Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Are Fans Scared Of The Idea Of The Colts Drafting Luck?

You play the odds. The chances of Luck being able to lead this team for the next day are much higher then having a injuried 36+ year old QB with a questionable front line due it. Please feel free to list all those 36+ year old non mobile QB's to lead their teams to either the Superbowl or the NFL championship game in the game's history.

Non-mobile is subjective.

Kurt Warner, age 37 - Super Bowl XLIII

Rich Gannon, age 37 - Super Bowl XXXVII

Jim Plunkett, age 36 - Super Bowl XVIII

Johnny Unitas, age 37 - Super Bowl V (led his team there, didn't finish the game. But that's not what was asked)

It's not a big list. Staubach, Tarkenton, and Elway (twice) made it as well, but they were more or less mobile.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have a lot better chance at making an immediate impact than a QB who will sit on the bench until Manning is done. Also, if injuries are one of our biggest issues, then wouldn't bringing in the biggest group of young impact players be one of the best ways to combat the injury bug?

Yeah, kinda like the other first round draft picks we have sitting behind other starters until they are done, for example, Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes, etc.

You play the odds. The chances of Luck being able to lead this team for the next day are much higher then having a injuried 36+ year old QB with a questionable front line due it. Please feel free to list all those 36+ year old non mobile QB's to lead their teams to either the Superbowl or the NFL championship game in the game's history.

lol...I missed this the first time around....aren't the Superbowl and the NFL Championship game...kind of the same thing?

Yeah, kinda like the other first round draft picks we have sitting behind other starters until they are done, for example, Donald Brown, Jerry Hughes, etc.

They do get at least some playing time. However I stated a few times in other threads I was never a fan of the Brown or Hughes picks because imo you don't use the first round to pick backups, not if you need an upgrade at pretty much any starting position. Even more ludicrous to me would be to spend a #1 overall pick on a 3-4 year backup, but that's just me (well not just me...there are many who also agree) :)

lol...I missed this the first time around....aren't the Superbowl and the NFL Championship game...kind of the same thing?

Kinda, before their was a superbowl you had the NFL Championship game, a litle different overall structure of who played in it andhow they got there.

Kinda, before there was a superbowl you had the NFL Championship game, a litle different overall structure of who played in it andhow they got there.

I will admit you caught me off guard with this one....my apologies for making an assumption.

:)

They do get at least some playing time. However I stated a few times in other threads I was never a fan of the Brown or Hughes picks because imo you don't use the first round to pick backups, not if you need an upgrade at pretty much any starting position. Even more ludicrous to me would be to spend a #1 overall pick on a 3-4 year backup, but that's just me (well not just me...there are many who also agree) :)

O ok, I didn't approve of them either. I understand where you are coming from though, and let me say, neither side of this argument is wrong. It comes down to the which fans prefer more picks or which fans prefer one player. IMO, I prefer the one player IN THIS SITUATION because this is a once in a lifetime player. Now if it was anybody else, I would say forget it and trade the pick for more picks, but since this is the most nfl ready QB since our own, i feel have to take the risk instead of being conservative. I am a die hard Colts fan, and I feel being conservative has lost us chances we will never get back.

How often do the teams getting to pick in the No. 1 Slot are in the situation that the Colts are in and have possibly a good QB who has the ability to teach his replacement for a couple of seasons.

lets see how that works:

hold this clip board, watch me read the defense and then you do it in 4 seasons.

no, I think not.

Players learn by being in the game and having hands on experience, competative players want to play, they don't ride the pine

lets see how that works:

hold this clip board, watch me read the defense and then you do it in 4 seasons.

no, I think not.

Players learn by being in the game and having hands on experience, competative players want to play, they don't ride the pine

Really...have you seen Aaron Rogers? and it won't be four years, it will be two at most 3, the Era of Manning is coming to a close embrace the "Luck".

Because it is a waste of a pick when you could draft other players instead.

It's a waste to draft the highest rated QB to come out since Peyton and to draft the highest rated player in this year's draft? How is that a waste when it's also a need this franchise needs to address.

