Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Players Respond To "suck For Luck"

theking213

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still trying to figure out what you have seen from Luck that gives you reason to believe he isnt as good as advertised. The rest of that Stanford squad is not that great. Luck makes them special. I do understand its very hard to predict pitfalls from College to pros, but its not like we are seeing any signs with Luck comparable to the questionable smarts and accuracy type questions that accompanied a guy like Jamarcus russell. Luck looks like an NFL ready QB to almost anyone who watches what he does on the field.

Really, the rest of Stanford's squad isn't that great? So they're ranked in the top 10 in the nation because of 1 player? Nonsense. Why then are 2 of their 3 offensive linemen that are draft eligible rated in the top 3 in their position? Their one TE who is draft eligible is ranked at #4 among all colllege TEs. Their rushing attack that averages over 200 yards per game is all due to Luck then too I suppose? Luck is also responsible for Stanford's defense being the top rated (last I checked) in the pac-12?

I've watched the guy play....many times. What I constantly see is a team who comes out pounding the ball in their power sets of 3 TE/2 RB and they pound the ball down the other team's throat. Then, Luck starts making plays off of play action. Don't get me wrong, he does make some great throws, but at the same time he also throws a lot of passes to guys who are wide open due to the defense selling all out against the run. I see a QB who gets 5-10 seconds to throw on almost every passing attempt. Teams get very little pressure on him.

I'm not saying he can't or won't be a great QB, but as I've pointed out in other threads the fact that Alex Smith has shown such a complete turn around since Harbaugh took over makes me wonder if Luck isn't perhaps equally parts good but equally parts benefited from a QB friendly system. So if this is true, then how is Andrew Luck going to perform in any other type of offensive system that isn't as power run heavy as what he's in now? Don't try to tell me how he'll do because you don't know any more than I do. The fact that this could come into question then makes me doubt his true value TO US at the #1 spot. There are several QB prospects who do as much if not more from a production standpoint with much, much less talent around them.

Really, the rest of Stanford's squad isn't that great? So they're ranked in the top 10 in the nation because of 1 player? Nonsense. Why then are 2 of their 3 offensive linemen that are draft eligible rated in the top 3 in their position? Their one TE who is draft eligible is ranked at #4 among all colllege TEs. Their rushing attack that averages over 200 yards per game is all due to Luck then too I suppose? Luck is also responsible for Stanford's defense being the top rated (last I checked) in the pac-12?

I've watched the guy play....many times. What I constantly see is a team who comes out pounding the ball in their power sets of 3 TE/2 RB and they pound the ball down the other team's throat. Then, Luck starts making plays off of play action. Don't get me wrong, he does make some great throws, but at the same time he also throws a lot of passes to guys who are wide open due to the defense selling all out against the run. I see a QB who gets 5-10 seconds to throw on almost every passing attempt. Teams get very little pressure on him.

I'm not saying he can't or won't be a great QB, but as I've pointed out in other threads the fact that Alex Smith has shown such a complete turn around since Harbaugh took over makes me wonder if Luck isn't perhaps equally parts good but equally parts benefited from a QB friendly system. So if this is true, then how is Andrew Luck going to perform in any other type of offensive system that isn't as power run heavy as what he's in now? Don't try to tell me how he'll do because you don't know any more than I do. The fact that this could come into question then makes me doubt his true value TO US at the #1 spot. There are several QB prospects who do as much if not more from a production standpoint with much, much less talent around them.

Seconded. He's certainly a very good QB, but how would he perform on a team as terrible as ours? He might just vanish in to thin air like any other QB not named Peyton when he has 2.5 seconds to read the defense and get rid of the ball. (Although our pass protection has gotten better the past few games, thank god)

It's commonplace for QB's to do well when they have 4-5+ seconds to get rid of the ball on a regular basis and just hit the guy who happens to come open. Combine that with a killer rushing attack and great D and, well, there you go.

The flip side is, of course, maybe he IS good enough to carry a poor team/ The next Peyton Manning. We'll see. It would be an all or nothing gamble if we got him.

Personally, I'd rather see us get one or two more OL, CBs, a safety, and an outstanding DT and win a SB while we still have the GOAT. A giant WR who can go up and jump for it would be a plus. It's too late to change out the Terrible 2 defense during his remaining tenure, but hopefully we can at least get a real coach as well.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

More food for thought...IF we get Luck.....couldn't Peyton/The Colts restructure Manning's contract? Or even trade Peyton after a year or two of mentoring Luck? (As absolutely stupid as that would be) For some high picks to build around Luck?

It would be interesting if Peyton went to a solid team. (Assuming he's healthy/his play has not deteriorated)

Edited by Moose Of Woe

Agreed, however the whole point that got me started down the trade down path was when I first asked myself if Luck is the best looking because he's that much more talented, or because he benefits from a system that is setup for him to succeed.

