Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Are Fans Scared Of The Idea Of The Colts Drafting Luck?

Lets face it. I love Indy. But I'm realistic. We are a smaller market trying to compete with the big boys. And our location isn't the most desired place for a young athlete out of college, we aren't an amazing state like the east coast or west coast can offer for lifestyle of these guys. We have couple of sportsbars and a couple of good steakhouses and a whole lot of cornfields. no beach, no parties, no big events besides the Indy500. I love Indiana because i grew up and have family there, but if given a choice, it would never be at the top of anyone's list, its too boring.

Ah ok I get you. I thought you were saying players didn't want to come and play for the Colts but rather you were saying players didn't want to come to the city of Indy. I'll admit, Indy isn't the most exciting city in the US, but imo the success of the franchise would far outweigh that for most prospects. :)

Edited by Jason

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean what is the downside of addressing a major need long term for this franchise with possibly the next great NFL QB? Now sure it's a risk, it was a risk when the Colts took Peyton, but if you go off all the information you have, your odds are pretty good that Luck will be what many think he will be and that is a high quality - great NFL QB. So again why are people so scared?

Have you seen the rest of our team? We need SO MUCH work in other places it's not funny. a QB is the least of our worries.

Have you seen the rest of our team? We need SO MUCH work in other places it's not funny. a QB is the least of our worries.

Our team will be fine next year. Everyone is just down and depressed because of Manning. There will be a 2nd coming next year. And with Luck in the line-up to split games up for Manning, it will lighten his load and extend his career for us. Without Luck, we waste Manning for his last 2 years and nothing happens. At least with Luck we have a chance to extend Peyton's career.

i still dont see where people are getting 4 more years with peyton. It was four years left on peyton before the injury. Peyton will probably be our qb for 2 -3 more years

Time will tell. If the front office really believes that, then they take Luck. If they don't they trade him away.

Our team will be fine next year. Everyone is just down and depressed because of Manning. There will be a 2nd coming next year. And with Luck in the line-up to split games up for Manning, it will lighten his load and extend his career for us. Without Luck, we waste Manning for his last 2 years and nothing happens. At least with Luck we have a chance to extend Peyton's career.

LOL...wow so now Andrew Luck is so great he's going to extend Peyton's career? 1) Why would Luck want to extend Manning's career? That just means it'll be that much longer before Luck bets to become "the man". 2) Why can't Painter or another drafted QB also come in and "relieve" Manning in 4th Quarters? And this assumes that Manning and the coaches would even want someone to relieve Manning. I do think it would be a good idea in games that have already been decided because it would give the new, young QB in-game experience but I don't think they would do this unless the game is already well in-hand.

I swear some of these arguments for drafting Luck are just getting ridiculous.

Edited by Jason

Yeah, that is just the most bizarre argument I've seen in a while. I don't even know how to respond.

I'm not even going to try to read through this entire thread, but I would take Luck as being "the next great NFL QB" or "the most NFL ready QB ever" with a huge grain of salt. There are no guarantees in the NFL draft. I'm sure Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, LaMarcus Russell, etc etc have been brought up, ad nauseum.

I will point out, though, that it's these same experts that said that Matt Leinert was "the most NFL ready QB" and "the surest bet" his year. Also came from a pro-style, NFL ready offense at USC. How did that one turn out?

I'm not even going to try to read through this entire thread, but I would take Luck as being "the next great NFL QB" or "the most NFL ready QB ever" with a huge grain of salt. There are no guarantees in the NFL draft. I'm sure Vince Young, Ryan Leaf, LaMarcus Russell, etc etc have been brought up, ad nauseum.

I will point out, though, that it's these same experts that said that Matt Leinert was "the most NFL ready QB" and "the surest bet" his year. Also came from a pro-style, NFL ready offense at USC. How did that one turn out?

Now, this is ridiculous. Comparing Luck to JaMarcus Russell. Seriously? Here's some news for you. Polian is taking Luck whether you like it or not... for better or worse, if we do get fortunate to be ending up at the #1 spot.

LOL...wow so now Andrew Luck is so great he's going to extend Peyton's career? 1) Why would Luck want to extend Manning's career? That just means it'll be that much longer before Luck bets to become "the man".

I swear some of these arguments for drafting Luck are just getting ridiculous.

1) this doesn't matter. we are taking him. He knows Peyton is only playing for 2 years max.. this IS the extension. Tell me this, What QB wouldn't want to learn from the master?