Peyton manning is not placed on IR so that the front office can evaluate his health and ability when he returns to practive with the team this year. He may not play any games, but the front office will definately want to see how he is progressing. If they see a completely healthy Manning, they will trade the pick for more future draft picks. If they feel that he is not healthy and they project a decline in his ability, they will draft Luck with the intantion of playing him sooner, rather than later. He would not sit there holding a clip board for 4-5 years. It all depends on the projection of Manning's health.

Really...have you seen Aaron Rogers? and it won't be four years, it will be two at most 3, the Era of Manning is coming to a close embrace the "Luck".

It's a waste to draft the highest rated QB to come out since Peyton and to draft the highest rated player in this year's draft? How is that a waste when it's also a need this franchise needs to address.

I repeat, if he's the highest rated QB to come out since Peyton then there's no way it takes him 2 years, 3 tops. His whole selling point is he'll be ready day 1. If you want a QB who will be ready in 2 years, 3 tops then you go to a later round and draft a "project" QB. One who has all of the physical and mental abilities but just hasn't been coached well enough to put them together. The very fact you can say in one post Luck will be ready in 3 years tops and then in another say he's the best QB since Peyton (who was a day 1 starter and Luck likely will be as well, just not here ;) ) is utterly baffling. That's like buying instant mashed potatoes that take 3 hours to cook.

Peyton manning is not placed on IR so that the front office can evaluate his health and ability when he returns to practive with the team this year. He may not play any games, but the front office will definately want to see how he is progressing. If they see a completely healthy Manning, they will trade the pick for more future draft picks. If they feel that he is not healthy and they project a decline in his ability, they will draft Luck with the intantion of playing him sooner, rather than later. He would not sit there holding a clip board for 4-5 years. It all depends on the projection of Manning's health.

He is 35 years old with a very serious injury, there is no question his skills are going to decline, you don't get better with age. The question isn't are his skills going to decline, but how fast.

I repeat, if he's the highest rated QB to come out since Peyton then there's no way it takes him 2 years, 3 tops. His whole selling point is he'll be ready day 1. If you want a QB who will be ready in 2 years, 3 tops then you go to a later round and draft a "project" QB. One who has all of the physical and mental abilities but just hasn't been coached well enough to put them together. The very fact you can say in one post Luck will be ready in 3 years tops and then in another say he's the best QB since Peyton (who was a day 1 starter and Luck likely will be as well, just not here ;) ) is utterly baffling. That's like buying instant mashed potatoes that take 3 hours to cook.

There is no QB to ever come out of college who is "ready" to play in the NFL their first season. There are those teams who throw their draft pick out there because he is there best option. But smart teams draft their QB and let him learn. Again, look at GB and where Aaron Rogers is now.

There is no QB to ever come out of college who is "ready" to play in the NFL their first season. There are those teams who throw their draft pick out there because he is there best option. But smart teams draft their QB and let him learn. Again, look at GB and where Aaron Rogers is now.

No no...that's exactly what the hype around Luck is all about...the guy who you're taking expert's opinions on no questions asked. If the experts are saying that he's NFL ready from day 1 then who are you to disagree....just like you say who am I to disagree with what those experts say about him being the best QB in the draft. You can't have it both ways. Either he's the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning and he's, as the "experts" say NFL ready from day one...or he's a project QB who will take 2-3 years to develop. If there is any reason to think he's a project then he's not worth the #1 pick. If he's worth the #1 pick, then there's no way (historically speaking) that he sits on the bench for 2-3 years (even longer if he came to the Colts for reasons previously explained about Manning's contract).

So which is it? He needs 2-3 years to be NFL ready (which is NOT what your experts say) or he's the best prospect and most NFL-ready QB since Peyton Manning. Can't have it both ways. ;)

ps. for the millionth time the Rodgers comparison is invalid. They got Rodgers for much less than the Colts would get Luck....and Favre didn't have an additional 4 years on his contract with $90 mill guaranteed

Edited by Jason

ps. for the millionth time the Rodgers comparison is invalid. They got Rodgers for much less than the Colts would get Luck....and Favre didn't have an additional 4 years on his contract with $90 mill guaranteed

I often jump into the Rodgers comparison to point out that the ONLY reason that the Packers drafted Rodgers was because Favre had just started with his ridiculous "maybe I'll retire, we'll see how I feel in 3 months" dance. AND because Rodgers plunged in the draft - sitting uncomfortably in the green room for hours after he was expecting to be selected.

