tackle - proving the former to be an isolated success on the first drive. On said first drive, runs of 22, 11, 21 and then this 13 yard touchdown were all conceded with runs to the right - directed at Erik Walden and Greg Toler. I'm not quite prepared to rag on the latter just yet, but it certainly bears watching as a potential axis of run defense doom. 

It's a draw, designed to take advantage of Mathis and Redding rushing upfield. Jerrell Freeman is highlighted in yellow for those interested, and he winds up having the C blocking him downfield. Walden on the other hand has the same TE that failed to impact the previous play, Vance McDonald. 

Wald2_zps79ee21c1.png

The call for a draw works fantastically - another TE moves to block Kelvin Sheppard on the inside, while Jonathan Goodwin moves downfield to take care of Freeman as previously stated. McDonald vs. Walden is in pink.

Wald3_zps72bdd0ce.png

As Hunter takes the handoff, the extent to which the Colts are imperiled is clear. Mathis and Redding, the two most formidable defenders in the Front 7, are out of it. You'll see what I mean regarding axis of doom here. Toler in purple, Walden in pink.

Wald4_zps59d90184.png

It's great one on one blocking near the pocket to clear a path, it must be said - and the swift moves to the second level to take care of the ILBs were perfect. Watch Toler in purple, however.

Wald6_zps6f70d3ce.png

Toler dives inside and forces Hunter to go outside against Walden - who to his credit looks to be attempting contain while occupying a blocker to free up a teammate. That or he's being blocked out of the play by the TE and doesn't know what's going on. Your call.

Wald7_zps6d9be4c7.png

Walden's completely unremarkable athletic talents don't allow him to compensate for poor timing regarding disengaging the block. Hunter is able to get position and make a beeline for the endzone

Wald8_zpse42932dd.png

Toler's notable lack of hustle to the end of the play is worthy of remark, as well. Second time in two weeks that there's been a negative on that front, so it bears watching.

RE: Walden - If he had remarkable athletic talents, it'd be easier to look over the fact that he doesn't seem to have much by way of awareness, pass rush ability or coverage ability. He seems to be completely dead weight, and given the increasing impact of Bjoern Werner, I'd be surprised to see him stay in the lineup or on the roster if he continues to play like this. (If you're a glutton for punishment, here's more on Walden and the defense from the perenially excellent Kyle Rodriguez.)

You mean instead of going after Gore, he engaged the FB and rendered himself useless on the play? 

For the 3-4 defense to work, every player must keep his assignment. Since this is a two-gap system, if one player along the defensive line fails to do his job, the entire defense will break down.Strong side (Sam) Outside Linebacker: They play on the strong side of defense every play. Since most offenses are right-handed, the Sam OLB generally lines up on the left side of the defense. They have to be strong at the point of attack because they take on the tight end and fullbacks, who tries to run block them, and they also need the ability to cover that tight end. The Sam's primary focus is run defense while dropping into coverage. They rarely line up head to head versus an offensive tackle and pass rush. Instead, the defensive coordinator draws up schemes where they might blitz.

Let me be clear on the post i made....I used DHB and Toler as examples of players we signed this off season where people were questioning the signings along with Walden and so far i think both Toler and DHB has stepped up and been pretty decent....heck i even been hearing RJF name get called in games more the walden for making a play....And as far as Cam...he's faster then Walden two main things walden lacks is speed and awareness....Maybe Cam can get to the QB faster then walden can to put more pressure on the Qbs...basically im saying SO FAR everybody has stepped up except for walden...i seen more highlights this year of him getting burned then making a play.....it's still early thou..if he turns it around i'll take back everything.... but SO FAR...ehhhhh

Here: 

Wald1_zpsfdf6c5a0.png

The play in question immediately succeeds Redding's great tackle - proving the former to be an isolated success on the first drive. On said first drive, runs of 22, 11, 21 and then this 13 yard touchdown were all conceded with runs to the right - directed at Erik Walden and Greg Toler. I'm not quite prepared to rag on the latter just yet, but it certainly bears watching as a potential axis of run defense doom. 

It's a draw, designed to take advantage of Mathis and Redding rushing upfield. Jerrell Freeman is highlighted in yellow for those interested, and he winds up having the C blocking him downfield. Walden on the other hand has the same TE that failed to impact the previous play, Vance McDonald. 

Wald2_zps79ee21c1.png

The call for a draw works fantastically - another TE moves to block Kelvin Sheppard on the inside, while Jonathan Goodwin moves downfield to take care of Freeman as previously stated. McDonald vs. Walden is in pink.

Wald3_zps72bdd0ce.png

As Hunter takes the handoff, the extent to which the Colts are imperiled is clear. Mathis and Redding, the two most formidable defenders in the Front 7, are out of it. You'll see what I mean regarding axis of doom here. Toler in purple, Walden in pink.

Wald4_zps59d90184.png

It's great one on one blocking near the pocket to clear a path, it must be said - and the swift moves to the second level to take care of the ILBs were perfect. Watch Toler in purple, however.

Wald6_zps6f70d3ce.png

Toler dives inside and forces Hunter to go outside against Walden - who to his credit looks to be attempting contain while occupying a blocker to free up a teammate. That or he's being blocked out of the play by the TE and doesn't know what's going on. Your call.

Wald7_zps6d9be4c7.png

Walden's completely unremarkable athletic talents don't allow him to compensate for poor timing regarding disengaging the block. Hunter is able to get position and make a beeline for the endzone

Wald8_zpse42932dd.png

Toler's notable lack of hustle to the end of the play is worthy of remark, as well. Second time in two weeks that there's been a negative on that front, so it bears watching.

