Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

colts most disciplined

BronxColtNYC

Actually, it should be 7 penalties (I've never trusted USA TODAY for being accurate source of information).  Three against Oak, 3 against Mia, and the one against SF.  Also, we've only committed 1 turnover (Luck's pick).  These figures equate to Indy being a well-coached teamIsn't

Isn't a turnover on downs still a turnover?

Isn't a turnover on downs still a turnover?

No...a turnover would be an interception or a lost fumble.  I understand your logic though...if a team fails to convert on 4th down, then the D did its job by stopping them.  Other than wins, I've always felt the two most important stats in the NFL were points allowed per game and turnover ratio (takeaways minus giveaways).  Right now, we're sitting pretty at +4.  We're forcing turnovers and we're protecting the football.

No...a turnover would be an interception or a lost fumble.  I understand your logic though...if a team fails to convert on 4th down, then the D did its job by stopping them.  Other than wins, I've always felt the two most important stats in the NFL were points allowed per game and turnover ratio (takeaways minus giveaways).  Right now, we're sitting pretty at +4.  We're forcing turnovers and we're protecting the football.

Add to that that we're also efficient on offense on a macro level, in that we're near the top of the NFL in points per drive, yards per drive, and time per drive, which correlate to winning football games.  Last year, 11 of the 12 playoff teams were top 15 in points per drive (Colts were 19th, we were the worst, but that still means that the bottom 13 teams in that stat all missed the playoffs).  9 playoff teams were in the top 14 in time per drive.  8 were in the top 13 and 11 were in the top 18 in yards per drive.  Right now we're 5th, 2nd, and 5th in those stats, respectively (we're also 2nd in plays per drive, but that doesn't correlate to winning as much).  Also, last year, the top 7 teams and 8 of the top 9 in lowest percentage of drives ending in turnovers made the playoffs, and we're currently sitting at 3rd.  Also last year, 8 of the top 9 and 11 of the top 15 teams (we were 18th) in percentage of drives ending in a score made the playoffs, we're currently tied for 5th.

Last year, according to those stats that predict winning football games, we were a bit of an outlier among the playoff teams, unsurprising since we were a wild card that had a lot of close wins.  This year we're right were we want to be so far in those stats.  Also worth noting that other teams last year that missed the playoffs but did well in those stats include teams like the Cowboys, Saints, Giants, and Panthers, who were all at least 7-9 and had up-and-down seasons - so, not bad teams - and rather inexplicably, the 4-12 Lions, but they had a lot of production in the passing game and were 3-9 in games decided by 1 score (they were like the bizzaro Colts of last year).

Hopefully this all continues, including the low number of penalties.  If we can continue to have a balanced offense, that is efficient on a per-drive basis, and minimize mistakes like penalties and turnovers, that's a recipe for a playoff run.

Actually, it should be 7 penalties (I've never trusted USA TODAY for being accurate source of information). Three against Oak, 3 against Mia, and the one against SF. Also, we've only committed 1 turnover (Luck's pick). These figures equate to Indy being a well-coached team.

U don't say. Sometimes I get on the board and see that the whole staff should get the ax lol. But you're absolutely right excellent coaching and not to mention the players for buying in

One thing that has made the Colts such a joy to watch and root for since the Dungy years is how disciplined the team plays.  If I were a coach the number 1 thing I would preach is being the team with the fewest penalties.  It's just fundamentals and smart football.  Also great to see Luck protecting the ball so well so far this year.  I'd like to see the D get more turnovers but +4 after 3 games is far superior to last year.

This can be accounted on Pags and his coaching staff. This discipline was needed to beat 49ers. Everyone knew what to do, end executed it perfectly.

Exactly.  When we play the tough teams, I think we have to have <4 penalties and either no turnovers, or +1 in the turnover ratio.  This keeps you from shooting yourself in the foot and not put extra undue pressure to perform. Just do your job and execute from there.

I'm glad the coaching staff tightened up the reigns on the guys after our guys started getting into trouble off the field.  That being said, when Miami had 0 penalties against us, isn't it possible they were just being disciplined rather than terrible reffing?  Or is terrible reffing the reason we are not getting penalties called on us.

I'm glad the coaching staff tightened up the reigns on the guys after our guys started getting into trouble off the field.  That being said, when Miami had 0 penalties against us, isn't it possible they were just being disciplined rather than terrible reffing?  Or is terrible reffing the reason we are not getting penalties called on us.

Jim Irsay took their flags away. In return, he promised a free ride in his charter plane wherever they have to ref a game. :)

Glad to see those Dungy days of disciplined football is making a comeback albeit with new systems and personnel. I definitely like it.

Jim Irsay took their flags away. In return, he promised a free ride in his charter plane wherever they have to ref a game. :)

Glad to see those Dungy days of disciplined football is making a comeback albeit with new systems and personnel. I definitely like it.

Much more aggressive play. It's easier to avoid PI and holding when you're playing zone coverage. When you play a lot of man -- and we were almost exclusively man on Sunday -- it's easier to get flagged. This stat is really impressive to me.

It's interesting to see the effect penalties can have.  On one hand, you give up fewer yards.  On the other, you are playing aggressively and the other team knows that.  I think I saw a stat that said last year, the Ravens were the most penalized team in the league and they ended up winning the Super Bowl.