If Favre had demonstrated Peyton's resolve and competitive fire I would be willing to bet that they would have used the pick to help build a better team to support him in another SB run. And obviously if a couple of dozen other teams had been paying attention, Rodgers wouldn't have even been available. It was a unique situation, and has very little to do with where the Colts are now.

Edited by MAC

I often jump into the Rodgers comparison to point out that the ONLY reason that the Packers drafted Rodgers was because Favre had just started with his ridiculous "maybe I'll retire, we'll see how I feel in 3 months" dance.

I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that dance has finally come to an end. lol

The sad thing is the Rodgers comparison, as far off as it is, is still closer to the other oft-used Steve Young scenario.

I often jump into the Rodgers comparison to point out that the ONLY reason that the Packers drafted Rodgers was because Favre had just started with his ridiculous "maybe I'll retire, we'll see how I feel in 3 months" dance. AND because Rodgers plunged in the draft - sitting uncomfortably in the green room for hours after he was expecting to be selected.

If Favre had demonstrated Peyton's resolve and competitive fire I would be willing to bet that they would have used the pick to help build a better team to support him in another SB run. And obviously if a couple of dozen other teams had been paying attention, Rodgers wouldn't have even been available. It was a unique situation, and has very little to do with where the Colts are now.

Could it have been the fact that the player will get old and his skills will begin to erode?The time is coming for peyton,you must be prepared.

No no...that's exactly what the hype around Luck is all about...the guy who you're taking expert's opinions on no questions asked. If the experts are saying that he's NFL ready from day 1 then who are you to disagree....just like you say who am I to disagree with what those experts say about him being the best QB in the draft. You can't have it both ways. Either he's the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning and he's, as the "experts" say NFL ready from day one...or he's a project QB who will take 2-3 years to develop. If there is any reason to think he's a project then he's not worth the #1 pick. If he's worth the #1 pick, then there's no way (historically speaking) that he sits on the bench for 2-3 years (even longer if he came to the Colts for reasons previously explained about Manning's contract).

So which is it? He needs 2-3 years to be NFL ready (which is NOT what your experts say) or he's the best prospect and most NFL-ready QB since Peyton Manning. Can't have it both ways. ;)

No QB is NFL ready their first year, Peyton wasn't, Rogers wasn't, Brady wasn't. Is he more prepared then others, sure, but there are huge differences between the two games. Hey if he can come in, pick up things in 1 season, great, just that sooner we can cut ties with Peyton and move on, but I still would allow at least 2 seasons to sit, watch and learn then move to him in 2014.

You sure about that guaranteed money Jason?

"It is much too early to predict what will happen, but the Colts can get out of Peyton Manning's contract after one year and $26 million without any other money being guaranteed", a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

I've heard several other reports that say we can settle out of the remaining 3 years of Manning's contract for 26 million under a club option.

If Luck is NFL ready from day 1 when he's in the league, then the teams that need a QB right now are going to be trading their arms and legs to get him.

What I could see happening is a team that doesn't need a QB taking him to see if they can trade him away to a team for more draft picks.

Jim irsay compared luck coming here to the rodgers farve situation.Factor in the new rookie wage scale and the fact that peyton may not finish that contract.Heck dungy said on nbc he would not be surprised if peyton played just one more year.

I don't put any stock in anything Dungy says. He's the same guy that said Peyton would never miss game 1. He's not part of the Colts inside organization anymore, he's the media. No way Colts FO is going to share anything inside about Manning's situation with the media.

Could it have been the fact that the player will get old and his skills will begin to erode?The time is coming for peyton,you must be prepared.

Again, no one is saying not to be prepared, simply pointing out that it's not Luck or no one. There are other options, several other options.

You sure about that guaranteed money Jason?

"It is much too early to predict what will happen, but the Colts can get out of Peyton Manning's contract after one year and $26 million without any other money being guaranteed", a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

I've heard several other reports that say we can settle out of the remaining 3 years of Manning's contract for 26 million under a club option.