I have no doubt they're going to draft a QB this coming year, none at all. But again, if they're going to spend the #1 overall on the guy then they better be absolutely sure he looks as good as he does because of talent, and not because of system.....the same system that turned Alex Smith from mediocre to top 3 in efficiency.

How are you so sure that Harbaugh has done some magic trick to all of a sudden turn Smith into a great QB. It's been 5 games for crying out loud. It could just be that he finally has a coach that has showed belief in him and installed some confidence. You can't say Harbaugh has done anything any different to the system that makes Smith succeed. Smith has always had the talent, but a different coach and coordinator almost every yr. of his career, plus they were never patient with him at all, probably had a bad effect on his confidence.

How are you so sure that Harbaugh has done some magic trick to all of a sudden turn Smith into a great QB. It's been 5 games for crying out loud. It could just be that he finally has a coach that has showed belief in him and installed some confidence. You can't say Harbaugh has done anything any different to the system that makes Smith succeed. Smith has always had the talent, but a different coach and coordinator almost every yr. of his career, plus they were never patient with him at all, probably had a bad effect on his confidence.

Really? You don't think Harbaugh made some changes to scheme and philosophy when he arrived to the 49ers? I bet the owner and GM would be upset to hear that.

Yes it's only been 5 games but that's all I have to compare with because that's as many games as Smith has played under Harbaugh. I am very interested to see how his play continues as the season goes on.

So you're honestly suggesting that Alex Smith's turnaround and Harbaugh's arrival is just coincidence? You do realize that the same "experts" that tell you how great Luck is would be just as quick to tell you how Harbaugh installed "his system", "his scheme", and "his philosophy" once he arrived in San Francisco...the same scheme that Luck is playing in now. Is this the only reason for Luck's success? I never said that. I'm merely questioning it which to some apparently is blasphemy.

Don't get me wrong, I know confidence can go a long way, but to suggest going from an average QB to one of the most efficient QB's in the league was only based on someone coming in and believing in him is, what was your phrase from the other thread, oh yes...narrow-minded. And again, this is only through 5 games...I know, but still, the turnaround in completion %, TD:Int ratio have been quite dramatic compared even to his best individual year prior to this season.

Edited by Jason

Luck could turn out to be the next Manning or he could turn out to be one of the biggest busts to come out of the draft the year he's drafted. The Colts are being expected to bet their entire future on a kid who hasn't seen one ounce of NFL playing time.

I'd rather the Colts address the issues they need to address then put all their money on one draft pick.

Really? You don't think Harbaugh made some changes to scheme and philosophy when he arrived to the 49ers? I bet the owner and GM would be upset to hear that.

Yes it's only been 5 games but that's all I have to compare with because that's as many games as Smith has played under Harbaugh. I am very interested to see how his play continues as the season goes on.

So you're honestly suggesting that Alex Smith's turnaround and Harbaugh's arrival is just coincidence? You do realize that the same "experts" that tell you how great Luck is would be just as quick to tell you how Harbaugh installed "his system", "his scheme", and "his philosophy" once he arrived in San Francisco...the same scheme that Luck is playing in now. Is this the only reason for Luck's success? I never said that. I'm merely questioning it which to some apparently is blasphemy.

Don't get me wrong, I know confidence can go a long way, but to suggest going from an average QB to one of the most efficient QB's in the league was only based on someone coming in and believing in him is, what was your phrase from the other thread, oh yes...narrow-minded.

Absolutely he changed some things, but that may or may not have anything at all to do with Smith having a few good games. Thats my point, I have just seen you use this as your new basis for negatives against drafting Luck and to tie one into the other is just not logical. Look, I know we could both go on and on about this topic for the next 6 and half months but im not going to. Polian will do his homework on Luck and if he thinks he is anything even close to Manning he will take him, but if he don't then he won't. This will all be a moot point if we don't end up with the 1st pick anyway so right now there is no sense in arguing about it anymore.

This will all be a moot point if we don't end up with the 1st pick anyway so right now there is no sense in arguing about it anymore.

Thats not altogether true. Right now, Carolina is 1-4, STL is 0-4....If they continue down this path, as do the Colts, I can't see either of these teams taking a QB with their top pick. Unless they trade, we could still get luck if we're within the top 5.

It's funny to me that the owner of the team has mentioned there is no doubt that he would be interested in Luck and he is a once in a lifetime talent, but that hasnt been mentioned in this thread today........

It was mentioned in another thread but the anti-Luckers just spun it in a way to fit their agenda. Like "of course he said that, he's just driving up the asking price for him". It couldn't possibly be that they ARE actually interested in taking him if they have the chance.

It was mentioned in another thread but the anti-Luckers just spun it in a way to fit their agenda. Like "of course he said that, he's just driving up the asking price for him". It couldn't possibly be that they ARE actually interested in taking him if they have the chance.

