Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are The Colts Regretting Letting Kelvin Hayden Go Right Now?

Mouthfire

If there's anything Hayden had going for him, it was experience in our system and size. The inexperience and size of our DBs was really exposed today.

Yes, we won't ever know if Kelvin would've made a difference. But we gained almost nothing by cutting him (just $1 million in cap space). It made no sense to cut a veteran from the weakest part of our defense.

Yes, I think so....

Kelvin Hayden has played two games for ATL this year with 4 tackles and 1 INT. There's no reason to pay tens of millions of dollars for that kind of performer. The Colts did the right thing by cutting him because he's a liability (injury history) and even though it's just a 1M savings this year the real savings is over 2012 and 2013 at the would-be rate of 8.6M per year. He's not worth elite money. The guy got 22.5M guaranteed from the Colts for about a year's worth of work = terrible cap management. I'm glad he's gone and no, the Colts aren't missing him.

Not at all.. mouth...

Colts fans hated Kelvin Hayden.....they blamed him for playing too far off the receiver and not tackling well.

Sound familiar?

Yes, that's true. But I think the guys we have left (minus Powers) are even worse. Again, we gained nothing by cutting him.

Kelvin Hayden has played two games for ATL this year with 4 tackles and 1 INT. There's no reason to pay tens of millions of dollars for that kind of performer. The Colts did the right thing by cutting him because he's a liability (injury history) and even though it's just a 1M savings this year the real savings is over 2012 and 2013 at the would-be rate of 8.6M per year. He's not worth elite money. The guy got 22.5M guaranteed from the Colts for about a year's worth of work = terrible cap management. I'm glad he's gone and no, the Colts aren't missing him.

Yes, but we didn't have to keep him for 2012-3. Thomas and Rucker may prove to be the long term answers, but they aren't right now.

I think Polian was trying to correct a mistake, but he didn't do it right. I would've kept him one more year until one of the two above were ready. It was already clear in preseason that Lacey wasn't the answer.

Yes, but we didn't have to keep him for 2012-3. Thomas and Rucker may prove to be the long term answers, but they aren't right now.

I think Polian was trying to correct a mistake, but he didn't do it right. I would've kept him one more year until one of the two above were ready. It was already clear in preseason that Lacey wasn't the answer.

Bottom line is Hayden was rightfully viewed as a roster spot liability (injuries) in the short term and unaffordable in the long term. Give the young healthy guys a shot, why not there's not enough of a disparity talent-wise in the secondary and a roster spot is cleared. The team did the right thing letting him go, right along with Sanders, Hart, Session, busting Brown to 3rd string (pleasant surprise). I realize the season is only about 1/3 of the way over, but I believe by year end Hayden will be IR'd and/or have very non-impact player stats and be released by ATL. We'll see. If I remember right, Hayden was passed over by a couple of teams this off season before ATL picked him up....and his health was called into question.

Bottom line is Hayden was rightfully viewed as a roster spot liability (injuries) in the short term and unaffordable in the long term. Give the young healthy guys a shot, why not there's not enough of a disparity talent-wise in the secondary and a roster spot is cleared. The team did the right thing letting him go, right along with Sanders, Hart, Session, busting Brown to 3rd string (pleasant surprise). I realize the season is only about 1/3 of the way over, but I believe by year end Hayden will be IR'd and/or have very non-impact player stats and be released by ATL. We'll see. If I remember right, Hayden was passed over by a couple of teams this off season before ATL picked him up....and his health was called into question.

You might have a point there. I'm guessing, though, that part of the reason Hayden isn't doing well in Atlanta is playing in a new system.

Really?! Aside from his size...and aside from the fact that he is a million times better than Lacey...and aside from him being 1 of our better coverage corners...can anyone tell me another player on this team with a pick six? Kelvin has 4 I believe. I would LOVE to have him here still. Powers, Hayden, and Tryon as nickle. Lacey has no business being a starter and wouldn't even b a nickle on any other team. 1 mil towards the salary cap to make Lacey a starter? Id rather take out a loan and pay the million myself to keep Kelvin.

I regret evey DB that Irsay and Polian kick to the curb. David, Jackson, Hayden etc.

They also do that to good LB's. Thorton, Peterson etc. Don't be surprised they do that to Angerer.

They will do that to Bracket at the end of the year. Watch. I said it here first.

Yeah, and Matt Giordano, and Marlin Jackson. Our secondary has to be the laughing stock of every QB and offensive coordinator in the league right now.

Yes we are. The game commentators, along with the rest of us, couldn't believe we continued to play man coverage even after both corners were repeatedly burned. Our D coordinator did not make any in-game adjustments and our laughable HC did his usual blank staring. This coaching staff, especially the the D staff is by far the worst in the league, and, btw, Polian should be fired for destroying the secondary and not acquiring DB with a least minimum NFL talent.

Better coaching could make the talent we have on the team work enough to keep us in games and protect 17 point leads. This coaching is laughable and so is Lacey. I just have no clue what specific work set they see in Lacey. He can't play the ball in the air, he is not a man to man guy, not good in breaking on the ball. If I wanted a great run support defensive back, I would go get me another safety. I want a pass protecting cb.

Yes we are. The game commentators, along with the rest of us, couldn't believe we continued to play man coverage even after both corners were repeatedly burned. Our D coordinator did not make any in-game adjustments and our laughable HC did his usual blank staring. This coaching staff, especially the the D staff is by far the worst in the league, and, btw, Polian should be fired for destroying the secondary and not acquiring DB with a least minimum NFL talent.

You should save us all the time and list the guys that you don't think should be fired. It would be a much shorter list and read.

The Colts are missing Matt Giordano. Hard working guy, good reader (anticipates well), plus he's super fast. Better than Caldwell. Should have ket him

More with this stuff? Matt Giordano was let go after the 2008 season. His abscence is not the reason the defense is awful.

From the time Tony Dungy came in as coach, the Colts have been determined to find the smallest available players and prove that size does not matter. All the talk is about how fast the Colts D is. Problem is, when the players get there it takes 4 to get the other guy down. We need a change in philosophy. Size makes a big difference in as physical a game as pro football.

The next question is which DB is Polian and Irsay gonna kick to the curb? Oh yeah thats right it won't matter this time because all we have left is high school talent at that position. At least I wont feel bad this year since there is no one good to be thrown out.