Honestly no I'm not...in the first post where I referred to Manning's contract (don't remember what page it's on) I said the info I was supplying is simply what I found. The sites I found were typical NFL reporting sites, but don't know how "official" the information they're providing is. :)

Regarding the Favre situation, I do not believe that they were looking to replace Favre before he starting hinting about retirement. My wife likes him and the Packers, so I was paying more attention to the situation at the time than many Colts fans. Perhaps they would have taken Rodgers regardless because they felt he was too good to pass up, but there is no reason to think that they went into that draft with the intention of drafting one.

Personally I think that the expectation of replacing Peyton and having a seamless transition is unrealistic. I would be more than happy to see them play out the string with Peyton as long as they can, have a really bad year or two after he retires, and start all over again. People are acting as if it is normal to slide from one franchise QB to another, when in actuality it is virtually unheard of. Aikman, Elway, Marino and others have YET to be replaced. For the teams to have started trying to groom their replacements 3-4 years earlier wouldn't have changed a darn thing, other than to weaken the team short term.

That being said, if the Colts front office feels that an absolutely exceptional QB is available when they draft, sure take him. But any team could say that in any year. What I don't like is the thought that we HAVE take one now. The fact is that if Peyton is healthy, we don't. I think that so much of Peyton's game is cerebral, and that he is so competitive that he may well play LONGER than his current contract. What I don't want to see is a new QB destroy the final years of Peyton's career the way Rodgers impacted Favres. Four years is an utter eternity in the NFL - anything can happen.

Are you saying he is only good because he watched favre for 4 years? How do you have proof that it made him better? has he said that?

Favre didn't teach rogers a thing, that is well documented. they don't get along, and have a horrible relationship. That is a fact. What you say, is opinion only

Rogers also inheirited a really freakin good team around him

It'll be really funny if we draft luck and continue to fizzle out in the playoffs because the defense can't get off the field on third down...........which everyone on the this board will complain about.......especially if by drafting luck we miss out on some great defensive talent...........or if in lucks first game as colt the swiss cheese o-line miss a block and end lucks season after which he is never quite the same............I would much rather take care of some the other holes on the team and hang around in the middle of pack a few seasons if that is what it takes to make a more COMPLETE TEAM and not just a team that relies on it's QB only.........and i am well aware that there is no guarantee either way the team goes........FA isn't good enough cause I wouldn't want some high dollar sloppy seconds and end up with another corey simon...........

Jason i think you would better luck banging your head against a tree or trying to explain this to paris hilton.

Basically the draft will come down to position. Personally I don't think the Colts will have the number 1 pick as that will go to Miami who will take Luck, that leaves the Colts with either 2 or 3. If that is the case then you trade down without question and pick up the other picks. I also don't waste any pick on any of the other QB's available this season because none are "that" much better then what you can get any other season for the most part. Luck is special, something that doesn't come around very often thus the reason why unless you are say a very small amount of NFL teams you have to take him. But when it's all said and done, the Colts don't suck enough to get Luck....which is really sad.

Here is what people are missing in this equation. MONEY IS NOT A ISSUE IF WE SIGN LUCK.

Do your research and realize that with the new rookie wage scale, Luck won't be getting the insane amount of money that players such as Jammarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf got in the past. He would in all likelyhood get a good deal of money but with the larger portion of that money coming in the later years of his contract so that we would still have a decent amount of cap room the next 2-3-4 years with Peyton.

People say Luck wouldn't want to sit for 3-4 years and "waste" the start of his career. I see it as the opposite. There are so many QB's in the league and in college that would be foaming at the mouth for the opportunuity to learn from Peyton. Don't believe me? Go back and watch some of the early interviews when Kerry Collins first was signed here and see how crazy excited he sounded to be here and have the chance to learn from Peyton and pick his brain. I believe with how Luck has shown himself to be from a maturity standpoint he wouldn't have much of an issue sitting behind Peyton. After all, it was Peyton who told him to wait another year which he did.

The same applies for Peyton. Peyton realizes he is coming into the homestrech of his career and isn't on the same selfish level that Favre showed himself to be with Rodgers. He already has made it a point to really teach Curtis this system and do everything thats possible to help this team. While Tom Brady dipped out to California to immediately start his rehab and not be with the team in 2008, Peyton has done everything in his power to help this team from gameplanning to sideline help this year.

If we also have the #1 pick we will be picking a lot higher in the draft in rounds 2-7 than we have in the past; allowing us to get substantially better players across the board.