No one was trying to "spin" anything....you're the only dreamweaver around here twisting things to fit your agenda. As was clearly stated in the thread you're referring to both by people wanting Luck and by people wanting to trade down, no matter what their plans are, they're not going to say anything other than they would consider taking Luck. And that's all Irsay said...they would consider it. Of course they'll consider it just like they'll consider trading the pick. they will consider all options long before making a final decision. How is that trying to "spin" anything? .

I was hoping to edit my last post but it won't let me. No matter how some people are trying to spin the words of others, the last thing I want to do is allow myself to drop down to the same level. I've done my best to try to remain level-headed and not resort to the tactics displayed by some. For allowing myself to drop to that level in my last post, I apologize to the forum community.

No one in the "Irsay comments about Luck" thread tried to spin anything. Here are the most relevant quotes:

It's totally acceptable for him to say what he did. It's a poker game, man. He's posturing. Even if he has every intention of trading the 1st pick if we get it, the smart thing to do is act like you want to keep it, cause it basically raises the asking price. If we acted like we have no interest in picking him and really want to trade away the pick, we'd be much more likely to get lesser offers for it. It's a smart move, period.

EXACTLY. I was going to post this exact same thing but you beat me to it. lol If he has no interest in Luck there's no way he's going to come out and say that. Make it look like you're interested to drive up the asking price.

I don't see anywhere in the article that Irsay says the Colts will take Luck. He says it must be considered and I agree with that. Every year the team picking number one tries not to show their hand too early. I would imagine this is the same.

Thread found here..

People were simply pointing out that Irsay said he would consider taking Luck. Of course he'll consider it, he'd be crazy not to. Just like he'd be crazy to not consider trade offers as well. There is no way anything has been determined at this point because we don't know what the draft order will be and we don't know what teams will express the most interest in trading up nor do we have way of truly knowing what their offer might be. I am fully confident that no actual decision will be made until:

-final draft order has been determined

-we have a better idea of Peyton's future health

-we have an opportunity to receive other teams' trade offers

-full evaluations are done in private workouts and the combine with each top ranked QB prospect

So again, yes Irsay said they would indeed consider drafting Luck but no where did he say they definitely would. Regardless of what their position is, they're not going to come out and let it be known to the media this early in the game. Even if they have made a final decision, and I don't believe for a moment that they have, Irsay's answer to the question would have been exactly the same.

Colts fans have had a collective dread over the last few years, as Manning's career is undoubtedly winding down. We don't look forward to the time when we spin the QB carousel. Luck and this off-opportunity for us to select a top five pick has captured much of our imagination.

We're going to need a QB soon, and we don't need a guy that is better than the best, he needs only to be a really good franchise caliber guy. That is not an unreasonable expectation. I agree that there is no player worth purposely tanking a season over, that idea is akin to space alien conspiracy talk.

We could select Luck and still have opportunity to select some of the best CB's in next years draft.

Space alien conspiracy?? You don't believe that the aliens are real?? That perhaps THEY are the ones who are affecting this team? You mean that you DIDN'T see those bright flashes of the anti-catch rays they put on #44 or the anti-defend rays that they aimed our D again and again until KC won the game? It's no conspiracy, Sir! :cute:

When will we stop comparing a Manning/Luck scenario to the Favre/Rodgers scenario? They are not the same. Rodgers was picked #24 and not expected to play, while Favre was expected to retire sooner than he did. The Colts will never railroad Manning out of town the way GB did Favre, either.

Reggie and Robert are two guys who play all out every game. I wouldn't expect them to take kindly to being asked about the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

How can you not compare it?? It could be worse, and more annoying for Colts Fans. You think a #1 draft pick wants to ride the bench for 4 years? you are kidding me right.

If Manning throws 3 picks in a game some fans will be calling for Luck to be put in. Luck will not help us when a 2012 superbowl and that should be our goal.

You know what I'm sick of?I'm sick of all the Colts bashing and abuse they are taking.Knock it off already.If you are a true fan then you wouldn't be coming up with stuff like "suck for luck".So they are having a off year,big deal.Here's a idea:how about instead of hating and telling them how much the entire organization sucks,you show them some support and stand behind them.Not everybody is 100% perfect 100% of the time and to expect it is both unfair and unreasonable.

I have watched the Colts since they came here and will continue to do so whenever I can until they leave,and maybe even after that.If you want to jump off the bandwagon and dump your tickets,I would be more than happy to take them! :D GO COLTS! :disco:

• 3 weeks later...

WNDE is now reporting that Saturday and Mathis are responding to this whole embarassing "Suck for luck" um lets see,stuff I guess :) .Mathis says he's not sucking for anyone and Saturday says he is offended which he has every right to be.The entire Colts organization ought to be speaking out against this whole idea.

The entire Colts organization ought to be speaking out against this whole idea.

How about the focus on getting a win. There mouths may say 'we're not sucking' but the play on the field sure does . How about they shut the mouths and play some quality football. That would indicate to me they aren't sucking for Luck.