Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think most people would agree we need another receiver to learn and then replace Wayne. There could be several options in free agency including Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks. There is also the draft in which Sammy Watkins and Marqise Lee would be the main prizes. Keep in mind we just traded our 1st round pick for Trent Richardson. If Lee slips to our pick in the 2nd (unlikely) then I would draft him in a heartbeat, otherwise I would take Hakeem Nicks. What are your thought? What would you do?

Do you really think he could not only become a productive receiver but a #1?

I meant that mostly in jest, but I do think he could eventually become a very productive Wr. He has all the talent skills and measurables, he just needs to take the game seriously and get his mind right, hopefully working with Reggie will do wonders for him.

I meant that mostly in jest, but I do think he could eventually become a very productive Wr. He has all the talent skills and measurables, he just needs to take the game seriously and get his mind right, hopefully working with Reggie will do wonders for him.

would you go ahead and invest in another wr?

Rogers has the skill set to be a #2 I think, with improved route running I think he can be a #1 but his lack of great deep speed makes him a #2....Thats where if he can improve his route running he can compensate and be a #1.......Plus he needs to bring effort every down, that was even questioned in college, its followed him to the Bills........If he pulls what he did in Buffalo then the chances of him being on the Colts is likely next to none after this weekend, Plus I wonder who would touch him if he quit on two teams if that comes to pass

So none of you would invest in a wr in free agency? interesting

Britt has off-the field issues and can only run like half the routes asked of him, Nicks is made of glass, and Maclin is coming off of a torn ACL. 

Those are the major 3 guys available. I personally wouldn't touch any of them especially considering how much each of them are going to want. 

Britt has off-the field issues and can only run like half the routes asked of him, Nicks is made of glass, and Maclin is coming off of a torn ACL. 

Those are the major 3 guys available. I personally wouldn't touch any of them especially considering how much each of them are going to want. 

With that being said, Britt has flashed greatness, Nicks is a proven #1 and Maclin is a versatile Grigson has a connection with and could potentially come at a discounted rate.

With that being said, Britt has flashed greatness, Nicks is a proven #1 and Maclin is a versatile Grigson has a connection with and could potentially come at a discounted rate.

If I had to take a flier on any of them, it would be Maclin because of his discounted price. 

The thing is though is that Britt/Nicks are going to want like $8 million a year. I don't think wither of them are worth that much and I don't think they/'re worth getting into a bidding war for.

I really would rather not use a draft pick. I view free agency as not only acquiring a player but also gaining the ability not to have to draft a player at that position. For WR i'd much rather grab one out of free agency unless its Lee. I think Maclin would fit the best currently but then after Reggie is gone would Maclin be able to become a #1 or could we get by on just having a really solid group of receivers.

I think most people would agree we need another receiver to learn and then replace Wayne. There could be several options in free agency including Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt and Hakeem Nicks. There is also the draft in which Sammy Watkins and Marqise Lee would be the main prizes. Keep in mind we just traded our 1st round pick for Trent Richardson. If Lee slips to our pick in the 2nd (unlikely) then I would draft him in a heartbeat, otherwise I would take Hakeem Nicks. What are your thought? What would you do?

He is yet in the roster..

Rogers has the skill set to be a #2 I think, with improved route running I think he can be a #1 but his lack of great deep speed makes him a #2....Thats where if he can improve his route running he can compensate and be a #1.......Plus he needs to bring effort every down, that was even questioned in college, its followed him to the Bills........If he pulls what he did in Buffalo then the chances of him being on the Colts is likely next to none after this weekend, Plus I wonder who would touch him if he quit on two teams if that comes to pass

With his physical attributes his speed is good enough...it's all about upstairs with him.

With Fleener and T.Y Hilton progressing well and Allen coming back next year all will need is a possession WR. DHB is not the answer but Da'Rick Rogers has the skill set to be that guy. I doubt that were gonna draft a WR in the 2nd round with more needs on the team like o-line, pass rusher, and CB. I think were gonna go after Macklin, i know he's coming off an ACL injury but it'll be 11 months by time training camp comes around and he should be healthy. He's a talented WR with great speed and route running but also a good possession WR.

who in the draft jumps out at you?