RE: Walden - If he had remarkable athletic talents, it'd be easier to look over the fact that he doesn't seem to have much by way of awareness, pass rush ability or coverage ability. He seems to be completely dead weight, and given the increasing impact of Bjoern Werner, I'd be surprised to see him stay in the lineup or on the roster if he continues to play like this. (If you're a glutton for punishment, here's more on Walden and the defense from the perenially excellent Kyle Rodriguez.)

we not saying walden is the future just stop gap but , we are saying did he do his job in that game set the edge some people go above and beyond other do the bare minimal  

I too am looking forward to the analysis....on this one they are playing the run...see Vontae.  Walden was in a position to turn the play inside facing two blockers...

Let us know when your analysis is up and on.  should be fun!!   :thmup:

Here: 

Wald1_zpsfdf6c5a0.png

Wald2_zps79ee21c1.png

Wald3_zps72bdd0ce.png

Wald4_zps59d90184.png

Wald6_zps6f70d3ce.png

Wald7_zps6d9be4c7.png

Wald8_zpse42932dd.png

Just to give some feedback, when you're analyzing a Sam backer on a draw play, things are going to be slanted against him. He will often read the snap and determine whether he comes ahead to defend the run or drops into coverage. The draw is designed to get him out of position.

He didn't play it well. This is the play I had in mind when I said he didn't have a good game. But any given draw play in any given game is going to be the Sam backer's worst film, unless he's just an outstanding playmaker. And while I defend his merits, Walden is NOT an outstanding playmaker.

Just to give some feedback, when you're analyzing a Sam backer on a draw play, things are going to be slanted against him. He will often read the snap and determine whether he comes ahead to defend the run or drops into coverage. The draw is designed to get him out of position.

He didn't play it well. This is the play I had in mind when I said he didn't have a good game. But any given draw play in any given game is going to be the Sam backer's worst film, unless he's just an outstanding playmaker. And while I defend his merits, Walden is NOT an outstanding playmaker.

Agreed 

Sarcasm aside (and not even witty sarcasm; I expect better from you, Coffee), how would you describe setting edge? 

Oh come on, my comment was pretty witty.

Best guy for the job this year does not mean best guy for the job or even that he is doing his job well.  That just means they have no other choice... similar to Justice playing RT last year... he may have been the best RT on the Colts but that doesn't mean he was playing the position well.

To set the edge he needs to alter the path of the running back, either way... force the runner to cut it back inside where there is no whole or string it wide to give the rest of the D a chance to come to the ball.  Additionally he needs to maintain his body control so he can come off the block and help contain the running In that clip posted and in other examples that I have seen most times he just runs into a blocker and that is not a specialist, any league minimum guy at 230lbs+ could do that.

Lastly to the, "it wasn't his assignment." to me that is like Baskett saying, "I heard refs saying blue ball, blue ball."  On D, every players assignment is to tackle the ball carrier when he's in front of you, not stand there and let him run past you.

I've been harsh on Walden the first 2 weeks, however I fail to see how it's reasonable to call anyone out on defense for their performance against the 49ers.  The entire defense failed miserably on the TD drive, but completely shut down the 49ers the rest of the time.  The gif that lollygagger posted looks like Walden did exactly what Pagano says his job is.  Set the edge, forced Gore back inside to the rest of the defense.  The rest of the defense didn't tackle quite as aggressively on that particular play as one might hope and Walden doesn't have a lot of awareness once he's set the edge, but he did his primary job perfectly in that play.

All that being said, Werner is the future and I fully expect him to be starting for Walden before the season is over.  Remember that Walden can be cut at the end of the year with no dead money if I understand his contract correctly.

Oh come on, my comment was pretty witty.

Best guy for the job this year does not mean best guy for the job or even that he is doing his job well. That just means they have no other choice... similar to Justice playing RT last year... he may have been the best RT on the Colts but that doesn't mean he was playing the position well.

To set the edge he needs to alter the path of the running back, either way... force the runner to cut it back inside where there is no whole or string it wide to give the rest of the D a chance to come to the ball. Additionally he needs to maintain his body control so he can come off the block and help contain the running In that clip posted and in other examples that I have seen most times he just runs into a blocker and that is not a specialist, any league minimum guy at 230lbs+ could do that.

Lastly to the, "it wasn't his assignment." to me that is like Baskett saying, "I heard refs saying blue ball, blue ball." On D, every players assignment is to tackle the ball carrier when he's in front of you, not stand there and let him run past you.

If he goes after the guy with the ball on a read option, he hesitates, is out of position and its adios muchacho. That's why he is here. Its more complicated than "get the guy with the ball." You do that in pee wee.

He has played decent IMO. You surely are very down on Mathis`s edge play right?

They have a good power game. Lots of blockers came his way.

He did a perfect job on run one, engaging his blocker, turning the run in.

On #2 he definitely got fooled. But so did Sheppard who could have gotten outside to attempt to turn it in. Safety Bethea was no where to be found.

On #3 that was a very nicely executed draw. The blocking was excellent in space. Freeman nor Sheppard was even near the middle to have effect, catching Wald in space.  Walden might have turned or tackled him on about the seven if he had gotten off his blocker, but he didn`t. Gore made a VN cut to the outside.  Gore would have been hitting into Toler near the six if he had gone up the middle.

What is the average salary for Waldens position please? We had to bid for him in an open market, he got next to no bonus, and has set his edge better than Mathis. He has played OK 3 games into our system.

Keep worrying I guess. Kinda wonder if you appreciate what he is supposed to do on the edge!

Hopefully all our guys will improve by getiing coached up & playing together. :thmsup:

Homers were excited about our top 7 whatever D and our New great O-Line based on stats.