You've already proved you're anti-Luck, and we all have seen your responses... You are entitled to your opinion, but in the end we ARE taking Luck. Polian is smart enough to realize this, unsure why some others aren't?

Now, this is ridiculous. Comparing Luck to JaMarcus Russell. Seriously? Here's some news for you. Polian is taking Luck whether you like it or not... for better or worse, if we do get fortunate to be ending up at the #1 spot.

How do you know? Did Polian tell you himself? I'm glad you're not running this organization because that would be a REALLY stupid move. I trust Polian has some sense in him and trades the pick away for some Luck-desperate team. Our team is bad as it is right now and we need to fix up those problems on defense, not use a 1st overall pick on a back-up QB

How do you know? Did Polian tell you himself? I'm glad you're not running this organization because that would be a REALLY stupid move. I trust Polian has some sense in him and trades the pick away for some Luck-desperate team. Our team is bad as it is right now and we need to fix up those problems on defense, not use a 1st overall pick on a back-up QB

And I'm glad that you are not running the organization. Really? A stupid move. So when Manning retires after this following year, his neck gets worse... then what? we just passed on the best college player since manning, sooo... that leaves us with a multi-million dollar new stadium and a crappy team until we wait another 10 years for Luck 2.0. Just ask Miami how long the wait is to get the opportunity for another franchise QB.

Wow. Amazing how poeple want Luck so badly. And please stop saying 'Polian WILL take Luck' because no one knows. There's always a chance Luck could be a bust, what will you Luck followers say then?? The smart decision is to not take any sort of risks and trade the pick in for a kings ransom

Even Dungy has chimed in to TAKE LUCK no matter what. This isn't rocket science. Polian is going to take Luck (only if we get the #1 spot of course). Dungy has even suggested trading Manning, which i think would be stupid though. Better to keep both.

I don't think anyone is scared of drafting Luck. The thing I'm in agreement with some is, there are way more pressing matters than drafting a QB. And those matters need to be addressed for the next season. Otherwise even if Luck is drafted, it'll be all for naught because you draft Luck and trade Peyton, start Luck, he still has to play with the defense line and the offense line in the shamble's they're in.

Because if he does turn out to be Peyton Manning 2.0 it's going to be the exact same situation all over again. Once in a generation gifted QB stuck on a team that he has to continually carry week in and week out. That alone is not enough for this kid to win the Colts a SB with the way the team is.

The expectations being put on this kid is really unfair. Anything less than a SB his first year or anything less than better than Peyton is not going to be good enough for a lot of people.

Second coming of Peyton Manning? Peyton Manning 2.0? How about we just let him be the first coming of Andrew Luck instead of comparing him to that once in a generation QB in Peyton?

And I'm glad that you are not running the organization. Really? A stupid move. So when Manning retires after this following year, his neck gets worse... then what? we just passed on the best college player since manning, sooo... that leaves us with a multi-million dollar new stadium and a crappy team until we wait another 10 years for Luck 2.0. Just ask Miami how long the wait is to get the opportunity for another franchise QB.

Peyton isnt retiring after this year, or next year. And like i said Luck isnt a sure thing, no one is. Why use a 1st overall pick on a back up qb who could be a bust? Im all for taking Luck i have no problem with that but the smartest move is to trade the pick and fix the defense to win more super bowls with peyton NOW

Even Dungy has chimed in to TAKE LUCK no matter what. This isn't rocket science. Polian is going to take Luck (only if we get the #1 spot of course). Dungy has even suggested trading Manning, which i think would be stupid though. Better to keep both.

Who cares what Dungy thinks?? Really? And of course this isn't rocket science. And AGAIN like I said, no one knows what Polian is gonna do. Polian would probably want to win atleast 1 more SB with manning and thats not gonna happen unless he fixes up the defense, not draft a back-up for manning.

I've thought a lot on this and I think I'm going to flip on my belief that you must trade Luck for more picks.

The correct answer on this is the most cold-hearted one. Yes, we have needs all over this team...especially the defense, but players that show NFL mechanics like Luck come only once every few years and are picked up either as the 1st overall pick or are misdiagnosed and fall down to the bottom of the first round. Our likelihood of being in the top 5 draft-wise again is not very high. This means that the Polians are in the unenviable position of trying to balance current need with future need. Manning could very well play for 5-6 years, but the likelihood is that he plays more like 3-4 years. This means that Luck is right on the cusp of being perfectly timed to be groomed as a starting quarterback. In the scenario that Manning does play beyond 2 years I think you have to consider trading away Manning...just like Dungy said earlier today. It's not personal, it's just business.