Two people I like that i think we can get in later rounds are maybe Jordan Matthews, and Devin Street. I don't like the speed of the WR's in next years draft though. Hopefully Coaching staff spots somebody if we need to.

I doubt the Giants let Nicks go.  But he would be acceptable as a WR1.  

But you are right without our first rounder we're unlikely to be in any position to draft a WR#1.  We might have had to trade up to do so anyways even if we had kept the first rounder.  

The best possible scenario is that Da Rick Rodgers grows up, keeps his nose clean, works hard and uses his head so that he can live up to the potential that his body allows of him.  

I doubt the Giants let Nicks go.  But he would be acceptable as a WR1.  

But you are right without our first rounder we're unlikely to be in any position to draft a WR#1.  We might have had to trade up to do so anyways even if we had kept the first rounder.  

The best possible scenario is that Da Rick Rodgers grows up, keeps his nose clean, works hard and uses his head so that he can live up to the potential that his body allows of him.  

I just don't foresee Rogers becoming a 1, perhaps a 2. I started looking at receivers and am actually a big fan of Josh Gordon. The Browns are actively shopping him but he has a ton of potential. Gordon is raw enough to learn from Reggie Wayne and DHB before utilizing his gifts more prominently in a bigger role when Wayne retires. 

I just don't foresee Rogers becoming a 1, perhaps a 2. I started looking at receivers and am actually a big fan of Josh Gordon. The Browns are actively shopping him but he has a ton of potential. Gordon is raw enough to learn from Reggie Wayne and DHB before utilizing his gifts more prominently in a bigger role when Wayne retires.

Where did you get that info?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Jordan Matthews- Vandy WR.  Hands down the 3 rd best WR in this class after Lee and Watkins.  He doesn't have Lee's explosivness but he's a lot more polished than Watkins.  He's got a 2nd round grade on him and if he makes it to our pick, I want to draft him.  He's easily a 1st rd talent and will probably end up there if he stays healthy this year.  I watched him all last year and every game so far this year.  Consistently puts up good numbers against top tier teams in the SEC, without a lot of talent around him.   I hate to say this, but to me he's a 6 foot 3 inch version of Reggie.  Yes REGGIE.  Great hands, and near flawless route runner.  He also wears #87.

Jordan Matthews- Vandy WR.  Hands down the 3 rd best WR in this class after Lee and Watkins.  He doesn't have Lee's explosivness but he's a lot more polished than Watkins.  He's got a 2nd round grade on him and if he makes it to our pick, I want to draft him.  He's easily a 1st rd talent and will probably end up there if he stays healthy this year.  I watched him all last year and every game so far this year.  Consistently puts up good numbers against top tier teams in the SEC, without a lot of talent around him.   I hate to say this, but to me he's a 6 foot 3 inch version of Reggie.  Yes REGGIE.  Great hands, and near flawless route runner.  He also wears #87.

Personally, I would rather grab a physically gifted wr and teach him to run perfect routes. Whoever they bring in would have a while to sit and learn. I think Gordon is just too good to pass up.

I think DHB would be #1. He's looked solid this year. Not tooo many drops.

I also think DHB has looked very good. I wonder how much of that is Reggie drawing coverage from him though. If DHB is your #1 who do you put out there as a secondary receiver?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Personally, I would rather grab a physically gifted wr and teach him to run perfect routes. Whoever they bring in would have a while to sit and learn. I think Gordon is just too good to pass up.

I also think DHB has looked very good. I wonder how much of that is Reggie drawing coverage from him though. If DHB is your #1 who do you put out there as a secondary receiver?

If we draft to replace reggie, then Matthews is the best option in my opinion.  We have a Physical anomaly in DHB already.  Not to mention Da'Rick Rodgers, if he develops.