Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck and the character of this team

ColtsFanMikeC

As a few have stated in various other threads -- Luck looked extremely poised when he needed to make a play.

While his stat-line didn't break any records (164 yards, 6.1 yard average, 66.7% completion percent, 0 Pass TDs, 0 Ints, 24 rush yards, 1 rush TD), Luck made a very smart/athletic/critical play on the run to the outside where he beat the CB and picked up a first and another when he bootlegged in for that TD.

Here is what I love about Luck, and what seems to be a common attitude on our team.  Those numbers are not pro-bowl type numbers, but Luck managed the game very well, made great decisions all day (only had the one sack, but was getting rid of the ball and avoiding the sacks very well).  The thing is, I don't think Luck cares an ounce that he didn't throw for 300 yards and that he didn't break any passing records -- "I know he's grinning from ear to ear," Colts coach Chuck Pagano said. "I've never seen him smile the way he was smiling after this one." -- Luck was happy to have won a very good game, regardless of his stat line.

I think that is something that is great about this team -- I don't think anyone will be complaining about it -- TY had 2 catches for 13 yards after coming off a huge week last week, and I don't think he is going to be complaining about it because we won the game on a great team effort.  This makes our team that much better, because we are so tough to game-plan against on offense if we have a balance attack -- after seeing today's tape I imagine a lot of teams are going to be focused on our run game, and that means that we should be able to exploit mis-matches in the pass/catch game and see huge weeks out of Reggie/Fleener/TY/DHB/etc. some weeks, and quiet weeks in other weeks.

The fact is, I don't really think any of our guys are going to be griping about not putting up huge stats when we win like that.  There are a lot of other teams and players in this league that have a huge problem with that (IMO) -- but I don't think we'll have anyone on this team writing the sequel to Keyshawn Johnson's "Give me the damn ball" novel.

Luck is just a stud at life who is getting better and better.  Remember all the concerns about his INTs last year?  He's thrown 1 in his last six regular season games and just two in his last seven games over all. 

With that said a power running game that keeps him from having to throw the ball 50 times a game does wonders for protecting your QB too.