Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Loss Sucks But...

Coltsman1788

As long as Painter is QB and Caldwell is coach we have a real shot at it! I don't mean to hate on Curtis the kid is trying but he is no more than an average backup QB and I think he's about as good as he's going to get right now.

After what I just saw, anyone should be embarrassed to even mention Painter as part of today's collapse.

As long as Painter is QB and Caldwell is coach we have a real shot at it! I don't mean to hate on Curtis the kid is trying but he is no more than an average backup QB and I think he's about as good as he's going to get right now.

Curtis isn't the problem in my opinion. He and the offense will improve the more he plays. It is our woeful defense and the Tampa 2 scheme of Coyer that gives us virtually no shot at winning.

After what I just saw, anyone should be embarrassed to even mention Painter as part of today's collapse.

Why so? He didn't play well at all in the second half and made some downright bad throws to stall drives hence the defense was on the field way too long and probably got worn down to some extent. I'm not giving the defense a pass by any stretch(Lacey was horrible) but our total lack of offense in the 2nd half is just as much to blame for the loss.

Can we please get rid of Caldwell!!!??? He has made some ridiculous coaching calls

I assume you are referencing his going for it on 4th down late in the game. Meh..I actually like that he went for it there. If he hadn't gone for it in that situation he would have caught flack from fans for that as well so it was really a no win situation for him unless they successfully converted it. But I do agree with you overall in that he has made many head scratchers during his tenure here.

Why so? He didn't play well at all in the second half and made some downright bad throws to stall drives hence the defense was on the field way too long and probably got worn down to some extent. I'm not giving the defense a pass by any stretch(Lacey was horrible) but our total lack of offense in the 2nd half is just as much to blame for the loss.

Some of those Painter 2nd half drives would have been extended at least if Dallas Clark didn't forget how to catch a football. Painter wasn't the goat in this one. Defense was a no show and Dallas needs to show up for quarterbacks not named Peyton.

Curtis isn't the problem in my opinion. He and the offense will improve the more he plays. It is our woeful defense and the Tampa 2 scheme of Coyer that gives us virtually no shot at winning.

Amen. To the moderator of this site, please apply this statment to every post that places any blame on any part of our organizaion related to our performance. While Polians miscues the past 3 years, Caldwell's decisions throughout the game, play calling, Manning being gone, etc, have all played a part to our current state of affairs, nothing, IMO, is more glaring of an issue than our defense. It is sad and pathetic. Enough of the "our defense is built to play with a lead" matra. What about the Super Bowl? We were up 10-0. What about today? We were up by 17. What a joke. While the offense didn't show up in the second half, neither did our defense and it all started at the end of the first half when they let them march right down the field and score a td in less than 50 seconds. Pathetic.

When it was 3rd and 10, why didn't we call more shorter play and get yardage and put us in a manageable short yardage play? Why? Why? why? Why?

I was thinking that as well, we didnt even try to give ourselves a chance. Probably because Caldwell was going to punt no matter what until the Crowd booed his rear end into changing his mind after the penalty.

Our running game fell off entirely and key drive stopping drops by Dallas, specifically. Painter played well enough for us to win, and that is all we can ask of someone in his position.

So you think that he should be able to pull Peyton tricks out of his you knopw what after he built a 17 to nothing lead for his D? They were hardly on the field in the first half, and now Painter is expected to bail them out when they can’t perform like Peyton has? I don’t think so.

Ok, Curtis Painter played well enough to win. I am not giving him any props though. He got lucky on a few plays that he backed up from the rush from and found some players down field. The big pass to Garcon was nice, but it was a blown defensive play. I am not going to bust on him like I said. He played good enough to win. I agree with the person that said we are supposed to have a defense that plays with the lead. No we dont. We have a defense that plays well with the other team thinking that Peyton will be out on the field soon , so we better pass as much as we can and out score them. If that makes any since. What I am saying is we play a defense( tampa 2) that is based on the idea of getting to the quarterback and sitting our DB off the line to prevent any big plays. We drop our LB deep to prevent the same thing. Here is the problem with that. If they run the ball well, then the middle of the field is too soft and they can run for 6 to 8 yards easily up the gut. This also makes the corners easy targets for quick slants. As we have seen all season. The other teams are killing us with the slants. What I am saying is our defense was built to sack the quarterback and keep them from throwing it deep. Because, our offense scored so much with Peyton that the other teams had to throw the ball alot more, or at least for the first decade they thought they had too. Then they found out running it up the gut against us and the quick slants was a better model for beating us. And it works. It doesnt help that we have just plain awful defensive backs and our best linbacker right now is like 5 foot tall.