People also make the arguement that we simply should just trade away the pick and get more picks. The problem with that is Peyton only has 3-4 years left. Rookie draft picks dont often come in and have an immediate impact especially DT's which is our highest player need at this point. We might actually have to go into Free Agency for once if we really want to sign a few good players to make an immediate impact.

Reggie and Mathis and Garcon will be re-signed. Everyone else is up in the air at this point.

Edited by Adam Noucateri

Here is what people are missing in this equation. MONEY IS NOT A ISSUE IF WE SIGN LUCK.

Do your research and realize that with the new rookie wage scale, Luck won't be getting the insane amount of money that players such as Jammarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf got in the past. He would in all likelyhood get a good deal of money but with the larger portion of that money coming in the later years of his contract so that we would still have a decent amount of cap room the next 2-3-4 years with Peyton.

People say Luck wouldn't want to sit for 3-4 years and "waste" the start of his career. I see it as the opposite. There are so many QB's in the league and in college that would be foaming at the mouth for the opportunuity to learn from Peyton. Don't believe me? Go back and watch some of the early interviews when Kerry Collins first was signed here and see how crazy excited he sounded to be here and have the chance to learn from Peyton and pick his brain. I believe with how Luck has shown himself to be from a maturity standpoint he wouldn't have much of an issue sitting behind Peyton. After all, it was Peyton who told him to wait another year which he did.

The same applies for Peyton. Peyton realizes he is coming into the homestrech of his career and isn't on the same selfish level that Favre showed himself to be with Rodgers. He already has made it a point to really teach Curtis this system and do everything thats possible to help this team. While Tom Brady dipped out to California to immediately start his rehab and not be with the team in 2008, Peyton has done everything in his power to help this team from gameplanning to sideline help this year.

If we also have the #1 pick we will be picking a lot higher in the draft in rounds 2-7 than we have in the past; allowing us to get substantially better players across the board.

People also make the arguement that we simply should just trade away the pick and get more picks. The problem with that is Peyton only has 3-4 years left. Rookie draft picks dont often come in and have an immediate impact especially DT's which is our highest player need at this point. We might actually have to go into Free Agency for once if we really want to sign a few good players to make an immediate impact.

Reggie and Mathis and Garcon will be re-signed. Everyone else is up in the air at this point.

Everything you said has been mentioned multiple times, but for those who don't want Luck nothing is going to change their minds no matter what. Some just refuse to see how much better he is than the other QB options available and that is just their opinion. I agree with you in the respect that I have no doubt that Luck would have no problem what so ever sitting behind Manning for a while because of his level of maturity. IMO there is absolutely no downside to taking Luck if we had the opportunity, we could use the rest of the picks to address other area's of need since all the other picks would still be pretty high picks and you also have your future face of the franchise. I still say that if(and thats probably a big if) they have the 1st pick, that there is no chance they will pass on Luck for a few extra picks, who I might add, also are no guarantee to be good either.

Edited by Balzer40

If your #1 overall pick QB who's "the greatest prospect in 15 years" isn't ready to start after 1 year then he's not the QB prospect you thought he was going to be and he was in no way worth a #1 overall pick. The whole hype around Luck is primarily because of him being NFL ready from day 1. That means all those experts you're listening to to know how good he is says he'll be ready to be a pro starter in the first game of his career, but now you're saying he won't be ready for 2 years? Honestly I'm having trouble putting to words how baffled I am right now. :dunno:

Let me try to simplify it for you:

If "the greatest prospect in 15 years" is drafted by a team with Joe Schmoo as their QB, he starts on day-1

If "the greatest prospect in 15 years" is drafted by the team with " the greatest QB", he sits until retirement in 2-3years

I dont agree, i think money is an issue... Look, i honestly dont know what to think, for the future luck is the best choice No doubt about it, but think about it.

there is areason why pollian/irsay were so publicly trying to pressure manning to agree to a deal of less than 22 million, you cant compete with 10% of your cap room tied to 1 position...which is exactly what would happen if we draft Luck. Peyton cap hit next year would be 17 Mill (I think), and if you consider cam newton's deal which is arround 4 millions, it means Luck would get something around 4.25-4.50 million...which is around 21 Million, or 10% of your cap space, tied to 2 players OR 1 position...we would be in the same situation, which the colts smartly tried to avoid.

