Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is This The Worst Colts Team Ever In The Indy Era?

PreManningColtsFan

I realize we've had a lot of really bad teams and this season is only nearly a third over, but what teams were worse? Again, I realize the season's not over, but this team collectively just simply isn't good.

Here's a list of really bad Indy era teams:

1) '91 Colts..........tough to beat this Jeff George squad who finished 1-15. Team finished 28th on offense and 26 on defense in points.

2) '86 Colts..........3-13. Good 'ol Jack Tredua and Billy Brooks........team finished 27th in offense and 25 on defense in points.

3) '93 Colts..............4-14. Jeff George. I won't elaborate any further.

4) "97 and '98 Colts...........team had a young Manning and Marshall Faulk but finished 3-13 in both seasons.

Feel free to weigh in.......Bring back the "Lord help our Colts" song on q-95.

I realize we've had a lot of really bad teams and this season is only nearly a third over, but what teams were worse? Again, I realize the season's not over, but this team collectively just simply isn't good.

Here's a list of really bad Indy era teams:

1) '91 Colts..........tough to beat this Jeff George squad who finished 1-15. Team finished 28th on offense and 26 on defense in points.

2) '86 Colts..........3-13. Good 'ol Jack Tredua and Billy Brooks........team finished 27th in offense and 25 on defense in points.

3) '93 Colts..............4-14. Jeff George. I won't elaborate any further.

4) "97 and '98 Colts...........team had a young Manning and Marshall Faulk but finished 3-13 in both seasons.

Feel free to weigh in.......Bring back the "Lord help our Colts" song on q-95.

no,heck no.Those early 90's teams were horrible and far less talented.If it wasn't for a lucky bounce in the 91 Jet's game they woud have been the first winless team that year.

Edited by mahagga73

I don't think this team is nearly that bad. We just can't seem to close games when we have a lead. That's the difference between having Curtis Painter and Peyton Manning though. The latter will remain productive even when the other team adjusts.

That's how "playing with the lead" was a successful philosophy with Manning.

No not at all, I think the early 90's Colts, like the 91 Colts we're the worst. We could beat them any day

Like I said, the year is only a third over. We could stay the same which is competitive. We could improve and win a few games or we could digress like we did in the second half. If you look at how our stats rank in the league, we are approaching '91 stats. However, I do have to agree that the '91 squad was absolutely putrid.

Not the worst....BUT...what a bunch of underachieving losers.

We're seeing guys like Dallas, whom I thought had HoF potential, playing like a total fail. A defense that can only rush the passer, thats it, one dimensional.

We had a 17 point head start and total collapse....AGAINST KC?

I don't think this team is nearly that bad. We just can't seem to close games when we have a lead. That's the difference between having Curtis Painter and Peyton Manning though. The latter will remain productive even when the other team adjusts.

That's how "playing with the lead" was a successful philosophy with Manning.

Our defense is as much, if not more, to blame than Manning being out. It's the same old problem bro. Our scheme is basic and guys don't tackle. How many times have we seen teams bust big runs at the end of the game when we need our defense to come up with a stop so our offense can get the ball back. This team is bad man. While we've lost 3 starters due to injury, Bracket may be the only player that would actually start on other teams in the league. We have no depth an the top heavy contracts of Peyton, Freeney, Clark, etc kill our depth. Today was painful.

Coming close only counts in hoarseshoes and hand grenades. If statistically we are at the bottom in about every category, you can't get much worse then that. Defensively I think this is by far the worse defense team we have ever had here. Just because we get sacks but the same players consistently over pursue every play after that..what else can be said.

Coming close only counts in hoarseshoes and hand grenades. If statistically we are at the bottom in about every category, you can't get much worse then that. Defensively I think this is by far the worse defense team we have ever had here. Just because we get sacks but the same players consistently over pursue every play after that..what else can be said.

Going into this game, we were 30th in offense and 25 in defense. Only Seattle and JAX tralied us offensively. After today's performance defensively and since these stats are measured in yards gained (offensively) and yards allowed (defensively), we may move up a little in rankings on offense and we are definitely dropping on defense. The defense is an absolute joke.

We're seeing guys like Dallas, whom I thought had HoF potential, playing like a total fail. A defense that can only rush the passer, thats it, one dimensional.

Peyton made Dallas. That is becoming very evident this year. Clark is vastly overrated.

This team sucks this year because the defense is putrid but still it is nowhere close to as bad of some of those Indy teams from the early nineties.

Edited by Coltsman1788

The one thing that makes this worse is, I had expectations of this team, and I did not have any expectations of those aforementioned Colts squads. Even without Manning, I expected them to be able to win.

So, even though this team isn't the worst, I think this is an all time low for Colts fans.

This is who they always have been. This is what Manning has covered up for years. There is no greater testament to how good of a player the man is than this season. When they win 12 games next year there will be no question remaining who the greatest quarterback is.

This team is not even close to the worst ever Indy team but they may end up with the worst record of any Indy team.

