Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Win Or To Not Win

GatorColts

It's pretty clear to me that we are in win now mode. Obviously not at this very moment, but before Peyton went down that's what the plan was. I can't imagine that will change once he gets the green light to play next season.

With a quarterback like Manning you don't have to take that one kid outta Standford (kidding). You can take someone like a Nick Foles (not in the first round) who has raw ability and teach him the fundamentals and still get a great product. Or not! Who knows what he'll turn out like. But, this organization has to believe that improving the team around Manning and winning now. In my opinion, that means improving our secondary or wide receiver corp first, and then defensive and offensive line. WIN NOW BABY

People say that Luck is the next Peyton Manning, he has one of the best OL's in college football, a running game that averages 200+ yards per game and 3 TE's who you can't cover no matter who you put on them. On the other hand, Nick Foles is the guy who single handedly has to try to take the team on his shoulders and keep them in the game with little to no running game and a horrible defense. When you put things into this context, which one really sounds like Manning? lol

BlackoutRuse, I honestly think Foles could be the biggest QB steal in the draft, especially if he goes as low as the 3rd-4th round. I think he'll probably move up to the 2nd and he would be a great pickup in the 2nd round imo. It's for these reasons that he is my top pick for a QB if we do draft one in 2012.

Agreed with a lof of what you said except for the very beginning about the #1 or #2 pick not having value for us. We take that pick and trade down and we get a crapload of picks in return so that top pick definitely has a huge value for us.

EXACTLY! If the Colts decide, for whatever reason, not to use the #1 pick --- it will likely be dealt for a top 5 pick this year, a later round pick or two AND at a minimum a #1 in 2013. That pick has a TON of value -- even if it's not used by the Colts.

There is no perfect year for manning to be injured, whoever said that is crazy.. if manning wasnt injured colts fans wouldnt even be paying attention to andrew luck, the colts play to win and thats the only way they are gonna play..

most people could realize that the meaning was, if manning is going to get injured than this is the perfect year.

most people could realize that the meaning was, if manning is going to get injured than this is the perfect year.

No this is not the perfect year because he just signed a huge contract, that year could have been in 2013 or something but not this year... the colts dont need another QB now... if drew stanton had fell to the colts they would have taken him because they said that.. and if andrew luck falls for them they will take him although i would wish they didnt.

I am rooting for the win always. The fact that the team is awful will take care of them getting a high draft pick without me having to root for it to happen. When your team legitimately sucks then the silver lining in any loss is improved draft position for next year. That's the way I see it.
My thoughts exactly. I can't actually root for them to lose. I just can't. But at the same time every loss improves our draft position.

This team needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

lol

i am glad we are losing because i can relax during games. the expectations are so much lower

if we do well, it's a pleasant surprise. if we fail, i smile about the draft prospects

my blood pressure is lower than it has been in over 10 years!

I agree the last two loses were fine with me, they were good games, heck even the Browns game didn't bug me much. I was relaxed and calm watching those games. The Cheifs game however really ticked me off. I've lost all confidence in the coaching staff. Painter overall played well. Unfortunately you could sense the come back and there was nothing that we could do to stop it, coaches seem to have no sense or urgency last night. Coyer & Clyde are very bad coaches & now I have no confidence in Caldwell to lead the team. With 5 pro bowlers still on the team and many other solid players they cant even figure out how to keep a 17pt lead against a bad team. We just gave KC a whole lot of confidence and now I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts go 0-16. I'm not calling for anyone's heads but I would have no problem with any coaching change @ any position (next year). Colts layed down last night.

i just dont see us trading back. this guy is a once in a lifetime player

The hype on Luck is already overblown. He may be the most polished pro-ready college QB since Peyton, but claiming he's a 'once in a lifetime player' is an exaggeration. More like once every ten or fifteen years. In only half a lifetime I've been privileged to watch HOF QBs like Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, John Elway, Troy Aikman as well as future HOF gunslingers like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and now possibly Aaron Rodgers. This Luck kid has a long way to go before anyone can proclaim him that special or unique.

Speaking of trading back, wouldn't it be ironic if one of the other QBs drafted in the latter rounds of next April's draft develops into a Pro-Bowl franchise player while Luck turns out to be mediocre like Flacco / Ryan / Stafford / Bradford? Implausible?

The hype on Luck is already overblown. He may be the most polished pro-ready college QB since Peyton, but claiming he's a 'once in a lifetime player' is an exaggeration. More like once every ten or fifteen years. In only half a lifetime I've been privileged to watch HOF QBs like Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, John Elway, Troy Aikman as well as future HOF gunslingers like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and now possibly Aaron Rodgers. This Luck kid has a long way to go before anyone can proclaim him that special or unique.

Speaking of trading back, wouldn't it be ironic if one of the other QBs drafted in the latter rounds of next April's draft develops into a Pro-Bowl franchise player while Luck turns out to be mediocre like Flacco / Ryan / Stafford / Bradford? Implausible?

Absolutely not implausible at all...especially when you look at the comparisons between Andrew Luck and Alex Smith. Up to this point in his career, Smith has done virtually nothing. While not trying to completely discredit him or anything there were obviously a lot of front office and coaching problems with that team up to this point in his career. However, Smith has now made a complete turnaround and is one of the top 3 most efficient QB's in the league...Alex Smith is 6th in the league in completion percentage and 3rd in overall QB rating with a QB rating of 104.1. He's also tied at #1 with Aaron Rodgers for best TD/INT ratio. This is all in his first year in Jim Harbaugh's system, the same system that Luck is currently in at Stanford. Prior to this year, Smith's best completion % for a year was 60.5% (in '09 and this was the only year he even topped 60%) and his best QB rating was 82.1. Smith's best TD/INT ratio was last year when the ratio was 1.5/1...a far cry from his current 7/1 ratio.

If you're going to suck -- and not make the playoffs -- which is what's going to happen this season, you really might as well suck all the way.

The worst that can happen is to go 7-9 and get the 18th pick or something.

If you're going to miss the playoffs you might as well go 1-15. You get a #1 pick (most likely) that you can use or trade for a nice return and you get to play an easier schedule in 2012.

Obviously not a season ticket holder