Think back to what happened to the Steelers in the 80's. They had a chance to draft Dan Marino and passed on him...a decision that haunted them for over a decade. Dan Marino led Miami to 10 playoff appearances and set all kinds of records along the way to a 17-year Hall of Fame career.

Who cares what Dungy thinks?? Really? And of course this isn't rocket science. And AGAIN like I said, no one knows what Polian is gonna do. Polian would probably want to win atleast 1 more SB with manning and thats not gonna happen unless he fixes up the defense, not draft a back-up for manning.

And like i said, Odds are Manning isn't going to be around in 2 years. With these draft picks and a better rookie D, we sure aren't winning a superbowl in the next 2 years. But you are entitled to your opinion. Of course, I wouldn't take advice from anyone who likes Addai. He's horrible. I really like how he gets us only +1 yard gain by going towards the sideline every play he attempts to run.

And like i said, Odds are Manning isn't going to be around in 2 years. With these draft picks and a better rookie D, we sure aren't winning a superbowl in the next 2 years. But you are entitled to your opinion. Of course, I wouldn't take advice from anyone who likes Addai. He's horrible. I really like how he gets us only +1 yard gain by going towards the sideline every play he attempts to run.

Because my name is caladdai you think i like addai? Well yea hes better than any of our RBs and fits best with my name. And i wasnt giving you advise. What if my name was todd? then you you listen to my "advise" ?? ...Yea its a pretty pointless thing to say (the stuff in bold).................... Oh and howcome the "odds" are manning isnt going to be around in two years? Link??? Repeating that nonsense over and over isnt going to make anyone believe it....

Because my name is caladdai you think i like addai? Well yea hes better than any of our RBs and fits best with my name. And i wasnt giving you advise. What if my name was todd? then you you listen to my "advise" ?? ...Yea its a pretty pointless thing to say (the stuff in bold).................... Oh and howcome the "odds" are manning isnt going to be around in two years? Link??? Repeating that nonsense over and over isnt going to make anyone believe it....

Manning is done, everyone knows it. And even if Manning isn't done, our team is. It's not nonsense, its our reality. I say we at least do Manning the favor, trade him to an elite team so he can at least get another Superbowl in his last 2 years. Either way its time to rebuild, and that is not nonsense.

What your saying is nonsense. Honestly where do you get this stuff? Do you make it up in your head and force yourself and everyone else to believe it? Who is saying manning is done? From what i hear it seems like he's making good progress and should have 3-4 healthy more years.this team isnt done, its young and inexperienced. The polians gotta make this the best draft of their lives so we can continue to win WITH manning....

The decision on what to do with the #1 overall pick may not even be in the hands of either Polian. I think there's a good chance Jim Irsay is the one who makes the final call, or possibly even lets daughter Casey make the call. Something mentioned a while back in another thread (don't even think it was a Luck thread but don't know for sure) was that Jim Irsay said he will be retiring when Manning retires. At that point he's handing the team over to daughter Casey. If he stays true to his word then what does he do with the #1 pick? Since he's in his final days as owner, he could trade it and try to build the team around Peyton in order to try to win in both of their last few years with the team. Or he could draft Luck in order to give Casey the franchise QB for the team for when she takes over. He may decide to not even address QB until much closer to the time of Manning's retirement so that he can let Casey choose the QB who will be the face of her franchise. If Jim puts the decision on Casey, does she take the QB now knowing she could be hurting her father's chances to win another SB or 2 in his final years as team owner with the GOAT QB or does she decide to pull the trigger to have her own franchise QB when the day comes that she takes over?

http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/17926225/detail.html

at the bottom:

He's also made Casey a deal that might make many Colts fans cringe: "When Peyton retires, then it's her team."

What your saying is nonsense. Honestly where do you get this stuff? Do you make it up in your head and force yourself and everyone else to believe it? Who is saying manning is done? From what i hear it seems like he's making good progress and should have 3-4 healthy more years.this team isnt done, its young and inexperienced. The polians gotta make this the best draft of their lives so we can continue to win WITH manning....

You can believe what you want. History will tell who is right and wrong. I'm sticking to my beliefs. This team needs to rebuild, either way, so if its with Peyton and we spurn our #1 pick and go 8-8 for 2 years in a row, thats for the Polians to decide. Either way, The Colts are in rebuild mode, whether fans are in denial or not.