I would say I agree that this team is more talented than the '91 squad and certainly has more play makers. Make no mistake, the '91 squad was awful. When I look at the schedule, aside from the home game against JAX, it's tough to locate a win. The schedule in the first five games is the easiest of the stretch. We may as well throw in the Bengals next week but they beat JAX in JAX today. Their defense is near the top of the league and the offense with AJ Green and A Dalton is improving every week. We will get rolled by the Saints in New Orleans. I don't know bro. I think you are right...........we may be winless. Unreal.

Edited by PreManningColtsFan

What you are seeing is the future without Manning. Manning makes others look much better than they are. With the exception of Reggie Wayne the other receivers are only average at best. Dallas Clark is like a lost puppy without Peyton. Is this the worst team......No but they could go winless which would put them up there with the worst!

I remember in 91 we were so close to beating Miami in the last game that would have made us 2-14.......and I was going to be happy with that as a 14 year old......this franchise has come a long way since those days. Better days to come again, but man, we really need the front office to start addressing the obvious with FA's and draft picks like the rest of the league rather than hoping for UDFA's to come in cheap and hold the cracks like bubble gum.

'91 so far.

Stay tuned.

It will come down to whether this team gets behind Painter offensively. If they do, we have a chance. As long as our scheme remains the same, which it will, the defense won't get any better and will most likely get worse. Powers was injured today which is becoming an annual event. The secondary was bad, real bad, with him and it will be the worst in the nfl without him. Our interior defensive line is arguably the worst in the league. In the last two games against the Bucs and Chiefs, the defense has allowed 192 yards / 5.3 ypc and 194 yard / 5.1 ypc respectively rushing. They've allowed a total of 436 yards against the chiefs and 466 against the bucs. Offensively, the bucs and chiefs, going into today's game, were ranked 16h and 29 respectively. Going to be a long year folks and as much as I'd like to put this on us losing Manning, I can't. All around, this team has problems and the biggest issue may very well be the defense. We need a change of scheme and a new d coordinator. Our soft Tampa two scheme does nothing more than get us hurt due to our undersized players and can't get off the field..........seemingly ever. Our biggest weapon on defense is the endzone.

Edited by PreManningColtsFan

No, not at all. This team has talent but a very poor to very bad head coach.

Really? We are 0-5 because of Caldwell? Explain how having a different coach would have changed the outcome of the last 5 games? Would our defense have stopped the Browns or the Bucs or the Chiefs today had a different head coach been on the sidelines? This teams problems extend far beyond the HC. I have to give Caldwell credit. We have been in every game, albeit the first week, and the team is giving their best effort. If anything is Caldwell's fault and he truly is the one who decides who will start and who won't, then he is to blame for bringing in Collins and not starting Painter in the first week. Beyond that, this team is winless with any other coach.

Really? We are 0-5 because of Caldwell? Explain how having a different coach would have changed the outcome of the last 5 games? Would our defense have stopped the Browns or the Bucs or the Chiefs today had a different head coach been on the sidelines? This teams problems extend far beyond the HC. I have to give Caldwell credit. We have been in every game, albeit the first week, and the team is giving their best effort. If anything is Caldwell's fault and he truly is the one who decides who will start and who won't, then he is to blame for bringing in Collins and not starting Painter in the first week. Beyond that, this team is winless with any other coach.

Did you watch the Bucs game where everyone in the world wanted our coaches to stop running the Tampa 2, but apparently they couldnt figure it out? Someone on this board has been posting statistics of how bad our defense is when we drop deep coverage, but I guess the coaches dont perform such analysis themselves.

Did you watch the Bucs game where everyone in the world wanted our coaches to stop running the Tampa 2, but apparently they couldnt figure it out? Someone on this board has been posting statistics of how bad our defense is when we drop deep coverage, but I guess the coaches dont perform such analysis themselves.

Yes I did. My first thought was just like you said, and then I tried to be reasonable. I don't think it's anything our coaches don't realize. The issue is personnel as much as scheme. We are so top heavy with salary that we continue to plug in players that are undrafted and aren't very talented. Since they aren't very talented, we have to be conservative in our defensive play calling and "keep everything in front of us". Well clearly, everything was in front of us for the Tampa game. 6 and 7 yards at a time. Puke.

Yes I did. My first thought was just like you said, and then I tried to be reasonable. I don't think it's anything our coaches don't realize. The issue is personnel as much as scheme. We are so top heavy with salary that we continue to plug in players that are undrafted and aren't very talented. Since they aren't very talented, we have to be conservative in our defensive play calling and "keep everything in front of us". Well clearly, everything was in front of us for the Tampa game. 6 and 7 yards at a time. Puke.

I agree wholeheartedly about the UDFA thing. Gets old.

Isn't it the HCs job to motivate his players, adjust the gameplan to the situation at hand on the field? Caldwell does none of those things. I feel like throwing something heavy at my tv everytime I see Caldwells "deer in the headlight-look". I don't question his personality, but I question his ability, or lack thereof to motivate and COACH this team.

Edited by mark_dk

This is who they always have been.

Insert ^ Dennis Green meltdown video?

Also...for anyone comparing this to the Jeff George experience, there is no comparison. I'll take everything that's going on, all day, every day vs. George. The guy brought the full compliment of dysfunction to go along with our bad play.