to this date, have Caldwell made any calls that seemed good or with a touch of genius? curious cuz I can't recall any.

only 1 but not really him but luyck , attemtling to punt late in the game in the 4th qrter luckly the other team went offsides so he did change his mind and gave Painter a chance

Big Deal Right

When it was 3rd and 10, why didn't we call more shorter play and get yardage and put us in a manageable short yardage play? Why? Why? why? Why?

Beacuse we cant execute plays..as good as Curtis Painter was in the firts half..

..that's how mediocre he was in the 2nd half...

..ansd we had no defensive tackles..and it appeared..no corners..

i agree coyers defense is pathetic

If we're being totally honest..Painter missed KEY passes in the second half...

I hope he'll get better the more he plays..

Its not Coyer's defense. we cant tackle well and we were outmanned on the line today..

we were 10-6 last year with the same defense..

Ok, Curtis Painter played well enough to win. I am not giving him any props though. He got lucky on a few plays that he backed up from the rush from and found some players down field. The big pass to Garcon was nice, but it was a blown defensive play. I am not going to bust on him like I said. He played good enough to win.

What's it going to take to give Painter some credit? The big pass to Garcon was a blown coverage because Painter looked the safety off and pump faked, and all of a sudden Garcon is wide open. It's not like the defender fell down or Garcon was completely ignored on the play. Painter deserves monumental credit for that play.

Ok, Curtis Painter played well enough to win. I am not giving him any props though. He got lucky on a few plays that he backed up from the rush from and found some players down field. The big pass to Garcon was nice, but it was a blown defensive play. I am not going to bust on him like I said. He played good enough to win. I agree with the person that said we are supposed to have a defense that plays with the lead. No we dont. We have a defense that plays well with the other team thinking that Peyton will be out on the field soon , so we better pass as much as we can and out score them. If that makes any since. What I am saying is we play a defense( tampa 2) that is based on the idea of getting to the quarterback and sitting our DB off the line to prevent any big plays. We drop our LB deep to prevent the same thing. Here is the problem with that. If they run the ball well, then the middle of the field is too soft and they can run for 6 to 8 yards easily up the gut. This also makes the corners easy targets for quick slants. As we have seen all season. The other teams are killing us with the slants. What I am saying is our defense was built to sack the quarterback and keep them from throwing it deep. Because, our offense scored so much with Peyton that the other teams had to throw the ball alot more, or at least for the first decade they thought they had too. Then they found out running it up the gut against us and the quick slants was a better model for beating us. And it works. It doesnt help that we have just plain awful defensive backs and our best linbacker right now is like 5 foot tall.

Being honest, stopped reading after this. If they only played 2 quarters then yes he played more than well enough to win this game, but it's a tale of two halves. He and that offense disappeared in the 2nd half.

Curtis was great in the first half..but he missed someone receivers in the second half...and he had siem troubel with hsi footwork on handoffs

..but he's the back up QB......he did all he could

Being honest, stopped reading after this. If they only played 2 quarters then yes he played more than well enough to win this game, but it's a tale of two halves. He and that offense disappeared in the 2nd half.

I'm going to watch the game again, bu I don't think Painter cost us the game in th second half. It was conservative play calling and poor defense that cost us the game.

I'm going to watch the game again, bu I don't think Painter cost us the game in th second half. It was conservative play calling and poor defense that cost us the game.

I'm not saying he cost us the game. He didn't do that. I'm saying the offense as a whole put the defense in a horrible situation the 2nd half. Clark dropping passes, offensive line getting torn to shreds on running plays and the RBs getting little to no gains, overthrown passes or passes not in the same galaxy as the WR and overall failure to execute. It led to the defense being put back onto the field very quickly and they were worn down and it let to sloppy tackles, CBs getting beat and just showing they ran out of gas.