Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our Defensive Philosophy

CR91

is it just that we cant play another defense or are the coaches just blind and cant see it doesnt work? we dont even make adjustments. the offense knows the holes in the defense and just continue to exploited it and we just let them without doing anything. i just dont get it.

they did make some very noticeable adjustments from last week and they got burned in different ways. The LBs didn't really show up today like they have the first few weeks. I'm always more than willing to bash the tampa 2 scheme any chance I get, but the tampa 2 was not what was repeatedly killing us this game like it did the first 4.

one in-game I was surprised they never tried was swapping Powers and Lacey. Sure there's a possibility that in doing so we start getting burned more by Breaston instead of Bowe but at the same time, you never know Lacey might have matched up better on Breaston and at least have been a little more effective.

I actually liked the man coverage calls but if your LBs can't help stop the run then you have to put a safety in the box to help. Now you don't have help over top of the man coverage and our CBs need over the top help.

Edited by Jason

they did make some very noticeable adjustments from last week and they got burned in different ways. The LBs didn't really show up today like they have the first few weeks. I'm always more than willing to bash the tampa 2 scheme any chance I get, but the tampa 2 was not what was repeatedly killing us this game like it did the first 4.

one in-game I was surprised they never tried was swapping Powers and Lacey. Sure there's a possibility that in doing so we start getting burned more by Breaston instead of Bowe but at the same time, you never know Lacey might have matched up better on Breaston and at least have been a little more effective.

I actually liked the man coverage calls but if your LBs can't help stop the run then you have to put a safety in the box to help. Now you don't have help over top of the man coverage and our CBs need over the top help.

The biggest issue with the defense is lack of in-game adjustments for the specific opponent. While the game plan changed from the one we used against Tampa Bay, the new game plan for the Chiefes clearly was not working. Coyer and Caldwell did not make any changes. It was sickening to see Lacey lined up against Bowe and getting beat on every play. Also, when Colts DB Rucker came into the game because of an injury, the Colts did not give him any help and on his first play gave up a far too easy td to Chiefs WR Steve Breaston. Those are just two examples of the stupid and inept play calling and performance of the Colts defense. Our secondary is the least talented in the league and we have the league's worst coaching staff. We will be lucky to go 1-15 this year.

Thats where the injuries come in... moala was not a factor... which is the main reason i had rather harris over him, the colts are missing nevis because he was a factor... When the colts LB's are the one who has to plug in most of the holes they are gonna have trouble getting off someone and making the tackle.. the colts are getting gashed because they are injured in the middle.... I really had hope that it was just lacey playing out of position but everything they do with this guy he fails at it... there was so much potential coming out of his rookie season now idk where it's gone, he needs to lose his job to someone, i would much rather see Rucker doing press coverages than lacey.

They run the same inept defense that has proved not to work for years. I am sure they will not change it as long as this same lack luster coaching staff remains. Very passive, just a bend don't break philosophy that the colts like to use. It barely works when Peyton is healthy but now that he is not, the obvious flaws are aparent.

The biggest issue with the defense is lack of in-game adjustments for the specific opponent. While the game plan changed from the one we used against Tampa Bay, the new game plan for the Chiefes clearly was not working. Coyer and Caldwell did not make any changes. It was sickening to see Lacey lined up against Bowe and getting beat on every play. Also, when Colts DB Rucker came into the game because of an injury, the Colts did not give him any help and on his first play gave up a far too easy td to Chiefs WR Steve Breaston. Those are just two examples of the stupid and inept play calling and performance of the Colts defense. Our secondary is the least talented in the league and we have the league's worst coaching staff. We will be lucky to go 1-15 this year.

You're absolutely right and I was thinking the same thing watching the KC game...they made a lot of adjustments from the week before but no actual in-game adjustments.

You're absolutely right and I was thinking the same thing watching the KC game...they made a lot of adjustments from the week before but no actual in-game adjustments.

coaches were considering making some changes, they noticed kc was dominating and were just getting to make some adjustments when the game ended

We always trust on our front 4 lineman. When the Dwight and Robert get washed out, we don't have anyone else behind them. This is due to the fact that Drake Nevis is injured at the moment. We need a corner that can play man coverage. I really think that would help our defense out alot more then a safety. Nevis out of our DT's was the only one I seen getting pressure to the QB. Johnson and Moala got some, but it wasn't more then Drake. Moala is injuried abit still so I'll cut him some slack. Also when Dwight and Robert get washed out of plays why don't our linebackers come and blitz the open gaps? I know their dropping back into coverage, but still they need to be looking for that. You can only send out 5 guys on offense. One of the linebackers is free to blitz on passing plays.