As i said im 50 50, corners (as other poster already said) can be found in every draft, luck types of talent cannot. But it also means no cap space for all the OBVIOUS needs this team has, and Luck WILL NOT solve that. the only thing that i think could be done is to bassically get rid of most veteran such as mathis,wayne,diem,saturday,bracket, even Moala (who is young but is probably looking for a raise), bullit and some more (which wouldnt be taht bad since i dont think, besides wayne and mathis, deserve another deal), and replace them with rookies which because of the rookie wage scale would take significantly less money/cap. but that would mean practically building for the future, which i dont think would be fare to manning and current veterans like freeney and fans.,who would see perhaps the latest years of one of the GOAT down the drain.

i think if they draft Luck, it probably means Manning will only play 1 more year with us or maybe 2. could be and hope i am wrong.

i just dont think its as easy as people are making it to be, take the best prospect since manning and let him learn behind the goat for a few years..theres a lot more involved, not to mention that probably by year 2 some fans will already be talking for luck to start. media circrus

Everything you said has been mentioned multiple times, but for those who don't want Luck nothing is going to change their minds no matter what. Some just refuse to see how much better he is than the other QB options available and that is just their opinion.

Thank you for pointing out that the cap situation has already been mentioned multiple times. :) And while I'm not trying to go back down the back and forth with you I simply want to point out....I'm not "refusing" to see anything. It is, however, my belief and personal opinion that Luck is not that much better than the other top QB prospects, just like it is your belief that he is. I have every intention though of continuing to watch every Stanford game I get the chance to so that I can continue my own personal evaluation on him...which of course in the end is worthless just like everyone's on here because the decision is far out of our hands. :)

Lets say we have the no. 1 pick and don't draft Luck, he whomever that pick is will get X amount, and that amount would be the same as Luck would get. Lets say we trade it for picks, then you now have how many more players you have to pay for? Money is an issue, but not the issue it was pre new agreement. Again this comes down to fear. The fear in that there are fans who don't want the Manning era to come to an end. A fear that this team will go back to it's pre manning play without him and that no one can fill his shows. Or the fear that the great Manning will be ran out of town or forced to retire early. Take a deep breath...release the fear and all will be goood.

i just dont think its as easy as people are making it to be, take the best prospect since manning and let him learn behind the goat for a few years..theres a lot more involved, not to mention that probably by year 2 some fans will already be talking for luck to start. media circrus

If Luck is ready come season two, I mean really ready...hello Mr. Manning...this is a clipboard get use to it.

Thank you for pointing out that the cap situation has already been mentioned multiple times. :) And while I'm not trying to go back down the back and forth with you I simply want to point out....I'm not "refusing" to see anything. It is, however, my belief and personal opinion that Luck is not that much better than the other top QB prospects, just like it is your belief that he is. I have every intention though of continuing to watch every Stanford game I get the chance to so that I can continue my own personal evaluation on him...which of course in the end is worthless just like everyone's on here because the decision is far out of our hands. :)

It's just not ours, it's everyone who reviews college players. Look through all the sources, everyone has Luck leaps and bounds better then any other QB in this draft and is viewed as one of the top prospects to come out since Peyton. Are you saying they all are wrong? If you can find me any qualified person whose job it is to review/evaluate and project college players onto the NFL level that isn't that strong on Luck....please give me their web address and I will review it and maybe change my opinion.

Lets say we have the no. 1 pick and don't draft Luck, he whomever that pick is will get X amount, and that amount would be the same as Luck would get. Lets say we trade it for picks, then you now have how many more players you have to pay for? Money is an issue, but not the issue it was pre new agreement. Again this comes down to fear. The fear in that there are fans who don't want the Manning era to come to an end. A fear that this team will go back to it's pre manning play without him and that no one can fill his shows. Or the fear that the great Manning will be ran out of town or forced to retire early. Take a deep breath...release the fear and all will be goood.

yes the money would anyways get used im not arguing that... but that would be money spent on players who could help the team right away.and as i said, im not even opposed to drafting him, im 50 50 i see both ways...but i dont think its as easy as people have made it out to be.

this has nothing do with fear of the end of manning, it has to do with not having the cap space to field a competitive team.