Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Breaking news: Colts trade for Trent Richardson (((merge)))

NCost12

You've got to be kidding me....this guy was a top 3 overall draft choice LAST YEAR. If we can scrap together a wild card-type season, the value we just got is insane. 

Plus, if he is less than 100% right now, we can afford to be patient with him. Cleveland couldn't. 

In other news, Cleveland's now so desperate for RB help they're going to bring in the Moleman to start if Mcgahee doesn't check out.

He shouldn't have been a top 3 pick

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently our O-line is the 5th best run blocking O-line according to PFF. We now have Bradshaw and Richardson. This will mean that defenses cannot focus solely on stopping our passing game. They have to respect both the run and the pass. So in many way, this will help our O-line.

I like this move. Now it's up to our team to make sure it isn't too costly.

Wally West gets it.

Giving up a first rounder for a RB is the problem I have with it....it boggles my mind.

That's the sticking point for me too. I don't mind the concept of TR, I can imagine him being great in this offense... But if they were willing to give up a 1st, I wish it would've been on a legit pass rusher. It would've helped the DBs, freed up Mathis, etc.

Irsay alluded to Grigs rolling the dice. And I agree it is especially if we have a miserable season, but after the top 5? It's hit or miss for a lot of players in the first round anyways.

I think we've seen time and time again that first round pick doesn't equate to a first round quality of player.

This I can agree with we seem awfully free and easy with trading picks sometimes, when you look at the stockpilers like the 49ers and Pats they can afford to draft risky players as they have more dice rolls.

The proof is in the pudding I guess, I still worry about the O line big time.

Let's see. 

We currently have a running back coming of a foot injury that is signed for 1 year. 

We have another that is on the last year of his contract and probably won't be re-signed. 

We have another that just blew up his knee and we have no idea how he'll be when he returns. 

So we go out and grab a guy who was a top-5 pick and who could become our answer at RB for the next 6-7 years for a pick around what.....20th or so?  And some people are complaining? 

If the Colts can make the playoffs, or get very close to it, that draft pick would be worth it for Trent.

If they have a bad year, it's more questionable.

However, now the Colts get a legit running back who has the potential to be a top 10 player in the NFL (although maybe not with the Colts). It's a great trade for fans, the team and everyone. The Browns almost guarantee a bad season now.

I think this is a very good trade. Trent Richardson was a top 3 pick last year and had top 10 talent. This has crazy potential written all over it.

I LOVE IT!!!!! I'm just very surprised right now.

Yep. I thought this was an April Fool's Day joke when I first read it but then I remembered that it's September. haha

My brother in law is a Browns fan, as if that a worse enough fate, they just lost their star player. However it's not hard to be a star for the Browns lol.

I'm hoping he can live up to potential, but we will see. He's skilled enough, but that doesn't always translate.

Consider it this way:

Richardson was the 3rd overall pick and certainly a top 5 player in that draft.  Our first round pick in 2014 is likely to be after 20.  So we went from 20 to get a top 5 player.  If he can stay healthy, this will be an incredible deal

AND he will most certainly replace Donald Brown who was a 1st round bust.

Let's see. 

We currently have a running back coming of a foot injury that is signed for 1 year. 

We have another that is on the last year of his contract and probably won't be re-signed. 

We have another that just blew up his knee and we have no idea how he'll be when he returns. 

So we go out and grab a guy who was a top-5 pick and who could become our answer at RB for the next 6-7 years for a pick around what.....20th or so?  And some people are complaining? 

Great post! You put it all in perspective!

This is the first trade or acquisition the Colts have made in a long time where the Colts got a BEAST.

No, Caesar Rayford, or any of the free agent pickups were made are/were not beasts.

Trent's a beast. This is probably the 2nd biggest trade in Indy Colts history. 

My brother in law is a Browns fan, as if that a worse enough fate, they just lost their star player. However it's not hard to be a star for the Browns lol.

I'm hoping he can live up to potential, but we will see. He's skilled enough, but that doesn't always translate.

Yeah, I was gonna say that the Browns traded their best player but then I remembered Joe Haden. They must want to run out of QBs before the season's over, because Hoyer is going to be killed without the threat of the run game and Weeden is already out. You're right, we'll have to wait and see if Richardson's talent transfers over to Hamilton's pass-first offense. Should be interesting to see if he plays Sunday.

House, I hope your computer catches a virus. And your GTA spontaneous combusts in your system -___-

Wait did you not get GTA or something TK? If it makes you feel better I have it, but it's still in the shrink wrap because I haven't time to play it.

I agree, I agree, I agree.

But Richardson is a really good back, better than anyone we've had since 2000 Edgerrin James. There's upside now, but giving up a first is strange. We had better make the playoffs, otherwise that pick is going to be much more valuable than the player.

i think you nay sayers are wrong on this one. Richardson has been nicked up and playing for a team where opponents played mostly 8 in the box. He should be better than what we would have available in 2014 draft. I wonder how much of the 13 mill in signing bonus the Browns eat ? I looked at various cap sites and cannot find anything more than 13 mill prorated over 4 years. Could it be that they have to eat the whole bonus ? I don't see anything that says part was a roster bonus in later years.....

the people complaining need to stop. we got a sure fire rb in trent r. and he finally gives the colts that dynamic attack they have been missing since edgerrin james left.

Just told my wife the exact same thing.  I prefaced it with 1st round bust Donald Brown.  GO COLTS